PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Ireland's options at #8, based on draft history!

normaniii
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
When you look at Ireland's draft history, every 1st round pick has been drafted with the intention to start day 1. If he continues along those lines, Tannehill will not be selected at #8.

When you look at positions where a potential 1st round pick could start, you would consider a WR, OG or OT. Many would consider DE, but with the re-signing of Soliai, IMO we will start with a front 3 of Odrick, Soliai & Starks, with Wake as the 'flex' rusher, much like last year, lining up left and right.

WR - Blackmon, Floyd, K.Wright.
IMO Blackmon will be off the board. Floyd's biggest weakness is route running and Ireland will also be scared off by his previous character concerns. Wright IMO would be too much of a reach at #8.

OG - David DeCastro. He could start no doubt day 1. He ould also fit in the zone blocking, athletic scheme both Sherman and Philbin seem to prefer.

OT - Riley Reiff, Jonathan Martin
Riley Reiff although an excellent blocker has concerns regarding footwork and lateral movement and may not fit a zone blocking scheme. Jonathan Martin does fit more into a zone blocking scheme, but his pro day was awful and IMO a reach at #8.

The only draftee I can see Ireland selecting at #8 would be David DeCastro, with a QB in rd's 2/3 to develop under Philbin & Sherman. Ireland attempted to sign the more athletic Winston but was unwilling to overpay and Philbin's interview stated that he required better O'line play, which in turn he believes would improve the QB play. I think most would agree, but is this FO spin, getting us ready for our 1st round pick, or this 'plan' he keeps referring to, is it the possibility of a potential trade down.

foozool13
03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
If we pick a OG i will go ****ing insane. Ireland has always said you the most important positions are QB, Corners, and Pass Rushers. I think Ireland will take a pass rusher (Coples or Ingram) since it is a huge need and those players have #8 overall value.

hooshoops
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
imo with ireland it comes down to reiff tannehill and coples...maybe kuechlys in there also...maybe

MRojas4
03-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Please!

Melvin Ingram!!!!!

sinPHIN
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
imo with ireland it comes down to reiff tannehill and coples...maybe kuechlys in there also...maybe
coples will not be the pick. i bet coples falls

Mudder1310
03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I'd love to see a trade down or Kuechly.

normaniii
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Philbin qoute - My feeling is our offensive line needs to get better if our quarterback is to get better," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. "We need to get a handle on what these guys do well and what areas they need to improve upon."

Ireland has always been about the 'solid' pick. Its going to be DeCastro.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
imo with ireland it comes down to reiff tannehill and coples...maybe kuechlys in there also...maybeI would love to see Kuechly, but then it gets pretty tricky trying to fill other needs. But as far as best player and what he could mean to this team and the defense, I would love to have Kuechly. I think the team would have to follow up with a quarterback likely with a trade up.

Roman529
03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
If we can trade down at #8 and pick up another 2nd rounder, this is probably our best option. If not, I would either take Melvin Ingram, or Tannehill (If Sherman feels he is the guy we want to groom to be our franchise QB). Hopefully Moore or Garrard can have a great season.....if we trade down and Weeden slips into the 2nd round, I think that would be another option for us. I don't think we need to draft an o-lineman in the first couple rounds.

normaniii
03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I think we will target - DeCastro, Sanu & Kirk Cousins.

normaniii
03-27-2012, 03:10 PM
If we can trade down at #8 and pick up another 2nd rounder, this is probably our best option. If not, I would either take Melvin Ingram, or Tannehill (If Sherman feels he is the guy we want to groom to be our franchise QB). Hopefully Moore or Garrard can have a great season.....if we trade down and Weeden slips into the 2nd round, I think that would be another option for us. I don't think we need to draft an o-lineman in the first couple rounds.

I dont think Weeden is an option. Philbin continually talks about developing our own guys. With Moore & Gerrard already on roster, I dont see them drafting Weeden to devolop. I can see us picking up Cousins.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont think Weeden is an option. Philbin continually talks about developing our own guys. With Moore & Gerrard already on roster, I dont see them drafting Weeden to devolop. I can see us picking up Cousins.I agree. I don't think Weeden is a great fit for our offense, where the quarterback is going to have to be mobile. If not Tannehill, then I think Cousins is the next target. I think we need to get one of those two.

Tunaphish429
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Oddrick was not a starter right away...He was 1st round draft pick...

JEDIJ007
03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
IT will be another cornfed O-lineman. why cant people see that.

Valandui
03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
If we pick a OG i will go ****ing insane. Ireland has always said you the most important positions are QB, Corners, and Pass Rushers. I think Ireland will take a pass rusher (Coples or Ingram) since it is a huge need and those players have #8 overall value.
DeCastro is the only OL I would be ok with barring a massive trade down.

normaniii
03-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Oddrick was not a starter right away...He was 1st round draft pick...

I said with the INTENTION to start straight away. If you remember when Odrick was drafted, Soliai for Nose was not in picture. They wanted to start Odrick at RE and Starks at nose, but Odrick got injured.

allsilverdreams
03-27-2012, 07:35 PM
If all we did was crap the bed during fa and the front office saying they will bill with the draft then we need to talk the talk and trade back and grab as many picks as we can.

MP-Omnis
03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Assuming the Browns don't take him, why wouldn't we get Trent Richardson? He and Bush out of the backfield would be like the split backs from hell. They could audible into all kinds of stuff too with Bush splitting out and Trent gashing it up the middle.

Dolphin39
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
I would love to see Kuechly, but then it gets pretty tricky trying to fill other needs. But as far as best player and what he could mean to this team and the defense, I would love to have Kuechly. I think the team would have to follow up with a quarterback likely with a trade up.

I agree.

Kuechly would be a great pick, he is awesome!

Dolphin39
03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I dont think Weeden is an option. Philbin continually talks about developing our own guys. With Moore & Gerrard already on roster, I dont see them drafting Weeden to devolop. I can see us picking up Cousins.

I would not take Kirk Cousins. I just don't think he worth drafting.

Thumper1016
03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Trade down and take Fleener IMO.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Trade down and take Fleener IMO.That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. He might have a greater impact than most of the receivers in this draft, especially with the way teams use tight ends now. And Green Bay, with Philibin there, was one of the teams that used a lot of talented tight ends.

j-off-her-doll
03-28-2012, 12:03 AM
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. He might have a greater impact than most of the receivers in this draft, especially with the way teams use tight ends now. And Green Bay, with Philibin there, was one of the teams that used a lot of talented tight ends.

I think you're right that he could have a greater impact than most of the receivers in this draft. I think there's an excellent chance he has more impact than Blackmon or Floyd (the top two), and if that's the case, why would you need to trade down to draft him? I mean, we're talking about OG and RT with the 8th pick. Fleener is a better TE than Reiff is a RT.

Pitbull13
03-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Philbin qoute - My feeling is our offensive line needs to get better if our quarterback is to get better," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. "We need to get a handle on what these guys do well and what areas they need to improve upon."

Ireland has always been about the 'solid' pick. Its going to be DeCastro.

If we pick DeCastro without trading down and I will instantly puke on my new living room rug. :puke:

Oraclepz
03-28-2012, 05:48 AM
I think we will target - DeCastro, Sanu & Kirk Cousins.

I would be all for that draft!

LouPhinFan
03-28-2012, 06:50 AM
There would be way worse picks at #8 than DeCastro.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
I really like the Fleener trade down idea. Maybe a team will covet Richardson or Couples and give us a third to trade up 4 to 5 spots. That "extra" third could be a good WR, OG, or Safety.

Fleener + Zeitler sounds better than DeCastro alone.

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I think the only guy I'd be satisfied with knowing Ireland and his love for linemen and LB's, of who I think will be there at #8, is Luke Kuechly.

To those of you who believe this is a top echelon defense, you're terribly misinformed and don't know what you're watching. This defense consistently gets creamed and torched against playoff caliber offenses (and good QB's), they only look decent against bottom of the barrel offenses led by 3rd string caliber QB's pumping their defensive team stats. Hell, even garbage QB's like Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow go roughshod on this overrated defense in critical 4th quarters. This defense falls apart under any type (or signs) of pressure.

You ever listen to Karlos Dansby speak ? He's a total clown. He cannot lead men. Vontae is dumber than dirt, he can't lead anything. Yeremiah Bell was talked about as being a defensive leader, problem was he's a total introvert and way too soft spoken, he did not have the personality whatsoever. Cam Wake ?? nice player in certain situations, but a leader he is not, nor will he ever be,

This VERY poorly constructed team has no real true leadership within it's roster. Luke Kuechly would bring that much needed leadership to the a$$ clowns on this team, and imo bring the defense to another level. From being merely average and mediocre, to actually being somewhat good and a little more reliable/consistent

Stick Dansby and Burnett on the edges as your OLB's in a 4-3, and stick your leader right smack dab in the middle of your defense. Kuechly = a bigger, stronger, faster Zach Thomas, and who's far better in coverage than Zach ever was (Zach sucked balls in pass coverage, for every nice play Zach made in coverage he got burned 10 times by TE's). Put Koa Misi (another wasted 2nd round pick) where he belongs, on special teams and as a backup. He will never be close to the difference maker that Kuechly will be in the NFL.

The Dolphins totally crapped the bed by not taking Patrick Willis at #9 a few yrs ago. They can redeem themselves by drafting Kuechly, instead of attaining yet another cornfed lineman that won't have close to the same impact as LK will

finfan54
03-28-2012, 07:32 PM
coples will not be the pick. i bet coples falls

i think so too. he basically admitted he took plays off senior year. ay yi yi. sharp tool but he does have the best prototypical size/strength, arm length, yadda yadda yadda. I keep thinking someone like Perry or Branch fall to 42.