PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on WR's in Draft

miamirw
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2012/03/draft_winds_what_the_dolphins.html

I feel alot better now. I had heard that this draft is especially deep at the WR position. We'll probably pick up two of these guys. When you combine the fact that Philbin's offense doesn't really feature a true prototypical #1, you can classify a lot of these guys according to their GB Receiver equivalent.

Greg Jennings/Donald Driver Type:
1. Marvin Jones
2. Chris Givens
3. B.J. Cunningham

Jordy Nelson Type:
1. Marvin McNutt
2. Tommy Streeter

Randall Cobb Type:
1. T.Y Hilton
2. Devin Wylie

ckparrothead
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
That would be our Draft Winds piece. Yup.

NBP81
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Read the whole article, nice find. Now Bess really looks like a guy who could benefit from Philbin's playbook IMO...

vagrantprodigy
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
I really want the guy from GA tech. Or Streeter.

Vontae21
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Streeter is so overrated, would rather have floyd or brian quick

kloud_9
03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
No to Marvin Jones...super overated and also to streeter,unless all he is good for is go routes..criner,broyles,quick are some of the guys to keep an eye on in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.good run after catch receivers that could definitely fit what he is lookin for. Jones has horrible character issues and is worse than Jeffrey with bump and run.hellls no

ANUFan
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Ck, a follow-up on what you and your mates wrote. Based on the article does that mean that this WCO that's going to be installed doesn't need or rely on a "" #1 receiver? Rather it's predicated more on a synergistical relationship amongst all of the receiving weapons for maximum effectiveness?

j-off-her-doll
03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Just now reading this article, but I just posted an inquiry of sorts on the Draft Forum about Jones. I'm just getting around to watching the guy, and I came away with similar impressions - in regard to him being a fit for the new offense. Don't know much about givens.

ITS!MATEO
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Floyd and Suna. Bank on them coming in strong as rookies on any team that drafts them. Hopefully us..

But yeah this draft is deep with talent at the wide out position. Arguably every round has someone there that we should be looking at. I would like to see us pick up 2 wr in the first 75 picks though.

xXwarXx
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Fantastic article, these are the kind of articles that make me lovethe off season.

ckparrothead
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Ck, a follow-up on what you and your mates wrote. Based on the article does that mean that this WCO that's going to be installed doesn't need or rely on a "" #1 receiver? Rather it's predicated more on a synergistical relationship amongst all of the receiving weapons for maximum effectiveness?

More or less, yes.

I think if you look at the snap counts of the WRs over the years up in Green Bay they're not dominated by one guy. You want the quarterback to make the decisions about where to go with the football based on matchups and what he sees in the defense. So, in that way, whoever is the alpha of the group (most talented) is probably going to get the most action. But look at the snap counts of the five guys...

Jennings - 713
Nelson - 699
Driver - 562
Jones - 557
Cobb - 308

That's about as egalitarian as you get. Even though many would pick Greg Jennings a the "#1 WR"...he got taken OFF the field on 1 out of 4 snaps during the games he played. He was on the field for about 85% of the pass snaps during the games he played. As much as Jordy Nelson dominated this year, he was on the field only 68% of the pass snaps.

Brandon Marshall was on the field for 94% of all the Dolphins pass plays.

EndZoneOnly
03-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Floyd holds pretty much every receiving record imaginable at Notre Dame, including receptions (271), yards (3686), and touchdowns (37) in 43 career games for the Fighting Irish. Last season he had a nice even 100 catches for 1147 yards and 9 touchdowns, and that's with every defensive coordinator knowing he was getting the ball. He also went over 1000 yards in his junior season. Michael Floyd...........Grab Him
Streeter is so overrated, would rather have floyd or brian quick

ckparrothead
03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Floyd is an EXCELLENT receiver. But I don't think Joe Philbin will be in love with the idea of grabbing someone high in the first round at that position.

hooshoops
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
thats a good read but marvin mcnutt is not anything i'm interested in...enduro says devier posey is a guy we evidently are high on and while he tested well he's another no thanks for me...i didn't think marvin mcnutt all week showed he could separate from anyone at the senior bowl...i saw dbs in his hip all week long...

chris owusu looks like a 4.6 guy on tape but ran a 4.4 flat pretty much...another no thanks

the kid from cal i must say jones is intriguing i liked his work this postseason in draft preps...but pick #40...ehhh...a little rich for me

i think the terrific wr fit for us in this o would be kendall wright...

Travis34
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Greg Jennings is a #1.

j-off-her-doll
03-16-2012, 06:04 PM
thats a good read but marvin mcnutt is not anything i'm interested in...enduro says devier posey is a guy we evidently are high on and while he tested well he's another no thanks for me...i didn't think marvin mcnutt all week showed he could separate from anyone at the senior bowl...i saw dbs in his hip all week long...

chris owusu looks like a 4.6 guy on tape but ran a 4.4 flat pretty much...another no thanks

the kid from cal i must say jones is intriguing i liked his work this postseason in draft preps...but pick #40...ehhh...a little rich for me

i think the terrific wr fit for us in this o would be kendall wright...

I'd love to trade down and pick up Fleener or Wright.

Awsi Dooger
03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Those Green Bay numbers were compiled with Favre and Rodgers. Even if the philosophy is to spread it around evenly, I doubt it unfolds cleanly that way without a terrific quarterback who can scan the field quickly and slow down the game.

In short, I think we need a #1 guy. I don't like exceptions, to believe that we can use rules that don't apply to the vast majority of the league, or the sport in general for 5+ decades.

Regardless, if it's a wide receiver heavy draft we need to dip a couple of times, unlike two years ago when tight ends were plentiful and we watched the league fortify without us.

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I fail to see what anyone could be head over heels about with anything at all in regards to Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt. One of the first things I ever noticed about Jones was his tendancy to fight the ball into his hands. McNutt was completely dominated by Jamell Fleming. They're both certainly draftable, but I wouldn't take either before the 4th round.

Devier Posey isn't even on my draft board.

There's literally 25 different receivers that I'm more partial to than those 3... some of them were touched on in the article (Danny Coale, Chris Givens, T.J. Graham, etc.)

yardlaw
03-16-2012, 06:20 PM
T.Y. Hilton is the goods, lots of potential

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Coaches look at the term "balance" entirely different than fans do.

The term 'balance' to coaches is in regards to their specific system, and how many touches guys get. It has nothing at all to do with run/pass ratio.

An offensive coach achieves balance through snap count and getting the ball spread around an equal amount to his playmakers.

The term "balance" is going to have a completely different meaning to an "Air Raid" or Run-&-Shoot coach than it's going to have to an offensive coach like Paul Chryst.

Joe Philbin's definition of "balance" is probably more in line with achieving it through getting the ball spread around to his playmakers. In other words, his wide receivers.

MiamiDolphin618
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
There's literally 25 different receivers that I'm more partial to than those 3... some of them were touched on in the article (Danny Coale, Chris Givens, T.J. Graham, etc.)
Slimm who are some of your favorites in the middle rounds? Im pretty high on Ty Hilton and Joe Adams. I think they would fit this offense pretty well

j-off-her-doll
03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I fail to see what anyone could be head over heels about with anything at all in regards to Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt. One of the first things I ever noticed about Jones was his tendancy to fight the ball into his hands. McNutt was completely dominated by Jamell Fleming. They're both certainly draftable, but I wouldn't take either before the 4th round.

Devier Posey isn't even on my draft board.

Haven't watched him a ton, but I like the way Jones moves. The biggest gripe I have with him - in the stuff I watched - is that he lets the CB press him to the sideline too much. Again, limited exposure to him, but he looks like the kind of WR I envision in this offense.

Lord Of Miami
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I think guys that would fit well here are A.J. Jenkins , Greg Childs , Nick Toon, and Kendall Wright.

state06
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Floyd is an EXCELLENT receiver. But I don't think Joe Philbin will be in love with the idea of grabbing someone high in the first round at that position.

I agree with this statement; however, i think Ireland will feel the heat from MIA to seriously consider drafting a "Number 1 receiver". I sincerely hope Philban has a huge hand in who we draft. if he wants to succeed, he will need to plug in HIS guys into HIS offense, not ireland's .

finfan54
03-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks to CK and clan for this article. I can wrap my arms around some WR's now with this philosophy in mind. thanks for getting the juices flowing.

hooshoops
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
the thing about jones from cal for me is when i watched cal during the season he wasn't a guy that stood out to me...he looked like a jag to me...now keenan allen...that kid really stood out

hooshoops
03-16-2012, 11:09 PM
i forgot to mention that i like that miami spent close attention watching olivier vernons pro day...i like that a lot...i'm tellin ya there's some edge rush talent there...not great hips but similar tools to cam wake...reminds me in a lot of ways of him

i see untapped potential

Shabam88
03-16-2012, 11:23 PM

CK I have been digging for your opinion on Floyd at 8...if we land Mark Anderson no reason to draft Coples or any other DE. Thoughts?

Edit: Saw the tidbit about Floyd on p.2

datruth55
03-17-2012, 06:32 PM
I was sure that Greg Jennings was faster than 4.49, looked it up...he ran 4.42 at the combine.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=14118&draftyear=2006&genpos=WR

Randall Cobb ran 4.46
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82261&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Jordy Nelson did run 4.51 at the combine like the article says but he also had a 1.50 10-yard split which was better than Greg Jennings and Randle Cobb.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=12364&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

The one WR that might be the sleeper in all this is Junior Hemmingway from Michigan. When I was watching the combine and this kid stepped up to the line to run the 40 I was thinking this kid was soft, too much weight on him, he's run in the 4.7's but then the kid runs 4.53 at just under 6'1" and 225 lbs. Then I watch him in positional drills and he's not dropping anything, running crisp routes, looking pretty darn good. He did 21 reps on the bench, 10'4" on the broad jump, 35.5" on the vertical, a ridiculous 3.98 on the 20-yard shuttle, 11.16 in the 60-yard shuttle and a 6.59 on the 3-cone drill. To give you an idea of just how good those numbers are for a WR he was tied for 3rd at the combine in the bench press, tied for 8th in the broad jump, he was 1st (by .10 seconds) in the 3-cone drill, he was tied for 1st in the 20-yard shuttle and tied for 2nd in the 60-yard shuttle.