PDA

View Full Version : Will Bruce Irvin be available in 2nd-3rd round?

phinatic1399
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
I dint realize this dude was a serious pass-rusher, he had 7.5 sacks in 2011 and 14 sacks in 2010, he is 6-3 245 and ran a 4.43 40 at the combine, I think we should pass on ingram or coples and go for this dude in the 2nd or 3rd round. His stock is also dropping because he was arrested for marijuana posession so maybe we can scoop him later in the draft?

Irvin is currently rated as a possible second round pick by NFLDraftScout.com and as our No. 9 outside linebacker (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/OLB). Explosive off the snap and possessing an impressive array of pass rush moves, Irvin is considered by some to be the most talented pass rusher of the 2012 draft.

state06
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
He should be available, unless someone reaches for him early. He is not as good against the run andwould only be a situational pass rusher whereas ingram would most likely start if he was our pick.

hooshoops
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
i would be confident he's on the board in round 3...but i think i'd look elsewhere for my situational edge rusher

WelcomeBack
03-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Recent legal issues may make him available in the 5th or 6th round.

dolfaneric12
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Recent legal issues may make him available in the 5th or 6th round.

Yea probably right. I think he'll be a 4th round pick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/bruce-irvin-arrested-for-destruction-of-property/

Wow he ran a 4.43? That is pretty awesome for a guy his size

ckparrothead
03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
After his most recent arrest, considering his background history of legal trouble, I think he'll be available a lot later than the 2nd round...that's for sure.

Great player for about 8 snaps a game. If you want him to play more than that, he's in trouble.

finfan54
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
After his most recent arrest, considering his background history of legal trouble, I think he'll be available a lot later than the 2nd round...that's for sure.

Great player for about 8 snaps a game. If you want him to play more than that, he's in trouble.

CK, talent wise, how do you see him compared to Cam Johnson-Virginia?

next-year
03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Coming from a recent WVU alum, I don't want him anywhere before the 4-5th round. his first season he only played on passing downs and was relatively unknown so he didn't have to deal with blocking schemes designed to stop him. He Was consistently getting stood up by decent tackles and would on occasion getstood up by better blocking rb's. ALLL of that being said he does have the tools to become a dominant OLB, also he's got a pretty incredible life story if you ever geta chance to read it http://fauxbruceirvin.com/former-hs-dropout-now-excelling-at-wvu/

Arsenal WV
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM

lolno

hooshoops
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
huh...had no idea about his recent arrest...looks like he'll be on the board on the last day of the draft still...

ckparrothead
03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
CK, talent wise, how do you see him compared to Cam Johnson-Virginia?

Cam Johnson a bigger, more physically impressive player. My concerns with Johnson are just related to how raw he is. I get peeved at the misuse of that word sometimes but in Johnson's case I think it fits. There are times the man just forgets that hand technique is even a thing, you'll see more hand technique in a mosh pit at a death metal concert. Also he'll just take these weird angles trying to go around people when he'd be better off getting the shoulder and pushing through (which he's more than capable of doing). He was a star receiver and defensive back in high school, and played linebacker at UVA his first two years before moving to Defensive End. That explains the rawness in his defensive line technique. He's got a LOT of potential and when he's not out there thinking or juking or anything, you see it.

Compare him to like a Greg Hardy, someone like that.

finfan54
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Cam Johnson a bigger, more physically impressive player. My concerns with Johnson are just related to how raw he is. I get peeved at the misuse of that word sometimes but in Johnson's case I think it fits. There are times the man just forgets that hand technique is even a thing, you'll see more hand technique in a mosh pit at a death metal concert. Also he'll just take these weird angles trying to go around people when he'd be better off getting the shoulder and pushing through (which he's more than capable of doing). He was a star receiver and defensive back in high school, and played linebacker at UVA his first two years before moving to Defensive End. That explains the rawness in his defensive line technique. He's got a LOT of potential and when he's not out there thinking or juking or anything, you see it.

Compare him to like a Greg Hardy, someone like that.

thanks!

finfan54
03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
philbin wants high character. end of story as far as i am concerned.

Just looking at our roster last night. There is that guy we picked up that didnt get a whole lot of PT due to offseason. I'll get his name. I bet Ireland has his eyes on that possibility. There are complete no-names on our roster who have skills.

Jonathan Freeney #49

Arsenal WV
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Just curious why you think that?

In 2010 he was a 3rd down pass rusher only. In 2011 he was a permanent DE in a 3-4 system, and got double-teamed quite a bit.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
When we resigned Soliai, getting a full time DE/pass rusher became less of a need. I think getting a situational guy like Bruce Irvin on day 3 could serve Miami well.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

TedSlimmJr
03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Irvin's 14 sacks ranked 2nd in the country when he was allowed to be only a situational pass rusher as a junior. He played out of position at DE in Jeff Casteel's 3-3-5 stack defense when they tried to make him an every down player. It's just not what he is.

However, he has elite athleticism and change of direction skills. There's typically only 1 guy in any draft Irvin's size with that type of speed and athleticism.

His checkered past is going to hurt him on draft day, but make no mistake, teams will take note of his unique ability. Boom or bust prospect. There's literally no middle ground there with this type of prospect.

Fin Thirteen
04-01-2012, 04:04 AM
I you read the sticky "workouts" thread, half the teams in the league are having him in for a workout/interview. Someone will bite earlier than the rest.

twix2500
04-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Ummm I see no info about him being arrested for drugs recently??? He recently got arrested for punching a sign, not drugs, no big deal. He is definitely on my wish list.

hooshoops
04-01-2012, 10:08 PM
no doubt in my mind he's still on the board in the 3rd round...i see him more as a 4th round value...i'm not taking a guy to give me 8-10 snaps a game in the 2nd round

TedSlimmJr
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Like I said, there's typically only one elite pure pass rusher in any draft with Bruce Irvin's athletic ability, speed, and COD skills.

Seattle reached based on the fact that he's not going to bring much in terms of stack-and-shed in the run game on 1st and 2nd down, but there was no way he was going to last beyond the top 40 picks.

If they let him only come in on 3rd downs and rush the passer like the 49ers did for Aldon Smith, he'll justify this pick.

VDOGG77
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
we talk trash about Ireland but that God we do not have the GM of the Seahawks