PDA

View Full Version : Trying Out A Mock

NJjeff
03-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I never really made a mock draft but I do go over the players enough he is my shot. Tell me what you think.

One trade involved.. Miami 1st to Philly for 1st, 3rd and 4th (jump the bills for luke Keuchy)
or (doesn't effect the draft) Miami 1st to Dallas for 1st 3rd and 4th(jump up to grab Keuchy or a DE)

1.Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame........... A stud wr you can be a true #1 for many years
2.Bobbie Massie RT Mississippi............. Solves our RT problem giving us a young and close to dominating line(should beat out Murth or Jerry)
3.Alshon Jeffrey WR South Carolina...... Production was there but has fallen due to problems could be a huge steal
3.Cam Johnson DE Virginia..................Very High upside and could be an anchor on this line that lets us shape it up a but more next offseason
3.Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State........Big man who also has slipped a bit our DLine just like our Oline just got young and talented in the last few years
4.Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame..........Him and Reshad Jones can battle it out with one of them or Marshall and possibly Sean Smith going to FS
4.Josh Robinson CB Central Florida....... Talented YES. Starter maybe not. He could end up being very valuable can never have to much talent at db
5.Brandon Brooks OG Miami OHio.......... Massive strong guard that can battle Murtha and Jerry to set all 5 spots on this line
6.Ladarius Green TE Loisiana Lafayette.. Fasano Clay and Green gives us a very nice trio of TEs if Green or Clay play up a bit we might be set here
7.Asa Jackson CB Cal Poly................... Talent at DB need tons of it and this kid has it. 4.4 40 smooth hips, not afraid to tack AND returns punts

UFA... Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State..He really might fall out of this draft now and if he does we should give him a shot
Brian Linthicum TE Michigan State.. Strong and decent blocker also moves around alot to create coverage mishaps
Omar Brown FS Marshall...............I am not alone on this. Ball skills tenacious and loves to hit like a SS
Dan Persa QB Northwestern.......... Accurate might fit the system well

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
I would really like a draft like this. I think Alshon will be a beast. Only thing I see wrong is I would add a speed reciever as well with one of the picks. Overall it gets a easy A!!!!

JWA
03-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Everything I read tells me that Josh Robinson doesn't make it out of the second round. Good draft otherwise.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I never really made a mock draft but I do go over the players enough he is my shot. Tell me what you think.

One trade involved.. Miami 1st to Philly for 1st, 3rd and 4th (jump the bills for luke Keuchy)
or (doesn't effect the draft) Miami 1st to Dallas for 1st 3rd and 4th(jump up to grab Keuchy or a DE)

1.Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame........... A stud wr you can be a true #1 for many years
2.Bobbie Massie RT Mississippi............. Solves our RT problem giving us a young and close to dominating line(should beat out Murth or Jerry)
3.Alshon Jeffrey WR South Carolina...... Production was there but has fallen due to problems could be a huge steal
3.Cam Johnson DE Virginia..................Very High upside and could be an anchor on this line that lets us shape it up a but more next offseason
3.Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State........Big man who also has slipped a bit our DLine just like our Oline just got young and talented in the last few years
4.Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame..........Him and Reshad Jones can battle it out with one of them or Marshall and possibly Sean Smith going to FS
4.Josh Robinson CB Central Florida....... Talented YES. Starter maybe not. He could end up being very valuable can never have to much talent at db
5.Brandon Brooks OG Miami OHio.......... Massive strong guard that can battle Murtha and Jerry to set all 5 spots on this line
6.Ladarius Green TE Loisiana Lafayette.. Fasano Clay and Green gives us a very nice trio of TEs if Green or Clay play up a bit we might be set here
7.Asa Jackson CB Cal Poly................... Talent at DB need tons of it and this kid has it. 4.4 40 smooth hips, not afraid to tack AND returns punts

UFA... Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State..He really might fall out of this draft now and if he does we should give him a shot
Brian Linthicum TE Michigan State.. Strong and decent blocker also moves around alot to create coverage mishaps
Omar Brown FS Marshall...............I am not alone on this. Ball skills tenacious and loves to hit like a SS
Dan Persa QB Northwestern.......... Accurate might fit the system well

I don't think the Fins can go another year w/o addressing the QB position. Both Moore and Garrard are on one year deals. Miami needs to have a guy ready to start the 2013 season if need be. If you take off Bobbie Massie and Alshon Jeffrey (Alshon won't be there with our 3rd round pick) and find a way to get us either Tannehill/Weeden . . . this becomes a better draft.

datruth55
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't think the two WRs you picked are a good fit for this offense. This offense requires WRs to run the entire route tree, not just screens and vertical routes like Floyd ran at Notre Dame. Floyd has some stiffness in his route running and he doesn't get in and out of breaks very smoothly. I think people see his size and his sub-4.5 speed and think he's a fit anywhere and that's not the case. As for Jeffrey, I have serious questions about a guy that played at 240, drops down to 219 for the combine and then refuses to run despite the fact that he's perfectly healthy. What happens when he gets his paycheck? Does he balloon up to 240...or more?

I also don't know why we would take 3 DBs. I would much rather take 3 OG/OT...I'm still looking to upgrade from Incognito and get some more athletic lineman that can pull and get to the second level. The only interior lineman that can do that well right now is Pouncey.

datruth55
03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think the Fins can go another year w/o addressing the QB position. Both Moore and Garrard are on one year deals. Miami needs to have a guy ready to start the 2013 season if need be. If you take off Bobbie Massie and Alshon Jeffrey (Alshon won't be there with our 3rd round pick) and find a way to get us either Tannehill/Weeden . . . this becomes a better draft.
Even Kirk Cousins in the 3rd would work for me. Tannehill/Weeden/Cousins are the only 3 I'm interested in for us. Weeden and Cousins I think could start fairly soon, if not day 1 IMO. Tannehill will have to sit for a while.

j-off-her-doll
03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I mean, I think Floyd would fit in any offense, but I definitely agree that those aren't the types of WR's I expect to see us targeting.

Pinkboy
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
3 of your first 5 picks are linemen,

Holy crap just stop it already. We've had it up to here with wasting resources on god damn linemen as it is. Now start drafting players who can put the ball in the end zone and some playmakers on both sides of the ball.

a couple guys in the secondary who can catch a damn football would be nice. Some ballhawks, some fast and efficient receivers and TE's with some hands. Players with a great nose for the football, and the end zone. And how about players who can create some turnovers, that would be nice for once. You know, like other teams with playmakers do to Miami so often

This Miami defense is average at best and it's not because of the linemen. This defense only hides by pumping stats against extremely poor offenses and 3rd string QB's, against real QB's and playoff caliber offenses they get lit up like a christmas tree and can never make plays in the 2nd half when it matters.

It doesn't matter what linemen you have when you have a team full of stiffs and plugs that can't make any plays. The dolphins are one of the worst teams in the league for having players that can routinely make plays.

Bottomline - get players that can make plays . And how about a quarterback for once.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it.. does it make a sound?

If a left tackle blocks, but the QB sucks and the team doesn't have anyone who can make any plays and the team doesn't win....Did the block actually happen?

enough of the fat fukkin linemen. Stop the madness. It's not 1960

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Even Kirk Cousins in the 3rd would work for me. Tannehill/Weeden/Cousins are the only 3 I'm interested in for us. Weeden and Cousins I think could start fairly soon, if not day 1 IMO. Tannehill will have to sit for a while.

I don't disagree and I'm not a big fan of Tannehill at #8 to be honest with you, but I could see it happen. Really the only other big threat to snatch him in the first round (if Cleveland passes at 4) is probably Cleveland with that 2nd first rounder or KC in a surprise move (which it won't seem very Pioli like to draft a QB so high with the success he has had with Brady and Cassell).

It's a tough decision and Ireland needs a great draft. Although drafting Tannehill at 8 would silence some people, I don't necessarily believe it's the best move for Miami. Like you said, he isn't ready this year and the demand for him to be ready could be substantial. I'm all for taking a Justin Blackmon or a Michael Floyd at 8 and then seeing how it plays out. I think if he gets by that 2nd Cleveland pick, you start making moves to jump in front of Cleveland in the 2nd round.

I do think Pat Devlin could make a few strides under Philbin and more of a west coast offense and become a decent backup by next year, I just wanna make sure Miami has a guy they are confident can be there starter by then.

I honestly think Weeden is their guy more than anything and a draft of:

1. Blackmon
2. Weeden

would be an ideal scenario for them.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I mean, I think Floyd would fit in any offense, but I definitely agree that those aren't the types of WR's I expect to see us targeting.

Yea Floyd is extremely versatile and he is already fairly polished so you would be getting a guy who could step in and fill a #1 WR role from day 1. He can do many things that other young WR's struggle with and he has great size and solid speed with nice hands. Someone else said it before . . . I don't think Greenbay passed on guys like Floyd because he "doesn't" fit their offense. I don't think they were ever in a real position to get a guy like Floyd. I don't see how a guy of Floyd's ability would be a detriment to any offense. He works hard, and honestly, he has his head on his shoulders. He made a couple mistakes with alcohol and by all accounts has put it all in the past. I'd be thrilled with the pick . . . I mean geez any playmaker at this point.

datruth55
03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Yea Floyd is extremely versatile and he is already fairly polished so you would be getting a guy who could step in and fill a #1 WR role from day 1. He can do many things that other young WR's struggle with and he has great size and solid speed with nice hands. Someone else said it before . . . I don't think Greenbay passed on guys like Floyd because he "doesn't" fit their offense. I don't think they were ever in a real position to get a guy like Floyd. I don't see how a guy of Floyd's ability would be a detriment to any offense. He works hard, and honestly, he has his head on his shoulders. He made a couple mistakes with alcohol and by all accounts has put it all in the past. I'd be thrilled with the pick . . . I mean geez any playmaker at this point.
Green Bay would not draft a guy like Floyd. They like guys with better short area quickness. They've passed on guys like Dwayne Bowe, they took Jordy Nelson over James Hardy and Limas Sweed (two big recievers like Floyd, Hardy ran 4.45 at the combine and is 6'6" 217 lbs, Sweed ran 4.48 at the Combine and is 6'4" 215 lbs). I fully expect us to look hard at grabbing someone like Chris Givens who is built almost exactly like Greg Jennings and has a knack for getting a lot of YAC and in Wake Forest's offense he normally caught the ball in a lot of traffic. Wake runs a lot of short crossing routes, screens and slant routes.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Green Bay would not draft a guy like Floyd. They like guys with better short area quickness. They've passed on guys like Dwayne Bowe, they took Jordy Nelson over James Hardy and Limas Sweed (two big recievers like Floyd, Hardy ran 4.45 at the combine and is 6'6" 217 lbs, Sweed ran 4.48 at the Combine and is 6'4" 215 lbs). I fully expect us to look hard at grabbing someone like Chris Givens who is built almost exactly like Greg Jennings and has a knack for getting a lot of YAC and in Wake Forest's offense he normally caught the ball in a lot of traffic. Wake runs a lot of short crossing routes, screens and slant routes.

I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to Michael Floyd comparing him to Hardy and Sweed. Floyd is a better WR than both of them, don't matter if the combine stats are similar. As far as Bowe goes, Green Bay had Jennings and Driver already on the team and they had more pressing needs. You could argue our most pressing need is at WR (although QB is obvious). I just don't think Green Bay was ever presented with the situation of getting a guy with the talents of Michael Floyd with WR also being a primary position of need.

I'm sure I read where Miami met with him at the combine, and they were shopping Brandon Marshall at the time. I think he is a target for the Dolphins at 8.

datruth55
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to Michael Floyd comparing him to Hardy and Sweed. Floyd is a better WR than both of them, don't matter if the combine stats are similar. As far as Bowe goes, Green Bay had Jennings and Driver already on the team and they had more pressing needs. You could argue our most pressing need is at WR (although QB is obvious). I just don't think Green Bay was ever presented with the situation of getting a guy with the talents of Michael Floyd with WR also being a primary position of need.

I'm sure I read where Miami met with him at the combine, and they were shopping Brandon Marshall at the time. I think he is a target for the Dolphins at 8.
Is Floyd better because he plays at Notre Dame? I just don't think he's that good. And Green Bay took Jordy Nelson when they had Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones on the roster already. They take BPA in the first two rounds every time.

OrlandoFin
03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Don't want to speak for Datruth, but not sure he is comparing Floyd to those guys in ability, but in size. I agree with you that Flotd is much better than those guys, but I agree with datruth about looking st the types of WR's GB has drafted. They don't usually go for the bigger receivers, they go for the guys with quick feet that can get seperation right of the LOS. I think Givens is a perceft fit for this and would be shocked if he isn't on Miami's radar in round two.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Is Floyd better because he plays at Notre Dame? I just don't think he's that good. And Green Bay took Jordy Nelson when they had Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones on the roster already. They take BPA in the first two rounds every time.

Floyd just does alot of things right, things that when I have watched him other WR's don't necessarily show at a level that he has. He can handle the press, he can run solid routes, he has great hands, he can win in the air . . . Notre Dame has nothing to do with it. His combine just solidified the skills he has shown over the course of 4 years at Notre Dame. Golden Tate was a 2nd round guy, and in Floyd's freshman year you couldn't even watch Tate because Floyd was jumping off the screen the whole time he wasn't hurt. Plus compared with guys like Blackmon, Wright, Julio Jones, Weeden . . . who all had decent QB's throughout their tenures . . . Floyd has done it with lesser named guys (Sure he had Clausen as a Freshman for a few games).

Hey I admit, I'm higher on him than alot of people, but if Miami truly wants a guy to "step in" and replace the threat Brandon Marshall was, Floyd is the best candidate in this draft. Obviously I want them to have a comfort level with him and do their homework (which for this front office is always a challenge) but I think he definitely has the ability to be everything we could ask for in a WR.

Green Bay does take BPA, I'm just saying they weren't in a position to take those guys that were "higher" rated. You think if Green Bay had a chance at AJ Green or Calvin Johnson they would say "this isn't the type of guy we draft"? (Obviously not comparing Floyd to those 2 guys, because both were better prospects but just as a size comparison)

We don't have a precision QB in Aaron Rodgers who can pinpoint to these smaller WR's. It doesn't hurt to have this fairly polished big target with speed and versatility to throw the ball to.

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Don't want to speak for Datruth, but not sure he is comparing Floyd to those guys in ability, but in size. I agree with you that Flotd is much better than those guys, but I agree with datruth about looking st the types of WR's GB has drafted. They don't usually go for the bigger receivers, they go for the guys with quick feet that can get seperation right of the LOS. I think Givens is a perceft fit for this and would be shocked if he isn't on Miami's radar in round two.

I think Floyd gets seperation pretty good for a guy his size. And I also like Givens . . . 2 ACL's but he does fit the "mold" you guys are talking about. I have him in round 3 because of the injury history. I dunno, we'll see.

MiamiDolphin618
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I think Kendal Wright is a better fit for our team if we are going for a WR in the 1st (which I think is unlikely anyways). I also think Wright will be the better pro

Pinkboy
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Philbin would much rather have a Reggie Wayne type of receiver than a Randy Moss or the Plaxico Burress types.

see Brandon Marshall trade.

West coast type of receivers.

So I dont think there will be much interest in the slimmer tight-end types of receivers that are 6- foot 4 or 6-5, he doesn't want primarily alpha-types of receivers. He doesnt want possession guys where you just throw it up there and let them grab it off a defender. That's not going to happen here.

these guys better be great route runners and play with great precision. They must know the field like the back of their hand. and have a knack for recognition in such aspects , as well as going over the middle in some instances. better not be shy

He also must be "slithery" and a YAC beast knowing with instinct how to get around people instinctively (no second guessing like Clyde Gates, but rather a natural instinctive talent for it)

Kendall Wright is a guy Philbin would be very interested in for this offense

The Mark Clayton's, the OJ McDuffie's, and maybe even the Irving Fryar's is what he wants. All highly efficient receivers who were fantastic with routes, great with reads and adjustments on the fly, and the basic fundamentals of the position (and great hands). Not the Brandon Marshall's or Randy Moss's or Plaxico's, they just dont fit. So get all those big tall alpha-receivers outta your head. You're just wasting your time.

Because that's what Philbin's tight ends are for in his offense. Basically his TE's are Glorifed bigger WR's . The pathetic slow-poke Fasano's days are numbered in miami, thank god

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I guess we are all going to act like Jordy Nelson doesn't exist in the Green Bay offense.

Hey we'll see, I think getting rid of Brandon Marshall had more to do with "his ways" more than him being an alpha WR. I can imagine Joe Philbin walking into a situation with Andre Johnson on the team and saying, "meh he doesn't fit the type of offense that I'm trying to implement."

NJjeff
03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Trust me I couldn't agree more that this team needs a QB. But, I just don't see any worth drafting high enough this year. Personally I think Tannehill is average and would need lots of development and Weeden while most pro ready is already in his prime so his NFL life is too short to spend high on. I feel this team is at least 2 real good drafts from being a legit contender. I would rather play to this drafts strengths and get talent than waste a pick on another QB who isn't worth it just because we need one. There are a few QBs that should be out next year and that is where we really should be looking. Think long term not just grab now even though it is less.

I feel with this type of draft we stock up both of our lines for a few years allowing some of the higher priced non contributers to walk. Also adding a good amount of talent to the DBs so maybe we can get some turnovers out of them.

At WR we add two guys who absolutely have talent and if Alshon slides as bad as people are saying he is a steal in the 3rd considering he was at one point talked about in the top half of round 1.

TE is a position that is tough we take a year to see if Clay can pan out as an Hback. Green also adds a litle more talent there.

In a draft like this it really puts us going into 2013 with needs at QB, pass rusher,rb(which has no need to spend on anymore) and possibly TE only. That is closer than we have ever been in many years as a franchise. I don't foresee the super bowl this year so as Philbin says "Build through the draft" get this team ready to be good. When we throw that rooke into the fire next year he better not be getting crushed because our line folds in. Building a line is more valuable than people here give credit. 1960's football was, build for the run, no where did I say that. I clearly am trying to play to the strengths of this draft.

datruth55
03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
I guess we are all going to act like Jordy Nelson doesn't exist in the Green Bay offense.

Hey we'll see, I think getting rid of Brandon Marshall had more to do with "his ways" more than him being an alpha WR. I can imagine Joe Philbin walking into a situation with Andre Johnson on the team and saying, "meh he doesn't fit the type of offense that I'm trying to implement."
Jordy Nelson is tall but he's quick as heck, great short area quickness. As a matter of fact his 10-yard split was faster than that of Greg Jennings.

When I look at Floyd I see a guy that does win a lot of jump balls and he does a real nice job of using his body to shield defenders, gets off of press...yeah he does all that but he also doesn't do a lot with the ball after the catch IN TRAFFIC. Look at his highlight, when someone is on him and he makes the catch he goes to the ground shortly after...where's the YAC? In traffic he's not elusive IMO...can he run away from a defender in the open field...sure can. But there is a difference there. Also, if you watched the combine you'll see his stiff in his route running. Even Michael Irvin was commenting on how that could end up becoming interceptions for the QB because he leaves himself up for the DB to undercut his route.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on Floyd. I know I'm in the minority here cause people think this guys is great...and in the right offense he very well could be but I don't see it in the WCO. San Diego with a vertical offense...I think he could make a living in that.

Krush
03-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Gates already is the speed receiver

PSU Cane
03-24-2012, 08:48 PM
We would all like that draft, but it's not realistic. Most of the guys you have listed will go much higher than you have them.

LANGER72
03-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Too heavy on Oline. We need to draft WR's, QB's and CB's...guys that can make plays to change the game.

With the FA aquistion of Hicks, plus the return of Murtha, we can afford to shop for RT/RG in rounds 5-7.

My draft would have included these players
Fleener TE (best TE in this draft)
Robinson CB (rising fast in the draft)
Brock Osweiler QB (I like his potential 2-3 years from now)
Wylie WR (4.3 speed - percise route runner - I think this kid will surprise)
Mohammed Sanu (tall/great hands - makes plays - think OJ McDuffie)

kvado16
03-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Who's going to throw the ball to Floyd or Jeffery???

The Confessor
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Burfict an UDFA? Seriously? I don't like anything about the kid myself, but I have seen dozens of mocks having him go first round.

NJjeff
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Burfict has dropped off many teams draft boards lately. After his problems and hit in production this year people were putting a second round grade on him. After the combine and interviews most "draft experts" had him in the 4th to 5 th round range. Finally after his pro day they are saying he has been eliminated from a ton of teams draft boards. I feel someone might roll the dice in the 6th or 7th but clearly he is in danger of going undrafted. The mocks that had him early were before all the drama that followed him starting at the combine.

The only guy I think i might have undervalued is Robinson. He really might go in the 1st or 2nd now.

I have also heard the arguement on Alshon going earlier but I think he will be there in the 3rd. People soured on him really quickly and there are a decent amount of wrs available that I think will destroy his value. Hell, alot of drafts have Sanu being around in the 3rd

I would like to say that I looked at a dozen mocks before I put this together and used there values to get where I took mine. Thinking mine are unrealistic would be going against many of the mocks that are available right now but you have the right to disagree and really no one knows the value teams have on a player untill he gets drafted. In the past many guys who were sure fire 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have fallen drastically and many guys thought to be 4th and down have skyrocketed up, you really never know.Obviously, there are guys thats value is drastically different depending on the mock but my value was based on the middle draft position. I never used the lowest or highest value(except for 1st and maybe 2nd round). For undrafted free agents, I made sure that I found the guy undrafted at least two times and ranked in the 5th and beyond at least 4 times giving me half of the mocks projected value as a undrafted player.

KDog13
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I really don't mind not even selecting a QB, Stockpile on some WR's for now/future....If we wind up not doing well this year, we go all in for Barkley next year, just my opinion. I'm not really big on the QB's this year besides Luck/RGIII of course.

NJjeff
03-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Couldn't agree more Kdog. I would really like to stockpile best player available and add as much talent as possible while trying to fill needs and next year if needed throw the farm for Barkley. Or dare I say it have him have a bad yearand let him slip haha. I just don't see the star factor in any of the QBs we might take this year. If we do draft one I will hope and pray I am wrong and he pans out.

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
i think that draft is full of wishful thinking with how long those guys are on the board...unless these guys have major character issues i'm unaware of just about all of them will never sniff the rounds you have them in

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
oh and i'm with truth...floyd fits a san diego o better than he would a wco...but i bet that guys a hell of a player in the pros...i think odds though miami takes him with its top pick...very slim

ChambersWI
03-25-2012, 09:40 PM
yeah not totally fair to compare Floyd to Hardy/Sweed. Sweed I never liked at Texas, and I'm sure if you search the old topics you might be able to find me saying Sweed benefitted from being 6'4 and being 5-6 inches taller than CBs in a very weak Big 12 in terms of defense (you think recently has been bad, when Sweed was in college they were worse). Hardy had serious attitude problems and relied solely on being bigger and stronger than Big 10 CBs, but really struggled to adjust to that not really being an advantage in the NFL. Both of them were also dumber than a box rocks.

Floyd isn't without his weaknesses (on the field or off the field), but he's got a wider skill set than Hardy and Sweed.