PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tannehill pros and cons

SeanSmith24
03-20-2012, 05:40 AM
bleacherreport.com says

The Dolphins missed out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, so now they need to add a quarterback through the draft. Ryan Tannehill is going to be drafted in this general range, even if some don't agree with the placement.
Pros
A former wide receiver, Tannehill is an outstanding athlete. He also possesses an excellent arm, and his accuracy is above-average.
Cons
Tannehill's decision-making needs to improve, and he needs to get faster in getting rid of the ball. Tannehill's lack of experience is a concern, and he needs to sit on the bench before starting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1110080-2012-nfl-mock-draft-pros-and-cons-of-every-first-round-pick/page/9

EricCartman
03-20-2012, 05:47 AM
somewhere I red some worrying stats about his interception rate..... maybe I am wrong

Mudder1310
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Tannehill needs some mechanical work. His throwing motion is low and sort of pushed. Osweiler has a similar motion, so did Danny Weurffel. Fix the throwing motion, bring it higher up. His footwork needs help, as well as spending more time under center. Once the feet and arm are set his accuracy and touch should both improve.

I don't worry too much on decision making skills right now, he's only played 20 games at qb. One question I see is he's 24, so he's physically more mature than a lot of college guys, which makes me wonder if part of his success isn't just being a man against boys. much like Weeden.

Dan Marino 1352
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I would rather draft a wr or a pass rusher in this years draft and we can blow for Barkley and get a better qb next year lets upgrade the other positions and not waste the pick on qb who's not worth the pick at 8 which will be a reach

NYinBostonFin
03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I would rather draft a wr or a pass rusher in this years draft and we can blow for Barkley and get a better qb next year lets upgrade the other positions and not waste the pick on qb who's not worth the pick at 8 which will be a reach

This.

angry dolfan
03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Maybe we can upgrade a position of need at 8 then trade up to get Tannehill. I don't care if trade away the rest of our draft to move up. Take our 2nd and both 3rd rounders and move back into the late 1st to get him. We just need to get back in front of Cleveland's 2nd 1st rounder.

LikeUntoGod
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Start with the fact that he will be gone by our pick and any thread about him is a FART IN THE WIND.

NYinBostonFin
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Start with the fact that he will be gone by our pick and any thread about him is a FART IN THE WIND.

That doesn't stop the people saying to draft Blackmon.

JEDIJ007
03-20-2012, 11:22 AM

This

angry dolfan
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

I don't believe he will be gone by 8. Cleveland doesn't have a RB. They can survive with McCoy if they have someone in the backfield. Plus I read that the Vikings are now interested in Clayborne rather than Kalil. That may complicate things in our favor with Kalil available after #3.

Plus Tannehill hasn't thrown yet for anyone, right? Maybe that will help him slide.

Ok so maybe we draft Tannehill at 8 then trade up to get Blackmon or Floyd. I know its a reach for Blackmon but maybe there is a team as stupid as the Raiders who simply draft on speed rather than talent which would cause him to slide half a dozen spots. If we can get back into the 1st round in the mid teens, we have a chance at a very high WR..or pass rushers for that matter.

zach attach
03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Tannehill needs some mechanical work. His throwing motion is low and sort of pushed. Osweiler has a similar motion, so did Danny Weurffel. Fix the throwing motion, bring it higher up. His footwork needs help, as well as spending more time under center. Once the feet and arm are set his accuracy and touch should both improve.

I don't worry too much on decision making skills right now, he's only played 20 games at qb. One question I see is he's 24, so he's physically more mature than a lot of college guys, which makes me wonder if part of his success isn't just being a man against boys. much like Weeden.

Yes, but CAN you fix the trhowing motion? Leftwich and Tebow are two recent players where people said if they fixed their throwing motion they'd be great. Can you fix something a player has done since he started throwing?

jazz015
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
somewhere I red some worrying stats about his interception rate..... maybe I am wrong

Against lesser competition he look good, threw well and didn't make mistakes.

But in the BIG games that's where his true colors were revealed he would often thrw games away and has thrown 3 picks+ in most of those games. Most in the second half when they were still in a position to win.

So as I'm trying to say if you think Tannehill is going to win games in the NFL and be a clutch QB then I suggest you look somewhere else. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Harry_Bagpipe
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
So maybe im looking at this the wrong way but Tannehill is going to be 24 when the season starts and by almost everybodys account will need a couple of years before he is ready to play. At which time he will be 26 or older depending on how long he takes to evolve and mature as a player. Brandon Weeden will be 28 when the season starts. Besides Andrew Luck is the most NFL ready player and has as good a skill set as a legitimate top 10 pick should have.

So with only but a two year difference in terms of expected age of NFL starting, why wouldnt it be more reasonable to go with the guy who is already a top 10 talent in terms of skill and readiness instead of reaching for a guy who a number of weeks ago was seen as a mid 2nd round pick and is only soaring up the charts due to qb starved teams being desperate. If Weeden was Tannehill's age there wouldnt be a question of who to pick. Weeden would almost assuredly be a top 10 pick(maybe top 5) and would be seen as the answer to our qb woes.

So it seems to be that if as projected, there would only be a 2 or 3 year difference in terms of when they would be starting, why not go with the far superior prospect. Im not advocating taking Weeden at 8. I would much rather trade down if possible and grab some extra picks.

As i said, i might be looking at this wrong but it seems at least something to ponder to me. Something about reaching for Tannehill at 8 doesnt rest well with me

SammySmif
03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
If Blackmon somehow slips by the Rams you HAVE to take this guy. He is an elite talent.

russianbear
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM

as much as I think anyone can agree this is a primo move, fact is were not a team that's going to be bad enough to draft Barkley who will probably be a 1 or 2 overall pick.....NO team is going to blow games just to get a #1 pick, especially not us. we just always fall into an unfortunate draft position no matter how bad we are.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

So maybe im looking at this the wrong way but Tannehill is going to be 24 when the season starts and by almost everybodys account will need a couple of years before he is ready to play. At which time he will be 26 or older depending on how long he takes to evolve and mature as a player. Brandon Weeden will be 28 when the season starts. Besides Andrew Luck is the most NFL ready player and has as good a skill set as a legitimate top 10 pick should have.

So with only but a two year difference in terms of expected age of NFL starting, why wouldnt it be more reasonable to go with the guy who is already a top 10 talent in terms of skill and readiness instead of reaching for a guy who a number of weeks ago was seen as a mid 2nd round pick and is only soaring up the charts due to qb starved teams being desperate. If Weeden was Tannehill's age there wouldnt be a question of who to pick. Weeden would almost assuredly be a top 10 pick(maybe top 5) and would be seen as the answer to our qb woes.

So it seems to be that if as projected, there would only be a 2 or 3 year difference in terms of when they would be starting, why not go with the far superior prospect. Im not advocating taking Weeden at 8. I would much rather trade down if possible and grab some extra picks.

As i said, i might be looking at this wrong but it seems at least something to ponder to me. Something about reaching for Tannehill at 8 doesnt rest well with me

Good post/point. I'd feel more comfortable with Weeden.

Blake the great
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM

I hate these comments for so many reasons. You realize Barkley will likely be at least a top 5 pick right? are you saying we should suck again, we all said the same thing last year about Andrew Luck this year. Every year other teams need new QB's. so there is no way of telling if we would even get a shot at one of the top QB's next year. again that is hope and not a plan. we've been hoping a franchise QB would fall into our laps since Marino and it hasnt happened yet