PDA

View Full Version : It may be time for the Herschel Walker move

DevilInPgh
03-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Yes, I said it. This team may need to trade the best players remaining for a boatload of draft picks.

Yes, I'm talking about Jake Long.

Face it, he's entering a contract year, and based on how this team is pissing off free agents left and right, I doubt he re-signs, unless forced to by a 1st-round tender during his RFA year (at which point a trade would be useless). It's time to cash out and get what we can for him, because he won't be back.

DisturbedShifty
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM
The way this site reacted, you would have thought that already happened.

Mr. Day
03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
In that case, they are going to have to do this every four years as long as Jeff Ireland is the GM. I just read an article on NFL.com talking about how Ryan Clark of the Steelers said that no one wants to play for Miami, largely because Jeff Ireland is the decision maker. He drafted a few good players, but there is something about him that chases away free agents. The only guys that he can sign are guys that have no other choice but to play for Miami. Dansby is the only exception to the rule. They have to fire Ireland yesterday.

chrisbaucom
03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think Jake Long would bring anything close to what herchel walker did.

nyjunc
03-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't think Jake Long would bring anything close to what herchel walker did.

He shouldn't but Herschel shouldn't have brought back as much as he did- it only takes one idiot GM or owner to make a foolish move like that.

Dmarino110
03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
He shouldn't but Herschel shouldn't have brought back as much as he did- it only takes one idiot GM or owner to make a foolish move like that.Ireland can't trade Long to himself...

phinfan13/34
03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I wouldnt be opposed to that. We need impact players, he's not an impact player. Plus we have no one worth protecting that much anyway lol.

dolphinswin
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Can't beleive i'm hearing this, Jake Long is the Foundation of this team. A premiere LT and one of the very best in the buisness. I'm sure whoever the Qb may be they find comfort in knowing there blindside is protected by the very best. I am also sure the play is better because of him( i said "better", not good). That said you franchise these players until middle ground is reached but the firesale and abbandon ship strategy is not the way to go.

swityak11
03-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Jake can probably bring back a 1st rounder but there are a lot of cost controlled OT prospects in the draft that would kill Long's market.

Keep him.

vagrantprodigy
03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Maybe we can trade him to the vikings. Spielman is the decision maker up there, and we know he's a sucker.

dlockz
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
And in todays news Ireland trades Long for two more third round picks lol

Nick13
03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I wouldnt mind going full blown fire sale and stockpiling picks, BUT I'd keep the following players: Jake Long...Yes, it seems like there is a franchise LT in every other draft, but Jake Long is one of the few who was actually shown he's got the goods. I dont think you'd get much more than maybe a 1st and 4th round pick for him, and probably a mid to late first at that. It's better value to keep him. I'd also keep Dansby. Reason being, if you are stockpiling draft picks, you are going to have a young squad and Dansby will provide leadership and maturity and will be someone who can guide and teach the draft picks. Finally, I'd keep Pouncey, he hasn't been in the league long enough to know what his true value COULD be, so I'd hate to see us ship him off cheaply and watch him develop into a HoF Center. Other than that, everyone else can go. It hurts to say that about players like Bess, Vontae, Wake, etc...but draft picks are so valuable in this era, and our players are simply not getting it done. I know this WONT actually happen, but it would be better than trading anything for Tebow.