PDA

View Full Version : Tannehill>Flynn>Moore>Smith

SF Dolphin Fan
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
One man's view, but if indeed Miami is looking at signing Matt Flynn for a lower than anticipated salary, that tells me the team's primary interest must be Ryan Tannehill. If the team thought Flynn was the answer to the present and the future this deal would already be done. In my opinion, Miami wants to bring Flynn in for a short-term contract and, in the best case scenario, draft Tannehill at #8. Bringing in Alex Smith is mind-boggling to me. I have seen enough of him in SF to feel pretty sure he is not the qb this team needs. In fact, I think Matt Moore is better so this visit doesn't really make sense to me.

SQuinn17
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Why does everybody think Tannehill is so amazing? Did anyone actually watch him play last year?

Vaark
03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
My revision would be as follows:

Weeden > Moore/Tannehill/Flynn > Smith

MadDog 88
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I am starting to believe that the Dolphins view Flynn or Smith as short term solutions and that they have a QB on their radar on draft day.

lynxdolfan
03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
All i see in this thread are some poor calculations

J. David Wannyheimer
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
My revision would be as follows: Weeden > Moore/Tannehill/Flynn > Smith I wonder if Jeff Ireland would think twice about trading down and drafting Weeden after the John Beck fiasco.

Kdawg954
03-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I am starting to believe that the Dolphins view Flynn or Smith as short term solutions and that they have a QB on their radar on draft day.

And that guy is Tannehill or Weeden. I absolutely agree . . . however I do think Philbin likes Matt Flynn also, he just knows his limitations and being the head coach of his team he realizes that he probably has ONE shot to pick his QB to hang his coat on and he will exhaust all options within reason to make sure he has the best one.

Kdawg954
03-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I wonder if Jeff Ireland would think twice about trading down and drafting Weeden after the John Beck fiasco.

John Beck wasn't on him though, plus Beck had this deer in the headlights look from day one and Weeden just has more of that QB build. Beck was accurate, but we did him no favors by throwing him in there in 2007. I think that cripled him for life.

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Why does everybody think Tannehill is so amazing? Did anyone actually watch him play last year?

I did, quite a bit actually....and he very well might be our pick......if he is still there in round 3 of 4 that is. Wouldn't touch him any earlier than the 3rd round, and with the pick we got from the Bears not our 3-8.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
John Beck wasn't on him though, plus Beck had this deer in the headlights look from day one and Weeden just has more of that QB build. Beck was accurate, but we did him no favors by throwing him in there in 2007. I think that cripled him for life.

Oh, I agree. Was not in any way attempting to compare the two players. Just like I'm not comparing Matt Flynn to Kevin Kolb or AJ Feely.

But, have you seen season ticket sales recently? I have to think that Ross has been apprised of what Ireland intends to do, and Ross can't be thrilled about the potential fan reaction to drafting another 28 year old QB.

Roman529
03-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I can't believe we are seriously pursuing Smith...who's next...Hasselback??? Wait, how about Teblow? Make it stop!!!!!

Keepiru
03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
My revision would be as follows:

Weeden > Moore/Tannehill/Flynn > Smith

Brandon Weeden had a 72.3% completion percentage last season. Two seasons with over 4,200 yards passing? Thats crazy good. Not quite liking the amount of ints thrown, but overall looks like quite a prospect. Except for his age :/

LANGER72
03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
These days, you need to draft your franchise QB at the top of the draft. You suck or trade up. Alex Smith was a reach.
All of those guys could be servicable starters, but none of them are elite.

fishfanmiami
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
and that guy is tannehill or weeden. I absolutely agree . . . However i do think philbin likes matt flynn also, he just knows his limitations and being the head coach of his team he realizes that he probably has one shot to pick his qb to hang his coat on and he will exhaust all options within reason to make sure he has the best one.

bingo

Kdawg954
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh, I agree. Was not in any way attempting to compare the two players. Just like I'm not comparing Matt Flynn to Kevin Kolb or AJ Feely.

But, have you seen season ticket sales recently? I have to think that Ross has been apprised of what Ireland intends to do, and Ross can't be thrilled about the potential fan reaction to drafting another 28 year old QB.

Yea I see your point. All I can say is, I hope they give Philbin a chance to build this thing his way and not worry about a fickle fanbase. The same fans that are complaining are the same ones who will be filling up the stadium if the Fins start winning games. The owner made the decision to stick with Jeff Ireland and they both agreed to bring in Philbin. They have to know what plan he had and they need to see that plan through. It seems like they are doing that because Philbin apparantely made the call on Marshall so we'll see.

SQuinn17
03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I did, quite a bit actually....and he very well might be our pick......if he is still there in round 3 of 4 that is. Wouldn't touch him any earlier than the 3rd round, and with the pick we got from the Bears not our 3-8.Exactly!

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 12:43 PM
These days, you need to draft your franchise QB at the top of the draft. You suck or trade up. Alex Smith was a reach.
All of those guys could be servicable starters, but none of them are elite.

Wait! What?

Alex Smith was the consensus #1 overall the year he came out. How can he not be a Franchise QB???????

/sarcasm

MDFINFAN
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I did, quite a bit actually....and he very well might be our pick......if he is still there in round 3 of 4 that is. Wouldn't touch him any earlier than the 3rd round, and with the pick we got from the Bears not our 3-8.

Hold up you him pick as better than all thsee qb's and then won't pick him until rd 3-4, huh? Ok, explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old..

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Hold up you him pick as better than all thsee qb's and then won't pick him until rd 3-4, huh? Ok, explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old..

You been drinking already this morning? :lol:

If you are saying I hold Tannehill in higher regards to these other QB's, you are completely and totally incorrect. Hell, I would bring in Alex Smith before giving up a high pick for Tannehill.

I did see lots of him, that's what happens when you live in Dallas, you get overwhelming coverage of all Texas College football.

There is also a VERY good reason that Mike Sherman...as in our new OC, moved Tannehill from QB to WR. He played QB last year by default, yet some have him as a top 10 prospect? I honestly don't get it myself.

dolfanduwayne63
03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
You been drinking already this morning? :lol:

If you are saying I hold Tannehill in higher regards to these other QB's, you are completely and totally incorrect. Hell, I would bring in Alex Smith before giving up a high pick for Tannehill.

I did see lots of him, that's what happens when you live in Dallas, you get overwhelming coverage of all Texas College football.

There is also a VERY good reason that Mike Sherman...as in our new OC, moved Tannehill from QB to WR. He played QB last year by default, yet some have him as a top 10 prospect? I honestly don't get it myself.You may not get it, and I am in no means suggesting your assessment of Tannehill isn't correct, but don't be suprised if he's our pick at eight. Sherman is said to love him and has said he has a gunslinger mentality ala Favre. His draft stock is also being touted as ascending more than any other player, and many believe he won't be available at our pick, with Cleveland being a strong possibility at four, dependant upon what they do at QB in free agency.Although I agree this would be entirely to high for Tannehill, as they say, all it takes is one team to love you.

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
You may not get it, and I am in no means suggesting your assessment of Tannehill isn't correct, but don't be suprised if he's our pick at eight. Sherman is said to love him and has said he has a gunslinger mentality ala Favre. His draft stock is also being touted as ascending more than any other player, and many believe he won't be available at our pick, with Cleveland being a strong possibility at four, dependant upon what they do at QB in free agency.Although I agree this would be entirely to high for Tannehill, as they say, all it takes is one team to love you.

Once again, Sherman liked him so much at QB, that he moved him to WR!!!

Nothing but smoke screen. If he moves up the ladder, GREAT! Just don't expect us to touch him at #8 unless Sherman likes him at WR :up:

jlfin
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
As Mayock has said in the past. If you believe a QB has the tools/talent to be a franchise QB, you take him early. It doesn't matter what grade the so called draft experts give him. Every team assigns a relative value to each player. If I'm looking for a franchise QB and I think Tannehill has the smarts, the instincts and the physical tools to be one, then I draft him.
I personally haven't studied Tannehill, so I defer to Philbin and Sherman.

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
As Mayock has said in the past. If you believe a QB has the tools/talent to be a franchise QB, you take him early. It doesn't matter what grade the so called draft experts give him. Every team assigns a relative value to each player. If I'm looking for a franchise QB and I think Tannehill has the smarts, the instincts and the physical tools to be one, then I draft him.
I personally haven't studied Tannehill, so I defer to Philbin and Sherman.

Sherman already turned him into a WR once.....just sayin.....

jim1
03-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I wonder if Jeff Ireland would think twice about trading down and drafting Weeden after the John Beck fiasco.

If Ireland has an eye for QB talent and any balls left he'll pull the trigger on Weeden.

jim1
03-18-2012, 05:06 PM

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it- Weeden will turn 36 in his 8th year in the league- is that really all that bad? Even if it takes him a season or half a season to start- which I doubt- that is SEVEN years. All of this doesn't matter unless the guy is f****** good, and he is a pretty darned f****** . Dude is an excellent QB, played better than Andrew Luck last year imo, Weeden and Luck are by far the best QB prospects in this draft. If Weeden were 5 years younger, there's your overall #2 pick right there.

The Confessor
03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it- Weeden will turn 36 in his 8th year in the league- is that really all that bad? Even if it takes him a season or half a season to start- which I doubt- that is SEVEN years. All of this doesn't matter unless the guy is f****** good, and he is a pretty darned f****** . Dude is an excellent QB, played better than Andrew Luck last year imo, Weeden and Luck are by far the best QB prospects in this draft. If Weeden were 5 years younger, there's your overall #2 pick right there.

Shhhhh. other GM's are gonna hear you.

Here's the REAL Coupe. What happens if we DO get Weeden with the 2-8?
I think he will be, at the very minimum, the 3rd best QB in this draft class. Just as likely he does even better than that!!!

LANGER72
03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Wait! What?

Alex Smith was the consensus #1 overall the year he came out. How can he not be a Franchise QB???????

/sarcasm

It depends on the franchise and how you define franchise QB?

sarc

J. David Wannyheimer
03-19-2012, 04:16 PM

I agree with you that his age is less important than his ability, but look at how nuts the fanbase is right now. We already have plenty of people right here on Finheaven who think "28 year old QB = John Beck" and don't even bother to look at anything else. I think the FO is going to get scared and reach for Smith or draft Tannehill and sell him to the fanbase as the a "great young QB prospect who everyone thought would go early first round."