PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tannehill Scouting Report

BAMAPHIN 22
03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Ryan Tannehill Scouting Report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF54CeamI7k&feature=related

J. David Wannyheimer
03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Gil Brandt is really high on Tannehill, which makes me feel better about him if he's our pick.

fishbanger
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
gil brandt is a good evaluator. maybe it would be wise to hire a retired GM as a consultant on players.

mrhankey81701
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I am very high on Ryan Tannehill as well (not that it matters). I think he is a developmental quarterback and will need a year or two on the bench, however the upside is out of this world. IMO he is a more polished Jake Locker with less starts under his belt. The guy was a top quarterback last year with only 19 career starts at the position, his athleticism is as good as you could want it to be, excellent pocket awareness, has the ability to make NFL caliber throws. Also he is coming out of a pro-style offense.

Dbest
03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClxFYIThbAE&feature=related

3rdandinches
03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I think a trade up may be in our not so distant future.....Minnesota is waiting!

DzakkH13
03-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Sherman should have the inside scoop and be able to answer the most important questions:

Has Tannehill continued to get better as time went on as a starter?

Does Tannehill have the potential to become a franchise QB?

Tannehill has the athletic ability, the smarts, and the arm to become the leader in Philbin's offense.

It will be up to Philbin and Ireland to decide if he is thier guy or of someone else in the draft will be better.

Tannehill will yake soem time to develope. He is still very raw IMO.

greenandwhite80
03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
His arm strength looks kinda weak.And he is not gonna be able to just take off like that in the nfl.Not impressed.

Aqua and Orange
03-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Tannehill would be my pick if I were the Dolphins. The idea I would tell him right from the get-go would be that the majority of this year will be spent learning, with the possibility to start later in the year if the chips fall that way.

Unfortunately I can't shake the feeling the team will pass on him at #8 and go with Quintin Coples, targeting Weeden in the 2nd with a possible trade up. While I like Weeden, this is an EXTREMELY risky move with a high probability of missing out on both as I do not value another QB outside of Tannehill and Weeden being worth a pick in the first two rounds (I do not see Osweiler as a fit in Philbin's system and I don't grade Cousins well).

Think of me when the team passes on Tannehill in favor of pass rushing and goes full court press on Weeden in the top of the 2nd...and pray it works out well!

3rdandinches
03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
His arm strength looks kinda weak.And he is not gonna be able to just take off like that in the nfl.Not impressed.

He's not a finished product, he can improve on arm strength through a training program. Just like A.Rodgers did from when he came out. J.Elway said himself, he saw Rodgers at the Manning camp (his rookie year) and thought he had a bad arm and the very next year John had to ask who he was because the strength in his arm was night and day from the year before.

rev kev
03-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Tannehill would be my pick if I were the Dolphins. The idea I would tell him right from the get-go would be that the majority of this year will be spent learning, with the possibility to start later in the year if the chips fall that way.

Unfortunately I can't shake the feeling the team will pass on him at #8 and go with Quintin Coples, targeting Weeden in the 2nd with a possible trade up. While I like Weeden, this is an EXTREMELY risky move with a high probability of missing out on both as I do not value another QB outside of Tannehill and Weeden being worth a pick in the first two rounds (I do not see Osweiler as a fit in Philbin's system and I don't grade Cousins well).

Think of me when the team passes on Tannehill in favor of pass rushing and goes full court press on Weeden in the top of the 2nd...and pray it works out well!

I always dream of you LOL

Tureo
03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
If Ireland passes on Tanney @ 8 it would restore a small percentage of respect that I once had for him. Pulling a Minnesota or Tennessee and overdrafting a guy because we really need one is a complete fail. Tanney is a 2nd round prospect and Weeden is a 3rd round prospect at best in my opinion. Taking either a few picks after RG3 or Luck has been taken is a horrible move. Neither has nowhere near the talent that those 2 have. I'm also not sure Jeff can afford to wait a year while his QB learns the system. With all that being said i think we overdraft our guy in the 1st.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Greg Cosell's thoughts on Tannehill from earlier today:

"Tannehill better prospect than Ponder. NIce feel in pocket. Good pocket mobility re: lack of experience. Willing to make stick throws"

"Tannehill needs work with progession reading but can be coached. Must learn to validate safeties after snap. Threw well outside the numbers."

"Tannehill threw w/anticipation. NFL throws: Outs, seams, hooks. Poised w/downfield focus. May have best pocket command + mobility in class."

His stock is rising fast, at least in the media.

ohall
03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
The more I watch this guy, I get a bad feeling.

BassFin
03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Weeden will be gone before we pick in round 2. I'd rather take Kirk Cousins in the 3rd or better yet, wait til the 4th or 5th and take Russell Wilson.

finfan54
03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
he is Fred Astair back there in the pocket (good feet).

daniel3
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I like this pick even more. Loved last part, if he can't be our #1 QB, make him #1 WR!

sinPHIN
03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
he has a good arm, and can expand the play. very raw, and lofts ball too much. im still ok with picking him

Penthos
03-23-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClxFYIThbAE&feature=related

After watching this 10 minute highlight reel, I'm sold. He looked like a man against boys, cetainly not like a "project" QB. I'm not saying he starts in 2012. But he doesn't look like he NEEDS 2 years of bench polishing to me.

He's got a great arm (whoever said it looked weak is nuts). He's accurate, with room for improvement. Has good pocket awareness. Really quick feet and good vision when running with the ball. Considering how raw he is and how little he played the position, this guy's got some serious upside...

Tannehill 2012.

Jeep
03-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Its not his arm I'm worried about.. Based on the video highlights I have seen.. The guy locks onto his targets and not once did I see him look off... Just another Chad Henne in my opinion...

hooshoops
03-24-2012, 03:30 PM
the more i've dug into tannehill the more comfortable i am about him and a top 10 pick...kids quite the athlete keeps plays alive with his legs steps up nicely when he feels wide pressure and the arms pretty darn solid...he's definitely not a weak armed qb...throws really well on the move...i'm also thinking that this kid the more i watch is gonna be ready to play earlier than i thought...

i'd take him over weeden on the upside the athleticism the ability to extend plays with his legs the tools...

J. David Wannyheimer
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
the more i've dug into tannehill the more comfortable i am about him and a top 10 pick...kids quite the athlete keeps plays alive with his legs steps up nicely when he feels wide pressure and the arms pretty darn solid...he's definitely not a weak armed qb...throws really well on the move...i'm also thinking that this kid the more i watch is gonna be ready to play earlier than i thought... i'd take him over weeden on the upside the athleticism the ability to extend plays with his legs the tools... The fact that you've found something to be even mildly optimistic about here just gives me the feeling that we'll find a way to screw this up, too.

hooshoops
03-24-2012, 04:05 PM
his deep ball accuracy needs work...but i tell ya what kid throws some outstanding balls outside the #s in tight windows...i see lots of evidence of him fitting balls in tight windows...and on some of his picks his wrs haven't done him any favors either stopping on the route or not competing for the ball when its thrown too far inside...looks to me like he decides where he's going with the football presnap sometimes and i think his eyes can give away his intentions at times but the more i watch the more comfortable i am with a 1st round pick on him...

i do see some pick 6's in his future however and i'm bothered that he couldn't finish the games off when they had late leads...

athletically though quite impressed...makes weeden look like a statue in that regard...

DolfanDuBbZ~
03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
After watching this 10 minute highlight reel, I'm sold. He looked like a man against boys, cetainly not like a "project" QB. I'm not saying he starts in 2012. But he doesn't look like he NEEDS 2 years of bench polishing to me.

He's got a great arm (whoever said it looked weak is nuts). He's accurate, with room for improvement. Has good pocket awareness. Really quick feet and good vision when running with the ball. Considering how raw he is and how little he played the position, this guy's got some serious upside...

Tannehill 2012.

Funny thing about highlight reels, is they don't show how he was unable to produce late in games after leading at half. All this reminds me of the Patricia White pick. You people being sold on YOUTUBE highlight film, and the WILDPAT was borne out of that social media. Too bad once he got on the field, NFL professionals have a way of making you look 'raw' and average.

OK, OKST and MIZZOU are tapes you should be watching. Not some cherry picked highlights against the likes of NorthWestern.

Penthos
03-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Funny thing about highlight reels, is they don't show how he was unable to produce late in games after leading at half. All this reminds me of the Patricia White pick. You people being sold on YOUTUBE highlight film, and the WILDPAT was borne out of that social media. Too bad once he got on the field, NFL professionals have a way of making you look 'raw' and average.

OK, OKST and MIZZOU are tapes you should be watching. Not some cherry picked highlights against the likes of NorthWestern.

What do you mean, You People?

Dolfan4life!
03-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Weeden will be gone before we pick in round 2. I'd rather take Kirk Cousins in the 3rd or better yet, wait til the 4th or 5th and take Russell Wilson.I've seen this and other post mentioning Russell Wilson in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds, and I just scratch my head. I think he might make it as a QB in Canada, but why on earth would anybody expect that he can play the position in the NFL?

jc4005
03-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Tannehill 2012.

This video also provides a good glimpse as to what our offense will look like next year. The longer I watched it, the more I thought no way Matt Moore can make those throws on his feet like that.

The Confessor
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I've already posted this over and over...but once again.

Please watch the entire thing. Best if just muted. Let your eyes do it not your ears as these announcers suck.

Please note he makes almost as many completions to LSU as he does to his own players.

IF they touch this kid before the 3rd round, Ireland will be fired. (.) PERIOD.

This kid is a better WR than he is QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDEzCf3C7Y

A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDEzCf3C7Y)nd against a very very bad OSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BATjEpA6nA&feature=related

T (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BATjEpA6nA&feature=related)his kid is NOT a good QB.

Penntastic
03-24-2012, 07:26 PM
i agree... its going to be a big mistake to reach for this kid at #8.

finfan54
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
They say what he has are intagibles. High character, leader, poise. Those are the things that are needed at next level to learn and then implement what you already have. I think if we get him, his career will be much better. Sherman/Philbin will teach the quick release and read of the defense.

The Confessor
03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
They say what he has are intagibles. High character, leader, poise. Those are the things that are needed at next level to learn and then implement what you already have. I think if we get him, his career will be much better. Sherman/Philbin will teach the quick release and read of the defense.

Sherman already had him. He put him #3 on the depth chart and eventually asked him to play receiver..... He was #3 behind the incredible QB's Stephen McGee and that INCREDIBLE QB, Jerrod Johnson.

Desperation sucks if you wear it around your neck my friend :up:

Miamibyrd
03-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Im still so so on this kid. As mentioned earlier in this post he makes his mind up were he's going with the ball before his release. As a DB's stand point Tannehills eye's and head tells the story of where the ball is going. There's no look off motion and thats scary. Taking him at 8 is a big risk.

MarshallFin1
03-24-2012, 11:37 PM
The more I watch this guy, I get a bad feeling.

chad henne v2.0, i hope we dodge this bullet.

HybridPHIN 23
03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Still..... tannehill is a better risk to take than anyone else available at # 8, IMO..........I dont think any blue chip players will be left. I hope you really like Coples or Rielly if your so against taking a shot at a franchise QB. Give us your alternative, instead of just saying "no thats a bad idea."

All signs point to us using a high pick on a QB this year. So again, do share you approach if Tannehill isnt the guy. Or would you wait til next year for Landry Jones or whomever ?
:confused:

Fin Fan in Cali
03-24-2012, 11:43 PM
If we passed on Flynn, is Tannehill better than Flynn? If not then I think you take the best player available or trade down for additional picks and take a look at Weeden or Cousins.

Awsi Dooger
03-24-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised there are so many definitive opinions. This kid looks like a pure guess to me. It's like when you stand on the tee with a two-way miss going and are shocked if the ball heads down the middle. That's how I'd feel if I projected Tannehill either very high or very low, that it was mostly luck if I ended up being correct.

If forced to pick, I'd keep in mind there are more ways to create an under than an over.

MarshallFin1
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Still..... tannehill is a better risk to take than anyone else available at # 8, IMO..........I dont think any blue chip players will be left. I hope you really like Coples or Rielly if your so against taking a shot at a franchise QB. Give us your alternative, instead of just saying "no thats a bad idea."

Honestly, you dont know who will drop down to #8, trent richardson might drop down, u dont know. Look at mark ingram, he dropped down all the way to 27 or so in the first round last year. Ingram was highly rated, a sure top 10 pick. Claiborne might drop to us, u just dont know. I would consider trading down to the cowboys for more picks at #16 or so if no one drops to us at 8.

trojanma
03-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Chad Henne 2.0? Have you seen Chad run? Clear difference in athleticism.

To me the fact that they got Garrard suggests they are looking at a bigger project like Tanneyhill not a more polished product like Weeden.

HybridPHIN 23
03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Honestly, you dont know who will drop down to #8, trent richardson might drop down, u dont know. Look at mark ingram, he dropped down all the way to 27 or so in the first round last year. Ingram was highly rated, a sure top 10 pick. Claiborne might drop to us, u just dont know. I would consider trading down to the cowboys for more picks at #16 or so if no one drops to us at 8.

I personally think your wrong there bud. Tell me who is going to go ahead of the two you mentioned, causing them to fall. Either way...I'm certain Richardson isnt a value pick for us even if he's there @ 8. Ingram is a poor example..... was never a sure top 10 pick.... and alot of good he did for the Saints !!!! (sarcasm) We're a pass first team in a league where one great RB won't do much for you. And I'm positive Claiborne won't be there. So you can forget those two ever becoming Dolphins. Again...... Who would you realistically take over a potential franchise QB ?

mrbunglez
03-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Sherman already had him. He put him #3 on the depth chart and eventually asked him to play receiver..... He was #3 behind the incredible QB's Stephen McGee and that INCREDIBLE QB, Jerrod Johnson.

Sherman never asked the kid to play WR. Tannehill volunteered to play WR so he can be on the field, if that doesn't scream team player I don't know what does. I'm all for Tannehill @ 8 hell trade back a couple times pick up an extra 2nd and still get Tannehill at say 15 and I'm gungho!

dlockz
03-25-2012, 12:38 AM

He could have went to other schools but went to a and m as a walk on. He redshirted year one. He then competed with an incumbent starter in mcgee that had thrown only two interceptions the previous season and Jerrod johnson. Tannehill was such a good athlete they got him on field anyway as a receiver and he played very well. McGhee got hurt and Johnson stepped up and played well in fact setting passing yard and total offense records for the school. Mchee went on to be drafted in 4th round and Johnson and Tannehill competed for job and Johnson won out and set those records as Tannehill led the team in receiving. During the 2010 season Tannehill took the starting job and played well from that point on. You act like McGhee and johnson were scrub college qb's and he should have came in day one and took the starting job. The kid is a great athlete that played well everywhere they put him on field. Mchee was drafted and johnson is on an nfl roster so both guys that were ahead of him were at least good enough to get looks in the NFL.
Matt Moore started his UCLA career as the third stringer to Cory Paus and Drew Olson. hell at one point Tom Brady was 7th string at michigan and was not a starter until he was a junior. Aaron rodgers didnt even get a scholorship offer out of high school and was only given a chance to walk on at illinois.

Just saying that sitting behind two pretty good college qb's and being good enough to still be a pretty damn good receiver is nothing to be ashamed of and doesnt reflect badly at all on Tannehill.

MarshallFin1
03-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I personally think your wrong there bud. Tell me who is going to go ahead of the two you mentioned, causing them to fall. Either way...I'm certain Richardson isnt a value pick for us even if he's there @ 8. Ingram is a poor example..... was never a sure top 10 pick.... and alot of good he did for the Saints !!!! (sarcasm) We're a pass first team in a league where one great RB won't do much for you. And I'm positive Claiborne won't be there. So you can forget those two ever becoming Dolphins. Again...... Who would you realistically take over a potential franchise QB ?

lots of top picks that can make clainborne drops to us, u got blackmon, decastro, matt kalil, dwayne allen top tight end out of clemson, kirkpatrick, floyd, ingram and more.... Im not very knowledgeble of this draft class but its a talented draft class.

The Confessor
03-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Just saying that sitting behind two pretty good college qb's and being good enough to still be a pretty damn good receiver is nothing to be ashamed of and doesnt reflect badly at all on Tannehill.

Sure it reflects badly on him in that he wasn't good enough to beat out Steven McGhee and Jarrod Johnson? Really? It shows that indeed he is a better WR than QB, which has been my argument all along.

Why in the hell would you use a top 10 pick on a QB who's not even a good QB but a pretty solid WR?????
Did you even go watch the clips I supplied? This guy is not a very good QB. I don't care how gifted of an Athlete he is, and there's no doubt he is. he is just not a very good QB.

History will tell. This will be Tedd Ginn all over again. Remember, the WR that wasn't a very good WR but a great kick returner that could develop as a WR. I still remember the ridiculous arguments in here how you draft for talent and then let the coaches coach him up.........

DudeleBroski
03-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Sure it reflects badly on him in that he wasn't good enough to beat out Steven McGhee and Jarrod Johnson? Really? It shows that indeed he is a better WR than QB, which has been my argument all along.Why in the hell would you use a top 10 pick on a QB who's not even a good QB but a pretty solid WR?????Did you even go watch the clips I supplied? This guy is not a very good QB. I don't care how gifted of an Athlete he is, and there's no doubt he is. he is just not a very good QB.History will tell. This will be Tedd Ginn all over again. Remember, the WR that wasn't a very good WR but a great kick returner that could develop as a WR. I still remember the ridiculous arguments in here how you draft for talent and then let the coaches coach him up.........He is a better qb than he is a wr,that's not debatable. Its just that he's athletic enough to be a good wr as well. That's a plus. The dude is mobile and were running a wco. You can't expect a freshman to come in and just take the starting job from two NFL caliber qbs. Cam Newton didn't beat out tebow at Florida and now you can't even compare the two as NFL passers.

The Confessor
03-25-2012, 07:05 AM
He is a better qb than he is a wr,that's not debatable. Its just that he's athletic enough to be a good wr as well. That's a plus. The dude is mobile and were running a wco. You can't expect a freshman to come in and just take the starting job from two NFL caliber qbs. Cam Newton didn't beat out tebow at Florida and now you can't even compare the two as NFL passers.

Completely disagree. I think its VERY debatable. He is not a very good QB. (.) PERIOD.

Dolfan4life!
03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Im still so so on this kid. As mentioned earlier in this post he makes his mind up were he's going with the ball before his release. As a DB's stand point Tannehills eye's and head tells the story of where the ball is going. There's no look off motion and thats scary. Taking him at 8 is a big risk.
This made me laugh. I'm sure it's not what you meant to say...There's not too many QBs out there that decide where to go with the ball after they release it.

mrbunglez
03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
You can scream and moan until your face turns blue about how he's not worth the pick @ 8, and say he's not a very good QB, but I'll hold my reservations until the draft. If Philbin and Sherman think he's worthy at that spot I'll take there word for it instead of some arm chair football scout on here telling me he's not a good QB.

dlockz
03-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Sure it reflects badly on him in that he wasn't good enough to beat out Steven McGhee and Jarrod Johnson? Really? It shows that indeed he is a better WR than QB, which has been my argument all along.

Why in the hell would you use a top 10 pick on a QB who's not even a good QB but a pretty solid WR?????
Did you even go watch the clips I supplied? This guy is not a very good QB. I don't care how gifted of an Athlete he is, and there's no doubt he is. he is just not a very good QB.

History will tell. This will be Tedd Ginn all over again. Remember, the WR that wasn't a very good WR but a great kick returner that could develop as a WR. I still remember the ridiculous arguments in here how you draft for talent and then let the coaches coach him up.........

You act like Tannehill is the only top qb prospect that couldnt start as a freshman. Cam Newton had to transfer and only was a starter for one season.Matt Moores had to transfer and had lesser qb's than Johnson and McGhee ahead of him. eli Manning couldnt win the starting job over players that never sniffed the pros. Peyton manning was the third string qb behind Helton andJetty Colquit but they got injured so he played. Tannehill had two good college qb's ahead of him and was such a good athlete he still was able to start at wr, thats not a refelection that he was not a good qb. I have watched him play and he is easily the third best propect in this draft and already knows Sherman's offense. His numbers are not inflated by playing in an air raid spread that had guys like Zac Robinson looking good.

mrbunglez
03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
You act like Tannehill is the only top qb prospect that couldnt start as a freshman. Cam Newton had to transfer and only was a starter for one season.Matt Moores had to transfer and had lesser qb's than Johnson and McGhee ahead of him. eli Manning couldnt win the starting job over players that never sniffed the pros. Peyton manning was the third string qb behind Helton andJetty Colquit but they got injured so he played. Tannehill had two good college qb's ahead of him and was such a good athlete he still was able to start at wr, thats not a refelection that he was not a good qb. I have watched him play and he is easily the third best propect in this draft and already knows Sherman's offense. His numbers are not inflated by playing in an air raid spread that had guys like Zac Robinson looking good.

I sure do miss the "thanks" button........

The Confessor
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM

He is easily the third best QB in the draft because you have watched him play?

First off, you will have to point me to exactly which games you have watched him play. I saw too many A&M games this last season. This kid is NOT a good QB. I don't care how you slice or dice it.
He makes TERRIBLE decisions.
He misses his targets as often as he hits them.
He has a bad habit of throwing the ball into coverage
He has a MUCH worse habit of staring at his receiver before the ball is even centered.

I've already posted 3 games in here. Go watch them. 2 of them are against very very moderate Defenses at best in Oklahoma State and the Longhorns.

Could the kid get better? Sure. Is there a great sign he will? I don't believe so.

Now then, IF Sherman really believes he is "The Guy" well obviously, Sherman has forgotten more about talent than I will ever ever know, and nobody in the current NFL evaluating talent would know better than Sherman.

IF we take him at 8, there is good reason.......just don't be surprised or disappointed if we don't.
Hell, dont be surprised or disappointed if he is still there at our 2nd pick...and we still don't take him. :up:

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
no thanks on russell wilson and claibornes not getting to #8 so forget about it

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
did i say earlier i was comfortable with tannehill in the top 10 yesterday??? well strike that...today changed my mind...i've yet to see evidence of him throwing a deep ball outside the #s over the correct shoulder and completing the pass...i kid you not...he's got a nasty habit of throwing the go route too far inside and underthrown or out of bounds...quite scattershot deep ball accuracy...he misses a lot of easy throws i think he should make...his athleticism and feet stand out to me but his vertical accuracy bothers me a lot...love the athlete don't love the actual qb...i will say though that on a lot of those deep balls he had jeff fuller running the routes and fuller showed at the senior bowl and combine he lacks long speed and ability to separate so the window for tannehill wasn't great...but at least on an inside technique db throw it over the outside shoulder where only your man has a play on the ball...

the more i look the more i see a lot of chad henne tendencies which is something that came to me on my live looks during games when i saw a & m play...much better feet and athlete than henne but probably worse deep ball accuracy and placement than hennes which was bad to begin with and a lot of eagle eyeing his targets...one thing tannehill showed me that henne never did is he can feel pressure and knows hot to make quick movements with his feet to avoid it...

now that i'm done looking at tannehill i think top 10's rich...due to the athlete he is however and banking on upside i think late round 1 early round 2 is the better play...but qbs always get overdrafted its just the supply and demand of the most important position in football...if someone has evidence though of this kid placing a straight vertical go route out in front and over the outside shoulder please point me to it...cause i haven't seen it

unfortunately i don't think there's another top 10 qb worthy of the pick in this draft...

The Confessor
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM
did i say earlier i was comfortable with tannehill in the top 10 yesterday??? well strike that...today changed my mind...i've yet to see evidence of him throwing a deep ball outside the #s over the correct shoulder and completing the pass...i kid you not...he's got a nasty habit of throwing the go route too far inside and underthrown or out of bounds...quite scattershot deep ball accuracy...he misses a lot of easy throws i think he should make...his athleticism and feet stand out to me but his vertical accuracy bothers me a lot...love the athlete don't love the actual qb...i will say though that on a lot of those deep balls he had jeff fuller running the routes and fuller showed at the senior bowl and combine he lacks long speed and ability to separate so the window for tannehill wasn't great...but at least on an inside technique db throw it over the outside shoulder where only your man has a play on the ball...

the more i look the more i see a lot of chad henne tendencies which is something that came to me on my live looks during games when i saw a & m play...much better feet and athlete than henne but probably worse deep ball accuracy and placement than hennes which was bad to begin with and a lot of eagle eyeing his targets...one thing tannehill showed me that henne never did is he can feel pressure and knows hot to make quick movements with his feet to avoid it...

now that i'm done looking at tannehill i think top 10's rich...due to the athlete he is however and banking on upside i think late round 1 early round 2 is the better play...but qbs always get overdrafted its just the supply and demand of the most important position in football...if someone has evidence though of this kid placing a straight vertical go route out in front and over the outside shoulder please point me to it...cause i haven't seen it

unfortunately i don't think there's another top 10 qb worthy of the pick in this draft...

Biggest thing that stands out to me..over, and over and over again is his predetermined receiver. Watching several games of his, both during this last Fall and again in the last month, I knew which receiver he was targeting, often before the ball left the Center's hands.
Looking at his stat line, I am honestly very surprised he didn't have several more interceptions that he did, of course, he was not playing stellar defenses as the Big12 was very very down defensively this last year.

I keep saying it, don't be surprised that if he is still there at our 2nd round pick, we still don't end up with him. You have to know that Sherman is already very aware of the things you have pointed out. Very very aware.

It kills me each and every year. You have all these Media talking heads suggesting a kid like this is a top 10 LOCK. 95% of them have probably never seen the kid play.

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Biggest thing that stands out to me..over, and over and over again is his predetermined receiver. Watching several games of his, both during this last Fall and again in the last month, I knew which receiver he was targeting, often before the ball left the Center's hands.
Looking at his stat line, I am honestly very surprised he didn't have several more interceptions that he did, of course, he was not playing stellar defenses as the Big12 was very very down defensively this last year.

I keep saying it, don't be surprised that if he is still there at our 2nd round pick, we still don't end up with him. You have to know that Sherman is already very aware of the things you have pointed out. Very very aware.

It kills me each and every year. You have all these Media talking heads suggesting a kid like this is a top 10 LOCK. 95% of them have probably never seen the kid play.

if he gets to #42 given the athleticism and upside and the demand on the position i'll eat my shorts...

dlockz
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
if he gets to #42 given the athleticism and upside and the demand on the position i'll eat my shorts...

he wont make it out of first round and weeden wont get drafted in first round.

hooshoops
03-25-2012, 09:32 PM
he wont make it out of first round and weeden wont get drafted in first round.

agreed on both...i think weeden people are gonna be shocked around here about how long he's on the board...shocked...but one thing weeden does have that tannehill does not is pretty dang terrific vertical accuracy and placement...

dlockz
03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
agreed on both...i think weeden people are gonna be shocked around here about how long he's on the board...shocked...but one thing weeden does have that tannehill does not is pretty dang terrific vertical accuracy and placement...

Although its in basically a one read offense

Themajster
03-26-2012, 12:47 AM
We need to stop being so dramatic about the pick number that we take him at. You don't go into this situation saying "is he worthy of the 8th overall pick?" Or, "we can't take him that close to RG3 and Luck because they're SO much better!" The question you ask yourselves, is can this guy become the future of our franchise? And then ask yourself how long that would take and what would we need to build around him? We NEED a QB and we can't keep putting it off. Some people say he's not "worth" number 8 and others think he could be gone before we even get to him with the 8th pick. So let's suck it up and remember that we need a franchise QB. Every head coach in the NFL lives and dies with their QB. If Philbin thinks that's their guy, then he's going to put his job on the line for it. But if he's not our guy, take someone else! Can we all stop with the supposed "value" of the 8th overall pick? You could boom or bust with any pick number in any round.

TheMageGandalf
03-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Can we all stop with the supposed "value" of the 8th overall pick? You could boom or bust with any pick number in any round.

I agree, just remember that if they scout him and they don't see a franchise QB, do you still want them to pull the trigger just because we need a QB or would you rather have them go BPA?

dlockz
03-26-2012, 01:27 AM
I agree, just remember that if they scout him and they don't see a franchise QB, do you still want them to pull the trigger just because we need a QB or would you rather have them go BPA?

If they see him as a good starting qb then draft him but bpa is not good unless its a need and we have plenty of needs.

Valandui
03-26-2012, 01:53 AM
We need to stop being so dramatic about the pick number that we take him at. You don't go into this situation saying "is he worthy of the 8th overall pick?" Or, "we can't take him that close to RG3 and Luck because they're SO much better!" The question you ask yourselves, is can this guy become the future of our franchise? And then ask yourself how long that would take and what would we need to build around him? We NEED a QB and we can't keep putting it off. Some people say he's not "worth" number 8 and others think he could be gone before we even get to him with the 8th pick. So let's suck it up and remember that we need a franchise QB. Every head coach in the NFL lives and dies with their QB. If Philbin thinks that's their guy, then he's going to put his job on the line for it. But if he's not our guy, take someone else! Can we all stop with the supposed "value" of the 8th overall pick? You could boom or bust with any pick number in any round.
I still don't think Griffin is better by any stretch of the imagination.