PDA

View Full Version : Casserly talks about Cleveland and #4 pick

dolfan91
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Charlie Casserly from NFLN, talked about the #4 pick tonight. He said that it depends on Cleveland wanting to run or pass that will decide the pick. If they choose RUN: the pick will be RB-Richardson and if they choose PASS: the pick will be WR-Blackmon. He was emphatic about Cleveland NOT selecting Tannehill at #4!!! He sounded very convincing in his assessment, almost as if he knew something. I like Casserly and think he is very astute in his draft evaluations, team needs and potential selections from teams. For Miami's sake I hope he is right, that would pretty much leave Tannehill available for Miami at #8; unless of course someone trades up to #7 to take him.

BillsFanInPeace
03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
As it should be a Second Round Prospect shout NOT go in the top 10, just because of Hype.

Tannehill was a second round prospect at the start of the process.

He Must have excelled in his workouts and combine. Wait he has been hurt. What is driving the HYPE.

dolfan91
03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
As it should be a Second Round Prospect shout NOT go in the top 10, just because of Hype.

He Must have excelled in his workouts and combine. Wait he has been hurt. What is driving the HYPE.I agree with you, but having Gabbert, Ponder and Locker all go in the top 12 picks in 2011 changed the scoop of drafting a potential franchise QB moving forward. I think Tannehill is better than all 3 of them and a perfect fit for the WCO offense. I'd understand Miami selecting him at #8. My personal preference is DeCastro, but I'm just a fan hoping for the best player.

BillsFanInPeace
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I agree with you, but having Gabbert, Ponder and Locker all go in the top 12 picks in 2011 changed the scoop of drafting a potential franchise QB moving forward. I think Tannehill is better than all 3 of them and a perfect fit for the WCO offense. I'd understand Miami selecting him at #8. My personal preference is DeCastro, but I'm just a fan hoping for the best player.

Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

is going to be MUCH better in the long run for your team than it would be reaching by a round for a QB, just because of Media Hype.

matt11390
03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Tannehill is not a 2nd round value and hasn't been. At the lowest he was a late 1.

Yessir
03-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Jeff Ireland isn't reaching for Tannehill. Ireland sticks
to his draft board no matter what. If he passed on Mallet
In the 3rd round, he ain't drafting Tannenhill with pick no.8..

massi20
03-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Tannehill is a waste at 8. I hope we draft either Floyd, Blackmon, or trade down and take that TE from Stanford. I like Cousins in the second round. I really feel he's going to be a really good QB.

BillsFanInPeace
03-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Tannehill is not a 2nd round value and hasn't been. At the lowest he was a late 1.

When the Process Started, before Declarations, he was a late 2nd to mid 2nd.

Landry Jones, Matt Barkley do not declare and the MEDIA is left scrambling for a 3rd QB.

It happened last year, it is happening this year.

Gabbert had no business going in the 1st based on tape.
Ponder had not business going in the 1st based on tape.

So my question remains, what has he done this draft season at workouts or combine to warrent moving up in the draft other than the Media Needing a third QB to have the draft Drama.

There are 2 1st round QBs in thid draft and they are going 1 and 2

Stefins
03-23-2012, 09:53 PM
I have a gut feeling that they will wait till round 2 or 3 to get the QB. But, I dont want Cousins before the 3rd round.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Look at Cleveland's RB situation right now -- they don't have one.

Strong indication they might take Richardson?

mrhankey81701
03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Charlie Casserly one of the worst drafters in NFL history for the Houston Texans? Don't listen to a word he says

baddsnapp4
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
we have two qbs now, do we really think anyone after rg3 is worth a pick before 3rd round , draft qb next year and get floyd 1st, fleener 2nd, rest of the picks on defense,,,,just my thoughts

BillsFanInPeace
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
we have two qbs now, do we really think anyone after rg3 is worth a pick before 3rd round , draft qb next year and get floyd 1st, fleener 2nd, rest of the picks on defense,,,,just my thoughts

that will help you team more than reaching for Tannehill

13marino13
03-23-2012, 10:09 PM

He Must have excelled in his workouts and combine. Wait he has been hurt. What is driving the HYPE.

Supply and demand is what dictates the draft slots

BillsFanInPeace
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Supply and demand is what dictates the draft slots

And that type of thinking is what has teams missing on their draft and over reaching.

13marino13
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
And that type of thinking is what has teams missing on their draft and over reaching.

Right you are, that's how a lot of teams react

2413fanphins
03-23-2012, 10:21 PM
An argument could easily be made for reiff being a reach in the top of the first... hes no bettef prospect than bulaga who went late first and yet mock after mock you see reiff in the top ten or twelve...
well.never.know what irelands big board looks like... jax and minny reach.for their qbs, and we pick the safest draft pick... and it nets is two more wins a year!!!???? Hardly a big difference.

BigScuingili
03-23-2012, 10:24 PM

Landry Jones, Matt Barkley do not declare and the MEDIA is left scrambling for a 3rd QB.

So my question remains, what has he done this draft season at workouts or combine to warrent moving up in the draft other than the Media Needing a third QB to have the draft Drama.

I agree.

Phins28
03-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

is going to be MUCH better in the long run for your team than it would be reaching by a round for a QB, just because of Media Hype.

You don't draft a ****ing offensive lineman with a top 10 pick, it will destroy a franchise.

da1nonlydre16
03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Tannehill is my pick at 8, Wr is a need but we can draft reciever in the 2nd and with one of the 3rd round picks, TE isnt as much of as a need as you guys make it out to be. Egnew, Peterson, Green are all options in the 4th and we have Clay. Fasano is solid. Tannehill has tremendous potential and is already better than Gabbert, Ponder and Locker. He can sit and learn this year and come step up next year. Tannehill is the pick.

Miamifin23
03-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Richardson is going 4... Book it... The wr position is much deeper than rb.. They can turn around and take a Kendall wright or possibly Michael Floyd depending on how it goes. Miami needs to not panic and stay at 8 and take the bpa... There's not a position on this team that I feel can't be upgraded other than center and lt. There's many options at 8 and I think they'll put into consideration what positions with good value with be available in the 2nd and 3rd rds.

rickd13
03-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

That's the same logic that the Dolphins used when they took Long and Henne instead of taking Matt Ryan and now the Dolphins are still searching for their franchise QB. Cousins sucks just like Henne sucks,

Dolfan4life34
03-24-2012, 12:42 AM
I think tannehill ha the ability tO be that franchise quarterback and you gotta take the risk and draft him. He has everything you want in a franchise signal caller except extensive playing experience some look at that as a bad thing others think he hasn't scratched the surface of his abilities yet. I think he's worth the shot especially if his former coach believes he has the ability.

Tiko377
03-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I think march 29 is tannehils pro day which will rise or shatter his stock IMO

I think the browns will get weeden or cousins IMO and have one of them compete with McCoy but I could see them going Richardson at 4 and a wr with there next first rounder

PhinsTD
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
The best move for Miami is to hope for a trade down and take whomever is there between Tannehill and Weeden. Both are better prospects than Locker who went top-10 last year, and world's better than Ponder.

I vehemently disagree that the team is better off with DeCastro/Cousins than Tannehill/Givens or Fleener. You can find Guards.

Bartowboy
03-24-2012, 01:02 AM
This is my thoughts on things regarding the draft.
Cleveland will NOT draft a qb at 8. They need to add another WR and are in a big need of a RB.
Miami must take Tannehill if he's there. People keep saying draft a QB next year, but Miami will somehow win enough to put us out of the Barkley sweepstakes. Draft Tannehill and let him sit, and let him takeover in 2013. Add weapons this year so they can grow together.
This franchise must draft for the future and it starts at the top.
Tannehill is the guy.

PeterNorth
03-24-2012, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't have a huge problem with Tannehill at 8, but I think I'd rather they take someone like Melvin Ingram or Michael Floyd there and then go for either Weeden or Cousins in round 2, even if they have to trade up a few picks (or with a second #2 if they package the extra 3 from Marshall with a future pick).

sinPHIN
03-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

is going to be MUCH better in the long run for your team than it would be reaching by a round for a QB, just because of Media Hype.'
be honest you want us to take cousins bc he is at best a back up

dlockz
03-24-2012, 02:33 AM
There is not a better qb for us to draft right now than Tanneyhill. he knows the offense and will have less of an adjustment than any of the other prospects. people act like Weeden can start day one. going from air raid spread to WCO is not a small step.

cljh19
03-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Tannehill is not going TOP 10! If we want Tannehill its a better route to use our 2nd round pick for him. Even if it means moving up. The hype is there and I understand the potential but his history and experience puts him late 1st early 2nd.

Most teams reached for their QBs last year. I believe QBs will be quiet early besides the top 2.

I also believe Cleveland is after WR or RB. I prefer they go RB so more WR's drop.

dlockz
03-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Tannehill is not going TOP 10! If we want Tannehill its a better route to use our 2nd round pick for him. Even if it means moving up. The hype is there and I understand the potential but his history and experience puts him late 1st early 2nd.

Most teams reached for their QBs last year. I believe QBs will be quiet early besides the top 2.

I also believe Cleveland is after WR or RB. I prefer they go RB so more WR's drop.

Tanneyhill will not be there in second round. There is no other qb that will be as ready for this offense as him. I do like Osweiler, not sure about this offense and Foles
Every qb drafted early last year seems to be a solid pick so far. Our strategy of ignoring qb really wasnt that successful last year

MadDog 88
03-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Weeden in the second is a much better option then Tannehill at 8. Kuechly at 8 then Weeden in the second would be the best 1-2 pick we have seen in years.

fishbanger
03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Most QBs get drafted higher then they should. there is not enough good ones to go around. you cant compare QB value in this draft with a WR. There are lots of starting WRs in this draft.

Last year Cinci took Dalton at pick 35. Before the draft last year he was a big reach at 35. He was like a cousins worth a 3rd round pick. Did Cinci reach at the time? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.

dlockz
03-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Weeden in the second is a much better option then Tannehill at 8. Kuechly at 8 then Weeden in the second would be the best 1-2 pick we have seen in years.

Just dont get your fascination with drafting a qb in the second round that will be 29 by week 5 and played in a supersimplified read offense and think he can come in day one and be a good WCO qb. Tanneyhill has ran the offense so not as much learning curve. Weeden in second is a bigger risk and reach than Tanneyhill in first. weeden will not start next year so at min will be 30 if he earns job. Most qb's start declining around 34 or so and at best if he is good you get six years out of him. How many 37 year old starters last year were top qb's yea not one.

cljh19
03-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Tanneyhill will not be there in second round. There is no other qb that will be as ready for this offense as him. I do like Osweiler, not sure about this offense and Foles
Every qb drafted early last year seems to be a solid pick so far. Our strategy of ignoring qb really wasnt that successful last year

Who could we have taken that would have given us hope? Matt Moore saved us from complete embarrassment.

hemidemon
03-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

It's not media hype in this case, though normally I would agree with you. It's the shortage of good QBs that's pushing these players up the draft board.

dlockz
03-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Who could we have taken that would have given us hope? Matt Moore saved us from complete embarrassment.

I guess fin fans have got used to losing so much that they dont think 6-10 is complete embarrassment. They could have drafted a damn qb, they could have had a long term plan. They were basically lucky that Moore played well. Hopefully this changes this year and we draft Tanneyhill

cljh19
03-24-2012, 03:17 AM
Most QBs get drafted higher then they should. there is not enough good ones to go around. you cant compare QB value in this draft with a WR. There are lots of starting WRs in this draft.

Last year Cinci took Dalton at pick 35. Before the draft last year he was a big reach at 35. He was like a cousins worth a 3rd round pick. Did Cinci reach at the time? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.

Cinci also got hella value in WR AJ Green! Top 10 pick. Dalton statistically isnt much different then Moore.

dlockz
03-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Cinci also got hella value in WR AJ Green! Top 10 pick. Dalton statistically isnt much different then Moore.

Yea but difference is he was a rookie and Moore after four years in the league has bounced around three teams and still hasnt locked down a starting gig. dalton is undisputed starter going into season while Moore is battling garrard.

cljh19
03-24-2012, 03:30 AM
I guess fin fans have got used to losing so much that they dont think 6-10 is complete embarrassment. They could have drafted a damn qb, they could have had a long term plan. They were basically lucky that Moore played well. Hopefully this changes this year and we draft Tanneyhill

I hope things change too. Your prob right about 6-10 lmao, but it coulda been worse...like 1-15. By the end of the year people forgot about our 0-7 start. Why? Cuz we were playing some good ball. Is Moore the answer? Probaly not but it shows the potential of this team the better the QB plays. Garrard is gonna make things interesting. Statistically the best QB we have had on this roster since probaly Culpeppr...yes I know how that turned out. Eh gotta take chances right?

Im down with drafting Tannehill, but not at 8. Would be great to come away with Blackmon/Floyd and Tannehill. We got the ammo to manuever.

dlockz
03-24-2012, 03:34 AM
I hope things change too. Your prob right about 6-10 lmao, but it coulda been worse...like 1-15. By the end of the year people forgot about our 0-7 start. Why? Cuz we were playing some good ball. Is Moore the answer? Probaly not but it shows the potential of this team the better the QB plays. Garrard is gonna make things interesting. Statistically the best QB we have had on this roster since probaly Culpeppr...yes I know how that turned out. Eh gotta take chances right?

Im down with drafting Tannehill, but not at 8. Would be great to come away with Blackmon/Floyd and Tannehill. We got the ammo to manuever.

problem is we hurt all our qbs trading a pro bowl receiver

dlockz
03-24-2012, 03:34 AM

i wish we went 1-15 luck would be ours

cljh19
03-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Yea but difference is he was a rookie and Moore after four years in the league has bounced around three teams and still hasnt locked down a starting gig. dalton is undisputed starter going into season while Moore is battling garrard.

Younger is better...but I dont care if your 21 or 34, please just be a beast at QB and take my Dolphins to the Super Bowl!!!! Just one year atleast.......for now. Age only factors into draft. Unless your really sure.

cljh19
03-24-2012, 03:39 AM
i wish we went 1-15 luck would be ours

Considering its March and I know what a QB like Luck can do....me too!

During the months of September through February I want the Dolphins to win each week.

Regardless of our record.

MadDog 88
03-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Just dont get your fascination with drafting a qb in the second round that will be 29 by week 5 and played in a supersimplified read offense and think he can come in day one and be a good WCO qb. Tanneyhill has ran the offense so not as much learning curve. Weeden in second is a bigger risk and reach than Tanneyhill in first. weeden will not start next year so at min will be 30 if he earns job. Most qb's start declining around 34 or so and at best if he is good you get six years out of him. How many 37 year old starters last year were top qb's yea not one.Weeden has exactly what you need in a WCO. Good decision maker, fast release and accuracy. He is more ready to start then anyone not named Luck. If he is 22, the Redskins are picking him.

Fin Thirteen
03-24-2012, 06:15 AM

I agree #8 is high. But if Miami goes for him I don't think it'll be the reach you believe it is. Why?

2 reasons.

1) insider knowledge. We offered Flynn backup money because we believed he was not a franchise QB. That was based on Philbins knowledge. If we take Tannehill at 8, it'll be because with Shermans knowledge, we believe he is a franchise QB of the near future. We're the only team with knowledge of the two big QB opportunities open to the masses. If we bite on Tannehill, it's because we known him better.

2) Rookie pay scale. Ponder, Locker and Dalton were all much bigger reaches last year because they all got paid a helluva lot more than Tannehill will. Thebrisk is lower this and subsequent years than it was.

jlfin
03-24-2012, 07:49 AM

He's actually better than Landry Jones. When the college football season started, Landry Jones was hyped up. By the end of the yr his stock really tok a tumble.

3rdandinches
03-24-2012, 08:02 AM
No more screwing around, trade up with Minnesota and finally get a QB we can believe in. There's no such a thing as reaching IF he becomes our franchise QB.

MarSly
03-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Ireland may pass on Tannehill at 8 but I think he's foolish to do so..David Garrard is not the answer for long term..You have to get the best QB available at 8 and its Tannehill.Matt Moore will probably be resigned during season probably as a long term backup but you need the guy for the future now.Weeden is too old and not the guy.Cousins maybe but I would grab Tannehill in round one and one or two recievers aka Stephen Hill or someone else.Also look for that pass rusher and tackle in later rounds..

Keeno1
03-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

I am not a huge Tannehill fan, but Cousins is a bigger project and less accurate. They tried this sort of thing in '08 with an OL in 1st and a QB in the 2nd and it didn't get them anywhere. I am a big DeCastro fan, but if they draft a guard at 8 when there are desperate needs for a pass rush and offensive playmakers, I am going to throw my TV out the window.

Mogwai
03-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm not sold the Browns will take Tannehill. In fact, I don't think they will. Colt is not a complete corpse and they can take a flyer on a later QB. I can see them taking a more assured, ready superstar talent like Trent or Blackmon. But then I'm also not sure if Ireland would pull the trigger on Tannehill at 8. Imagine the outcry of passing on Tannehill for Reiff.

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd go tannehill at 8 if he's there, than package a 2nd and one of our 3rds to move up in the first... hopefully around 20 or so.. and nab fleener..

TPD1479
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm all in for Barkley in 2013. Screw Tannehill

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
although looking at the draft trade value chart... our 2nd and one of our 3rds fall just short of moving to 20th...

we could trade our 2nd, and both 3rds and move to 17 though... just for reference... not sure I like fleener enough to give up three picks for him.. but I would wheel and deal on our 2nd, a 3rd if a deal could be struck...

the more I think of it though, 2 picks in the top 17, probably makes up for losing a 3rd rounder essentially because we would still have 2 picks in the first three rounds...
still some players to be had in the fourth that could address the OL, and fill out the 5-6 with guys who need some work like oliver vernon, brandon washington type kids.

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm all in for Barkley in 2013. Screw Tannehill

i'd be all over that as well.. totally agree with you.. most of my posts regarding tannehill are posted under the assumption that our FO will be taking tannehill.

fleener on the other hand, is a guy I do really want to move up for...

darefugee
03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
You don't draft a ****ing offensive lineman with a top 10 pick, it will destroy a franchise.

Like us drafting Jake Long did?

Mogwai
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Trading up to take a TE in the 1st round is not very Parcellsian. I think you're expecting too much and something too different from Ireland.

Phins28
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm not sold the Browns will take Tannehill. In fact, I don't think they will. Colt is not a complete corpse and they can take a flyer on a later QB. I can see them taking a more assured, ready superstar talent like Trent or Blackmon. But then I'm also not sure if Ireland would pull the trigger on Tannehill at 8. Imagine the outcry of passing on Tannehill for Reiff.

Mark my words, Ireland will pass on Tannehill for Reiff.

Phins28
03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Like us drafting Jake Long did?

7-9 in 2009, 7-9 in 2010, 6-10 in 2011, 2012 with no franchise QB, no playmakers in the passing game

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 01:34 PM
7-9 in 2009, 7-9 in 2010, 6-10 in 2011, 2012 with no franchise QB, no playmakers in the passing game

here comes the well ya, but matt ryan hasn't won a playoff game yet... he's only been to them comments

Ben Had
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM

It all depends on our OC and his thoughts.

maralieus
03-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Charlie Casserly from NFLN, talked about the #4 pick tonight. He said that it depends on Cleveland wanting to run or pass that will decide the pick. If they choose RUN: the pick will be RB-Richardson and if they choose PASS: the pick will be WR-Blackmon. He was emphatic about Cleveland NOT selecting Tannehill at #4!!! He sounded very convincing in his assessment, almost as if he knew something. I like Casserly and think he is very astute in his draft evaluations, team needs and potential selections from teams. For Miami's sake I hope he is right, that would pretty much leave Tannehill available for Miami at #8; unless of course someone trades up to #7 to take him.
I really dont see Cleveland taking Tannehill at #4, they have enough holes that they will likely take the best player available, I dont think they see it as they are a QB away from a super bowl run. They desperately need WRs and RBs, along with every other offensive position. I see Blackmon or Richardson. They will likely try to give McCoy a fair shake at it before they decide to move on from him.

maralieus
03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I actually hope they do draft tannehill and some of those great other players fall to us. I would love to see us get Blackmon, decastro, or reiff. I think this team also has too many needs to take a QB that early if its a big reach. Now if by some crazy stroke of miracle, RG3 fell then yes, but that wont happen. I dont like reaching for a QB, atleast not that far. Either take BPA, or trade down and pick up an extra pick.

Krush
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Media put him in the mix after Barkley went back to school

DolfanDuBbZ~
03-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Tannehill is too raw to be selected 8th. People keep comparing him to Ponder and company from last year. Well most of those QB's taken last year started more than a season and a half.

I guess the arguing on this is redundant at this point. I can only hope Ireland sticks to his guns and doesn't reach on a QB due to fickle fanbase pressure. Watching the OK, OKST and MIZZOU games, and you will see ALOT of holes in Tannehill's game. And you people thinking he can come in and after 1 year holding a clipboard, step in to the AFC East and be productive is basically a pipe dream.

Doctor Phibes
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I think people are going to have to get used to QBs being taken earlier than expected. It's simply down to everyone realizing the importance of the position

Tannehill obviously doesn't compare to the best QBs in the NFL whereas Blackmon, for example, might compare to the best WRs in the NFL. But QBs are so much more important than WRs that Tannehill's value may be greater than Blackmon's. We've already seen at Miami that adding one of the best WRs in the NFL made little or no difference to the success of the offense.

There are several red flags for me about Tannehill but he's one of the few players in this draft I'd consider taking at #8

tay0365
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

I think this may happen if Tannehill is taken before Miami get's their chance. Whomever Miami draft at QB will not start this year, but Cousins has impressed, and like Tannehill, could develop into a good QB for the WCO.

I do also believe Tannehill is on top of their QB list though.

finfan54
03-24-2012, 05:24 PM
been saying it for about a week now.

finfan54
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM

But Cleveland will take Tannehill at 22 and if not there, then they will definitely take him at 35.

Here is what I think will happen if we truly want Tannehill all the way. Ireland will look at the landscape when discussing FA and trades, and such before the draft. Alot of teams kinda get a feeling where certain teams will draft in order to nail their guy at a certain spot. If Ireland sees he has the chance to trade down to say Dallas at 14 knowing Tannehill will be there from what he is hearing (Seattle wont draft Tannehill now that they have taken Flynn for all that money,see how that works?)and pick up Tannehill at 14 and another draft pick in 2nd round.

then he gets his pass rusher and RT/RG. He takes care of the biggest need positions IMO, otherwise, BPA

Roman529
03-24-2012, 05:36 PM
If Sherman feels Tannehill is the guy we need at QB, I have no issues taking him at #8. If someone comes in and takes him before us, I would trade down and try to get Weeden in Round Two. If we miss out on both, than just get the BPA's and stick with Moore and Garrard this year.

hooshoops
03-24-2012, 06:14 PM
clevelands not going qb at #4

retarmyfinfan
03-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Sherman will know if Tannenhill is worth the pickup

state06
03-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Ok lets run that out.

8th - Decastro
2nd - Cousins

If Tannehill is a reach in the top ten and is graded as a late 1, early 2, which i do not have a hard time agreeing with, drafting Cousins in the 2nd would be as much of a reach. At least with Tannehill, he has the potential to develop into a franchise QB. With Sherman and Philbin having their say, if they want him, there is no reaching, you get him. If the FO doesn't believe Tannehill is Franchise material, you skip on QB and draft one early next year.

I dont see Cousins progressing further than Henne ever did here and would not touch him earlier than rd 3. Although being a big 10 senior captian QB, I would bet on Cousins being high on our board if Parcells was here...

Pinkboy
03-25-2012, 12:36 AM
I like Casserly and think he is very astute in his draft evaluations,

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kinzua
03-25-2012, 12:59 AM

As bad as you think Ireland is, I think that's a smart move on his part. Tannehill is a 2nd round talent only being hyped by the media and draftniks because there are only 2 QBs in this draft who are worthy of the first round: Luck and Griffin. This reminds me of the hype for Claussen a few years ago.

The Top Ten is not the place to pick a project.

insom187
03-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Tannehill's pro day is the 28th. We'll know whether or not we'll draft him #8 after he shows his skills, or lack thereof.

believe305
03-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Im not sure if the Dolphins could deal with a backlash that may come if they pass on Tannehill. I for one do believe he is a reach at 8 but due to supply and demand, not to mention the media sensationalism element, they would be FRIED by the fan base!!! They need something to get the crowd somewhat relaxed.... that right there would be the start. Just my opinion.

believe305
03-25-2012, 10:00 AM
This is feeling like the Brady Quinn saga all over again.

72PhinFan
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
As bad as you think Ireland is, I think that's a smart move on his part. Tannehill is a 2nd round talent only being hyped by the media and draftniks because there are only 2 QBs in this draft who are worthy of the first round: Luck and Griffin. This reminds me of the hype for Claussen a few years ago.

The Top Ten is not the place to pick a project.

LOL! Bill's fans advising not to take Tannehill. They see their team rising from the cellar and don't want anything that might change that happen. Don't worry Buffalo fans. Even if Dolphins do get Tannehil, the Jets will take your place at the bottom of the conference.

LarryFinFan
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM

He was a second round pick when Barkley and Jones were still in the draft...since they decided to stay in school, he's moved up. QB's are valued differently then any other position now...

LarryFinFan
03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Im not sure if the Dolphins could deal with a backlash that may come if they pass on Tannehill. I for one do believe he is a reach at 8 but due to supply and demand, not to mention the media sensationalism element, they would be FRIED by the fan base!!! They need something to get the crowd somewhat relaxed.... that right there would be the start. Just my opinion.

Well, if on Sherman's advice, they skip on Tannehill (naturally assuming Cleveland doesn't take him) then I don't have a problem with that, just as I didn't have a problem passing on Quinn...

believe305
03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Good point but you know not everyone thinks with reason! HAHAHAHA! :thanks:

Kinzua
03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
LOL! Bill's fans advising not to take Tannehill. They see their team rising from the cellar and don't want anything that might change that happen. Don't worry Buffalo fans. Even if Dolphins do get Tannehil, the Jets will take your place at the bottom of the conference.

I didn't come here to talk smack.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him a better prospect. He will be the very same QB whether he's taken at #8 or at #55. Tannehill simply doesn't have the quality resume to be a first rounder. He isn't as talented as Luck or Griffin, and he sure as heck doesn't have much experience. In other words, he's a project, and taking a project in the Top Ten, heck, anywhere in the first round IMO, is stupid.

The Fins are welcome to Tannehill at #8 because it means there'll be another, much better player available when the Bills pick at #10. However, taking Tannehill means that the Fins will pass on better talent to reach for need. Believe me, as a Bills fan, I saw quite enough of that kind of stupidity under Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron to last me forever: in 2009, this stupid pair took Aaron Maybin at #11 when Brian Orapko was still on the board because the Bills needed a DE. Guess what? Until they inked Mario Williams, the Bills still needed a DE plus they didn't have a Pro Bowl LBer, either! That's what drafting for need over talent gets you.

If the Fins take Tannehill over a player like DeCastro, they'll likely be sorry every year when DeCastro makes the Pro Bowl while Tannehill holds a clipboard on somebody else's sideline ala Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen et al.

Kinzua
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
He was a second round pick when Barkley and Jones were still in the draft...since they decided to stay in school, he's moved up. QB's are valued differently then any other position now...

This is pure BS. They are NOT valued differently by anybody except the media. Whether Tannehill was the fifth best QB or the third best, he's simply not a good enough prospect to be taken in the first round.

As for last year, I'll make the prediction that in five years, only 1 of the 2011 draft first rounders will be considered a franchise QB. The others, if not outright busts, may be mediocre starters (ala Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez). The QBs like Dalton, Mallett, and Yates who were taken later, will probably have Kyle Orton-type careers at best.

The fact is, most drafts only yield 1 good franchise-type QB and maybe another decent starting QB, and some drafts yield none (2002 and 2007). Truly elite QBs are even rarer. Only 2 drafts since the merger have yielded more than 1 elite QB: 1983 and 2004.

Harry_Bagpipe
03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I didn't come here to talk smack.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him a better prospect. He will be the very same QB whether he's taken at #8 or at #55. Tannehill simply doesn't have the quality resume to be a first rounder. He isn't as talented as Luck or Griffin, and he sure as heck doesn't have much experience. In other words, he's a project, and taking a project in the Top Ten, heck, anywhere in the first round IMO, is stupid.

The Fins are welcome to Tannehill at #8 because it means there'll be another, much better player available when the Bills pick at #10. However, taking Tannehill means that the Fins will pass on better talent to reach for need. Believe me, as a Bills fan, I saw quite enough of that kind of stupidity under Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron to last me forever: in 2009, this stupid pair took Aaron Maybin at #11 when Brian Orapko was still on the board because the Bills needed a DE. Guess what? Until they inked Mario Williams, the Bills still needed a DE plus they didn't have a Pro Bowl LBer, either! That's what drafting for need over talent gets you.

If the Fins take Tannehill over a player like DeCastro, they'll likely be sorry every year when DeCastro makes the Pro Bowl while Tannehill holds a clipboard on somebody else's sideline ala Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen et al.

I agree with you up until the DeCastro part. Its also why ive done a complete 180 on my assessment of the Pouncey pick. Up until recently ive actually used the Pouncey pick in terms of defending Ireland. I look at it now as a negative. Is Pouncey a good player? Yes, hes a very good player. One of the best at his position. But thats not the point. Its the value of having a top center compared to having a top player at any other position.

Another poster(i think it was thewalrus) put it best in saying that the difference between having the best center in the league compared to having the 15th best center is minimal compared to say having the best WR, QB, DE, OLB, CB or FS compared to having the 15th best player at said position. I would say that besides special teams, the center position might be the least impactful position on the field. We could draft Ray Guy incarnate but that still doesnt make it a good selection at the top of round 1 and i would say a center has much closer the impact of a punter than it does to a QB. Like i said. Theres a world of a difference in having the best qb in the league compared to the 15th best. Thats having an Aaron Rodgers over a Andy Dalton.
And thats why i dont like the Pouncey pick now. It was safe and no matter how good Pouncey is, hes still a center and wasting a top half first round pick on him was foolish IMO.

Back to the point in how that correlates with DeCastro. Yes, i think DeCastro is a monster. I think hes a surefire pro-bowler. But I dont want to waste a number 8 pick on a position that is one of the least impactful on the field. Its not like using #8 pick on a surefire probowl OLB, DE, Left Tackle, QB or CB. Theres a big difference between having the best guard in the game and having Revis, Patrick Willis, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Megatron etc..... So while i agree Tannehill would be a reach at 8 you cant compare a qbs value with that of an interior lineman. The risk/reward is too great. If the reward is getting a probowl qb than you have to take that chance if your people think that potential is there.

If hes a bust so be it. But playing it safe and drafting "surething" interior lineman with high first round picks is a recipe for failure in the long run. No matter how good they become.

This is not me saying I endorse a Tannehill selection. Personally, Im hoping we get an elite talent at a premium postion at 8 and get Weeden in the 2nd. Buts thats me. What im saying is that even if the FO thinks that Tannehill is a reach but still think that he has a certain amount of potential into becoming that franchise QB, than you factor that into the equation in determining whether you should select him at 8.

Scott7789
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Tannehill is a waste at 8. I hope we draft either Floyd, Blackmon, or trade down and take that TE from Stanford. I like Cousins in the second round. I really feel he's going to be a really good QB.

My thoughts exactly.

fishbanger
03-25-2012, 12:54 PM
floyd is a good pick. We will still be below 500 team with him. Get a QB that can play for the next 10 years. Get off the 1 playoff game multi-year drought.

kvado16
03-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree with you, but having Gabbert, Ponder and Locker all go in the top 12 picks in 2011 changed the scoop of drafting a potential franchise QB moving forward. I think Tannehill is better than all 3 of them and a perfect fit for the WCO offense. I'd understand Miami selecting him at #8. My personal preference is DeCastro, but I'm just a fan hoping for the best player. I think Tannehill is better than the other 2 but not than Jake Locker.

templarwd
03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
And Browns fans have no one to blame but themselves. They HAD HAD to get Hillis on Madden. Ahh the stupidity of taunting the football gods. As both the JESTs anf Broncos will soon feel.

Semedi
03-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Desperate teams, desperate fans, in desperate times. Taking any of the QBs that will be available at #8 would be such a wasted draft pick.