PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tannehill vs Brandon Weeden

boomer10
03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
We all are aware of Brandon Weeden's age and how he will turn 29(October 14) during the 6th week of this year's football season.
However, I was not aware until now that Ryan Tannehill will turn 24(July 27) before training camp begins.
Over the last two seasons, the two quarterbacks' body of work are pretty telling statistically.

Ryan Tannehill: 2010 Completions: 152 Attempts: 234 Completion %: 65% Yards: 1638 TDs: 13 Int: 6
2011 Completions: 327 Attempts: 531 Completion %: 61.6% Yards: 3744 TDs: 29 Int: 15

Brandon Weeden:

2010 Completions: 342 Attempts: 511 Completion %: 66.9% Yards: 4277 TDs: 34 Int: 13

2011 Completions: 408 Attempts: 564 Completion %: 72.3% Yards: 4727 TDs: 37 Int: 13

Andrew Luck and RGIII had the same number of TDs: 37 and Completion %: 72% as Weeden this season.

Let's say that it takes two years before Weeden is fully comfortable at a NFL level, He will have 6 productive years before he is the age that Manning is right now, and people think Manning will have three more years left to win a Superbowl.(He could do it this year if he plays with the 49ers)..
If Weeden stays healthy, he could play till he is 38(He hasn't been hit by NFL players the last 5 years either). That would give him a 10 year career in the league.
The Dolphins have had, I believe, 17 QBs lining up behind center since Marino. Many of them were 22 year old prospects coming out of college who have not lasted more than a couple of years. So really what is the risk at taking a long hard look at a guy who is mature and motivated to perform immediately due to his advanced age coming in. He is accurate and he has a gun for an arm. Two things that are very important in this league.
We might even be able to trade back, pick up some extra picks and pick him later in the first round or perhaps even in the second round.

DzakkH13
03-16-2012, 11:14 PM
If Weeden were 22 years old, he'd be the 3rd QB taken in this draft.

Weeden could give an NFL team possibly 8 years of very good NFL play.

Someone will take a flyer on him in the 2nd round and get a steal.

andyahs
03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I'd take Weeden.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?316445-Would-you-draft-a-30-year-old-QB

StuartE
03-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Maybe trade up in 2nd round for Weeden? Dont know if he will be around that long though.

Phanatical
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree. Weeden all the way.

dlockz
03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
You do realize that A and M and Okalahoma st run completely different offenses. I do agree Weeden was the better college qb but to draft a 29 year old qb before the third round would be incredibly stupid. IN reality both qb's may go higher than projected but I dont want to risk a high pick on a player like Weeden who has little development time and at best like 8 years of pro football in him and even thats not a good bet.

Kowalski550
03-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Here's a question, what is the realistic market for Weeden?

My opinion is that his age works in our favor. In that how many teams want a 29 year old, unproven, as their high draft pick? Who's going to be a backup for their team.

If we're going into the draft looking for a QB, Flynn landed in Seattle. We concede Tannehill to the Browns. Who's left at this point? What's to say Weeden isn't a 3rd round pick.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Dolphins need to be very aware when the proper time to make a move on specific players are. This team can ill afford to bid against itself.

Elliott 1
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
What is important, is that Weeden is NFL ready starting last year, and Tannehill isn't ready to start.

fishfanmiami
03-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Let Flynn install the offence and move on to Weeden when he's ready. I like that. Matt Moore could make it interesting but you can never have too many good QB's.
Just because you draft Weeden the seach should go on for the next guy.Draft a QB every year until we get it right.

boomer10
03-16-2012, 11:45 PM
You do realize that A and M and Okalahoma st run completely different offenses. I do agree Weeden was the better college qb but to draft a 29 year old qb before the third round would be incredibly stupid. IN reality both qb's may go higher than projected but I dont want to risk a high pick on a player like Weeden who has little development time and at best like 8 years of pro football in him and even thats not a good bet.

Tannehill's college coach is now our Offensive Coordinator(Mike Sherman) so I am not really sure what your point is. Please explain to me the difference of the two offenses. And is A&M's offense the same as what they are installing in Miami? Because if it is, I am really not sure what your point is.

dlockz
03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
What is important, is that Weeden is NFL ready starting last year, and Tannehill isn't ready to start.

There is no proof that Weeden is NFL ready to start lol

sinPHIN
03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
i would take tannehill bc he is an athletic qb. but if we dont land anyone then weeden. i dont know why but ive never been big on weeden.

dolphans1
03-16-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm leaning toward Ryan Tannehill, the question is, is he worthy of being selected #1...?

d-1

dolpns13
03-16-2012, 11:51 PM
We all are aware of Brandon Weeden's age and how he will turn 29(October 14) during the 6th week of this year's football season.
However, I was not aware until now that Ryan Tannehill will turn 24(July 27) before training camp begins.
Over the last two seasons, the two quarterbacks' body of work are pretty telling statistically.

Ryan Tannehill: 2010 Completions: 152 Attempts: 234 Completion %: 65% Yards: 1638 TDs: 13 Int: 6
2011 Completions: 327 Attempts: 531 Completion %: 61.6% Yards: 3744 TDs: 29 Int: 15

Brandon Weeden:

2010 Completions: 342 Attempts: 511 Completion %: 66.9% Yards: 4277 TDs: 34 Int: 13

2011 Completions: 408 Attempts: 564 Completion %: 72.3% Yards: 4727 TDs: 37 Int: 13

Andrew Luck and RGIII had the same number of TDs: 37 and Completion %: 72% as Weeden this season.

Let's say that it takes two years before Weeden is fully comfortable at a NFL level, He will have 6 productive years before he is the age that Manning is right now, and people think Manning will have three more years left to win a Superbowl.(He could do it this year if he plays with the 49ers)..
If Weeden stays healthy, he could play till he is 38(He hasn't been hit by NFL players the last 5 years either). That would give him a 10 year career in the league.
The Dolphins have had, I believe, 17 QBs lining up behind center since Marino. Many of them were 22 year old prospects coming out of college who have not lasted more than a couple of years. So really what is the risk at taking a long hard look at a guy who is mature and motivated to perform immediately due to his advanced age coming in. He is accurate and he has a gun for an arm. Two things that are very important in this league.
We might even be able to trade back, pick up some extra picks and pick him later in the first round or perhaps even in the second round.

I like your argument overall but unless you mean 22 year old prospects drafted by other teams, and then picked up by the Dolphins after those teams released them, then the statement is not true.

dolpns13
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM

Why is Weeden ready but Tannehill isnt? Has either ever thrown a pass in the NFL? I was under the impression that both had the same amount of NFL starts, 0.. Maybe Im missing something.

fishfanmiami
03-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Why is Weeden ready but Tannehill isnt? Has either ever thrown a pass in the NFL? I was under the impression that both had the same amount of NFL starts, 0.. Maybe Im missing something.
The differance is you probably have to trade UP for one and can trade down and hopefully get the other.
From want i've read the talent is similar other than the age thing. If they are close I would trade down.

dlockz
03-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Tannehill's college coach is now our Offensive Coordinator(Mike Sherman) so I am not really sure what your point is. Please explain to me the difference of the two offenses. And is A&M's offense the same as what they are installing in Miami? Because if it is, I am really not sure what your point is.

My point was Tannehill was in a much more balanced offense. A and M ranked 18th in passing and 24th in rushing. Sherman ran a pro style offense in Texas A and M and will run a west coast offense here. Weeden ran a spread offense basically the pass oriented air raid variety. I personally believe Tanneyhill is a better fit especially since he has worked with Sherman and you cannot compare the two qb's numbers since Weeden is in the passer friendly spread.

dlockz
03-17-2012, 12:03 AM

The age perception I think but weeden numbers are helped greatly by playing in the air raid spread offense

fishfanmiami
03-17-2012, 12:07 AM
The age perception I think but weeden numbers are helped greatly by playing in the air raid spread offense
Good points. Nice to have his college coach(Tannehill's) to help us decide. I actually think we will come out ok with a couple of QB's counting Flynn (not signed yet) that are perfect for the offence we'll run.

drumzan
03-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Weeden all the way. And drafting him in the 2nd round wouldn't be a reach like Tannehill in the 1st.

LikeUntoGod
03-17-2012, 11:07 AM
The question of drafting Tannehill could very wll be a moot point, chances are good that he will be gone by our pick.