PDA

View Full Version : What team would draft Weeden ahead of Miami's 2nd round pick?

The Goat
03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Assuming the Fins don't take Tannehill at 8 for whatever reason...tell me who picks him before he gets to Miami in the 2nd:

Tough, isn't it?

I cannot think of many teams without one of the following three things:

1) An established "top third in the league" QB - this team is looking to draft a project QB with upside in the later rounds.

2) A need for a long term solution at QB.

3) A "project" QB already on the roster.

I can see MAYBE four teams doing this.

Cleveland late in the first or in the second, if they do not take Tannehill.
Buffalo in the second.
Denver in the first.
San Francisco in the first.

TrinidadDolfan
03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Did you just say Denver in the 1st?
Really?

The Goat
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Did you just say Denver in the 1st?
Really?

They're "all-in" with Peyton, and got rid of Tebow, and are CLEARLY making a run right now. They have no discernible backup if Peyton goes down.

Taking an older, but "pro-ready" QB at #25 to plug in if Peyton goes down isn't the worst move.

Kdawg954
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I made a list in another thread of some teams that could draft before or trade above Miami in the 2nd round.

Cowboys
Eagles
Chiefs
49ers
Cardinals
Bills
Saints
Texans

You never know what other teams think of a QB and the "smart" teams are always looking for talent at that position. Why do you think Ryan Mallet was drafted by New England. Brady said he has 10 years left in him, they still go Mallet.

Miami can't toy around too long if they like Weeden. I'm not saying draft him at 8, but be proactive if you really have him pegged as the guy.

MiamiDolphin618
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Kansas City and Cleveland are big possibilities

The Goat
03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I made a list in another thread of some teams that could draft before or trade above Miami in the 2nd round.

Cowboys
Eagles
Chiefs
49ers
Cardinals
Bills
Saints
Texans

You never know what other teams think of a QB and the "smart" teams are always looking for talent at that position. Why do you think Ryan Mallet was drafted by New England. Brady said he has 10 years left in him, they still go Mallet.

Miami can't toy around too long if they like Weeden. I'm not saying draft him at 8, but be proactive if you really have him pegged as the guy.

Fair enough...I thought about most of these....

Cowboys - In a 2nd round trade up? Maybe. I could actually see that.
Eagles - SERIOUSLY doubt it. They have Vick, plus they would either have to use the #15 overall pick to do it or trade up in the 2nd. Also keep in mind that they used their 1st rounder on an "older" guy last year (Danny Watkins) who did NOT work out as they hoped. They do it again, Philly fans might burn stuff down.
Chiefs - Maybe. But they'd have to trade up in the 2nd or use the #12 overall pick to do it.
49ers - I listed them as a possibility.
Cardinals - Unlikely. They just paid Kolb, who is YOUNGER than Weeden.
Bills - I listed them as a possibility.
Saints - Highly doubt it. They don't have ANY picks before the Dolphins this year...and have no 2nd next year. They just don't have anything to trade up WITH.
Texans - with Schaub and T.J. Yates there? I kinda doubt they'd go after Weeden in the first or trade up in the 2nd.

Also...Mallett was drafted after the point where Miami drafts in the 2nd this year.

The Goat
03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Kansas City and Cleveland are big possibilities

Cleveland scares me the most.

I guess my point is this:

If Cleveland takes Tannehill at #4, I'm taking BPA at #8 and keeping my ears open...Weeden could very well drop right to Miami in the second.

MiamiDolphin618
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Cleveland scares me the most.

I guess my point is this:

If Cleveland takes Tannehill at #4, I'm taking BPA at #8 and keeping my ears open...Weeden could very well drop right to Miami in the second.
Fair enough...but if Cleveland takes Tannehill at #4, and we take BPA at #8...we have to trade up to ENSURE we get Weeden. We cant risk being skipped over and losing out on both Weeden and Tannehill IMO

SF Dolphin Fan
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't think anyone expected the Patriots to take Ryan Mallett last year so you just never know.

The Goat
03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Fair enough...but if Cleveland takes Tannehill at #4, and we take BPA at #8...we have to trade up to ENSURE we get Weeden. We cant risk being skipped over and losing out on both Weeden and Tannehill IMO

Fair enough. Maybe one of the thirds in addition to our second to trade up in to the end of the first....

The Goat
03-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I don't think anyone expected the Patriots to take Ryan Mallett last year so you just never know.

Yes. Again, Mallett was not drafted until the third round.

Zounds
03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Cleveland late in the first or in the second, if they do not take Tannehill.
Buffalo in the second.
Denver in the first.
San Francisco in the first.

I would add Philly to the list. Andy Reid drafted Kolb when McNabb was still in his prime, and I dont believe he thinks Vince Young is the long term solution. Vick will be injured at least once this year.

I think Denver is the real threat though. They need someone to groom under Manning, and I dont believe they have any other QBs on the roster right now.

Pinkboy
03-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Weeden would be awesome with Manning in Denver.

Aqua and Orange
03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
This is a bizarre-sounding, out on a limb statement, but I strongly believe Denver drafts a developmental QB earlier than expected in this draft. Tannehill fits this mold perfectly, as does Osweiler. No pressure to push Peyton, but also planning for the future. Makes far too much sense.

Rich get richer.