PDA

View Full Version : plz explain why so many of you are high on cousins

sinPHIN
03-24-2012, 02:06 AM
i got it that he is a good leader and all that, but have you guys watched him play talented teams? he always struggles against good teams. and most of the time he will throw up big yard stats but then he cant get into the endzone. the only good team he played well against was wisc. he just isnt impressive, and he doesnt get into the endzone much. plz tell me why you guys are high on him.

we need a guy that is not only going to put us in the red zone, but in the end zone. something we havent had in a very long time. cousins is not that.
season seaon stats against decent to good teams:

OPP

RESULT

CMP

ATT

YDS

CMP%

LNG

TD

INT

RAT

ATT

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

@Notre Dame (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)

L 31-13 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312600087)

1 0

@Nebraska (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/158/nebraska-cornhuskers)

L 24-3 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313020158)

@Georgia (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/61/georgia-bulldogs)

W 33-30 (3OT) (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=320020061)

@Ohio State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes)

W 10-7 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312740194)

Wishfishin
03-24-2012, 05:52 AM
I'd venture to say most of those touting him have seen the highlight film but never saw him play in a game. I agree with you, he's not that impressive at this point. Does he have potential? Not enough to warrant a draft pick on him.

2413fanphins
03-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I live in the midwest and have seen enough of cousins... itll be a tough pill to swallow if he lands in miami

SF Dolphin Fan
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
I think it's the intangibles, the physical skills and how he might fit the Dolphins offense. Not sure he had a lot of talent around him at Michigan State, but he does look like a guy who could fit in a WC offense and take control of an offense. I think he's a guy that needs talent around him to succeed, which I guess you can say about most qb's in the league.

TheWalrus
03-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been watching Cousins since they were bringing him in occasionally to substitute for Brian Hoyer when Hoyer was a senior. At the time he was their big recruit and held a lot of promise.

Suffice to say that, at least in my view, the guy just doesn't have it. He's actually a lot like John Beck in that he impresses you with his work ethic, character and smarts off the field but when he gets between the lines can look completely lost at times.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I've been watching Cousins since they were bringing him in occasionally to substitute for Brian Hoyer when Hoyer was a senior. At the time he was their big recruit and held a lot of promise.

Suffice to say that, at least in my view, the guy just doesn't have it. He's actually a lot like John Beck in that he impresses you with his work ethic, character and smarts off the field but when he gets between the lines can look completely lost at times.How much would you attribute that to coaching and the talent around him? In other words, is he a guy who could blossom under the tutelage of Joe Philibin?

TheWalrus
03-24-2012, 03:15 PM
How much would you attribute that to coaching and the talent around him? In other words, is he a guy who could blossom under the tutelage of Joe Philibin?

Philbin is a good coach would probably make anyone better, but whether a guy "blossoms" to me is totally dependent on whether he has the talent. Greatness has to come from the player. A coach can't give it to him.

I would agree that Cousins neither had great talent around him nor great coaching at Michigan State, but that's no excuse for throwing into triple coverage or panicking at bad moments as he was prone to do. Guys with mediocre physical ability can't afford to make decisions like that. They can't afford for their accuracy to wander because they get freaked out under pressure.

Cousins is a developmental guy only to me. A late rounder who will probably be taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

thefranchisedef
03-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Cousins wins big games though. I dont know how he does it but he does. He reminds me of mark sanchez tho.. No thanks! Weeden and tannehill are the only qbs I want. I like cousins leadership but he doesnt have the talent to boot

hooshoops
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
getting overdrafted if you ask me...not interested in another best case average nfl qb

datruth55
03-24-2012, 05:06 PM
getting overdrafted if you ask me...not interested in another best case average nfl qb
and that's a valid point. It could be more desparation for a QB than Cousins being any good. There are some things I like about him, accurate, good release, doesn't stare down his receivers and does a good job of looking the safeties off. I think physically he's limited and he doesn't always make good decisions but I think the latter can be coached up. His ceiling IMO, at the very best, is a Matt Schaub.

I also look at it like this...throw out Luck and RGIII cause they're going 1 and 2. The next 3 QBs IMO are Tannehill, Weeden and Cousins. In order of readiness it's Weeden, Cousins and Tannehill. In order of potential and ceiling its Tannehill, Weeden and Cousins. Tannehill is really our best chance at a long term solution...doesn't mean he will be but I think he has the best chance of the 3.

The OP pointed out that one of Cousins' worst games was the Georgia game but in that same game he had a late 4th quarter drive to tie the game up and send it into overtime that was Brady-esq. It was an incredibly impressive drive.

hooshoops
03-24-2012, 06:04 PM
scary thing is cousins looks like someone to me should we miss on tannehill who would be right up irelands alley...in round 2 or 3

DKphin
03-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I have to agree. One hears all the accolades he got coming out of HS and figure he will be a top guy in the NFL draft. But then you look at him on tape and ask,"What is the big deal".

datruth55
03-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I have to agree. One hears all the accolades he got coming out of HS and figure he will be a top guy in the NFL draft. But then you look at him on tape and ask,"What is the big deal".
Who are you talking about? Cousins was a 2 or 3 star recruit in the same class with Nick Foles who was a 5 star recruit and Foles transferred to Arizona cause he got beat out by Cousins. I don't remember Cousins getting any accolades in high school.

dahlmarino
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
As a fan of Sparty, I'm still waiting for Cousins to answer some questions. Particularly, his poise under pressure and his accuracy in the clutch.

The B10 championship game is a great example of the second issue. With the game on the line, down by 3, he was suddenly throwing high on every pass, forcing his WR's to jump, lose momentum, change direction and contort unnecessarily. He had been very accurate while they were playing with the lead, and suddenly that was gone. He did a much better job against Georgia in the bowl game, and led a very impressive drive at the end, but that was also an underachieving team he was up against. Plus, if it weren't for their bad FG kicker he would have given that game away in the first OT when he threw a bad pick on the second play.

As for the poise under pressure, just look at his passes from his junior/senior season against Alabama, Nebraska, and anyone else who was able to get consistent pressure. He panics too easily when he feels pressure and lets defenses know early that if they rattle him he will throw bad passes.

While these are both coachable faults and his overall positives outweigh the negatives, I still wouldn't go higher than the 3rd round with him. That's just my 2 cents.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-24-2012, 10:38 PM
and that's a valid point. It could be more desparation for a QB than Cousins being any good. There are some things I like about him, accurate, good release, doesn't stare down his receivers and does a good job of looking the safeties off. I think physically he's limited and he doesn't always make good decisions but I think the latter can be coached up. His ceiling IMO, at the very best, is a Matt Schaub.

I also look at it like this...throw out Luck and RGIII cause they're going 1 and 2. The next 3 QBs IMO are Tannehill, Weeden and Cousins. In order of readiness it's Weeden, Cousins and Tannehill. In order of potential and ceiling its Tannehill, Weeden and Cousins. Tannehill is really our best chance at a long term solution...doesn't mean he will be but I think he has the best chance of the 3.

The OP pointed out that one of Cousins' worst games was the Georgia game but in that same game he had a late 4th quarter drive to tie the game up and send it into overtime that was Brady-esq. It was an incredibly impressive drive.Great post. I agree also that Tannehill is the best best and the most likely to become a franchise quarterback or close to it. I do like Cousins, though. I think he did a lot considering the talent around him. Not sure if he'll ever be more than a game manager, but I do like his skills.

sinPHIN
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
cousins is still getting love on here. yuck. if we pick him up ill be sick

PSU Cane
03-25-2012, 03:55 PM
It's because Cousins has those things you look for in a QB that you can't teach....work ethic, drive, determination, leadership, etc. On top of that he has an arm strong enough to play in the NFL, has good fundamentals when he doesn't throw off his back foot, and played in a Pro-Style set in college. Does he make some bad choices and needs to make better pre-snap reads? Sure. But that can be taught.

state06
03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
scary thing is cousins looks like someone to me should we miss on tannehill who would be right up irelands alley...in round 2 or 3

exactly. I said it in an earlier thread. Senior big 10 QB, leader of his team. Fits Parcells' mold of QBs perfectly. scares me

DKphin
03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Who are you talking about? Cousins was a 2 or 3 star recruit in the same class with Nick Foles who was a 5 star recruit and Foles transferred to Arizona cause he got beat out by Cousins. I don't remember Cousins getting any accolades in high school.I read that while surfing the web. Upon further review, I now see I was wrong. Another reason you should not believe everything you read on the internet. I plead ignorance when it comes to college recruiting, but I stand by my statement that I was underwhelmed when I saw him on tape.

Ed Norton
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
The 2010 game @ Iowa is some good comedy