PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict. can he be a mid round to late steal?

sinPHIN
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
this guy has a ton of talent but for some reason he is stinking up when it is coming to the combine and his proday. it reminds me of when brandon spikes came out. if we could get burfict in the third it would be a steal imo. his stock has dropped of the charts, so we may be able to grab him in the 3rd. some think he may fall out of the draft completly. i dont think he will.

Vontaze Burfict bombs his Pro Day, too Posted by Evan Silva on March 16, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/03/vontazeburfictpic-1.jpg?w=140 APArizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7435/vontaze-burfict) bombed the Combine. His interviews were described as disastrous (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/vontaze-burficts-rough-combine-continues/), and his forty time and jumps were pathetic compared to the rest of the linebackers invited to Indianapolis.
So Burfict surely prepared and rebounded at his Pro Day, right?
Wrong.
According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Burfict was “not good in position drills” at the Sun Devils’ Friday workout, and Pauline acknowledged that he’s “watering that down.” One scout told Pauline he “actually felt bad for [Burfict] (https://twitter.com/#!/TonyPauline/status/180754677695123456).”
Burfict managed only 16 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. With poor measurables and game tape (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/mayock-vontaze-burfict-is-not-a-first-round-player-at-all/), and suspect on- and off-the-field character, Burfict may struggle to be drafted at all in April.

Kdawg954
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
The only thing Spikes and Burfict have in common was the lower than expected 40 times. Spikes is 10x the leader and has 10x the intangibles than Burfict had coming out of college.

What does it say about a guy who knows he is less than one year from making millions and does everything possible to work at Wal-Mart instead. Poor results on the field, even poorer results in the interviews. Somebody will probably roll the dice late, but I don't think it will be us. We certainly have some leaders on this defense that won't put up with his antics.

datruth55
03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Did we just trade our most productive offensive player because of character issues? (in case you don't know we traded Brandon Marshall) There is no way we are drafting Burfict.

Hamilton23
03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Source (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7435/vontaze-burfict)

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was "soft and out of shape" when he reported to pre-Combine training in January, and is now dealing with a hamstring injury.

Pauline reports that NFL teams' biggest concern with Burfict is work ethic, and he apparently hasn't solved the issue ahead of the draft. Per Pauline, Burfict is unable to complete 15 reps on the 225-pound bench press with one week left before the Combine. After a poor junior season at Arizona State, Burfict's draft stock could be headed for free fall if he performs poorly in Indy.

One NFL scout told ESPN's Todd McShay that Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was flagged for 17 personal fouls in his college career.

Burfict was a third-year junior before he declared for the draft, so the 17 personal foul penalties occurred only in a 35-game span. And that's not including other, lesser penalties. On-field character is a real concern for Burfict. His work ethic and 2011 performance have also been criticized by draftnik types.

Two sources tell SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline that Arizona State MLB Vontaze Burfict's decision to forego his senior season was "likely centered around" eligibility issues for 2012.

Burfict was no stranger to eligibility issues in college. While this isn't something that would hurt draft stock, it can explain why Burfict turned pro after a junior season considered poor by most observers. Sources told Pauline that Burfict's 2011 performance was also affected by WLB Brandon Magee's season-ending injury. Magee was reportedly "the one who made sure Burfict was properly positioned on the field and made him aware of assignments."

After speaking to NFL scouts and assistant coaches at the Combine, CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman suggests Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict is in for a draft-day plunge.

"I'm not sure any player here sparked a worse reaction than Vontaze Burfict," writes Feldman. "I wouldn't touch him," one scout said. "... The guy is completely out of control. There's no way you could trust him. I can't believe they (ASU coaching staff) didn't cut him loose." Added one NFL coach, "You just scratch your head at some of the knucklehead things he does on tape. It was the same thing over and over and over again with him."

SI's Don Banks suggests Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict will fall to day three of the draft after his Combine implosion.

Burfict's workouts (5.09 forty, 8-foot-8 broad jump) were pathetic, and worst of all he blamed college coaches for his poor 2011 performance. Burfict doesn't play well on the field, appears to have a cancerous personality, and isn't nearly as athletic as some believed. We wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.

Damn, no wonder he has dropped with all these negatives. At one point he was projected a late 1st rounder :ponder:

Lol, (DT)Dontari Poe ran a faster 40 than him.

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
this guy has a ton of talent but for some reason he is stinking up when it is coming to the combine and his proday. it reminds me of when brandon spikes came out. if we could get burfict in the third it would be a steal imo. his stock has dropped of the charts, so we may be able to grab him in the 3rd. some think he may fall out of the draft completly. i dont think he will.

No he doesn't. Bad film, lazy, lack of work ethic, lack of intangibles, no leadership, undisciplined, fat, slow, stiff, weak, and stupid does not equal a ton of talent.

It's time people stopped peddling this myth.

Ricky4Life
03-17-2012, 10:25 AM
He is a head case, there is something just wrong with him. I see him going to the Ravens to be honest.

Canadi-Phin
03-17-2012, 02:06 PM
So how do you really feel about him? Haha

Roman529
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I can't think of many players who have dropped as quick and far as Burfict. I watch most of ASU's games and he was such a dominant force out there and then he just seemed to fall apart. I don't know if he needs anger management classes or something?, but some things just don't seem to be right with this guy. If someone took him under his wing, like former ASU defensive player Terrell Suggs of the Ravens, I know he could straighten him out.

X-Pacolypse
03-17-2012, 05:41 PM
He's going undrafted. He has lost millions of dollars in this process.

utahphinsfan
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
He is a head case, there is something just wrong with him. I see him going to the Ravens to be honest.

I could too. But, an overrated thug would make the ideal understudy for James Harrison.