PDA

View Full Version : Trayvon Martin & The Invisible Man

BAMAPHIN 22
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
They do not see you.For every African American, it comes as surely as hard times, setback and tears, that moment when you realize somebody is looking right at you and yet not seeing you -- as if you had become cellophane, as if you had become air, as if somehow, some way, you were right there and at the same time not.Ralph Ellison described that phenomenon in a milestone novel that begins as follows: "I am an invisible man. No, I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe. Nor am I one of your Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids -- and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me."Trayvon Martin was killed on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., fully 60 years after Ellison published "Invisible Man." The circumstances of the unarmed 17-year-old's death suggest that even six decades later, invisibility plagues black folks still. http://www.freep.com/article/20120320/OPINION05/203200314/Leonard-Pitts-Jr-case-Trayvon-Martin-when-others-choose-not-see-you