PDA

View Full Version : Tannenhill at #8 is insane, just stop.

MarshallFin1
03-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I have seen the kid play, he has good fundamentals but makes those bad decisions that reminds of you chad henne. Although he seems alot more talented than henne and can probably get better, i still believe taking this qb at 8 would be the biggest mistake in dolphins history. If our plans are to take this kid we need to trade down and get more picks. Im sure the cowboys would love to move to #8 and possibly have a chance at claiborne from lsu, a stud at cb. Tannenhill is a round 2 prospect, not a #1. People are gettin caught up in the hype as per usual.

Best case scenario miami trades down with the cowboys, we switch #1's and cowboys give us a 2nd in return for it. Now we have a bunch of picks to work with in a draft loaded with talent. my first few picks in this draft would be

1.floyd/jeffrey whoever is there Wide Receiver
2.dwayne allen Tight end
2.Weeden/tannenhill/cousins QB

from there on i dont really know cause i dont know this draft class all too well and dont know where ireland wants to after he addresses the key needs. Gettin floyd and allen and you give matt moore some serious weapons to work with. I dont know how many of you have seen this tight end out of clemson dwayne allen but he is something else. A huge upgrade over fasano. Our offense took a bit with marshall gone, we need to go hard in the draft on offfense. The defense, we need to look for a safety to replace bell. I think we are pretty set at CB and unless claiborne drops to us we should leave the position alone. I saw alot progress from sean smith last year and think he can get even better.

Wildbill3
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
make sure you spare us the drama when we trade down and tannehill gets drafted before we pick.

MarshallFin1
03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
make sure you spare us the drama when we trade down and tannehill gets drafted before we pick.

i feel bad for whatever team does that.

sinPHIN
03-25-2012, 01:06 AM
so you want cousins or weeden? dude come on.. read my post on cousins and imo weeden is ok for a 2nd but he will not be the answer. not saying tannehill will be, but tannehill has more to offer. would i rather have someone else at 8 and get tannehill later yes, but thats not an option. if the qb you want is there gotta get him

AceofSpades
03-25-2012, 11:49 AM
It always irritates me when people project drafts based on trading down. Every single year, I write the same thing - the fact that our team would be served well by trading down does not mean that anyone is willing to move up.

One of the problems that the Dolphins have had these last few years moving down in the first round is that they have been using early draft picks. Teams aren't as eager to move up into the early part of the first round as they are to move up from, say, 28th to 21st or from an early 2nd rounder back into the end of the first round because it costs more to trade for an early 1st rounder than to move up later in the first round. If you wonder why we can't do what the Patriots have done in many recent drafts, consider that in addition to having a much better front office than we do, they are always picking in the 20s, so the cost of trading for their picks isn't as high as it would be for ours. Moreover, once you get into the teens or 20s in a draft, you can see which players are falling and decide whether you want to make a move to grab them.

I don't mean to take shots at people here, because that's not constructive. But turning to the Tannehill conversation, the Dolphins probably don't have much choice but to draft him at #8 if they want him. That is the cost of our front office free agency stumbles. How often have the Dolphins been able to trade down from their 1st round spot in recent years? Letting the Chargers take Ryan Matthews while we took Jared Odrick is the only occasion that comes to mind.

I think everyone agrees that Tannehill is not worth a top 10 pick. But he can become a player who is more than worth that status. While he was a 2nd rounder at the end of the college football season, that is no longer true. I will be shocked if he doesn't go at some point in the top 20 picks now, maybe even the top 15. There are two major points here: first, every year the better quarterbacks in the draft are overdrafted, because quarterback is an incredibly important position. Second, Tannehill has an extremely high ceiling and could end up being a franchise quarterback. His main flaws - needs improvement on his accuracy, doesn't anticipate routes as well as he could so throws late - are both things that he can improve with more experience. You can't teach size, athletic ability, a good enough arm to throw the deep ball, the ability to throw accurately on the run, and the ability and willingness to run it himself.

That's my two cents. But if that's not enough for you, take it from people who know better than I do, and like Tannehill "more than Ponder, Locker, Freeman, and Flacco when they were coming out" in the link below. By the way, all of those guys went in the top 20. Tannehill will, too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827bd053/Is-Ryan-Tannehill-worth-a-top-10-pick?module=HP11_hot_topics

HybridPHIN 23
03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Let's forget the trading down pipe dream...... who is the best pick @ #8 ? Is coples an elite passrusher? Can R. Rielly replace jake long? Or has everything been pointing to us taking a potential franchise qb?

SF Dolphin Fan
03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
It always irritates me when people project drafts based on trading down. Every single year, I write the same thing - the fact that our team would be served well by trading down does not mean that anyone is willing to move up.

One of the problems that the Dolphins have had these last few years moving down in the first round is that they have been using early draft picks. Teams aren't as eager to move up into the early part of the first round as they are to move up from, say, 28th to 21st or from an early 2nd rounder back into the end of the first round because it costs more to trade for an early 1st rounder than to move up later in the first round. If you wonder why we can't do what the Patriots have done in many recent drafts, consider that in addition to having a much better front office than we do, they are always picking in the 20s, so the cost of trading for their picks isn't as high as it would be for ours. Moreover, once you get into the teens or 20s in a draft, you can see which players are falling and decide whether you want to make a move to grab them.

I don't mean to take shots at people here, because that's not constructive. But turning to the Tannehill conversation, the Dolphins probably don't have much choice but to draft him at #8 if they want him. That is the cost of our front office free agency stumbles. How often have the Dolphins been able to trade down from their 1st round spot in recent years? Letting the Chargers take Ryan Matthews while we took Jared Odrick is the only occasion that comes to mind.

I think everyone agrees that Tannehill is not worth a top 10 pick. But he can become a player who is more than worth that status. While he was a 2nd rounder at the end of the college football season, that is no longer true. I will be shocked if he doesn't go at some point in the top 20 picks now, maybe even the top 15. There are two major points here: first, every year the better quarterbacks in the draft are overdrafted, because quarterback is an incredibly important position. Second, Tannehill has an extremely high ceiling and could end up being a franchise quarterback. His main flaws - needs improvement on his accuracy, doesn't anticipate routes as well as he could so throws late - are both things that he can improve with more experience. You can't teach size, athletic ability, a good enough arm to throw the deep ball, the ability to throw accurately on the run, and the ability and willingness to run it himself.

That's my two cents. But if that's not enough for you, take it from people who know better than I do, and like Tannehill "more than Ponder, Locker, Freeman, and Flacco when they were coming out" in the link below. By the way, all of those guys went in the top 20. Tannehill will, too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827bd053/Is-Ryan-Tannehill-worth-a-top-10-pick?module=HP11_hot_topics Well said. I think Miami has to take Tannehill if he's there at #8 simply because he has the best chance of the remaining quarterbacks to carry a franchise. I like him better than many of the guys picked high last year as well including Locker and Gabbert. Sure, it would be nice to trade down and get more picks, but if the Dolphins want him and he's there at #8 there's no way the team trades down. If he's not there, trading down and getting Fleener or Wright and then Cousins in round 2 could be a nice option.

finfan54
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Only one thing here Ace that your forgetting.

Thats the rookie salary cap. Alot of teams would not move up based on what they would have to pay someone once they got them. Now that obstacle is basically gone, and with half the league salary cap strapped, this is a big deal now. They can seriously upgrade a spot (on paper) and not have to spend as much. The only way we are trading down though IMO is if Richardson and/or Blackmon drop to 8. There may be a certain DE that a team covets where they know another team is after them but there are so many DE's bunched together in this draft and ones projected to later round 1, that they will probly stay right there. Plus Buffalo prob wont draft a DE now so a team will feel more comfortable staying right where they pick.

uga3406
03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
If we are going to reach for a qb, I rather reach for Cousins instead.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Only one thing here Ace that your forgetting.

Thats the rookie salary cap. Alot of teams would not move up based on what they would have to pay someone once they got them. Now that obstacle is basically gone, and with half the league salary cap strapped, this is a big deal now. They can seriously upgrade a spot (on paper) and not have to spend as much. The only way we are trading down though IMO is if Richardson and/or Blackmon drop to 8. There may be a certain DE that a team covets where they know another team is after them but there are so many DE's bunched together in this draft and ones projected to later round 1, that they will probly stay right there. Plus Buffalo prob wont draft a DE now so a team will feel more comfortable staying right where they pick.

But that only strengthens his point. Better draft picks are worth a lot more now, meaning that other teams will have to give up more to move up to higher positions. Think about what it takes to move up from #28 to #21 versus what it takes to move up to #7 from #28. It takes a lot more.

Locke
03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
This is the same guy who is always complaining about everything this team does. He doesn't want us to draft Tannehill at 8, but if we trade down and he goes before us, he'll be at the front of the pitchfork and torch crowd ready to crucify someone for missing out on a top QB. There is simply no way to make some people happy...

finfan54
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
But that only strengthens his point. Better draft picks are worth a lot more now, meaning that other teams will have to give up more to move up to higher positions. Think about what it takes to move up from #28 to #21 versus what it takes to move up to #7 from #28. It takes a lot more.

ireland wont care about that. He will just want to be able to still draft his guy and get another 2nd rounder. Like San Diego two years ago.

Zounds
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Tannehill is a reach at #8, but the people that project him to go in the top 10 do understand that it is a reach.

While many teams will reach for a QB based on the importance of the position, we all know Ireland's draft tendencies and I don't see him reaching for ANY player in round 1, even if its a QB. I'm ok with Tannehill if Sherman thinks he's the right guy, but I just don't see Ireland willing to draft him at #8.

MarshallFin1
03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
This is the same guy who is always complaining about everything this team does. He doesn't want us to draft Tannehill at 8, but if we trade down and he goes before us, he'll be at the front of the pitchfork and torch crowd ready to crucify someone for missing out on a top QB. There is simply no way to make some people happy...

since when i do complain?? Yea lets take a qb that is worth a 2nd round pick or maybe a 3rd with our 8 number overall pick when we can instead get a potential elite CB claiborne, HOF potential running back richardson or a dynamic WR like Floyd who i compare to steve smiths abilities. The dolphin fans are so desperate for a qb that we are yet again ready to screw up our next draft because our front office when they had the perfect chance to grab a worthy qb in the first round (matt ryan) they didnt, and passed up setting us back a few years. Now here we are again, gettin ready to take tannelhill with a top 10 pick when the dude is not even worth a 1st round pick. To be honest with you i looked at the highights and matt moore is just as impressive. Can he get better? sure hes young and a rook, but not for a 1st.

DKphin
03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Let's forget the trading down pipe dream...... who is the best pick @ #8 ? Is coples an elite passrusher? Can R. Rielly replace jake long? Or has everything been pointing to us taking a potential franchise qb?Are you kidding me? You are seriously thinking of replacing J Long with Reilly? I have heard it all now.

j-off-her-doll
03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
since when i do complain?? Yea lets take a qb that is worth a 2nd round pick or maybe a 3rd with our 8 number overall pick when we can instead get a potential elite CB claiborne, HOF potential running back richardson or a dynamic WR like Floyd who i compare to steve smiths abilities. The dolphin fans are so desperate for a qb that we are yet again ready to screw up our next draft because our front office when they had the perfect chance to grab a worthy qb in the first round (matt ryan) they didnt, and passed up setting us back a few years. Now here we are again, gettin ready to take tannelhill with a top 10 pick when the dude is not even worth a 1st round pick. To be honest with you i looked at the highights and matt moore is just as impressive. Can he get better? sure hes young and a rook, but not for a 1st.

WTF are you talking about? The best comparison you have for Floyd is Steve Smith? Thanks for letting everyone know that they should just skip your posts.

MarshallFin1
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
WTF are you talking about? The best comparison you have for Floyd is Steve Smith? Thanks for letting everyone know that they should just skip your posts.

steve smith of the panthers in his prime is a top 5 wr in the nfl. Im sure many people would take steve smith in his prime over 95% of the receivers in the nfl today. hes a burner, a wr that will make something out of nothing. Skip my posts please, than i dont have to deal with schooling you on football knowledge.

j-off-her-doll
03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
steve smith of the panthers in his prime is a top 5 wr in the nfl. Im sure many people would take steve smith in his prime over 95% of the receivers in the nfl today. hes a burner, a wr that will make something out of nothing. Skip my posts please, than i dont have to deal with schooling you on football knowledge.

Steve Smith is 6 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter than Floyd. He's a hell of a lot quicker than Floyd, and - speaking of game speed - he's notably faster. They're both good with the ball in the air, but aside from that, how are they similar at all?

I like both. That's not the point.

MarshallFin1
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Steve Smith is 6 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter than Floyd. He's a hell of a lot quicker than Floyd, and - speaking of game speed - he's notably faster. They're both good with the ball in the air, but aside from that, how are they similar at all?

I like both. That's not the point.

i didnt say he was exactly like steve smith, i compared him to steve smith which to say means similar, not the same.

Locke
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
i didnt say he was exactly like steve smith, i compared him to steve smith which to say means similar, not the same.

:lol:

Just admit he called you out on your mistake and move on. Your argument is like comparing Marvin Harrison to Calvin Johnson. They were both top 5 receivers in their prime, but that's about where similarities end...

MarshallFin1
03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
:lol:

Just admit he called you out on your mistake and move on. Your argument is like comparing Marvin Harrison to Calvin Johnson. They were both top 5 receivers in their prime, but that's about where similarities end...

if u call that a mistake dunno what to say :)