PDA

View Full Version : Tannehill at 8 ?

cuzinvinny
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Look folks I know we need a QB but Tannehill anywhere in the top 2/3s of rd.1 is kinda a major risk that IMO is not worth taking....possibly anywhere in the 1st rd. Ya I know the media rant, But think again it's the "media". You know if you are on board for this, I hope you have more info than what you hear on your limited level of information board of sports talk, espn, U-Tube and forums........or just so wanting a QB your not thinking logical.........
Hey I'm not saying I'm right but, He is not on the same level of the other two and more in line with the rest of the pack which are not worth risking in rd 1
Our team is to weak to screw up our #1 pick. We need a definite player and can't afford to miss on this one.
Christ all I hear is building through the draft......and Tannehill wasn't even considered a 1st rdr a few months back.

We will have to pick up a QB in the mid rds or wait till next seasons and see whats becomes available.

We can't screw up our #1 pick ...........JMO

iwastherein72
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
We will have to pick up a QB in the mid rds or wait till next seasons and see whats becomes available.

This is EXACTLY what we CANNOT do because it is what we have been doing and FAILING at for the last decade.

And then NEXT year rolls around and we think all the QBs are too expensive and draft more linemen.

Rinse and repeat. Over and over again.

TrinidadDolfan
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Look folks I know we need a QB but Tannehill anywhere in the top 2/3s of rd.1 is kinda a major risk that IMO is not worth taking....possibly anywhere in the 1st rd. Ya I know the media rant, But think again it's the "media". You know if you are on board for this, I hope you have more info than what you hear on your limited level of information board of sports talk, espn, U-Tube and forums........or just so wanting a QB your not thinking logical.........
Hey I'm not saying I'm right but, He is not on the same level of the other two and more in line with the rest of the pack which are not worth risking in rd 1
Our team is to weak to screw up our #1 pick. We need a definite player and can't afford to miss on this one.
Christ all I hear is building through the draft......and Tannehill wasn't even considered a 1st rdr a few months back.

We can't screw up our #1 pick ...........JMO

This kind of "safe" thinking is exactly why we are in this mess.
If you believe that Tannehill would be a good pick, but not in the "top 2/3s of round 1" then I am not sure what you are thinking. If you believe that he can be a Franchise QB, then you pick him. Period. If you do not think he could be, then why draft him a bit lower than the top third in Round 1? Why draft him at all? I am tired of hearing all this "go for the safe pick" crap.

Take a chance, for once. Jeez.....

Spiff
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
This is EXACTLY what we CANNOT do because it is what we have been doing and FAILING at for the last decade.

And then NEXT year rolls around and we think all the QBs are too expensive and draft more linemen.

Rinse and repeat. Over and over again.
Right. Draft a potential franchise QB in round 1 and try to develop him. Worst case scenario is we will be drafting early in 3 to 5 years from now - and will get another chance at a franchise QB. I'd rather take that chance now than passing on a QB again AND draft early in 3 to 5 years...

Jeep
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
IMO... if you liked Henne as our QB, then you'll love Tannehill..

foozool13
03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
If you think that he is THE GUY then there is no "too early" to draft him. Its really that simple. I think that was shown last year with all of those QBs going that early and way ahead of thier "draft grade". We know everything there is too know about Tannehill (between scouting and Sherman) and if our coaches think he is the guy then there isnt a single analyst, scout, or finheaven fan that knows better.

cljh19
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Top 10 definately seems high for Tannehill. If they would draft him at 8....they better be right and we better be able to see they were right this year!!!!!

Personally I dont believe this hype, and believe we have a legit shot getting him later. Either by trading down with the 8th pick, or we could trade up with our 2nd rd. Its also possible he falls right to our 2nd rd pick.

Its not about playing it safe...its about doing whats best. You dont take Tannehill at 8 because your tired of "playing it safe". No doubt we need a QB in this draft, but let's stay smart.

cuzinvinny
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Top 10 definately seems high for Tannehill. If they would draft him at 8....they better be right and we better be able to see they were right this year!!!!!

Personally I dont believe this hype, and believe we have a legit shot getting him later. Either by trading down with the 8th pick, or we could trade up with our 2nd rd. Its also possible he falls right to our 2nd rd pick.

Its not about playing it safe...its about doing whats best. You dont take Tannehill at 8 because your tired of "playing it safe". No doubt we need a QB in this draft, but let's stay smart.

exactly

finfan54
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
so cuzzin vinny, when we end up with crap and no Qb are you going to be bitchin about how we have no QB for the future?? just askin.

finfan54
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Taking Tannhill at 8 is not playing it safe. What it will mean is that the coaches believe he is the future and he will become the next aaron rogers. It wont matter where they take him. They believe that he will be the face of the franchise in a couple of years.

Now, I often refer back to Ted Ginn at 9. That was compelte nonsense! You had LB who ran a 4.5 who was a tackle machine and could cover ground sideline to sideline and you go for a KR essentially.

What we are talking about here is a QB. You know, the thing everyone is bitchin about!

Zounds
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Look folks I know we need a QB but Tannehill anywhere in the top 2/3s of rd.1 is kinda a major risk that IMO is not worth taking....

I would agree with you if we were any other team. However, since we have Sherman as our OC, I would feel comfortable taking Tannehill at #8 because we know exactly what we are getting. If Sherman was not on our team, I would be very afraid of drafting Tannehill at #8.

X-Pacolypse
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Your line of thinking is the reason why Miami hasn't been able to find a successor to Marino. A franchise that doesn't make a meaningful investment in the QB position is a franchise destined to fail year in and year out.

cuzinvinny
03-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Right. Draft a potential franchise QB in round 1 and try to develop him. Worst case scenario is we will be drafting early in 3 to 5 years from now - and will get another chance at a franchise QB. I'd rather take that chance now than passing on a QB again AND draft early in 3 to 5 years...

I'd agree with you if i thought the guy was a legitimate franchies QB.....

I don't............But if Philbin and mostly Sherman who actually know about him in detail are willing to base their HC abilities on Tannehill which they'd be doin with an 8th overall pick, well who the hell am I to say it's wrong. But much like Flynn I feel that our fan base is hoping and maybe expecting more, than there is out of this ...(which god knows is understandable)

Spiff
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd agree with you if i thought the guy was a legitimate franchies QB.....

I don't............But if Philbin and mostly Sherman who actually know about him in detail are willing to base their HC abilities on Tannehill which they'd be doin with an 8th overall pick, well who the hell am I to say it's wrong. But much like Flynn I feel that our fan base is hoping and maybe expecting more, than there is out of this ...(which god knows is understandable)We agree. If the coaches don't think he's franchise QB material, they shouldn't draft him at all. But if they think he is, go get him at 8. If I did the Dolphins draft, I'd take that chance this year (with the limited knowledge I have).

phinsgohard06
03-27-2012, 12:42 AM
No way should we take Tannehill AT 8th. Come on guys im just as desperate for a QB as every other Phins fan. However drafting Tannehill with our 8th spot is not a part of my Mock draft ill tell u that much. Don't get me wrong dude can ball. But Top Ten pick in the draft? No. We have other key holes other than Qb. That pick can get us some quality players on the board. Plus did we forget who is in front office? It just wouldn't happen. Only way this happens is Mike Sherman tricks Jeff Ireland and tells him Tannehill can play lineman as well. :)

BJJKID
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I know it may not make the most immediate sense, but who says we can't take the best player available at 8 and then trade him later on in the 1st round so we can get Tannehill at "value", if that's really who we want in the first place? We could pick up additional picks AND ensure we get the QB we want, if indeed we are targeting him anyway. It's been 29 years. About time we roll the dice on a 1st rounder. No guarantee we get Barkley or somebody next year anyway, and then you're down an additional year in the path of your franchise.

Roman529
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Many people thought Tom Brady wasn't as good as the 6 or 7 QB's taken before him as well. You often cannot tell how a QB is going to do in the NFL until he gets out there and plays.

Locke
03-27-2012, 02:03 PM
It doesn't matter if you think he is a legitimate franchise QB, if matters what our front office thinks. If Philbin and Ireland think he fits the bill, there is no way to rationalize him being picked too early...

ryanosaur2000
03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I am going to 100% defer to the FO and Mike Sherman on taking Tannehill. They will have done their research and Sherman already knows Tannehill's value, so if they take him at 8 they must feel that he has a decent chance of becoming an NFL starter. If they do not feel that way, they will trade down (if they can) or take the best player on the board.

cuzinvinny
03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I actually agree with the pack that If Sherman gives the OK to Philly who then communicates it to Ireland and they think Tannehill is the guy hey more power to them and I'll be on board...

Gotta give new HC the benefit of doubt at this extremely early stage....

I hope he is good enough to pick at 8 but feel that even with all the pressure from fans and media he will be considered to much of a risk to blow an 8 rd pick on....We desperately need offensive weapons and if the QB is not their we will have to take the next best option (not necessarily an OL)...JMO and I KNOW WE NEED A QB...........