PDA

View Full Version : Draft Winds: What the Dolphins want in a receiver

BAMAPHIN 22
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
So what is the physical make up of a Joe Philbin WR? Well, Donald Driver is essentially the archetypal Joe Philbin WR even though he was drafted four years before coach arrived in Milwaukee. At 6’0 and 194lbs, he fits perfectly into the mold of what a Philbin receiver is. Of those 11 receivers, only Jordy Nelson at 6’3, 217lbs stands out. Everyone else is between 5’11 and 6’1 with Greg Jennings, one of the NFL’s best, measuring in at 5’11, 198 and totally dispelling the rumour that a number one type receiver has to be 6’3+. Size wise, again Nelson is the exception along with 7th rounder DeAndrew Rubin (173lbs). Everyone else measures in at between 186 and 208lbs. And speed is another factor. These are not burners. Randall Cobb was a mid-4.5 guy. Nelson 4.51, Murphy mid 4.4’s. Jennings ran a 4.49. But a lot of them were team captains, cerebral guys, experienced collegiate receivers. So let’s dispel the Justin Blackmon’s and the Michael Floyd’s and probably the Kendall Wright’s and the Stephen Hill’s for now because they’re likely to go in round 1 and look at some of the players that would fit the mold given what we know using the parameters above. We’re looking for good wideouts, 5’11 to 6’1 and between 186 and 208lbs with terrific YAC ability; look at what Nelson, Jennings and Cobb can do after the catch. Then think about what Brandon Marshall did after the catch and you’re beginning to see why he didn’t fit the Philbin WR chart. So which receivers at the Combine did in terms of size? In alphabetical order; Tim Benford of Tennessee Tech, Lavon Brazill of Ohio, Danny Coale of Virginia Tech, Josh Cooper of Oklahoma State, Chris Givins of Wake Forest, TJ Graham of NC State, Darius Hanks of Alabama, Jerrell Jackson of Missouri, AJ Jenkins of Illinois, Marvin Jones of Cal, Keshawn Martin of Michigan State, Chris Owusu of Stanford, Jordan White of Western Michigan.The two names that stand out as real possibilities are Chris Givens of Wake Forest and Marvin Jones of Cal. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if either ended up being the Dolphins second round pick. Givens is 5’11, 203 and Jones is 6’1, 199. http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2012/03/draft_winds_what_the_dolphins.html

xXwarXx
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Nice post, you know your probably breaking a lot hearts though? I know i was definitely on the blackmon or Floyd bandwagon.

Tunaphish429
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
As far as height is concerned and big play type ability...The Wr coming out this year that reminds me of the GB ones is Kendall Wright..I wonder if he falls to the 2nd round.

fishfanmiami
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Good information. Thanks for the research. As your post shows there are lots of option in rounds 2 and 3 so I would look to trade down for more picks and double up on recievers.

Kdawg954
03-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Green Bay certainly did a good job of finding guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at WR to compliment the offense Joe Philbin had.

That being said, those "big 4" WR's should definitely not be discounted, but it wasn't the norm for Green Bay under Philbin.

SebasMiamiFan
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
That's why I'm not pessimistic. I think Philbin is really smart and he knows what he wants. I have faith.

Anvil35
Its funny, BamaFin, that all of these "football minds" on this site will react to the Manning posts or other related drama but not comment on solid analysis about a position of need. Flynn will become a Dolpin, IMO, and we will need more receivers in the mold of which you spoke. I have not heard of any of the receivers, so I will youtube them - my own due diligence. I like Wright - some article on receivers I have read say he will be the better pro than Blackmon. This draft is going to be very entertaining, interesting and possibly frustrating...Thanks for this thread.

foozool13
I could easily see us doubling up on WRs this year. This draft is heaviest with WR talent. If we were to trade B-Marsh this was the "best" year to do it draft wise. I think we grab one in Round 2 and 3. I def agree with the original post that Chris Givens could be our guy in round 2. If Kendall Wright is there in the second round its a no brainer to me, but I doubt he falls that far. I think he goes late 1st for sure. TY Hilton is also another guy I think we will grab in round 3 or 4.

Elliott 1
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Childs in round 3.

kloud_9
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I think he can bring the best out of gates,bess and hartline.all have some run after catch ability and still feel neither have been utilized correctly..I can't wait to see how he uses those guys and who we may bring in.there is value at receiver in the 2nd and 3rd round and not relying on just one guy will make your offense so much better.if Marshall wasn't doin anything we looked like we didn't know how to use what we had.you have Sherman and philbin,you can't get a better offensive combo than that.be patient,I think we will do well on offense next year

xXwarXx
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Ps, nice list of WRs, although I'm underwhelmed with a lot of those names on there, I just don't think a lot of the names there are that good.

One name I absolutely love and could see in this wco, is Jordan White. That guy is really really good, one of those names where people say "who" when he's drafted, and go damn when they see him play.

Roman529
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Depending on whether we trade down or pick up any guys in free agency, I would target the following receivers in these rounds -

Round One - 1. Justin Blackmon, 2. Michael Floyd, 3. Kendall Wright
Round Two - 4. Mohamed Sanu, 5. Alshon Jeffrey, 6. Stephen Hill, 7. Rueben Randle
Round Three - 8. Nick Toon, 9. Juron Criner, 10. Dwight Jones, 11. Brian Quick, 12. Tommy Streeter
Round Four - 13. Joe Adams, 14. Chris Givens, 15. T.Y. Hilton, 16. Devier Posey, 17. Marvin Jones
Round Five - 18. Eric Page, 19. Ryan Broyles

datruth55
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Chris Givens is a nice player but a lot of teams will be scared off by the fact that he's had two ACL tears already. Kid is fast though, in high school he ran a 10.4 100 meters. I can't remember what his official 40 time was at the Combine but his unofficial runs were 4.37 and 4.40. He was very productive last year with 83 receptions for 1330 yards and 9 TDs. He a big time YAC guy, lots of short passes in the Wake Forest offense.

The advisory board gave him a 3rd round grade so maybe he's there with one of our 3rd round picks.

gregorygrant83
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I can't see GIvens going high in the 2nd round. Maybe late 3rd or early 4th. Jordan White and Aj Jenkins in the 3rd, 4th or 5th would be nice.

Austin Tatious
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Marvin McNutt is another name to add to the mix because of the familiarity with O'Keefe, the new WR coach.

datruth55
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I can't see GIvens going high in the 2nd round. Maybe late 3rd or early 4th. Jordan White and Aj Jenkins in the 3rd, 4th or 5th would be nice.
Jordan White will probably go pretty late. 4.69 official 40 at the combine and 4.57/4.60 at his pro day.

KevInMotion
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Depending on whether we trade down or pick up any guys in free agency, I would target the following receivers in these rounds -

Round Two - 4. Mohamed Sanu, 5. Alshon Jeffrey, 6. Stephen Hill, 7. Rueben Randle
Round Three - 8. Nick Toon, 9. Juron Criner, 10. Dwight Jones, 11. Brian Quick, 12. Tommy Streeter
Round Four - 13. Joe Adams, 14. Chris Givens, 15. T.Y. Hilton, 16. Devier Posey, 17. Marvin Jones

You don't think Stephen Hill will go higher than that??
I've read some stuff to suggest that Hill wouldn't make it past the 49ers @ 30, or the Pats @ 31.
It's scary how much he reminds me of Megatron, and not just cause they're both Yellow Jackets.

yardlaw
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Great post, thanks for breaking the monotony

electrolyte
03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Mark Duper height : 5'9
Mark Clayton height : 5'9

Gonzo
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I'll wait and see on it, but as of now, articles and arguments like this just seem to be attempts at explaining away the fact that we don't have any good receivers. It's like a used car dealer trying to sell you a car with 3 wheels. "No man, this car was designed to run on three wheels."

dreday
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM

hard to see what philbin and co. might do.i'll just as soon as let them do work.

Harry Csonka
03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I like Ryan Broyles for this team.

Markcalius
03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
What happened to Draft Winds this week???