PDA

View Full Version : Tannehill runs a 4.6/40 at pro day

phinatic1399
03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Those looking to get a close look at Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill were on hand at the schoolís pro day on Thursday and the quarterback did not disappoint early on, running a 4.62-second 40-yard dash. Tannehill only ran once.
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, along with GM Jeff Ireland, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and a large contingent from the Cleveland Browns, including offensive coordinator Brad Childress, were among the personnel on hand from 21 teams.
Tannehill will run a scripted workout coordinated by Chris Weinke, former NFL QB who has been training Tannehill recently.
A&M players Jeff Fuller and Cyrus Gray will serve as Tannehillís receivers.
Tannehillís reps presented everyone at the workout with a binder that contained all of his medical background.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/29/tannehill-runs-4-62-40-yard-dash-at-texas-am-pro-day/?module=HP11_cp

kloud_9
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Where the hell can I watch this...they have everyone else on t.v except this pro day!

fishbanger
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
That is a good run but I think with time and being in better shape he can run closer to 4.5. Remember he is coming off a broken foot and I am sure Sherman and philbin know how fast he can really run.

matt11390
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Man Cleveland is going to pick him, I just know it :err:

kloud_9
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Man Cleveland is going to pick him, I just know it :err: hell yeah...oh well.

phinatic1399
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
That is a good run but I think with time and being in better shape he can run closer to 4.5. Remember he is coming off a broken foot and I am sure Sherman and philbin know how fast he can really run

rotoworld reported that he clocked in at 4.59 on his first attempt

Scotty P
03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Man Cleveland is going to pick him, I just know it :err:

I have the same feeling. That, or they are bluffing and trying to get us to trade up with them. One thing for sure though.......they need a WR and RB just as bad. I cant imagine they would pass on Richardson.

elite14eva
03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
bye bye tanny.

phinatic1399
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I have the same feeling. That, or they are bluffing and trying to get us to trade up with them. One thing for sure though.......they need a WR and RB just as bad. I cant imagine they would pass on Richardson.

He ran a 4.5/40 and threw the ball very well, I think cleveland will take em

ROADRUNNER
03-29-2012, 12:54 PM
draft forum

ckparrothead
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Tannehill was told he got a 4.58, scouts had him in the high 4.5's to low 4.6's.

The foot surgery clearly impacted his training regimen to get ready for. Don't get me wrong, this was a good run for him, but he's capable of more. Not that it matters a whole heap because he doesn't yet have the feel it takes to know when and how to best use those feet to hurt a defense. But, it's part of the upside argument.

Everything you need to know about his speed on the field can be seen on this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfAUxWP2VU

He flat outruns the entire Oklahoma State secondary, including Markelle Martin, who is reported to be in the high 4.4's when healthy (knee hasn't been healthy, so he hasn't run yet). At the end, he and Martin get into what you would probably think of in the horse racing world as a duel, and Tannehill wins the duel. If that 4.61 is Tannehill's true time, which I don't think it is, then Martin is only a 4.61 guy as well, IMO.

MDFINFAN
03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Tannehill was told he got a 4.58, scouts had him in the high 4.5's to low 4.6's.

The foot surgery clearly impacted his training regimen to get ready for. Don't get me wrong, this was a good run for him, but he's capable of more. Not that it matters a whole heap because he doesn't yet have the feel it takes to know when and how to best use those feet to hurt a defense. But, it's part of the upside argument.

Everything you need to know about his speed on the field can be seen on this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfAUxWP2VU

He flat outruns the entire Oklahoma State secondary, including Markelle Martin, who is reported to be in the high 4.4's when healthy (knee hasn't been healthy, so he hasn't run yet). At the end, he and Martin get into what you would probably think of in the horse racing world as a duel, and Tannehill wins the duel. If that 4.61 is Tannehill's true time, which I don't think it is, then Martin is only a 4.61 guy as well, IMO.

What do you think CK, is T worth the no. 8 pick or is he more\should be a no.12 or lower?

LikeUntoGod
03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
How far can he pee?

ckparrothead
03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
What do you think CK, is T worth the no. 8 pick or is he more\should be a no.12 or lower?

Legitimately, Ryan Tannehill would have ranked higher last year for me than Christian Ponder (who was my #3 of 4 in first round), higher than Blaine Gabbert (who was my #4 of 4 in first round)...and it would have been a tough call between he and Ryan Mallett (who was my #2 of 4 in first round). That call would have had to be system specific. In Brian Daboll's offense, edge might have gone to Ryan Mallett. In Joe Philbin's and Mike Sherman's offense, edge definitely goes to Ryan Tannehill.

I say go for it. No balls, no glory. Every year you don't know what you're doing at long term franchise QB is another year your team spends rudderless and losing. Get your hands dirty and go for it. The only way to be sure to lose is not to play.

When Greg Cosell says that Ryan Tannehill throws better on the run even than Robert Griffin and Andrew Luck, I fully agreed with that. It's what I was thinking as well. And in certain schemes (ours being one of them) that skill is worth its weight in gold. REALLY difficult as a defense when you can be that multiple. You'll see the benefits of it in a consistent ground game which may not have been as consistent otherwise.

And as far as managing the pocket, Tannehill is far better at it than Robert Griffin. He doesn't do it the same way Brandon Weeden does, but he does it almost as effectively...and this is one of the aspects of Weeden's game I love.

What I like about Tannehill also is there's meat on the bone because he doesn't yet have a feel for how and when to hurt defenses with his legs. Joe Philbin's offense was EXPERT in getting both Matt Flynn and Aaron Rodgers to have a good feel for that. They run all kinds of drills in their practices to help their quarterbacks get a feel for exactly that, and help get the receivers on the same page with it. Jon Gruden once said he's never seen so much time spent on that aspect of the game as he did at Packers practice.

This stuff about lack of anticipation, it's overdone. I see him throwing with anticipation all the time. All the time. Tons of throws where he's putting the ball out while the receiver's bakc is still to him. In fact, it gets him in trouble because some of those receivers weren't very reliable coming out of their breaks. Some would slip and fall, and the ball is already out, and there you have the perfect recipe for an interception. Sometimes they just wouldn't come out of the break cleanly or with urgency, and the ball's already in the air, again perfect recipe for a pick. A lot of times the ball is on them so fast after the break they drop it. The TAMU receivers dropped 64 balls this year. If you look at completion-to-drop averages in the NFL, that would have been more like 33 drops in an average NFL offense, bumping Tannehill's completion up to 67% or so, increasing his YPA, more TDs, etc.

I think what Tannehill does that you need to work on him with is get married to what he thinks is going to happen and then force the football. Typical young behavior. He also is rough around the edges on his touch throws, short throws, again typical young quarterback behavior. He's not as sharp at reading subtle pre-snap movements as Brandon Weeden.

Ultimately I like Brandon Weeden more as a quarterback right now. But there's something to be said for Weeden being 28 at the start of the season while Tannehill will be 24. It's not a slam dunk to take Weeden above Tannehill. It's something I would probably struggle with.

But I would take either at #8. Because of my liking of both, I would probably steer toward trading down, catching some value, and scooping up the one that didn't get taken.

Austin Tatious
03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
The problem I have is the notion that Miami picking Tannehill is obvious. So, if you are Andy Reid and really want him, you give Jax your 2013 number one and another couple of picks and you go get your quarterback for the next decade. Philly, Dallas, KC, heck even Seattle or Buffalo might be interested in getting ahead of Miami. This is the predicament Miami puts itself in when you are desperate for a qb year after year.

Dominate
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Great post CK. I really like Tannehill, with Weeden as my 2nd choice. But really, if looking at the age factor...If Weeden is polished enough that he only needs 1 season to sit and learn, he will be 29 when he starts. I think Tannehill has more upside but is not as polished as Weeden. So, if Tanny needs to sit 2 seasons before taking over he will be 26. Really only 3 seasons difference.

Just may be splitting hairs...If either turn out to be the franchise QB I think they can, you have Weeden in his prime for 7-8 seasons or Tanny for 10-11. After our incredibly long franchise QB drought, I would be thrilled with either option!

ckparrothead
03-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Great post CK. I really like Tannehill, with Weeden as my 2nd choice. But really, if looking at the age factor...If Weeden is polished enough that he only needs 1 season to sit and learn, he will be 29 when he starts. I think Tannehill has more upside but is not as polished as Weeden. So, if Tanny needs to sit 2 seasons before taking over he will be 26. Really only 3 seasons difference.

Just may be splitting hairs...If either turn out to be the franchise QB I think they can, you have Weeden in his prime for 7-8 seasons or Tanny for 10-11. After our incredibly long franchise QB drought, I would be thrilled with either option!

I think that's a good way to look at it.

TheWalrus
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
The only way to be sure to lose is not to play.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
The WOPR disagrees.

:D

Valandui
03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
The problem I have is the notion that Miami picking Tannehill is obvious. So, if you are Andy Reid and really want him, you give Jax your 2013 number one and another couple of picks and you go get your quarterback for the next decade. Philly, Dallas, KC, heck even Seattle or Buffalo might be interested in getting ahead of Miami. This is the predicament Miami puts itself in when you are desperate for a qb year after year.
I completely agree. Everyone also knows that we aren't a threat to trade up as well.