PDA

View Full Version : If Tannehill and Blackmon are both on the board..

chrispepper
03-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you draft Tannehill - hoping you can address the receiving spots in round 2-5 or do you take the BPA who also fills a major need whilst missing out on a potential franchise quarterback

I'd personally go with the latter, Moore deserves a chance and with the right supporting cast there's no reason why we can't be a playoff team this year..

Thoughts?

Wishfishin
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
By all means go with BPA. We've got to gather some top-flight talent.

elite14eva
03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
blackmon will be gone before we pick between rams & browns he's gone.

MarshallFin1
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
blackmon will be gone before we pick between rams & browns he's gone.

Michael floyd is just as talented if not better. Look at the highlights, floyd has some off the field issues but worth the risk imo. @op , do u really want the dolphins to go into a season with hartline and bess as our best receivers? i sure dont...

rent this space
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
If you're convinced he will be a franchise guy you go with Tannehill, a QB is more valuable than a WR

DanStillStands
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
If some how this happens you have to go with Blackmon

travm08
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Blackmon....give Moore a chance

napsndreds
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM
BLACKMON! are you kidding me? if we draft tannehill he wont even play this year...blackmon gets on the field instantly...tannehill may not even see the field next year...we need to evaluate moore and gerrard then draft next year....

fishbanger
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Agree, depends on whether you consider both players franchise players compared to the other players available in the draft.

In addition, does QB fit our scheme? How much better is he then the other QBs available? Is he a special talent compared to the other QBs available?

Same goes for Blackmon. Is he a special WR that only comes out every 5 years or so. Does he fit our scheme? Are their lots of other WRs available that can start in our Offense comparable to Blackmon?

Did the GB offense need a Blackmon to be a top 5 offense?

ROADRUNNER
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
The Browns will pick one and the Rams will pick the other, Miami will not get any of them, sorry............

damanref10
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Agree, depends on whether you consider both players franchise players compared to the other players available in the draft.

In addition, does QB fit our scheme? How much better is he then the other QBs available? Is he a special talent compared to the other QBs available?

Same goes for Blackmon. Is he a special WR that only comes out every 5 years or so. Does he fit our scheme? Are their lots of other WRs available that can start in our Offense comparable to Blackmon?

Did the GB offense need a Blackmon to be a top 5 offense?

yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziK2mDmaigQ

J Tes
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
The Browns will pick one and the Rams will pick the other, Miami will not get any of them, sorry............

So you're trying to say that Cleveland if takes Blackmon (very strong possibility), STL would then in return take Tannehill? No shot STL takes Tannehill

rent this space
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
So you're trying to say that Cleveland if takes Blackmon (very strong possibility), STL would then in return take Tannehill? No shot STL takes TannehillI think he means the Rams will take Blacmon which is very likely and the Browns will take Tannehill which is unlikely but not impossible.

russianbear
03-26-2012, 11:52 AM
This is a tough decision and any prediction now can really only be proved correct in hindsight. If Tannehill were to end up being a franchise guy then we would look back and wished we had taken him 1st rd. However if he only pans out to another Moore-eqsue QB, than we will be saying I told ya so about taking the BPA. If it were up to me? I would take Blackmon if available (even Floyd) because our hole in the WR posistion is alarming. We lack a size guy who can really dominate the middle of the field. Then I would try to snag Weeden 2nd round or another developmental QB later in the draft, stick with Moore, develop our new offensive weapon. However maybe that's the line of thought that has left us without a franchise QB these last 10 years.....

miami234ever
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm shocked at this thread. People still want the quick fix and don't want to select a potential franchise QB in the 1st round? How did we do last year with a true #1 and an average QB? How did Matt Moore do his first full year starting in Carolina? I'm baffled. We complain year in and year out about not having a QB, and then we're so quick to pick a WR, who is not even needed in this offense, over a QB. Funny because most people saying Blackmon now would be starting threads like "Who's going to THROW the ball to Blackmon?!?!??!" after the draft.

Answer: Tannehill without hesitation.

@damanref10: Greg Jennings is not nearly as talented as Blackmon. Greg Jennings was a "lowly" second round pick, not top 10.

islandah
03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
It all depends on Mike Sherman's recommendation about Tannehill. You saw what Philbin's assessment of Flynn was and the result. BUT, if Sherman and the rest of the talent evaluators see him as a franchise qb, even if not immediately, you've got to go Tannehill.

How many times in a game does even a dominant alpha receiver touch the ball and affect the game, vs. the QB? It's not even close.

CANDolphan
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, this is very systematic. Obviously, Blackmon is considered a better prospect than Tannehill, but if Miami is convinced that Tannehill is the kind of guy you view as a franchise QB you grab that immediately.

WRs are easier to find than franchise QBs

angry dolfan
03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I think he means the Rams will take Blacmon which is very likely and the Browns will take Tannehill which is unlikely but not impossible.

Cleveland selects before the Rams so the Rams pick won't dictate what the Browns do at #4. Browns will choose between Richardson or Blackmon. There is no way they take a QB when they already have a servicable starting QB who fits their system. They have no RB and no legit WR and they desperately need both. Doubtful Blackmon is avaialbel at 8 since the Rams will take himn if the Browns don't.

It just hit me...the Browns can play hardball and possibly make out handsomely this draft. If the Rams trully want Blackmon, the Browns can convince the Rams they will take Blackmon and trade back one spot, then convince the Fins they will take Tannehil and trade back again. As long as they don't ask for too much in trade, they can walk away with 2 additional 2nd round picks in this years draft simply by dropping a few spots.

dabeastdabone
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
How good was this team with a top 5 wr and no QB? Are we eager to continue that tradition? If so draft a WR.

sluggo
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
If both Tannehil & Blackmon are available at 8, someone is going to be hot to trot to move up to get Blackmon so we might look to trade back a couple slots, pick up an extra 2nd round pick and still get Tannehil.

finfan54
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
are the people who bitch about no qb the same people who would take a WR over a QB? i think so many times over

hooshoops
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
greg jennings is a legit #1 wr...legit...top 10 in the nfl

X-Pacolypse
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
If you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a chance. If you believe Ryan Tannehill is the guy, you take him.

Dolphin Dave
03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
For me it would all depend on trade offers. If someone offers this years 1st & 2nd plus next years first to move up and get Blackmon, I take the deal in a NY second. I wait to see if Tannehill drops to our new 1st round slot and if he doesnt then I take Weedon. I then use our 2-2nds 2-3rds ect to fill out our roster and use our 2-1sts next year for ammo to trade up if needed.

angry dolfan
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
For me it would all depend on trade offers. If someone offers this years 1st & 2nd plus next years first to move up and get Blackmon, I take the deal in a NY second. I wait to see if Tannehill drops to our new 1st round slot and if he doesnt then I take Weedon. I then use our 2-2nds 2-3rds ect to fill out our roster and use our 2-1sts next year for ammo to trade up if needed.

Any team who uses that much to trade up with us is probably a playoff team which means we would move back too far to still grab Tannehill.

Wildbill3
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
simple pseudo code...

If Franchise QB = yes
then draft BPA
Else Draft Franchice QB
EndIf

NYPhin24
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
In a draft which WR has been said by multiple draft gurus and experts as one of if not the deepest positions in the draft, you take the QB

I wouldnt even mind if they took Tannehill at #8, and used both those extra 3rd round picks from the Marshall trade plus next years 2nd to move back into the late 1st for a Michael Flloyd or Kendall Wright (however we know Ireland loves his draft picks so i doubt he wants to part with any)

Or ideally take Tannehill and hope Sanu from Rutgers is there with Miamis 2nd pick and keep all your picks

hooshoops
03-26-2012, 01:05 PM
whats so deep about this wr crop??? i'm not seeing it at all...there's a lot of garbage

SuperMarksBros.
03-26-2012, 01:07 PM
are the people who bitch about no qb the same people who would take a WR over a QB? i think so many times over
Because our fearless leader dumped our WR for a roll of toilet paper. Tannehill was considered a late 1st or 2nd round prospect after the season and now is being hyped bc he's the 3rd QB in the draft. Manning, Luck, and Griffin are gone, lets not get a QB just to get one.

NYPhin24
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Because our fearless leader dumped our WR for a roll of toilet paper. Tannehill was considered a late 1st or 2nd round prospect after the season and now is being hyped bc he's the 3rd QB in the draft. Manning, Luck, and Griffin are gone, lets not get a QB just to get one.

hmm two 3rd round picks are toilet paper? interesting since that same WR your complaining was dumped was selected in the FOURTH round 119th overall

J Tes
03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I think he means the Rams will take Blacmon which is very likely and the Browns will take Tannehill which is unlikely but not impossible.

Most likely what he meant but the way he worded it was poor. Plus Cleveland picks before STL so they have their choice. I think they go Blackmon and possibly Richardson. Highly doubt they take Tannehill

SuperMarksBros.
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
hmm two 3rd round picks are toilet paper? interesting since that same WR your complaining was dumped was selected in the FOURTH round 119th overall
...and top WRs are found that late every year. Take a quick run through some of our 3rd round picks over the last few years for a nice laugh.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
If you're convinced he will be a franchise guy you go with Tannehill, a QB is more valuable than a WR I agree with this. If Mike Sherman and Joe Philbin are convinced that Ryan Tannehill is going to be an all-pro QB, you draft Ryan Tannehill, period.

NYPhin24
03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
...and top WRs are found that late every year. Take a quick run through some of our 3rd round picks over the last few years for a nice laugh.

so you are deeming the 3rd round as undraftable for WRs? the point is you can find good WRs later in the draft, as we have seen finding good QBs later in the draft is much much less likely

and as far as the last few years for 3rd round WRs

2011- Austin Pettis, Leonard Hankerson, Vincent Brown (all rookies who showed some flashes and promise)

2010- Brandon Lafell, Damian Williams, Emmanual Sanders, Jordan Shipley, Eric Decker (who had 8 TDs last season with Tebow as his QB, Marshall had 9 TDs total in 2 years on the Phins including ZERO multiple TD games)

2009- Mike Wallace (may just be one but is considered one of the best big play WRs in the NFL)

Wildbill3
03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree with this. If Mike Sherman and Joe Philbin are convinced that Ryan Tannehill is going to be an all-pro QB, you draft Ryan Tannehill, period.Until philbin and sherman prove they don't deserve our faith, i'm going to keep faith in them to build this team. We know they wanted manning, and passed on flynn, so if they draft tannehill great! if they pass on him or he's picked before us, then I'll trust them on who they do pick to build this team.

Kdawg954
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I feel like this, if they take a WR (or any other position) with that first pick, they don't feel Tannehill is going to be a franchise QB. If they do think he can be a franchise QB and they pass because they feel they can get him later, they would be repeating the same mistakes of the past . . . not valuing the most important position on the field.

Sure it would be great if we passed and we some how still got him . . . but that is a risk, personally, I wouldn't take.

hooshoops
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
that's right...they won't risk it if they believe tannehills a franchise qb...so if they think he's that guy we won't be trading out or passing at #8

SammySmif
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Have to go with Blackmon as I believe that Tannehill is a 2nd round talent.

the QB depth is pretty good..I like a lot of guys who could come in and compete and hold the fort down in the late rounds.

Most likely we will not have an elite QB on the team this year. It sucks..I REALLY wanted RG3.

Mogwai
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
You either believe Tannehill is a franchise QB or you don't. If you do, you better pick him at 8 because Cleveland is probably not going to pass on him the 3 times until we pick again.

state06
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
could make a case for either. If i was hard pressed, i would go Blackmon, let this season play out with the QB we have now, and target one of the 1st rounders next year. However, if the FO sees tannehill as a franchise QB, the choice is obvious

Lord Of Miami
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Michael floyd is just as talented if not better. Look at the highlights, floyd has some off the field issues but worth the risk imo. @op , do u really want the dolphins to go into a season with hartline and bess as our best receivers? i sure dont...

If you really watch collage football, you'd know Floyd can be taken out of games in collage when teams put two guys on him.

Blackmon is a different kind of animal all together.

FYI ~ Most teams don't like to draft WR's in the 1st round when they can be taken out of the game by putting two guys on them at the collage level.

kloud_9
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Ugh it ain't happening...maybe if he woulda ran a 4.6 at his pro day,but that 4.4 didn't help us...

Dmarino110
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
If you're convinced he will be a franchise guy you go with Tannehill, a QB is more valuable than a WRIm not convinced a guy with 16 starts in college is a franchise guy...:See Sanchez...

HybridPHIN 23
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Of all the years we have an opportunity to take the best WR in the class, it has to be this year..... Justin Blackmon, ugh........ why do we always get stuck in these positions ?

#1 overall pick and the best players are Jake Long, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, and Matt Ryan..... I like Jake but damn, thats weak.

#2 overall pick and we're choosing between Ronnie, Braylon Edwards, Cadillac and Cedric Benson. WTF ?

Now we're talking about the severely over-rated Blackmon, who i think is a more gifted Marty Booker living off inflated stats, and taking him over a potential franchise QB ???? He's not even on the same level as Dez Bryant, especially not AJ Green or Julio Jones. Haven't we learned our lesson yet ? Still Floyd is the better player, but with his legal history I'd wait until the late 1st to take a chance on him (Dez).

Theres also the fact that this offense is based on spreading the ball around and not having a go to guy. Blackmon doesnt even fit the mold. BAD IDEA if he even makes it to our pick.

SammySmif
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Until philbin and sherman prove they don't deserve our faith, i'm going to keep faith in them to build this team. We know they wanted manning, and passed on flynn, so if they draft tannehill great! if they pass on him or he's picked before us, then I'll trust them on who they do pick to build this team.

Even though I'd go with Blackmon, I agree with this reasoning.

I have been burned by so many bad QB picks here lately that I am jaded.

cljh19
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Of all the years we have an opportunity to take the best WR in the class, it has to be this year..... Justin Blackmon, ugh........ why do we always get stuck in these positions ?

#1 overall pick and the best players are Jake Long, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, and Matt Ryan..... I like Jake but damn, thats weak.

#2 overall pick and we're choosing between Ronnie, Braylon Edwards, Cadillac and Cedric Benson. WTF ?

Now we're talking about the severely over-rated Blackmon, who i think is a more gifted Marty Booker living off inflated stats, and taking him over a potential franchise QB ???? He's not even on the same level as Dez Bryant, especially not AJ Green or Julio Jones. Haven't we learned our lesson yet ? Still Floyd is the better player, but with his legal history I'd wait until the late 1st to take a chance on him (Dez).

Theres also the fact that this offense is based on spreading the ball around and not having a go to guy. Blackmon doesnt even fit the mold. BAD IDEA if he even makes it to our pick.

I agree, every year we get top 10 pick, the draft blows. This one is deep but after the first 1, its not one of the best.

I would say this one at 8 is probaly better than being at 2, Ronnie Brown year. When you look back at that draft's top 5, sadly I would say we got it right.

Looking back on the draft of Jake Long...we didnt do horrible, but sure would be nice to have a QB(Ryan) over LT. But you do what you do..and you move on.

This year is probaly the best spot we have been. There really isnt a position we CANT take. Only one position(QB) we HAVE too. Problem is our options at 8 for a QB arent good.

If Blackmon is there you take him over Tannehill, unless you think Floyd is better. Im down for taking the best available PLAYMAKER!

J. David Wannyheimer
03-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Until philbin and sherman prove they don't deserve our faith, i'm going to keep faith in them to build this team. We know they wanted manning, and passed on flynn, so if they draft tannehill great! if they pass on him or he's picked before us, then I'll trust them on who they do pick to build this team.

Yeah. I'm pretty down on the Dolphins, but Philbin and Sherman have not been part of the problem yet. So until Joe shows me he's another Sparano or Cameron, he's getting the benefit of the doubt.

And Mike Sherman might not have been a great college head coach, but he's been very successful in the NFL. He did a solid job in Green Bay and in his two stops as an offensive coordinator he did a respectable job. 12th in scoring with Jon Kitna throwing to Derrick Mayes in Seattle, and when he took over the Texans' offense in 2007 they jumped from 28th overall to 14th.

I want to say that these guys are going to be a little bit more competent with the offense than Meatball and the Dinosaur, but I guess we'll see.

hooshoops
03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
its gonna be hard for philbin to prove his worth with the likes of david garrard and matt moore under center in a timing and accuracy based offense...real hard...especially with no legitimate weapons on the outside and a slug at te...

as for sherman i wasn't all that impressed with his work as a head coach at texas a & m but all i guess i really care about is can this guy evaluate draft qb talent...

that said if these guys are gonna show well in 2012 ireland and company better hit the ball out of the park in the draft...they better hit some grand slams

cuzinvinny
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree with this. If Mike Sherman and Joe Philbin are convinced that Ryan Tannehill is going to be an all-pro QB, you draft Ryan Tannehill, period.

Agree 100%

if Sherman wants Tannehill you go for it, but I'm just feeling he won't.....

If not I'd love to have Trent Richardson.....Bush not going to be here during our contending years and if he is, I doubt he'd be on the same level as this past year........
We need a offensive threat and Richards fits the bill to a T, Wr 2-3 rds....but I'm just dreamin

Andyman
03-27-2012, 01:14 PM

If that's the case then Richardson is probably there and we could trade down.

daniel3
03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
A better one would be if Tannehill and Richardson are on the board, who do you take if you can't successfully shop the pick??

phintim
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
If we have the straight inside scoop from Sherman that Tannehill will be the starter late this year or starting next year you stay where you are at and take the guy. If not you pass because if Weeden can start now and you have Tannehill who lets say is a starter 3 years from now you have gone nowhere except given up cap space for 2 years for a guy sitting on the bench whom will then be within a year of Weedens age that you will have to resign. If Ireland believe in either one of these guys he needs to extend himself this year.
If he is iffy he needs to try and trade back to the middle of round 1 and hope either or both or there and if that is not availble he takes Blakmon of whatever elite player is left on the table and hope that at the top of round 2 there is still a QB that will work for us available.
I do not have a great feel for this draft but I see us going OLB or DE pass rusher in this draft in the first round followed by a QB, OT and WR in the first 3 rounds and maybe a TE in the 4th and a safty in the 5th and another WR in rounds 6 through 7. I am big fan of trading back and just getting picks. Lots of good players in each round if you know how to find them.

hooshoops
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
none of blackmon richardson or claiborne are getting to #8...its not happening...

godolphins1985
03-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Only thing is that if our OC gives a shining endorsement for hill then there is no way we get a wr. So you all think a top flight wr will solve moore or Garrard? How did moore do with bess and Marshall? Not that great huh. So what makes you think an unproven NFL rookie will change all that. At least with hill the possibility of a true franchise qb is there, unlike moore. In my eyes moore had his chance with a top wr and slot wr and didn't do too much.

Draft a qb ...its been how many years since we drafted a top qb in a draft??? Im done with handmedown quarterbacks and second tier hopefulls in the second round. A good Qb can make any mediocre offense good. We have a running game and a great slot wr and a promising field stretcher in gates. We need a qb. Everything is secondary... its been top priority since Marino retired....how many more years do you all want to suffer with this silly game of quarterback duck duck goose?? Draft a qb until you find a franchise qb. The end.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

cuzinvinny
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
none of blackmon richardson or claiborne are getting to #8...its not happening...

Ya, I'm afraid you are right,

Even would consider trading up a couple spots to get Richardson if it wasn't to costly(again consider), for I feel he is going to be an exceptional player ......... but then me and the FO are on two different wave lengths and I'd faint if that happened