PDA

View Full Version : Why not go after Brock Osweiler?

DrewStogs.
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I think we could take this guy in the 2nd and groom him into our future QB. Has legit 6'7 height, rocket of an arm, and a pretty accurate passer. I watched his tape vs USC and he really throws well downfield which ASU's offense really doesn't do often, they throw a lot of screens and short underneath passes.
In 2011
He went 326-516, 4036 yds, 63.2 completion %, 26 tds, 13 ints, 133.2 rating

He'd definently have to sit a year to get his feet work down and to get used to the system. But I really like his upside and raw talent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqYAUD97lRQ&feature=related

Mudder1310
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
His throwing motion looks squashed, almost shot put style, pushed from the shoulder. He didn't show as much touch on passes (like the fade route to the end zone) as throwing on a line. Accuracy is fine, every snap from the shotgun, his footwork will need help. A real project.

I'd rather get a guy like Foles. Better throwing motion, better footwork, similar size, demonstrated solid touch on passes all year.

NorFlaFin
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
He needs alot of work on mechanics...........

ugh

Pat-London
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Hmmm... 63.2% completion rate with that amount of screens? Would be interesting to see what his completion rate for passes... BEYOND the LOS.

Interesting talent - a cross between Rothlisberger and Rivers in my view. Yeah he's 6'7'', but he has the release point of a much shorter qb.

At best I'd spend a 3rd rounder, but he'd have to sit for a couple of years at least. Perhaps could they be thinking get Smith or Garrard along with Moore to get them through the next 2 years [if its a blow out 2/3 win season next year then you might have a shot at the top of the draft for a QB, if yet another middle of the pack draft spot then they still have a young gun developing.

JERSEYFINFAN23
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
tons of screens , short passes. a few around 12-15 yards.
great size, mobile- how are his deeper passes?
MAybe you draft Floyd #8 then trade back into the 1st round too get a Qb like this?

DrewStogs.
03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
You can coach and teach a young incoming QB to quicken his release and improve his footwork. You can not teach his physical aspects that he has: being 6'7 (some would even say he's 6'8) and his great upside. The kid has zip on his ball and can place it anywhere, he just needs to touch up his game a lil bit. Definently not a good pick @ #8 but would be a steal if he fell to us in the 3rd

mmansfield
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
He seems like an interesting prospect but as stated before needs a lot of work and with the way he was at college seems set in his was of doing things so he may never develop into what he could be. I could be wrong this is what I gather from my friends who go there. I would rather us choose a guy like kirk cousins who seems a lot less hot headed is a good leader and throws the ball past the line of scrimmage. He may never have the physical build or arm strength of brock but if he does serious strength work he could improve his arm strength to be very effective. I would draft cousins easily with our 2nd but would leave brock till the 4th.

PSU Cane
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I'd take a chance on him, but not until Round 3 or unless we trade back in Round 2. He has a lot to work with, but also a lot of holes in his game that need closing.

I like a lot about Tannehill except his small hands (too many fumbles, might struggle adjusting to bigger/slicker ball in NFL especially in wet/cold weather - Alex Smith did as well).

I also like a lot about Cousins, especially his leadership and ability to learn the game, run an offense and team, and win. I think he has a good arm, not great, but good enough but occasionally makes some bad reads or throws under pressure.

I would definitely take Tannehill or Cousins over Osweiler. But if i couldn't get one of those two, i would definitely look at Brock.

jim1
03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Because he's not nearly as good as Brandon Weeden, age be damned, bottom line.

Dogbone34
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
After Weeden, I would look close at Osweiler and Foles.

Wouldn't waste time on cousins or tannehill.

insom187
03-20-2012, 03:04 AM
His mechanics need such an overhaul I'd definitely look elsewhere. The whole 6'7 thing would be great if there was a QB in the NFL now who showed it was a definite advantage. Just give me a QB that can throw ball accurately all over the field, or at least shows that potential.