PDA

View Full Version : What about Russell Wilson as a late round Pick?

Alnur
03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Thoughts?

Roman529
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
I'd rather take BJ Coleman later on if we are gonna take a late round QB.

SQuinn17
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd rather have him on the roster than Devlin. He's not that big but his game is big. He's pretty tough too.

traptses
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
yes. I am all for Russell Wilson. 1st round talent, knocked way down due to his size. If he were 4 inches taller, we would be mentioning him with Luck and Griffin. Worth a 5th round pick atleast. I like this idea better than the guy who suggested Kellen Moore

Fin Thirteen
03-26-2012, 05:02 PM
What about Russell Wilson as a mid round pick.

Thats where youll have to take him because someone will pull the trigger in round 4, maybe the bottom of the third. That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it!

traptses
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Thats where youll have to take him because someone will pull the trigger in round 4, maybe the bottom of the third. That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it!

I can see it

Mr. Day
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM

I think he may linger around until the 5th or maybe even the 6th because of his height. I wouldn't mind taking him then. There is a certain short quarterback that plays in New Orleans that is pretty good. In the right system with the right plays, he might be a steal.

Danny
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
why do you guys want to keep on drafting back ups?

Ozzy rules!!

taldolfin
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
I posted this last week and got thrown in the fire. Seems that you have to see over the line is key, which it is but sometimes the proto Qb is the ones taken in the 5th or 6th rounds and tose protos are the ones that win.

Sirspud
03-26-2012, 06:12 PM

Ozzy rules!!

Part of this team's problem is not that they have drafted merely backups, but that they have hardly drafted real QB's at all. Obviously at one point we drafted 3 second round QB's in a row, but extremely rarely have we taken someone in rounds 3-5, which means that we haven't enough given ourselves a chance to find a diamond in the rough.

Fin Thirteen
03-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Ozzy rules!!

Second rounders make great backups. Fifth rounders make high risk, high reward gambles. You don't put your house on Russell Wilson, BJ Coleman or Chandler Harnish to be your starter. You take a punt and they either stick or get cut.

Kinzua
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM

I hope that "someone" is Buddy Nix of the Bills! I really like Wilson. I think he's got more potential than Tannehill by a mile. He's 5'11'' and 180-190 I think, which is why he's not up there with Luck and Griffin. His arm is good enough to get him interest from MLB.

Kinzua
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Ozzy rules!!

When a QB prospect is only a couple inches of height away from being a top prospect, he's a better choice than reaching for a taller "project" QB in the first. If Wilson was 6' 2", nobody would even give Tannehill a second look.

Dolfan4life!
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I hope that "someone" is Buddy Nix of the Bills! I really like Wilson. I think he's got more potential than Tannehill by a mile. He's 5'11'' and 180-190 I think, which is why he's not up there with Luck and Griffin. His arm is good enough to get him interest from MLB.
He's not 5'11". He's even shorter than that, which is why he isn't an NFL QB...He's destined for Canada.

Danny
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
My point is, why not go for it for once and draft a QB that looks and plays the part instead of gambling on has beens or never have beens?......people keep thinking that that if you take a QB in the middle rounds they'll find another Brady. For every Brady found in round 6, how many QB's drafted after round 5 have done anything in the NFL?.......you find good o-linemen in the middle to later rounds all the time. But very rarely do you find great QB's that late.

Ozzy rules!!

Sirspud
03-26-2012, 08:10 PM
My point is, why not go for it for once and draft a QB that looks and plays the part instead of gambling on has beens or never have beens?......people keep thinking that that if you take a QB in the middle rounds they'll find another Brady. For every Brady found in round 6, how many QB's drafted after round 5 have done anything in the NFL?.......you find good o-linemen in the middle to later rounds all the time. But very rarely do you find great QB's that late.

Ozzy rules!!

One thing is for sure. You will never find a good QB that late if you don't ever try.

There's nothing wrong with picking a late round QB to see what he can offer. The only problem would be if you are drafting him late with the intentions of making him your starter at some point. It makes sense to draft a mid-round QB if you want a young QB in your system but don't have a chance to draft guys highly who are worth the lofty draft pick. A great example is Tannehill this year, who most scouts feel is a second round talent, so he may not be worth drafting at number 8 yet may be gone by the second time we come around. It's simply not worth it to draft a guy at number 8 who the team may not envision being a franchise QB prospect. Why not take a player who has dominant potential at his position, which the number 8 pick should have.

So in that case, it would still be really nice to bring in a younger guy, not necessarily because you think he will be the starter, but because he can still pay dividends down the road and you need a third QB anyway.

phinfan1983
03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Pass. Wilson is a backup at best in the NFL. We need to draft a starter.

Dolfan4life!
03-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Pat Devlin has a much greater chance of developing into a serviceable player. Honestly, what would be the point of drafting Wilson? It's too bad, because he seems to have everything needed to develop into a NFL QB...except height. The guy is 5'10" standing on his tippy-toes. He'll never be a NFL QB.

Miamibyrd
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Wouldnt draft him even in the 7th round, not a player of the present or future for the fins. He looks like a seahawk type of qb.

MP-Omnis
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I think he may linger around until the 5th or maybe even the 6th because of his height. I wouldn't mind taking him then. There is a certain short quarterback that plays in New Orleans that is pretty good. In the right system with the right plays, he might be a steal.

Drew Brees isn't THAT short.

SuperBowlDream
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I have been to games and seen him play...He is real mobile with decent arm strength.
Kind of reminds me of another undersized QB we drafted out of WV who got his bell rung right before a free ride on a stretcher and decided the NFL was not his cup of tea.

SammySmif
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I posted this last week and got thrown in the fire. Seems that you have to see over the line is key, which it is but sometimes the proto Qb is the ones taken in the 5th or 6th rounds and tose protos are the ones that win.

Me too I made the same thread and got ripped for it. He would be a later round pick that is why I like him.

Patty from WVU was a SECOND ROUNDER. That is what really hurts about that guy more than anything.

Alnur
03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Hes smart, accurate, and tough and is a winner. He also played behind one of the largest line in football. He a real student of the game and reminds me of more athletic Brees.
He ran a pro-style offense at Wisconsin and set single season school records for passing yards (3,175), touchdown passes (33), completions (225), and had a pass efficiency rating of 191.8. He is not Pat white!

Finfan4lyfe91
04-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I think this kid has all the makings to run a very effective WCO QB. From what I see of him he seems very accurate, obviously mobile, seems to have very good (not great) arm strength, and seems to be a smart man and good football student. I know the knock on him is that he is 5'10" but I don't see any of his throws getting batted down at the LOS.. You may say, "that's because he rolls out and blah blah blah," but I think he will be a great pickup in the draft. I keep going back and forth and taking Tannenhill at 8 or this guy with one of our 3rd rounders..

If we decided to take this kid let's say with our second 3rd rounder, we can take either Ingram, Coples (whom I don't personally want) maybe even Kuechly, or DeCastro with our 8th pick or maybe trade down for Fleener.. then either a WR or whatever position we don't fill with our 1st.. either pass rusher or OL..

I like this kid.. I feel like he has great intangibles.. Just my thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc

dahlmarino
04-01-2012, 11:03 PM
He played behind one of the biggest o-lines in college football and it didn't seem to effect his ability to see the field and make throws. Maybe height isn't that big of a concern with this one.

Finfan4lyfe91
04-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah exactly.. if that's his biggest knock I don't understand why he isn't rated higher.. I know I'm not a "scout" by any means but I don't understand it. Maybe I'm missing something but he seems to be a like a great 3rd round pickup for us.

footsteps_falco
04-01-2012, 11:21 PM
bj coleman

fishbanger
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I think he only makes sense in a QB double down pick. I would pick Wilson 5th or later. He may be a great player but the odds are against him. Brady was taken in the 6th round and I thought he was pretty good QB coming out of college. Better then Grieses son.

SammySmif
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
It's funny to read this thread again. Still early, but Wilson killed it in camp and is now in a strong position to start year 1 for SEA. Let's see what happens, but I believe a lot of you folks in here will be wrong about Wilson.

ckparrothead
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
The position I agreed with was that it's only OK if it was part of a doubling down, as fishbanger called it.

Hey I've gone on record saying there's only a marginal difference between Robert Griffin and Russell Wilson, and that if I missed out on Tannehill/Weeden I might even take Russell in the 2nd round just to make sure we got him, because he's the best guy left.

But that doesn't mean I want to bet everything on him. I would want to hedge my risk. I thought Seattle's signing Matt Flynn was a perfect way to do that and I really like what they've done at the position.

SammySmif
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
^^^^

It's not all about you man.

miland
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
just getting thread count up - sorry friends!

miamiron
09-03-2012, 09:57 AM
just getting thread count up - sorry friends!

It's not like you've had 6 years to do that:)