PDA

View Full Version : Give me impact and leadership for once. Want impact & a leader ?. Draft Kuechly at #8

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Posted this elsewhere today. But since I spent the last week hammering and studying up on all potential candidates for the 8th overall pick ( i was really busy and only had some real time recently), I'll hit a thread on it. I have narrowed it down to the top guy I like (considering Ireland's love for linemen and LB's - and that's if they don't go the QB route via sherman's/philbin's influence).

I think the only guy I'd be satisfied with knowing Ireland and his love for linemen and LB's, of who I think will be there at #8, is Luke Kuechly.

To those of you who believe this is a top echelon defense, you're terribly misinformed and don't know what you're watching. This defense consistently gets creamed and torched against playoff caliber offenses (and good QB's), they only look decent against bottom of the barrel offenses led by 3rd string caliber QB's pumping their defensive team stats. Hell, even garbage QB's like Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow go roughshod on this overrated defense in critical 4th quarters. This defense falls apart under any type (or signs) of pressure.

You ever listen to Karlos Dansby speak ? He's a total clown. He cannot lead men. Vontae is dumber than dirt, he can't lead anything. Yeremiah Bell was talked about as being a defensive leader, problem was he's a total introvert and way too soft spoken, he did not have the personality whatsoever. Cam Wake ?? nice player in certain situations, but a leader he is not, nor will he ever be,

This VERY poorly constructed team has no real true leadership within it's roster. Luke Kuechly would instantly bring that much needed leadership to the a$$ clowns on this team, and imo bring the defense to another level. From being merely average and mediocre, to actually being somewhat good and a little more reliable/consistent

Stick Dansby and Burnett on the edges as your OLB's in a 4-3, and stick your leader right smack dab in the middle of your defense. Kuechly = a bigger, stronger, faster Zach Thomas, and who's far better in coverage than Zach ever was (I love him but Zach sucked balls in pass coverage, for every nice play Zach made in coverage he got burned 10 times by TE's). Put Koa Misi (another wasted 2nd round pick) where he belongs, on special teams and as a backup. He will never be close to the difference maker that Kuechly will be in the NFL.

The Dolphins totally crapped the bed by not selecting Patrick Willis at #9 a few yrs ago. They can redeem themselves by drafting Kuechly, instead of attaining yet another cornfed lineman that won't have close to the same impact as LK will ..

So many other teams and GM's can easily find very good/quality O-Linemen in the mid-rounds or other routes, why the hell can't we do that as well (instead of garbage like Shawn Murphy in the 4th round and John Jerry in the 3rd, Mcquistan, Berger, Columbo, and the like). If we pass on an impact player like Kuechly, who brings so much to the table aside from his immense talent (I'm talking about the never ending list of intangibles he will provide to an NFL team), for another offensive f'in lineman,, I will literally go out there and shoot somebody right between the eyes

LordPicklewagon
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I would be happy to pick keuchly. Especially if we can grab weeden in the 2nd and then grab a couple of receivers in the third.

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Luke Kuechly
40- 4.58
Broad Jump- 123"
Vert- 38"
3 Cone-6.92
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.12

Patrick Willis
40- 4.51
Broad Jump-119"
Vert- 39"
3 Cone- 7.23
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.46

Brian Urlacher
40- 4.59
Broad Jump- 122"
Vert- 34"
3 Cone- 6.94
20 Yard shuttle- 4.18

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Could the Dolphins be lucky enough to have another "Kuech" stud ??

Kuechenberg

Kuechly ?

Bob would be proud, in more ways than one. So would Nick, and Zach, and John

Roman529
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Kuechly...the next Zach Thomas??? I could live with that....Zach wasn't the biggest LB around but could tackle guys from sideline to sideline; His name isn't pronounced Kuech-ly like Kuechenberg....I think it is pronounced Keek-ly....but he is a lot bigger than Zach and he is also a tackling machine.

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
The Leader of the Miami Dolphins Defense for the next 13 years... look no further

on and off the field..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXSfQWM0f3Y

Dogbone34
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
He could be an excellent pick at 8

I'm down to Kuechly or Floyd

CaneHammer
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I like him. I would not be pissed about that at all at 8 even. However, I am still bitter that Dansby showed up this season out of shape.

DKphin
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
I would be thrilled to get Kuechly, but I think Ireland wants a show piece i.e. WR, QB. You know in FA I brought up the fact that we should have brought in Mario Williams(I know it would have been expensive), put Dansby at SOLB, Burnett at WOLB and dropped Kuechly right in the middle. Also shored up the secondary through the draft. It would not have matter that we would have been ordinary on offense, no one would have been able to score on us.

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
I would be thrilled to get Kuechly, but I think Ireland wants a show piece i.e. WR, QB. You know in FA I brought up the fact that we should have brought in Mario Williams(I know it would have been expensive), put Dansby at SOLB, Burnett at WOLB and dropped Kuechly right in the middle. Also shored up the secondary through the draft. It would not have matter that we would have been ordinary on offense, no one would have been able to score on us.

I'd be down with that but this FO has no foresight and no plan. They are a reactionary bunch of bumbling idiots, not a proactive bunch

They panic like a bunch of clowns putting out one fire while 3 other fires pop up,, and do this continuously, instead of doing things properly.

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
The Leader of the Miami Dolphins Defense for the next 13 years... look no further

on and off the field..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXSfQWM0f3Y

Really guys, how can you watch that and not see what a tremendous asset he would be for this organization, both on and off the field. And just as importantly, when you watch that, you quickly realize how bereft and lacking the Dolphins are of such players (and leaders). You cannot put a price on what a player like this brings to a team , and in the locker room (as well as the community).

That there fellas is what teammates follow. Not stupid garbage like Vontae and his antics with Sean Smith guaranteeing they will be the best corner duo in the NFL. Can you picture Kuechly doing something so stupid ? Of course not. When you have real leaders on a team, players don't act so stupid and unfocused. I'm so ashamed to be a fan of this team sometimes as it's a team comprised of idiots, followers, fringe players, plugs, lazy bums, jokers, and losers.

It's nothing like the Dolphins I grew up with. Words cannot describe the difference and it's magnitude. Even when they win a game, how can you truly be happy about it and how can you really be proud when it's a band of fools ? (I'm absolutely THRILLED Brandon Marshall is gone, that's one step in the right direction - as well as the discarding of the unmotivated lazy bum Fat Pig Vernon Carey).

Look what Pennington did that one year as a Leader with no arm. That sh it goes a long way. This team has nothing like that. We need 10 of them.

All Stephen Ross talks about is he wants to bring class to the organization. He talks about class on and off the field. He talks about consistency (consistently being good). Not just quality players, but quality people. and he talks about leaders that players can follow. Just like the team Ross fell in love with in the 1970's, the 70's Dolphins. Those Dolphins were loaded with Kuechly's

What better pick than Kuechly ? It would be the smartest pick the Dolphins have made in a very long time, for a variety of reasons.

This team needs a serious injection of heart and soul. This team has no soul. No leadership. This team so desperately needs real leaders, true winners, and of course top-level talent (who provide "consistent production" year-to-year). And Kuechly has all 3 traits, IN SPADES !

CaneHammer - Kuechly would never show up to camp out of shape like Dansby did.. just another of many reasons why Dansby is a punk, just a joker. If a defense has Dansby the joker as it's leader to follow, they will never be anything special as a unit. Period

Give me Kuechly as the leader calling the plays in the defensive huddle, not Dansby. Let Dansby listen in and try to follow. As that's where he belongs.

EricCartman
03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
would Dansby be a good fit at 4-3 OLB? (I remember that it was his position with the Cardinals, but I am not sure)

or is it possible to trade him (Dansby)?

anyway, I would be happy with Kuechly (I am not a combine expert but the 3-cone & 20 yds shuttle numbers, posted before, are really impressive, even more for a player that before the combine was known for brain, leadership & instincts IIRC)

we could adress the O later (WR class is deep this year, right? or maybe we could trade up for Weeden, I don't know)

PSU Cane
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I would be happy with Kuechly but can't see any possibly way it happens. We have a TON of money invested in our LBs with Dansby/Burnett and need to re-sign Wake.....and still have a ton of holes elsewhere on the team to fill. But you're right, a guy like Kuechly is what we need b/c our defense has NO leaders, period. Jason Taylor made that quite clear last season.

foozool13
03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
would Dansby be a good fit at 4-3 OLB? (I remember that it was his position with the Cardinals, but I am not sure)

or is it possible to trade him (Dansby)?

anyway, I would be happy with Kuechly (I am not a combine expert but the 3-cone & 20 yds shuttle numbers, posted before, are really impressive, even more for a player that before the combine was known for brain, leadership & instincts IIRC)

we could adress the O later (WR class is deep this year, right? or maybe we could trade up for Weeden, I don't know)

Yes, that is exactly what Dansby played and that is where he made his name in the NFL. It will be nice to get him back inot that roll. He is a better fit there then at ILB in a 3-4.

As far as Kuchely goes, he would start immediately in between Dansby and Burnett and send Misi to the bench. I dont mind having Misi be a backup in that situation. He could be a tremendous asset to the team, but drafting him basically means that you give up on Misi or trade him. Adding him would also help our pass rush b/c now we could use Dansby to blitz opposite Wake since Kuechly could be teh tackling machine instead of Dansby. Dansby is a very good blitzer as a 4-3 LB.

We have so many other needs, but I sure as hell would not be upset with him as the pick. I would be very happy with this pick. I dont think he makes it past Philly. I can even see Seattle taking him.

finfan54
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Greyboy;1064268119]I'd be down with that but this FO has no foresight and no plan. They are a reactionary bunch of bumbling idiots, not a proactive bunch

They panic like a bunch of clowns putting out one fire while 3 other fires pop up,, and do this continuously, instead of doing things properly.[COLOR=Silver]

I think you should give Ross a call (he talked to 3 disgruntled fans on the phone the other day), and offer your services to Ireland. Im sure he could use a calming force in their while he freaks out cus he doesnt have his "150 board" set vertically and horizontally.

biggiesmalls3k1
03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
As unsexy as a linebacker in the top-10 seems, I have to completely agree with the OP...Kuechly would be a fantastic pick, the guy would jump right in and be a leader, and he is a playmaker...we've been missing something since Zach and Jason were both here, we could have Kuechly and Wake be the New Age duo...

Unfortunately I see Irish going the safe route with a RT or a DE/OLB...I'd be content with Kuechly, then trading back into the late 1st to grab Weeden, that would make are pretty awesome first 2 picks...instant upgrade at both Captain spots...

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

As unsexy as a linebacker in the top-10 seems, I have to completely agree with the OP...Kuechly would be a fantastic pick, the guy would jump right in and be a leader, and he is a playmaker...we've been missing something since Zach and Jason were both here, we could have Kuechly and Wake be the New Age duo...

Unfortunately I see Irish going the safe route with a RT or a DE/OLB...I'd be content with Kuechly, then trading back into the late 1st to grab Weeden, that would make are pretty awesome first 2 picks...instant upgrade at both Captain spots...

ANUFan
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
I've never seen the guy play is he really that good?

Pinkboy
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I've never seen the guy play is he really that good?

Just like Zach Thomas but much bigger and stronger with a body almost as big as Brian Urlacher.. and also much better in coverage than Zach ever was. Mayock says Kuech is the best zone coverage MLB he has ever seen

Luke Kuechly
40- 4.58
Broad Jump- 123"
Vert- 38"
3 Cone-6.92
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.12

Patrick Willis
40- 4.51
Broad Jump-119"
Vert- 39"
3 Cone- 7.23
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.46

Brian Urlacher
40- 4.59
Broad Jump- 122"
Vert- 34"
3 Cone- 6.94
20 Yard shuttle- 4.18

PJack
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Think he would make an excellent pick. I would think he would fit the bill for Ireland as I think he's a very safe pick. I think there is a very low chance of failure with him. If we can't get a QB on Offense, we may as well get our QB for the defensive side of the ball. I'd prefer this over reaching for Tannehill.

Only other guys I think we'd have an outside shot with at 8 that I would take ahead of Kuechly, is Claiborne and Blackmon. All would be excellent picks but Blackmon might get the nod as a upgrade to an undermanned receiving core if he's on the board. I think there's a strong likelihood the other two go prior to 8 but I'd be very happy with Kuechly as our pick.

kloud_9
03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Well if browns take tannehill,we can probably trade down and get him if one of those blue chippers fall.blackmon etc

oasis
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm down with Kuech.

Him, Blackmon, or Claiborne is who I'd feel good about. I will throw chairs if we draft OL in the first round.

bryan
03-28-2012, 11:26 PM
First, i like Kuechly a great deal and would not be unhappy with the pick.

That said, the Patriots own our division and win the game with Brady throwing the football. It looks like Brady is gonna be around for quite a few more years. The Dolphins first goal should be to win the division. I'm not sure the value is there in a zone coverage MLB. I think your best chance against Brady is the pass rush and for me the best pass rusher in the draft is Nick Perry from USC.

If Tannehill or Weeden are not the picks and you go defense it should be Claiborne or Perry and Claiborne will be gone before #8.

mfish41
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I think Kuechly would be the perfect pick. He's a high character guy, plays hard, athletic, and the fanbase will love the pick. Kuechly is who i've wanted since Luck and RG3 have been out of the picture.

footsteps_falco
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
i would LOVE this move

Awsi Dooger
03-29-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm fully on board with this pick, and surprised Kuechly's name has appeared so seldom in threads debating the #8 pick.

CK had an excellent rundown a few weeks ago, spotlighting Kuechly's dominant effort against the Canes in the season finale. Miami had already lost twice at home as favorites of -13 but those matchups were more troubling than Boston College. Kansas State with the clever young quarterback and innovative stretch read option offense figured to give the Canes fits, and Virginia's run oriented blue collar approach backed by a physical defense also matched up well against the Canes and their weak defensive interior. But I wasn't really worried about 13 point underdog Boston College, a team that ran the ball seldom and not particularly well. Not until Kuechly quickly disrupted Jedd Fisch's short passing game did I sense it would be like so many games in 2010, Jacory Harris forced to look downfield and therefore errors galore. From low upper deck I found myself watching Kuechly play after play, projecting how famous and lauded a throwback player like that would be in a glamor program. In CK's thread I think I described Kuechly as like a one-man Foosball stick. That's exactly what he looked like in that Canes game, sliding to cover the intended passing lane before the play fully developed.

I'm more confident in Philbin every time he speaks. But he lacks advantages that others have stepped into, like an impact quarterback or stadium. A handful of relentless and dedicated team oriented defenders would provide the first vital foundational identity of the new regime and naturally lead to more of the same type being pursued; a contagious revelation after decades of neglecting/forgetting your early '70s heritage.

Greyboy's frustration with the current and recent makeup of our roster is identical to mine. The Dolphin glory era guys were devastated upon every defeat, shell shocked silence. Losing was not tolerated. And after several high profile strays like Don Reese, Darryl Carlton and Randy Crowder, Miami went back to an emphasis on character and passion in the '77 draft, identifying Bob Baumhower and A. J. Duhe. It was a clear cut dividing line, and triggered a second wave that wasn't bad at all, never quite fulfilling a title but guys who really cared. From that point forth, and especially the past 20 years, it's hard for a fan who remembers the '70s to get fully involved, as we draft goofs galore, grinning and otherwise, so many guys who define themselves as less than special in the introductory press conference. Yeremiah Bell, in contrast, is a solid guy but one reason I never particularly cared for him is I remember Dick Anderson and Jake Scott, always taking charge. Scott went to Shula on the sideline late in the '73 Monday nighter against Pittsburgh to suggest the intentional safety while leading 30-24.

The current defense is laughably overstated. I have to shake my head when we are desribed as top 6 or top 10. Go back to midseason for a more realistic appraisal. Once you start 0-7 nothing subsequent really matters and can be taken at face value.

Granted, I don't follow the draft closely enough anymore to gauge Kuechly's estimated worth, the range he's projected to be selected. I have an opinion on some guys from Miami, USC and their recent opponents but several years ago I realized I was dabbling in the draft too much during this point of the year, and sacrificing betting focus in basketball and golf. It was a profitable wake up call but I do miss knowing who the heck these guys are.

Roman529
03-29-2012, 02:05 AM
For those of you wanting to take Kuechly at #8, would you then want to take Weeden or Cousins in Round 2, or just pass on a QB this year, and stick with Moore/Garrard for 2012???

Pinkboy
03-29-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm fully on board with this pick, and surprised Kuechly's name has appeared so seldom in threads debating the #8 pick.

CK had an excellent rundown a few weeks ago, spotlighting Kuechly's dominant effort against the Canes in the season finale. Miami had already lost twice at home as favorites of -13 but those matchups were more troubling than Boston College. Kansas State with the clever young quarterback and innovative stretch read option offense figured to give the Canes fits, and Virginia's run oriented blue collar approach backed by a physical defense also matched up well against the Canes and their weak defensive interior. But I wasn't really worried about 13 point underdog Boston College, a team that ran the ball seldom and not particularly well. Not until Kuechly quickly disrupted Jedd Fisch's short passing game did I sense it would be like so many games in 2010, Jacory Harris forced to look downfield and therefore errors galore.

From low upper deck I found myself watching Kuechly play after play, projecting how famous and lauded a throwback player like that would be in a glamor program.

In CK's thread I think I described Kuechly as like a one-man Foosball stick. That's exactly what he looked like in that Canes game, sliding to cover the intended passing lane before the play fully developed. .

A Man amongst boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZdule1wqBI

Doctor Phibes
03-29-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm not really up on the draft prospects but I agree 100% with OP's views on the make up of our roster

The lack of leadership (especially on defense) is a huge concern. Dansby might be a great athlete but as far as the intangibles go he makes Crowder look like Singletary. Your big earners should be the guys that drag the rest of the team up to their level and demand perfection. Instead with Dansby we get a guy that comes into camp fat and consequently plays like Akin Ayodele for half a season

Fin Thirteen
03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd find it hard to pick fault with taking him at 8, for the reasons already given. But I also agree with Bryan. He's a huge asset defending the spread offense and maybe even WCO. Will his undoubted skillset be as relevant to victory facing a more vertical offense, which will be the majority of games he plays in?

I couldn't complain with the selection but we may not get quite the same value from him as his talents suggest.

Ingram seems to have both talent and leadership potential, though I worry he'll struggle to shed NFL blockers. Tannehill's leadership has been praised, but you won't get any benefit from it next season, as he won't start.

There arent many other obvious leader candidates at #8 that I know of.

Zounds
03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd be happy with Kuechly at #8

HybridPHIN 23
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
its pronounced "keek-ly" guys...... i think this is one of, if not the best pick we could make, for the reasons OP mentioned.

Kdawg954
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
My biggest knock on Keuchly was I didn't know if he was a "great" athlete. His combine destroyed that notion and backs the player that you see on film.

My only comment is . . . if you take a MLB in the top 10, you better make sure he has HOF ability. MLB's don't get taken that high, and tend to be filled later on in the draft. We already have 2 solid OLB's, you just need a tackle machine in the middle. 8th overall is still a bit high but I know I'm getting a real solid player. I'd definitely take Keuchly over any linemen, Fleener, TRich, short height/armed pass rushers and a reach of a QB with the reasoning "it will satisfy the fanbase". I don't know if I'm ready to give up on Misi and a switch inside just yet.

Still I'd wanna check out any top flight DB's, WR's or QB's I felt had that "franchise trait/ability", or a pass rusher that had good size and ability. Keuchly definitely deserves to be in the conversation tho.

Manti Te'o will be in the next draft if Misi can't deliver this year, personally I still like Michael Floyd at 8.

Pinkboy
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
If Cleveland drafts Tannehill, which looks like a possibility. Dont forget that Dansby had some good years rushing the passer from the OLB position in a 4-3 while at Arizona. He can rush from the edge on occasional blitzes. Sticking Kuechly in the middle and Dansby outside (taking that piece of crap Koa Misi out of the lineup) improves 2 positions

SF Dolphin Fan
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Great post. It's a move that makes so much sense for a defense that, honestly, isn't really that good. Plus you have to look at the age of both Dansby and Burnett and realize this position needs some young guys who can play. I absolutely love Kuechly and what he would add to the team.