PDA

View Full Version : Why is Courtney Upshaw Falling

SF Dolphin Fan
03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
I've seen some recent drafts that don't include Courtney Upshaw in the 1st round. Before the combine, he was talked about quite a bit as a potential Dolphin target at #8. Most expected he wouldn't have a great combine and possibly move down, but really how far down do you think he'll fall? Upshaw is a player and I'd love him in a trade down scenario. If Ryan Tannehill isn't there at #8, I could see Miami moving down maybe with Cincy at #17. Upshaw there would make a lot of sense, although I think the team might also consider Kendall Wright.

MiamiDolphin618
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I've seen some recent drafts that don't include Courtney Upshaw in the 1st round. Before the combine, he was talked about quite a bit as a potential Dolphin target at #8. Most expected he wouldn't have a great combine and possibly move down, but really how far down do you think he'll fall? Upshaw is a player and I'd love him in a trade down scenario. If Ryan Tannehill isn't there at #8, I could see Miami moving down maybe with Cincy at #17. Upshaw there would make a lot of sense, although I think the team might also consider Kendall Wright.
Yeah it was all about a poor combine showing. He is still going to be a very good player, and I think he is arguably the most complete 3-4 OLB in this draft. His combine showed he lacked some explosion so people worry about his pass rush without those high end tools. Def. still a first round pick in my mind

NorFlaFin
03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Maybe cause his 6'1"?

hooshoops
03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
lacks length lacks pass rush arsenal a relatively average first step...that said i do still think he's a top 20 bpa...but its probably on the tail end of that

footsteps_falco
03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
hey hoops i think lombardi said the dolphins hoped to get peyton but never planned to get him, speaking to rich eisen, and then said dont confuse hope with a plan, rich.

Tunaphish429
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
He is listed at 6'1 272...

If you wanted to use him in a 34 as an OLB he has decent weight for it....But is a little bit short..

So it seems like he is a bit of tweener...Too slow to be a Sam in a 43 , Does not have the elite length or pass rush to be an OLB in a 34..

Could maybe play De in a 43 tho. Still the length has to bother you...

You would think he could lose some weight maybe gain a bit more speed and play as a Sam in a 43?

MiamiMuss
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
He is listed at 6'1 272...

If you wanted to use him in a 34 as an OLB he has decent weight for it....But is a little bit short..

So it seems like he is a bit of tweener...Too slow to be a Sam in a 43 , Does not have the elite length or pass rush to be an OLB in a 34..

Could maybe play De in a 43 tho. Still the length has to bother you...

You would think he could lose some weight maybe gain a bit more speed and play as a Sam in a 43?

If you watch his game film hes much better standing up.Although with a little refining he could be a 4-3 end.

Tunaphish429
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
If you watch his game film hes much better standing up.Although with a little refining he could be a 4-3 end.

Makes sense...He could afford to lose some weight..Most 34 Olb's are around 260.. That 12 pounds would help his straight line speed for sure. ..

You also have to take into account the Nick Saban D.....He is able to scheme up his players so well..

Kyle Williams is the only Saban guy that has been succesful that I can think of?

ckparrothead
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
He's only falling because he didn't participate in measurement drills at the Combine or his first Alabama Pro Day. When you don't give people a constant flow of new data points, you fall.

When Ryan Tannehill busts out a 4.4x or low 4.5x at his Pro Day in a week (assuming his foot is healthy, which may be a bad assumption), you'll hear a lot of those "#8 is too high" chants go silent.

hooshoops
03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
i would expect tannehill to run well also if he does...i don't know if 4.4's are in the cards but low 4.5's yeah i can see it...he outran i think it was markelle martin 40 yards on a scamper and martin never closed distance...no question kid can move

but i see him as far as athletically at qb with a lot of straight line in him...

Fin Thirteen
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Upshaw is my fav pass rusher of the bunch. I like Mercilus and Ingram about equal and then Coples is after that.

TedSlimmJr
03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Upshaw's stock is eventually going to settle where it most likely was going to be all along, which is somewhere in the teens.

I don't think mock drafts are an accurate depiction of a prospect's stock. 32 teams are going to have 32 different draft boards.

31 teams can have a 3rd round grade on a kid, while 1 team has a 1st round grade on him. All it takes is that 1 team to like him that much to go in the 1st round.

I doubt any mock drafts out there had Tyson Alualu in the top 10, or Tyson Jackson in the top 5.... but that's where they were selected because it only takes 1 team.

Every mock draft that existed at the time probably had Duke Robinson going in the 1st round, and the top guard on the board from September of his senior season all the way up until the draft in April. He ended up being selected in the 5th round.

I would imagine there's more than 1 team out there with a 1st round grade on Upshaw.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Upshaw is my fav pass rusher of the bunch. I like Mercilus and Ingram about equal and then Coples is after that.I agree. If Coples had Upshaw's motor he'd be an automatic top 5. Just like what Upshaw brings to the field.

j-off-her-doll
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Upshaw's stock is eventually going to settle where it most likely was going to be all along, which is somewhere in the teens.

I don't think mock drafts are an accurate depiction of a prospect's stock. 32 teams are going to have 32 different draft boards.

31 teams can have a 3rd round grade on a kid, while 1 team has a 1st round grade on him. All it takes is that 1 team to like him that much to go in the 1st round.

I doubt any mock drafts out there had Tyson Alualu in the top 10, or Tyson Jackson in the top 5.... but that's where they were selected because it only takes 1 team.

Every mock draft that existed at the time probably had Duke Robinson going in the 1st round, and the top guard on the board from September of his senior season all the way up until the draft in April. He ended up being selected in the 5th round.

I would imagine there's more than 1 team out there with a 1st round grade on Upshaw.

I remember being shocked out how high CK had Aualu on his top-whatever-it-was big board. I know it was top 15. I want to say something like 12.