PDA

View Full Version : Does wearing a hooded sweatshirt makes someone a thug?

BAMAPHIN 22
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
This is the proverbial question these days.. Did Trayvon Martin deserved to die because he acted "like or looked like a thug?" These are issues that have gone viral in our social media... Is the attention to this incident over hyped. Please share your thoughts...

Locke
03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I wear hoodies as much as anyone else, and I'm a PhD candidate and college professor...

SpurzN703
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Wearing any article of clothing should never invite violence. If the sweatshirt had text on it that was verbally negative toward a race or something I could see that playing into it.

But no, he didn't deserve to die.

Spesh
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Ugh.

For any decent minded human being, wearing a "hoodie" does not make someone a thug. Unless someone is running around wearing something purposefully inciteful people should never be presumed and clasified based solely on appearence.

For anyone with a clearly low IQ who imagined themselves a wanna be cop all the while ignoring the directives from the police, then yes wearing a hoodie makes you a thug.

And yes, the situation is overhyped.

nyjunc
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
why does everyone rush to judge? why can't we allow all the facts to come out?

Gonzo
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd say suits are a bigger indicator of a thug, especially around Wall Street, in courtrooms, and in Washington, D.C.

Dolphins9954
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
The narrative of the story is what bothers me the most. "Zimmerman is racist who chased down a black kid and shot him in cold blood for being black. And the reason he hasn't been charged is because the Sanford police are all racists." That's basically the jest of it.

SpurzN703
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
why does everyone rush to judge? why can't we allow all the facts to come out?

Not sure. I have a select number of African-American friends on FB who are constantly putting up information (support for T.Martin) about this incident. It's as if the case is already over and all of the facts have already been told.

I think it's more about having a hidden mentality that can only be brought out in instances like this. People are either too afraid or don't feel they'll get the support to discuss racial issues such as this and they only come out when a tragedy like this occurs. It shouldn't have to come to this to get the conversation going.

SpurzN703
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
I'd say suits are a bigger indicator of a thug, especially around Wall Street, in courtrooms, and in Washington, D.C.

I dislike people in suits anyway. Hell, those who wear ties too. You better than me b/c you have a suit that looks like every other suit I've ever seen?! :lol:

Gonzo
03-27-2012, 02:59 PM
I dislike people in suits anyway. Hell, those who wear ties too. You better than me b/c you have a suit that looks like every other suit I've ever seen?! :lol:Sadly, I look damn good in a suit and like going out for drinks wearing one. I also like wearing hoodies, fairly often. The secret to my success? I rob liquor stores in my suit and old people in my hoodie. Nobody suspects a thing.

SpurzN703
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Sadly, I look damn good in a suit and like going out for drinks wearing one. I also like wearing hoodies, fairly often. The secret to my success? I rob liquor stores in my suit and old people in my hoodie. Nobody suspects a thing.

Cool story bro

Dogbone34
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
belichick is a thug

Gonzo
03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Cool story broIndeed.

phinfan3411
03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I do not think wearing a hoodie makes you a thug, absolutely not.

Just like another poster said, one of my childhood black friends put up a orlando sentinel link of the 911 calls, and it said specifically that the cries for help were from Trayvon.

I honestly was incensed, how could someone shoot somebody in cold blood while they were screaming for help, and i posted several things along those lines on my Facebook, that was 2-3 days ago.

Now i come to find out that was all BS, and that was Zimmerman screaming for help.

First of all, how can a paper get away with posting something that is so completely wrong?

Second, this is something i will not get out of my mind, i have a young son, sometime in the future, he may get into a fight or two, they happen. Some he may get the better end of, and some he may not, hopefully it will not happen at all.

If i ever found that he was in a fight, was getting the better of the other person, and that person was screaming for help, well, it may be old fashioned, but there would be nothing on earth that would stop me from beating the heck out of him, what a disappointment that would be.

To wrap up this long winded answer, wearing a hoodie does not make you a thug, continuing to beat a person/pound his head into the sidewalk, as he is screaming for someone to help him does make you a thug.

LANGER72
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Hoodies are normal when it is cool outside. When it is 85*, you look improperly dressed for the conditions. Not normal.

Gonzo
04-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Hoodies are normal when it is cool outside. When it is 85*, you look improperly dressed for the conditions. Not normal.

I feel the same way about suits, short shorts on dudes, and camo anything worn outside of actual combat.

TheWalrus
04-13-2012, 02:00 AM
You do have to give credit to the *******s who say this sort of thing, though. They're the same people who say that a woman who walks down a street dressed provocatively at night deserves to get raped.

LANGER72
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I feel the same way about suits, short shorts on dudes, and camo anything worn outside of actual combat.

Camo can be worn while hunting or fishing. It is appropriate.

Suits? You have got to be kidding me.

Hoodies are comfortable. I own several, but I don't wear them everyday of the year. I wear them when it is cool outside.

Gonzo
04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Camo can be worn while hunting or fishing. It is appropriate.

Suits? You have got to be kidding me.

Hoodies are comfortable. I own several, but I don't wear them everyday of the year. I wear them when it is cool outside.Still not appropriate, especially when fishing. With hunting, on the other hand, pixelated optifade camo may have some use. Anything else is just fashion, especially for weenies that hide in trees. Wearing camo in public, however...I'm surprised more people that do haven't been shot for fear of being Deliveranced.

Suits, no, not kidding. They're worn for fashion, nothing more. I have a few awesome suits myself. Most certainly not worn for any utilitarian use, like a hoodie in the cold. A suit is a jacket and pants. In summer? I love my seersucker suit, but it's only summer wear because it's somewhat lighter and more breathable than a wool suit. And ties? No utilitarian purpose, whatsoever. Not since the invention of the button anyways. Suits only serve fashionable purposes, one of which is impressing simple-minded bosses.

Of course, when I was a teenager, none of that mattered. I wore whatever I wanted, which included several hoodies.

MadDog 88
04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
You mean some people are stereotyping young kids for the type of clothing they wear? Really? In America?

SpurzN703
04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
It is a fact that people in surveillance photos of robberies and such are wearing hoodies as they take away from people being able to see their facial features. Obviously not everyone who dons a hoodie is a criminal so it's only half a moot point.

Gonzo
04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
It is a fact that people in surveillance photos of robberies and such are wearing hoodies as they take away from people being able to see their facial features. Obviously not everyone who dons a hoodie is a criminal so it's only half a moot point.
Most of them have guns too. Obviously, not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of rape victims were wearing dresses when it happened. I have no way of proving it, but it wouldn't shock me.

It's all a slippery slope. Regardless, Geraldo is a ****ing idiot.

Locke
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
You mean some people are stereotyping young kids for the type of clothing they wear? Really? In America?

:lol:

SpurzN703
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Most of them have guns too. Obviously, not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of rape victims were wearing dresses when it happened. I have no way of proving it, but it wouldn't shock me.

It's all a slippery slope. Regardless, Geraldo is a ****ing idiot.

Word up

CedarPhin
04-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Profiling is so retarded.

NamathDrunkLove
04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Profiling is so retarded.

Tell that to the FBI, CIA, and pretty much any other federal agency out there.

CedarPhin
04-15-2012, 10:30 PM
It's my opinion, not the start of another pissing contest where you only see what you want.

Who are you? The thought police?

CedarPhin
04-15-2012, 10:44 PM
nm

Locke
04-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Was he really? He had the whole dual-personality thing down pat then. The two were different enough that it didn't even cross my mind that they were the same person...

CedarPhin
04-16-2012, 12:19 AM
No. They're different people.

ohall
04-16-2012, 01:53 AM
If they are walking through my neighborhood, and it is a high break-in neighborhood, if I lived there, yes. The BIGGEST thing to me would be 1st however, I don't know them, why are they in my neighborhood.

For example, if this guy is wearing a business suit with a large hat, and I can't see his face, how he may look, ya my Spider senses wouldn't be up as much. That's what I consider common sense.

The logic some want to follow is this, the Police have no business asking this common sense question. What color is the person you saw? I mean, if you are asking that question, no matter how much sense it may make, you are in fact then, racially profiling, according to some. It's a crazy world.

DeDolfan
04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
This is the proverbial question these days.. Did Trayvon Martin deserved to die because he acted "like or looked like a thug?" These are issues that have gone viral in our social media... Is the attention to this incident over hyped. Please share your thoughts...

It's all about perception.

DeDolfan
04-16-2012, 02:12 PM

You mean like shoplifters wear a long heavy trench coat while shopping at Walmart when it's 95 outside? :D

MadDog 88
04-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Every generation of kids has been viewed as dressing out of the norm or listening to questionable music by older generations. This is no different. It's a stereo type of kids trying to fit in and determine their identity.

LANGER72
04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Every generation of kids has been viewed as dressing out of the norm or listening to questionable music by older generations. This is no different. It's a stereo type of kids trying to fit in and determine their identity.

Those powder blue leisure suits with the ruffled cuffs, or the psychedelic silk shirts always attracted attention back in the 70's...

MadDog 88
04-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Those powder blue leisure suits with the ruffled cuffs, or the psychedelic silk shirts always attracted attention back in the 70's...
And kids were embarrassed to be seen with the parents who wore these :lol: