PDA

View Full Version : Trade up to #5 for Blackmon?

foozool13
03-21-2012, 07:28 PM
So its pretty much set that 1-2 overall will be Luck and RG3. Then you have Minny at #3 who I think will take either Kahlil (popluar choice) or Claiborne.

Then you get to #4 and this is the wildcard in the draft. They could go one of 2 ways:

1. Ryan Tannehil QB

OR

2. Justin Blackmon WR

Should they decide that they have found thier franchise QB and pick Tannehill then that leave Blackmon on the board at #5. If we want to grab this guy this is the place to do it b/c the Rams will take him 99.9% at #6.

So what do you guys think of trading up from #8 to #5 to take Blackmon?

We could give them one of the 3rd rounders from the Bears trade and move up. For comparison, the Redskins dropped from #10 to #16 last year and all they got was a 6th round pick, so I think im being fair here.

MiamiMuss
03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
4 is not a wildcard its either Blackmon or Blackmon.

foozool13
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
4 is not a wildcard its either Blackmon or Blackmon.

So you think there is no chance that Cleve takes Tannehill? I respectfully disagree buddy.

jason_taylor
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
So you think there is no chance that Cleve takes Tannehill? I respectfully disagree buddy.

yeah buddy , lol

chrispepper
03-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Browns won't take a reciever, it's not holmgren's style.. its either richardson, claiborne, tannehill or a trade down.

Shabam88
03-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Colt Mccoy is honestly better than Tannehill.....they won't take him. I am fine with Floyd at 8 without having to trade up needlessly....he has every chance to be as good as Blackmon.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
So you think there is no chance that Cleve takes Tannehill? I respectfully disagree buddy.Honestly, I think Richardson could also be in play for Cleveland.

Locke
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
It would cost our 2nd rounder to move up to 5. That means we would be getting Blackmon and leaving ourselves with no 2nd rounder to grab Weeden or Cousins. Honestly, that may be the single stupidest thing this team could do in the draft...

DrewStogs.
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
You write it down right now, Blackmon will be a top 3 WR in the NFL within the next 3 years. I live in Oklahoma, and have watched him play every year. Kid is an absolute BALLER! He has great hands, game changing speed, a great vertical leap, and was the best YAC receivers in CFB this year and probably last year too. 2x Billetnikoff winner!
If we wanna forget about Marshall, Blackmon will surely do it

Ed Norton
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
If only they kept Marshall this wouldn't be such a desperate need. Too many holes to trade up right now. Unless it's for a close to a sure bet QB like Luck.

foozool13
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
It would cost our 2nd rounder to move up to 5. That means we would be getting Blackmon and leaving ourselves with no 2nd rounder to grab Weeden or Cousins. Honestly, that may be the single stupidest thing this team could do in the draft...

What makes you think it will take a 2nd to move up? Based on what?

Locke
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
What makes you think it will take a 2nd to move up? Based on what?

It took the Redskins 2 firsts and a second to jump up 4 spots. That trade screwed over every team trying to trade into the top 5 for the next few years. Especially with the rookie wage scale in place, the value of those top 5 picks have increased exponentially. Look no farther than what the Jets gave up to move up and get Sanchez, and what the Redskins had to give up to get RG3 just a few years later. I don't see anyway to move up to 5 without giving up that 2nd, and that's not including the other picks that would likely be needed. My guess would be a 2nd and 3rd minimum...

Exuro
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
It would probably cost a 3rd to move from 8 to 5. I'd rather keep that 3rd rounder and draft Floyd if they are going to go for a receiver.

jtrose70
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
The sad thing is, with all this speculation, there is the probability that the powers that be will pick an obscure nobody and shock us all. Jared Odrick come to mind? WTF was that pick about?

Locke
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
The sad thing is, with all this speculation, there is the probability that the powers that be will pick an obscure nobody and shock us all. Jared Odrick come to mind? WTF was that pick about?

We just moved to a 3-4 defense and were moving Starks to NT. We drafted Odrick to replace Starks. That was before Soliai had the light click on and turned into the player he is now. Made sense at the time. Also, I'm not sure if you remember or not, but the pick shouldn't have come as a surprise. Sparano's staff coached one of the Senior Bowl teams and there were reports that they loved Odrick. Rumor had it the Jets were ready to take him immediately after us if we didn't grab him...

jtrose70
03-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah, he's a real playmaker. He would seem outstanding "if" we had picked him in the 3rd or 4th round. Look back over the last 10-15 years. Show me the #1's that have played up to their pick. Long=Yes, Pouncy=We will see, Brown=More like 3rd round, Odrick="This one, not so much". The rest have been bad #1 picks completely. I just hope history doesn't repeat.

Exuro
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Couple reasons. Personnel-wise Jason Ferguson was facing a suspension to start the year, so Starks was slated to be the nose tackle. Merling just had an awful year and Soliai had yet to emerge. There were a lot of questions on the D line

During the draft, they traded back and were in front of New England and New York, By picking Odrick (consensus #1 3-4 end in the draft)they denied both division rivals the chance to get younger on the D Line. The Jets had to wait until 2011 to get Wilkerson, Pats still haven't drafted a guy to replace Seymour.

At the time the pick was a head scratcher, but it makes sense when you look at the whole picture.(to me at least)

jtrose70
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Hindsight, maybe. But we were dying for a good safety that year. That pick stands out to me as the wrong player. I hope he becomes a monster, but I think we would be better running a ball toward him twice a year as opposed to hoping he can make plays for us on a regular basis. I know all college players are a big question mark coming out, but that 1st rounder needs to be the best available player for our needs, not just a pick to slight another team.

Phinsguy
03-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Hindsight, maybe. But we were dying for a good safety that year. That pick stands out to me as the wrong player. I hope he becomes a monster, but I think we would be better running a ball toward him twice a year as opposed to hoping he can make plays for us on a regular basis. I know all college players are a big question mark coming out, but that 1st rounder needs to be the best available player for our needs, not just a pick to slight another team.

There was a monster already available in Jason Pierre-Paul but our Three Stooges FO decided on Odrick instead. In fact, most mocks had us taking JPP but we did what we normally do - confound everyone with our stupidity.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 04:39 AM
There was a monster already available in Jason Pierre-Paul but our Three Stooges FO decided on Odrick instead. In fact, most mocks had us taking JPP but we did what we normally do - confound everyone with our stupidity.

No they didn't. Mocks were force feeding us Dan Williams because Ferguson retired and we didn't know about Starks moving to NT and Soliai hadn't really stepped up yet. Plus JPP was raw and projecting him to OLB wasnt ideal. He seemed like a much better fit as a DE in the 4-3. Prior to the trade down I wanted Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or Dez. Odrick was a good pick at 28.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

foozool13
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
No they didn't. Mocks were force feeding us Dan Williams because Ferguson retired and we didn't know about Starks moving to NT and Soliai hadn't really stepped up yet. Plus JPP was raw and projecting him to OLB wasnt ideal. He seemed like a much better fit as a DE in the 4-3. Prior to the trade down I wanted Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or Dez. Odrick was a good pick at 28.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

A LOT of people on here wanted Graham over JPP, me included, but that guy hasnt done squat so far. Looking like a bust so far. Cant say that for Odrick. Everyone on finheaven thinks they know best. lol

Yeah, he's a real playmaker. He would seem outstanding "if" we had picked him in the 3rd or 4th round. Look back over the last 10-15 years. Show me the #1's that have played up to their pick. Long=Yes, Pouncy=We will see, Brown=More like 3rd round, Odrick="This one, not so much". The rest have been bad #1 picks completely. I just hope history doesn't repeat.

Vontae is a legit 1st round pick I think. He isnt a shut down corner like Champ or Revis, but the guy can hold his own and was a good pick.

Locke
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM

This is what I get for having to have an actual conversation with someone who was just looking for validation for being upset... :bobdole: