PDA

View Full Version : Hyde 5- Dolphins targeting Tannehill

phinatic1399
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
1. It looks like Ryan Tannehill is the target. David Garrard is a one-year, low-risk contract. So there's no great committment here. The veteran tandem of Matt Moore and Garrard suggests the Dolphins will draft a young, talented project like Tannehill. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman knows him well from Texas A&M. The ability to have two veterans means there's no pressure on Tannehill to play immediately. Having just started 19 games in college after converting from receiver, he can use his rookie year to learn and develop. If the Dolphins targeted Brandon Weeden, the idea would be opposite of Garrard. Weeden is 28. He might be able to play immediately. With Moore and Weeden, the Dolphins probably would've wanted a young player with potential upside to sit much of the year and learn. Can the Dolphins get Tannehill with the eighth spot? They must think they can. Cleveland is drafting fourth and has missed on quarterbacks this off-season. Kansas City, at 11th, could trade up. But the Dolphins must think they can get him in their spot.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2012/03/hyde5_five_thoughts_on_the_dol_3.html

andyahs
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Either him or Weeden I am good with. Too many over-reacting to the Garrard signing but that's what Finheaven posters do best.

buxster07
03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Hopes we get him, though I fear Clev picking him up b4 us.

phinatic1399
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Either him or Weeden I am good with. Too many over-reacting to the Garrard signing but that's what Finheaven posters do best.

I agree, we didnt sign garrad to be the future he is just a veteran to compete for the starting job and help mold tannehill/weeden

denn34
03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I think we should try to get both of them

Chubby
03-20-2012, 09:34 AM
I agree, we didnt sign garrad to be the future he is just a veteran to compete for the starting job and help mold tannehill/weeden
Of all the vet QB's out there why would anyone want Garrard to mold a rookie?

andyahs
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Hopes we get him, though I fear Clev picking him up b4 us.

The question is does Cleveland consider Tannehill a serious upgrade over McCoy to use the #4 on him?

vcip
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Of all the vet QB's out there why would anyone want Garrard to mold a rookie?

Exactly

ryanosaur2000
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I agree that we have to take the chance on Tannehill if he is still on the board at 8. However, I do not think that we should trade up to take him.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Cleveland's honestly a lot worse than we are and they play in a much stronger division (they don't get Buffalo twice). Holmgren's going to 'give Colt another shot' and then scoop up Matt Barkley next year.

I'm not too worried about them taking Tannehill. Good chance Matt Barkley is throwing to Justin Blackmon for a new look Browns in 2013. They're going to get it fixed before we are. The Cleveland Browns are actually going to get their sorry, sad sack franchise fixed before us.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
i would call clevelands bluff at #4 and make them take tannehill if they are there...i don't think they will...he should get to us at #8...and he's probably the guy if he does...

i don't think given what we have weedens in play for us...2 veteran qbs they want a young 10 year starter via the draft to mold...and tannehill fits that bill...just don't play him too early though or it will go belly up

i wouldn't take him in the top 10 personally but we got no choice...

BahamaFinFan78
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
If Tannehil is there, take him. If not, he's not worth trading up for, just take BPA.

Harry_Bagpipe
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Ugh. I know we need a qb in the worst possible way but theres something about taking tannehill at 8 that just doesn't sit well with me.

Doctor Phibes
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Maybe Tannehill is the (next) guy they are targeting but I would have to question whether the Garrard signing is an advantage here

In training camp you're likely to have a battle for the starting job between Moore and Garrard (remember, Philbin has no ties to Moore)

Both Moore and Garrard have to learn the new offense - at least one of them needs to be ready to play the season opener

So when does Tannehill get any snaps in camp ?

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
it doesn't sit all that well with me either...but they're gonna go with the upside play and the kid that has all the measurables...if i was you guys i'd start combing tannehill game tape...i know i'm gonna do it

and i bet the plan is for him to sit at least half the season if not the entire year...i wouldn't expect immediate returns on this pick

J. David Wannyheimer
I think we're gonna have to take a QB at 8 if we want to get Tannehill or Weeden.

There are a couple of team that need a QB badly that are flying under the radar. Kansas City, definitely. I think Oakland might be in that mix, too. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Bucs pull the trigger, either.

I'll be real surprised if the Chiefs don't grab a QB early. Cassell sucks and has been given more than enough time -- and their backup plan is Brady Quinn. They're getting a QB.

outlawd2u
Tannehill just doesn't scream franchise QB at all in my mind. As much as I want to upgrade the position I think it would be a wasted pick. It would be a lot worse to draft a QB very high and he busts than to not draft one at all and get a good player with your 1st rounder. Oh and yes, I know any player JI drafts could bust and we haven't rolled the dice on a QB in forever but that's just how anti Tannehill I am at #8.

flynryan15
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
it doesn't sit all that well with me either...but they're gonna go with the upside play and the kid that has all the measurables...if i was you guys i'd start combing tannehill game tape...i know i'm gonna do it

Hoops,

The little bit i have seen from Tannehill his throwing motion is off(elbow in and down) almost pushing the ball. Did Just see a bad sampling or is this the norm?

insomnia411
03-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Trade down, draft Weeden mid 1st, draft a wideout and a guard in the 2nd.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Hoops,

The little bit i have seen from Tannehill his throwing motion is off(elbow in and down) almost pushing the ball. Did Just see a bad sampling or is this the norm?

hmmm...i'll have to check that out...i'm just digging in to him cause i figured we would go the vet route in free agency...i just didn't expect it to be a david garrard vet route...

UGAxFIN
03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
I would go for him IF (and this is a huge if) we can address the WR position between now and the draft. IMO, WR right now is our biggest need.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
i'll never understand why we didn't pay matt flynn and give him a one year go to show he's the guy...the money wasn't anything to worry about...floored we wouldn't pony up $10 mil when i'm betting we paid garrard to compete $4 mil or more...

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
I would go for him IF (and this is a huge if) we can address the WR position between now and the draft. IMO, WR right now is our biggest need.

2nd and 3rd round i'm betting will be about wrs...2 of em will come out of those 3 picks imo

flynryan15
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
hmmm...i'll have to check that out...i'm just digging in to him cause i figured we would go the vet route in free agency...i just didn't expect it to be a david garrard vet route...

Are you exited to get your Garrard jersey? The sampling on Tannehill I have seen his moron isn't great and his release negates his height.

andyahs
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Are you exited to get your Garrard jersey? The sampling on Tannehill I have seen his moron isn't great and his release negates his height.

Damn auto correct....:lol:

J. David Wannyheimer
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
i'll never understand why we didn't pay matt flynn and give him a one year go to show he's the guy...the money wasn't anything to worry about...floored we wouldn't pony up $10 mil when i'm betting we paid garrard to compete $4 mil or more...

The way I see it, they either totally flubbed the Matt Flynn negotiations, or Philbin legitimately did not want the kid. In the latter case, it does make sense to bring him in for a visit... if you're Joe Philbin and you like the kid and you don't want to publicly snub him and thereby pretty much kill any possible market for him. The coach has talked about the family atmosphere of the Packers, and how he wants to bring that to Miami. I think it's entirely possible that we brought in Flynn for an interview as a favor to him.

At least, I hope that's the case, because I really don't want to think this team missed out on a potentially great QB due to inept negotiations.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
The way I see it, they either totally flubbed the Matt Flynn negotiations, or Philbin legitimately did not want the kid. In the latter case, it does make sense to bring him in for a visit... if you're Joe Philbin and you like the kid and you don't want to publicly snub him and thereby pretty much kill any possible market for him. The coach has talked about the family atmosphere of the Packers, and how he wants to bring that to Miami. I think it's entirely possible that we brought in Flynn for an interview as a favor to him.

At least, I hope that's the case, because I really don't want to think this team missed out on a potentially great QB due to inept negotiations.

i don't buy that philbin didn't want him...you don't bring him in if thats the case...i think ireland was just trying to get him to agree to a below market deal because he would be with a familiar face in philbin...and it backfired...thats my read

flynryan15
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Damn auto correct....:lol:

Dont let Ireland read that he will ask him about his moron and can you imagine the fallout?

datruth55
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
History tells us that more often than not first round QBs bust. Tannehill is rocketing up boards for some unknown reason...maybe because of potential I don't know but it's risky. If you look at first round QBs since 1998...well, let's look at them.

Peyton Manning (1)

Tim Couch (1)

Chad Pennington (18)

Michael Vick (1)

David Carr (1)

Carson Palmer (1)

Eli Manning (1)

Ryan Leaf (2)

Donovan McaNabb (2)

Joey Harrington (3)

Byron Leftwich (7)

Philip Rivers (4)

Akili Smith (3)

Patrick Ramsey (32)

Kyle Boller (19)

Ben Roethlisberger (11)

Daunte Culpepper (11)

Rex Grossman (22)

J.P. Losman (22)

Cade McNown (12)

Alex Smith (1)

Vince Young (3)

JaMarcus Russell (1)

Matt Ryan (3)

Aaron Rodgers (24)

Matt Leinart (10)

Brady Quinn (22)

Joe Flacco (18)

Jay Cutler (11)

Draft position in parathesis.
Red - Bust
Blue - Servicable, maybe some good years but not lived up to expectations of draft status or no playoff wins.

Most have busted...very rarely do you get more than two in a draft class that prove to be good, it's actually only happened once since 1998.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM

garrard jersey...i guess i could use it as a bib for my son or something...ugh

i've watched tannehill a decent amount in live games etc but never dug into his tape to see what he's seeing and his reads etc but i see a guy off a real time look who can stare down his targets not get into his later reads and throws picks...but i think people are gonna defend that by saying he's new to the position he just needs time and that may be the case but its a risky proposition for whoever drafts him...i always said for a guy who's highly rated in the draft he sure does throw a lot of ints...a little better than average arm not special by any means a good athlete good mobility love the length etc but very damn raw...

J. David Wannyheimer
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
History tells us that more often than not first round QBs bust. Tannehill is rocketing up boards for some unknown reason...maybe because of potential I don't know but it's risky. If you look at first round QBs since 1998...well, let's look at them.

Peyton Manning (1)
Tim Couch (1)
Chad Pennington (18)
Michael Vick (1)
David Carr (1)
Carson Palmer (1)
Eli Manning (1)

Ryan Leaf (2)
Donovan McaNabb (2)

Joey Harrington (3)
Byron Leftwich (7)
Philip Rivers (4)

Akili Smith (3)

Patrick Ramsey (32)
Kyle Boller (19)
Ben Roethlisberger (11)

Daunte Culpepper (11)

Rex Grossman (22)
J.P. Losman (22)

Cade McNown (12)

Alex Smith (1)
Vince Young (3)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Matt Ryan (3)

Aaron Rodgers (24)
Matt Leinart (10)
Brady Quinn (22)
Joe Flacco (18)

Jay Cutler (11)

Red - Bust
Blue - Servicable, maybe some good years but not lived up to expectations of draft status or no playoff wins.

Most have busted...very rarely do you get more than two in a draft class that prove to be good, it's actually only happened once since 1998.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more depressing up in here this morning.

datruth55
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more depressing up in here this morning.
Sorry, lol.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
i forgot to add that i don't see high end intangibles with tannehill like you do if you watch even 10 minutes of andrew luck or matt barkley...i think he lacks that "everyone knows in this huddle i'm the man" quality...but maybe it comes with time...again...risky

i hope mike sherman knows how to evaluate qbs cause i'm sure he's the guy moving the kneedle on this...

flynryan15
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
i don't buy that philbin didn't want him...you don't bring him in if thats the case...i think ireland was just trying to get him to agree to a below market deal because he would be with a familiar face in philbin...and it backfired...thats my read

Agree and that is what all the analysis are saying you don't bring a guy in you don't want to sign it makes you look bad.

FinsDBess15
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I would target Blackmon, and Floyd if Blackmon is off the board, then draft Kirk Cousins in the 2nd round.

flynryan15
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
garrard jersey...i guess i could use it as a bib for my son or something...ugh

i've watched tannehill a decent amount in live games etc but never dug into his tape to see what he's seeing and his reads etc but i see a guy off a real time look who can stare down his targets not get into his later reads and throws picks...but i think people are gonna defend that by saying he's new to the position he just needs time and that may be the case but its a risky proposition for whoever drafts him...i always said for a guy who's highly rated in the draft he sure does throw a lot of ints...a little better than average arm not special by any means a good athlete good mobility love the length etc but very damn raw...

Im noticing his TD to INT ratio is inflated against bad teams and good defenses he throws picks.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Im noticing his TD to INT ratio is inflated against bad teams and good defenses he throws picks.

thats not surprising...

Krush
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Nick Foles or Weeden would be good to have, the most likely trade down to 15 where the guaranteed money is less an still get what they need on the team with extra draft choices.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
tannehiils pro day i believe is coming up end of the month...i expect us to pay heavy attention...i know i will be also...

fishbanger
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank god for Philben and Sherman. Lets analyze last years playoff and Super Bowl Teams with respect to first round QBs.

GB - Rodgers
Ravens - Flacco
Giants - Manning
Broncos - Tebow
Steelers - Rothlisberger
Saints - Brees 2nd round pick but dolphins could have had him at the end of their first round and let him slide for Jamar Fletcher
NE - Brady 6th round but Bledsoe was a starter when he was drafted to be a backup
Bears - Cutler (if he was not injured they make it easy)
Falcons - Ryan

Tureo
03-20-2012, 10:38 AM
He can always be our #1 WR if he fails as a QB

where's th'fish
03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
5. The Dolphins need to explain themselves more. This goes against Ireland's persona. But when your season-ticket sales are falling, when you're under attack by players, when your moves are being wildly questioned, the one weapon in your arsenal is to explain yourself a bit. Often, a few words go a long way toward making people undrerstand what's at work.

To be fair, in war it is often best if your enemies think you're a moron. For Ireland to explain himself at this time and blow whatever plan he has, would be amazingly stupid. Let's wait until the end of the offseason before we judge it.

Wildbill3
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
To be fair, in war it is often best if your enemies think you're a moron. For Ireland to explain himself at this time and blow whatever plan he has, would be amazingly stupid. Let's wait until the end of the offseason before we judge it.in war your enemies are delighted when they are right. lol.

jlfin
03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Agree and that is what all the analysis are saying you don't bring a guy in you don't want to sign it makes you look bad.
I don't agree. When an organization brings in a player, they already have set parameters as to what that player is worth. Some may call it lowballing, but the reality is that is what the FO valued him at. They realized he was a risk and not a sure thing, and their offer probably reflected that.
Everyone says that Seattle's offer wasn't that lucrative, but on NFL network they reported that he would earn 14-16 million the 1st 2yrs with an option at yr 3. So that means they will be paying a former 7th rd draft choice and career backup between 7-8 million/yr for the next 2 yrs.
If Flynn came to the Phins and Moore was the better player, then you would be paying over 7 million to a backup QB.
This whole issue has been sensationalized by ESPN et al. Time to move on. I personally was on the fence when it came to Flynn and was willing to defer to our coaching staff.

finfan54
03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
"cleveland missed out on a QB"

I didnt know they were trying? said screw matt flynn. and were the bad guys.

hooshoops
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
if flynns money was $10 mil guaranteed you could have put $8 mil against this years cap (essentually what you would have had to pay a alex smith on a yearly salary anyways) and you could have easily worst case eaten $2 mil in 2013 against the cap if you cut him...easily

its just a matter of working the contract the right damn way...seattles pretty much got a 1 year investment here if they want it to be only that...

the risk is so minimal its rediculous...

finfan54
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't agree. When an organization brings in a player, they already have set parameters as to what that player is worth. Some may call it lowballing, but the reality is that is what the FO valued him at. They realized he was a risk and not a sure thing, and their offer probably reflected that.
Everyone says that Seattle's offer wasn't that lucrative, but on NFL network they reported that he would earn 14-16 million the 1st 2yrs with an option at yr 3. So that means they will be paying a former 7th rd draft choice and career backup between 7-8 million/yr for the next 2 yrs.
If Flynn came to the Phins and Moore was the better player, then you would be paying over 7 million to a backup QB.
This whole issue has been sensationalized by ESPN et al. Time to move on. I personally was on the fence when it came to Flynn and was willing to defer to our coaching staff.

and how much will Tannehill cost at #8? with the new CBA and rookie cap, this is the largest factor as to why teams like us and Cleveland are waiting it out. Free agency is going to start to suck a little people. This is what was agreed to. its why Washington spent their draft picks, cus they knew he would not cost 100mil

Mogwai
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Dammit you all love misleading titles. Hyde has no inside information on the Dolphins plans. He's speculating. The sentinel headling is: "Dolphins must be targeting Tannehill." He's reading the situation, not offering anything insightful.

electrolyte
03-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Tannehill played WR a bit before switching to Quarterback.

The guy knows how to run routes effectively and is a hard worker. Plus he has a good arm and good vision. I read somewhere that he's a gym rat, so the kid looks to be full of potential.

The big knock on him though is he doesn't have a lot of games under his belt at quarterback, but whatever. I think the fact that he played wide receiver (im biased!) will help him a lot at QB.

If he is there for the Dolphins at #8, i hope we take him.

electrolyte
03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
if flynns money was $10 mil guaranteed you could have put $8 mil against this years cap (essentually what you would have had to pay a alex smith on a yearly salary anyways) and you could have easily worst case eaten $2 mil in 2013 against the cap if you cut him...easily

its just a matter of working the contract the right damn way...seattles pretty much got a 1 year investment here if they want it to be only that...

the risk is so minimal its rediculous...

the dolphins were not that high on flynn. joe philbin knows more about flynn than any of you... our fins had a price tag on him, and the seahawks offered more money.... so he went to the highest bidder. that's the end of it.

flynn has a total of 2 career games.....and he was a 7th round pick........look at the highlights of his games with the Packers. The WR's did all the work. short passes, mostly checkdowns to avoid the pass rush sure, but still they were checkdowns.... and the receivers ran it to the house for the touchdown. i'd say it was a fluke, to be honest. i did not see amazing throws in those games. inflated stats.

you guys are getting bent out of shape over a backup QB who had 2 fluke games. relax. dolphins didn't want to pay him that kind of money. which is EXACTLY what a good general manager needs to do. I am not defending ireland but at least he isn't spending our money on bad players.

MiamiDolfan85
03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree that we have to take the chance on Tannehill if he is still on the board at 8. However, I do not think that we should trade up to take him.I think Miami's really counting on Tannehill at 8.....but I agree, we're not in best position to be trading up any higher than we already are.

TheMageGandalf
03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Are we going after Tannehill because we are desperate? I am sorry but Tannehill does not seem to be worth it. As much as I want a QB, I would not select him in the top 10.

Its a reach. The kid looks like John Beck out there.

Unless this 'protest' forces his hand (which I dont believe it will), I cant see Ireland taking him at 8. Maybe he drops down and if he's there fine but at 8 I dont think Tannehill is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDEzCf3C7Y

houtz
03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I'd take Tannehill at #8, wouldn't think twice. I now realize Ireland had a plan. Miami will end up with Weeden or Tannehill. If we don't, he can seriously, seriously go **** himself.

DzakkH13
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
It's very obvious our Coaches want either Tannehill or some other rookie as our QB of the future.

If they wanted to roll with Flynn, they would have locked him up long term.

Face it folks, we ARE rebuilding.

Kthurmus23
03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Good I hope we get our 1st round QB. Usually people are upset that we are grabbing someones backup instead of getting the 1st round QB we haven't had since Dan. This year is the opposite. Lets just get our 1st rounder and hope it turns out then all of this will be forgotten.

SQuinn17
03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Tannehill = Gabbert

phinUCFphan
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Peyton Manning (1)
Tim Couch (1)
Chad Pennington (18)
Michael Vick (1)
David Carr (1)
Carson Palmer (1)
Eli Manning (1)

Ryan Leaf (2)
Donovan McaNabb (2)

Joey Harrington (3)
Byron Leftwich (7)
Philip Rivers (4)

Akili Smith (3)

Patrick Ramsey (32)
Kyle Boller (19)
Ben Roethlisberger (11)

Daunte Culpepper (11)

Rex Grossman (22)
J.P. Losman (22)

Cade McNown (12)

Alex Smith (1)
Vince Young (3)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Matt Ryan (3)

Aaron Rodgers (24)
Matt Leinart (10)
Brady Quinn (22)
Joe Flacco (18)

Jay Cutler (11)

Draft position in parathesis.
Red - Bust

That is interesting. That makes me nervous as well. I could forsee him taking 4 years to develop and then he is a FA.

Also why did we sign every former 1st round QB after their prime? Talk about being too gun shy...

Noodleman
03-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Just because we are desperate for a qb doesn't mean we should reach for Tannehill. I would rather have Weeden in 2nd than tannehill at 8. With the top 10 pick, Miami should get a player that is going to help day 1 and not reach on raw qb....seriously! You draft Ingram, Blackmon(I can dream), Caliborne(another dream). You dont take fricken Tannehill!