PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins will have QB options in the draft, but there are no sure things

BAMAPHIN 22
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
The Dolphins have known for months that top quarterback prospects Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin will be out of reach with the No. 8 pick in the draft. But with free agents Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn now signed elsewhere, the Dolphins will turn back to the draft April 26-28. And there are possibilities out there, particularly in terms of backups who could develop into the long-term starter the team has sought since Dan Marino retired.After Luck and Griffin, this year's group has produced a lot more question marks than last year's. Here is a look at five prospects who figure to get consideration from the Dolphins. RYAN TANNEHILL, Texas A&M One of the first things new Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman did upon arriving at Texas A&M in 2008 was to move Tannehill from quarterback to wide receiver. He played two years there before being moved back, and his 19 career starts leave him woefully short on experience. But Sherman gave Tannehill high marks recently, saying, "He had poise, very confident. Any quarterback in any system has to be confident and believe in himself. A great quarterback in any system makes the system better. (Brett) Favre did that, Aaron Rodgers does that, and Tannehill did that as well." But while Tannehill threw for 3,744 yards and 29 touchdowns vs. 15 interceptions as a senior, scouts wanted badly to see him throw at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine before being sold on him. A broken right foot that sidelined him for both showcase events left many unanswered questions. "He's a big risk," Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline said. "If you draft him and he pans out he could be your starting quarterback for a long time. If he doesn't work out, you could find yourself in the same situation two or three years down the road. The Dolphins are in a tough situation with this (decision)." http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-will-have-qb-options-in-the-2255287.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Tannehill is a reach at 8 that Miami may not have a choice but to bite the bullet on. If he is the guy you wanted all along . . . the guy you said from day 1 would be your target in the draft, the guy Philbin/Sherman are putting their jobs on the line for, you take him at 8 and you don't think twice about it. If he is another one of those guys you aren't sure about, taking him at 8 would be a mistake.

andyahs
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Tannehill may be a reach at #8 but if the offensive minds we have decide that is who they want to run their offense I will be more than happy with the selection.

rent this space
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
There are rumors that he might not last until the Dolphins pick. I think if he's there and you want him, you have to take him at #8

Dmarino110
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
anyone remember brady quinn?

rmatlash
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
ahhhh the ultimate pessimist, anyone remember Dan Marino?

nsbnative
03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Take him if he's there at #8. Maybe draft a dark horse like Russell in the later rounds as well.

TedSlimmJr
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't remember Marino playing wide receiver...

fishbanger
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
If Tebow is worth a first round pick 25 (Denver) and 4th and 6th from (Jets) then Tennehill is worth a #8.

Thats alot of picks for a QB to be a backup and run the wildcat. See how important QB position is to other teams.

Take a look at our schedule next year and see how many first or second round picks the other teams have starting at QB.

floriokie
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
The only one I worry about that picks ahead of Miami is Cleveland. And after Miami the only one I worry about, going down to about #18 or so, is KC....As long as Cleveland doesn't take him (and not really sure they would with just getting McCoy) we could possibly trade down several spots and then draft Tannehill, and also pickup more picks ,.....

Kdawg954
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
The only one I worry about that picks ahead of Miami is Cleveland. And after Miami the only one I worry about, going down to about #18 or so, is KC....As long as Cleveland doesn't take him (and not really sure they would with just getting McCoy) we could possibly trade down several spots and then draft Tannehill, and also pickup more picks ,.....

The big problem I have with this thinking is Miami once again is not valuing the QB position. To take Tannehill at 8, you firmly believe he is the guy that is going to be a franchise QB. I mean you passed on a guy in Matt Flynn who you didn't have to use any picks on, a guy who you know could probably run your offense good enough to experience some success but probably was a bit limited in what he could do for you long term as far as reaching a Super Bowl. If you think Tannehill is the guy that overtime can get you to a Super Bowl, you can't risk trading down and expecting him to be there. I mean Cleveland has a pick in the early 20's . . . what if they trade up? You just don't know.

The last time Miami did something like this was in 2008 with Chad Henne. They could of taken Henne at 32, but passed and he was still there at 57 (or whatever it was). They didn't care if somebody grabbed him in that span and he was the guy they liked once Flacco got off the board. That isn't showing confidence that the guy is a guy that can change your franchise. It's a roll of the dice I don't think Jeff Ireland takes but we'll see. Ireland probably doesn't give 2 ****s what we think . . . he really never shown that he has.

SA_BUTTA
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Here is a nice write up on Tannehill to clear some confusion...

http://nflmocks.com/2012/03/20/ryan-tannehill-franchise-qb-like-it-or-not/

(http://nflmocks.com/2012/03/20/ryan-tannehill-franchise-qb-like-it-or-not/)
Ryan Tannehill is NOT a converted receiver!!!!!!!
This seems to be one of the biggest criticisms I’m hearing from his detractors. And it’s just not just wrong, it’s lazy.
Tannehill has played quarterback his entire life. He started at QB as a junior and senior in Big Spring, TX. He was the #21 dual-threat QB recruit in the nation according to Rivals.com. He went to Texas A&M as a quarterback. As a freshman he was unable to beat out Stephen McGee (now with the Dallas Cowboys) and Jerrod Johnson won the job as a sophomore. In an attempt to get on the field, Tannehill volunteered to play receiver, and he did it well enough to lead the team in receptions over those two seasons.
During that time, he still attended every quarterback meeting and worked out at quarterback in practice. He was listed at #3 on the depth chart as a true freshman and #2 as a sophomore. He did take some snaps as a sophomore.
So if you’re only knock on Tannehill is that he has only been a QB for two years? Just stop it, period.

I’m not saying Tannehill is can’t miss, no quarterback is in this draft outside of Luck. Personally, I think he would have been the second best prospect in last year’s group. The best comparison is Locker because he’s as good an athlete, but Tannehill is more polished. He’s much tougher and a better leader than Gabbert, and he has a better arm than Ponder.
And one more time for posterity. He’s not a converted receiver.
Fans of the Browns and Dolphins should repeat that statement a few times, and get ready for the very real possibility that Ryan Tannehill could be your next QB

Krush
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Pick DE at #8 and get Foles, or Weeden, and maybe cousins in the second

iwastherein72
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM

STOP THIS. STOP it NOW.

We are NOT playing Monopoly here. The game ... the NECESSITY... is to get a QB, NOT to "load up on picks" like they are hotels and green houses.