PDA

View Full Version : No thoughts of Brock Osweiler in the 2nd or 3rd round?

LikeUntoGod
03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
And OMG, please do not be so simple that you say that you think he reminds you of Dan McGwire mainly because he is also tall.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
Height: 6-7. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Hand: 9 7/8.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
3/5/12: Osweiler was moving up draft boards as teams prepared for the Combine. He hurt his climb by not working out in Indianapolis. Osweiler is going to need an impressive pro day to be the fourth quarterback selected. Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins are his competition, and they both worked out at the Combine.

Osweiler is big-armed pocket passer who has surprising mobility. The former basketball player has good athletic ability for being so tall. Looking at him, one would think he would be a statue in the pocket, but that is definitely not the case. As a junior this year, Osweiler completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,036 yards with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and three touchdowns. Osweiler set the school record for yards, completions and attempts. In 2010, he had only two starts, but played well, throwing for 797 yards and five touchdowns with zero interceptions while also running for 168 yards and a score.

Osweiler has real arm strength and the gun to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He is very raw and needs some work. If Osweiler goes to a good coaching staff that can develop him for a few years, he could turn into something. It wouldn't be surprising if Osweiler's stock rises during the lead up to the draft. He should have stayed in school and improved before going pro.

ChambersChamps
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Horrible footwork

Shaman
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I'd take him in the 3rd, but the write-up is correct. He needs a lot of work.

X-Pacolypse
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
He needs work, but if Miami can't get Tannehill, I would take Osweiler before Weeden.

rickd13
03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm not impressed at all. He shot puts the ball and I don't like his accuracy. I really don't like Cousins and Foles either. Give me Tannehill or Weeden or if they take someone later, I like Ryan Lindley and maybe B.J. Coleman.

Njphinsfan
03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
I say no to 2nd rd. 3rd round, maybe, depending on how our first 2 rounds go. I would rather Weeden, Tannehill, and even Cousins before Osweiler, but I think he has some potential.

DKphin
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Osweiler's lack of experience is going to hurt him in the draft. He does not line up under center alot, if at all. Can he make the 5 and 7 step drops? Will his feet get tangled up when asked to do this? But with a guy his size, he is not a statue in the pocket. He has athleticism. He can throw the touch pass or gun it when it is warranted. His lack of experience sometimes leads him into making the errant throw and he can get rattled by pressure in the pocket. But that should improve with more experience. When he began at the position he had a long delivery and has really worked to shorten it. I think he is a couple of years away, but in this era of people going nuts over QBs i.e. Tanneyhill being viewed in the top 10, he made go higher than he should. I would put a low 3rd or a 4th rd grade on him. JMHO.

mmansfield
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
He does need work in his footwork a lot and a tweak of throwing mechanics. Has anyone seen him since his bowl game? If he is working with people on his footwork and mechanics and they have become less sporadic that would be a great sign he could be coached up. In which case I would take him with our second if he has stayed the same then stay away either he doesn't care or isn't coachable.

NorFlaFin
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't like his sulking on the sidelines, not a fan of immature whiners.

Dude really needed to stay and grownup

LANGER72
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I would pick him up in the 4th or 5th round if he is still there. He is a project. The potential upside is very good, but he will need a couple of seasons to adjust to the NFL game and mature as a player.

LikeUntoGod
03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I believe that almost every season you should draft someone that has the potential to be a NFL QB. Someone that you can set and coach for 2-3 years before he needs to step on the field.

Philbin helped Matt Flynn become a NFL QB, I'd hope he could do the same with someone like Osweiler. His lack of experience is the only reason we have a chance to draft him.

And it seems like we are set to run the season with Matt Moore and David Garrard so investing in a possible future QB seems to me to be a good idea. I'm not sure that anyone beside Luck and RG3 are NFL ready anyway.

I'd take him in the 3rd if he is still there.

Austin Tatious
03-22-2012, 11:45 PM
More like a 4th rounder, which is where Scott Mitchell went. That's maybe the best case scenario for him.

dlockz
03-23-2012, 12:01 AM
He needs work, but if Miami can't get Tannehill, I would take Osweiler before Weeden.

quite agreed , just what we need to do throw away another pick on a qb

TedSlimmJr
03-23-2012, 12:12 AM
None whatsoever.

LikeUntoGod
03-23-2012, 08:27 PM
One day, maybe when Ireland and Ross are gone and we are dead, we will either have to spend a early draft pick on a QB and/or draft one in a later round to develop that has NFL skills.

And by later round I do not mean a 6th to 7th rounder.

Roman529
03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
As an ASU alum you don't have to sell me on Osweiler. The guy is not your typical tall slow QB....he played basketball and he knows how to move around in the pocket and can run for a first down if you fall asleep on him. His footwork and stance could use some work, but you don't have to worry about his passes getting knocked down. Sometimes he has a hitch in his release, kind of like Rivers with the Chargers, but Osweiler is very accurate and I think he has a lot of upside potential. Could be an NFL starter in 2-3 years. Watch his YouTube vids throwing the ball to Pflugrad. :woot:

PhinsTD
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I predict he falls come draft day. He's not the guy to run our system, though I do agree you should take a developmental QB every year.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't like his sulking on the sidelines, not a fan of immature whiners.

Dude really needed to stay and grownupI agree. I think he has a very high bust factor.

sinPHIN
03-24-2012, 02:14 AM
if we dont get tannehill i want this guy. better than cousins, and just a better prospect than weeden imo

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Not sure how this.guy is ahead of weeden on anyones big board.