PDA

View Full Version : Tannehill has all the makings of another epic fail for us..

PFC
03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Please let's not get too excited and ahead of ourselves AGAIN... This place has become just too painful to follow with all the names being thrown around that are "linked" with us, only in the end to bail and leave us empty handed..I am afraid it won't be any different here, I'd love to be wrong, but considering all the recent rejections we have suffered, how can you be more positive?

Just start getting used to Matt Moore already.

OyeDale305
03-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Tannehill.. but I would like for us to get a WR like Floyd or trade for Blackmon.

Kdawg954
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Well technically Tannehill won't "bail" the Dolphins.

He will either A. Get drafted before we pick / B. We pass on him if he is still available / C. Become the first Miami Dolphins first round QB since Dan Marino

arammell
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I would prefer to go snag Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon and worry about QB later on in the draft. If we invest the #8 in a QB we will have way too much pressure to start at first sign of trouble or right away.

oasis
03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I would prefer to go snag Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon and worry about QB later on in the draft. If we invest the #8 in a QB we will have way too much pressure to start at first sign of trouble or right away.

Agreed, but I don't think Ireland + Philbin are going to value #1 alpha-type receivers in this new offense.  Instead of taking a WR in the first round, they will probably take two in rounds 2-4.  So who does that leave for round 1 besides a QB?  Claiborne if he's there (no way in hell), possibly a pass-rusher such as Coples, but more likely a trade-back and pick up of either Fleener or Kuechly in the mid-first.

LikeUntoGod
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
What was his other "epic fall"?

Or are you saying that OMG, Tannehill fell all the way to number eight!

Adam Strange
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this plan? :rolleyes2:

Penthos
03-29-2012, 04:57 PM
It doesn't matter. IMO Miami HAS TO ROLL THE DICE with the BEST QB available every draft until we find our franchise QB. It's as simple as that.

rent this space
03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Please let's not get too excited and ahead of ourselves AGAIN... This place has become just too painful to follow with all the names being thrown around that are "linked" with us, only in the end to bail and leave us empty handed..I am afraid it won't be any different here, I'd love to be wrong, but considering all the recent rejections we have suffered, how can you be more positive?

Just start getting used to Matt Moore already.if the Dolphins draft him, how can he bail?

oasis
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
if the Dolphins draft him, how can he bail?

Flame out and play baseball?

Pitbull13
03-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I actually want us to draft him. He WON'T bail because this is the best place for him. He is familiar with the OC Sherman and will be running the same offense he ran in college.

Kinzua
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Tannehill is a 2nd round prospect being touted as a Top 5/Top 10 prospect by the supposed draft "experts", none of whom actually work for any NFL team, and some of whom have never had any connection whatsoever with NFL teams other than as journalists. The only reason Tannehill is being hyped is because these kind of "experts" love QBs in the draft, and after Luck and Griffin, there's nobody else. Barkley stayed in school. Wilson is too short.

Miamibyrd
03-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Moore is our qb untill we find someone else better. The word in the street is Moore is ready, remember.

Mage_Phin
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Tannehill is a 2nd round prospect being touted as a Top 5/Top 10 prospect by the supposed draft "experts", none of whom actually work for any NFL team, and some of whom have never had any connection whatsoever with NFL teams other than as journalists. The only reason Tannehill is being hyped is because these kind of "experts" love QBs in the draft, and after Luck and Griffin, there's nobody else. Barkley stayed in school. Wilson is too short.

Words all over Twitter is that NFL scouts have considered Tannehill a mid 1st round prospect for a long time. He'll probably get taken earlier than he should be, but that's the supply and demand of QBs in this league.

Danny
03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't believe he'll be there at 8 as I think the Browns will take him and if they pass on him I believe another team will trade up to 7 and take him there. If for some reason he's still there at we still might not take him but if we do take him, I believe we'd have found our long time QB of the future. Hard to be optimistic tho after everything that has gone on this off season but we're due for a good break.

Ozzy rules!!

PFC
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't mean he would say no, but that by the time the 8th pick comes around he'll be gone..

finfan54
03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
if you think fin fans are angry and pissy, just wait until the browns draft tannehill at 4. OMG!

I work with a guy from Erie PA who is a Browns fan. He not happy, and Tannehill is not working for him, especially since the entire browns fandom is talking the same prospects as we are on here.

And just to keep an open mind, what team is willing to trade up with picks to take Tannehill? KC, Buffalo? A guy who wont play until 2013? I think we sit at the best spot without giving up anything. Everything else is just talk.

fishbanger
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
you never know. I take him if hes there and I trade down if he is not. Other picks that will be available also come with unknowns like Coples. The Man child who only got 7.5 sacka las year againts easy competition and is seen on film as a walker if play goes the other way. Lots of pass rushers in the draft, lots of WRs, lots of OL and too high for a TE.

Of course if Richardson is there I take him in a second unless someone gives you a great deal. I say if you cant find the QB in the first round then take your franchise back and run over people with richardson and bush until you find the franchise QB. Bush can play WR too.

Dolfandenny
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
I doubt Tannehill will be there for us at #8. Too many ahead of us who would want him.

PBay Fin Fan
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
He should be there at 8. I watched the film of his pro day, he looked pretty impressive.

J Tes
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Actually you're wrong. Its the "draftniks" that say Tannehill isn't worthy of a high pick and is a second round prospect. Tannehill is very highly thought of by the NFL

finfan54
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Tannehills biggest knock is experience and not winning big games in 4th quarter.

2 thoughts on that IMO.

1) He wont be starting for us this year. He sits and learns the offense he already knows at NFL speed.
2) College ball particularly at A&M vs. top notch teams is not the same as projecting into the NFL.

He has the tools and the character, work ethic and smarts. Those things are important to me in order to become a great QB over time.

Thats why we can afford to draft him at 8. Because he will be our future and he fits into this offense.

LikeUntoGod
03-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Actually you're wrong. Its the "draftniks" that say Tannehill isn't worthy of a high pick and is a second round prospect. Tannehill is very highly thought of by the NFL

Who is "the NFL"?

Phanatical
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
It doesn't matter. IMO Miami HAS TO ROLL THE DICE with the BEST QB available every draft until we find our franchise QB. It's as simple as that.

Exactly. Until they start drafting some potential franchise QB's, they will never have one. I would rather draft one and whiff, then never draft one at all.

LikeUntoGod
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Cleveland offered both of their 1st round picks and more to move up to get RG3. They will take Tannehill and they will be able to sit him and save Mike Holmgren's job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/holmgren-gripes-about-griffin-trade/

Phanatical
03-29-2012, 10:23 PM

That would make sense if there weren't so many coaches and GM's (that actually work for NFL teams) at Tannehill's pro day workout.

maralieus
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
I would prefer to go snag Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon and worry about QB later on in the draft. If we invest the #8 in a QB we will have way too much pressure to start at first sign of trouble or right away.Yeah i remember last time we did that it worked out awesome. we ended up with Ginn and Beck. writing that right there made me feel real sad.

iwastherein72
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I think we need to be talking to the Vikings.

Moving from 8 to 3 can't be all that tough to do with the plethora of picks ireland has amassed like they were Monopoly houses and hotels LOL.

We will NEVER get a franchise QB unless we abandon the idea of "letting one fall to us". There are 31 other teams out there and they all want one too. We are going to have to go after who we want, regardless of the cost. None of those other 31 teams are trying to get Weeden or Osweiler so they don't think either of those 2 guys are a true Franchise QB.

fishbanger
03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
I dont think dolphins can afford to pick up draftpicks anymore. they wont trade up but if Richardson were to fall to us and I dont think that will happen then that would be Super!

I dont think anyone other then Richardson has the chance to fall to #8. If no Tannehill and no richardson its OK to trade down in my opinion. Theres a few other QBs that are also good.

TakeoSpikesNeck
03-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Or he has the chance to become our franchise guy. Don't put that one past us either.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 01:07 AM
To me this draft could either go really well or we could get really unlucky... I just don't want it to end up like this

1. luck
2. rg3
3. kalil
4. tannehill
5. Claiborne/blackmon/richardson
6. Blackmon/claiborne/richardson
7. Richardson/blackmon/claiborne

Basically I really don't want the Browns to take tannehill and then the next 3 teams to take claiborne,blackmon, and richardson.

That would leave us with a BPA of probably Coples... who I really want to avoid. other possibilities include ingram, Reiff, Decastro, etc.

If this happens I honestly want us to take Floyd... Although my best guess is the team will take Reiff or Decastro if this happens. This is the worst possible board for the fins imo

fishbanger
03-30-2012, 02:12 AM
JAGS wont draft Richardson. They have Maurice Drew one of the best Runners in the NFL. They will try to trade him though if he falls to seven. Anyone elsethe JAGs draft. They would love Claiborne to fall to them too.

arammell
03-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah i remember last time we did that it worked out awesome. we ended up with Ginn and Beck. writing that right there made me feel real sad.

I was thinking to move back some and take Floyd unless by a miracle Blackmon falls to us. I don't think Weeden is the next John Beck. Ginn was just a terrible pick altogether

BlueFin
03-30-2012, 02:51 AM
This is exactly the type of thinking which has led to the last 12 years of failure.....keep passing on young QB prospects in round one....pathetic!

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
This is exactly the type of thinking which has led to the last 12 years of failure.....keep passing on young QB prospects in round one....pathetic!

What "young QB prospects in round one" have the Fins passed on that they realistically had a chance to take? I mean, ones that actually worked out. Aside from possibly Rodgers in 2005 (whom almost everybody passed on) and Ryan (whom most think was a reach at #3), who else?

arammell
03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
What "young QB prospects in round one" have the Fins passed on that they realistically had a chance to take? I mean, ones that actually worked out. Aside from possibly Rodgers in 2005 (whom almost everybody passed on) and Ryan (whom most think was a reach at #3), who else?

Do you know how many first round drafted QB's have won the superbowl in the history of the NFL...14!!!

1. Joe Namath
2. Bob Griese
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Jim Plunkett
5. Jim McMahon
6. Phil Simms
7. Doug Williams
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. John Elway
11. Trent Dilfer
12. Ben Roethlisberger
13. Peyton Manning
14. Eli Manning

Not to say there won't be more, but let's stop acting like the Dolphins have passed up Superbowl wins because of their lack of drafting QB's in the first round!

SpurzN703
03-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Just start getting used to Matt Moore already.

Based completely on nothing too....

Austin Tatious
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Do you know how many first round drafted QB's have won the superbowl in the history of the NFL...14!!!

1. Joe Namath
2. Bob Griese
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Jim Plunkett
5. Jim McMahon
6. Phil Simms
7. Doug Williams
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. John Elway
11. Trent Dilfer
12. Ben Roethlisberger
13. Peyton Manning
14. Eli Manning

Not to say there won't be more, but let's stop acting like the Dolphins have passed up Superbowl wins because of their lack of drafting QB's in the first round!

Over half of the super bowl winners have been quarterbacked by first round qb's.

fishbanger
03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I hate to tell you that many of those super bowl qb first round picks won multiple super bowls so you better count again. Your case is way off.

Rothlisberber won it 2 times and has been there 3 pr 4 times. Eli 2 times and maybe more to come. Elway 2 times but was there 5 times. Bradshaw won it 4 times. Griese won it twice and was there 3 times. Payton has been their twice. Aikman won it 3 times.
Marino got there once and lost. You also need to count all the ones that got there and lost. Jim Kelly got there four times and lost.
You are way off. Much much more then 14.

I think Staubach was a first round pick. He spent time in the Navy or if not for the navy easy first round pick.

rent this space
03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
It's true, more Super Bowl winners come from the first round than any where else

Geforce
03-31-2012, 12:11 PM
I hate to tell you that many of those super bowl qb first round picks won multiple super bowls so you better count again. Your case is way off.

Rothlisberber won it 2 times and has been there 3 pr 4 times. Eli 2 times and maybe more to come. Elway 2 times but was there 5 times. Bradshaw won it 4 times. Griese won it twice and was there 3 times. Payton has been their twice. Aikman won it 3 times.
Marino got there once and lost. You also need to count all the ones that got there and lost. Jim Kelly got there four times and lost.
You are way off. Much much more then 14.

I think Staubach was a first round pick. He spent time in the Navy or if not for the navy easy first round pick.
Roger Staubach was a 10th round pick.

J. David Wannyheimer
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM

1. Joe Namath
2. Bob Griese
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Jim Plunkett
5. Jim McMahon
6. Phil Simms
7. Doug Williams
8. Troy Aikman
9. Steve Young
10. John Elway
11. Trent Dilfer
12. Ben Roethlisberger
13. Peyton Manning
14. Eli Manning

How many did Bradshaw win? Griese? Aikman? Elway? Roethlisberger? Eli? I'd probably lump Simms in there too. He got 'em there.

I don't think you made the argument you wanted to make.

Clipse
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
How many did Bradshaw win? Griese? Aikman? Elway? Roethlisberger? Eli? I'd probably lump Simms in there too. He got 'em there.

I don't think you made the argument you wanted to make.

28 combined for all those first round QB's. 28 out of 46. I'd say the odds are much, much better of winning a SB with a 1st round QB.

Etuoo33
03-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Now the pundits are even talking Osweiler being a first round pick after his pro day. Will it never end? Come on April 26.

fishbanger
03-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Also tried to make the point that lots of first round picks also made it to the Super Bowl and lost like Jim Kelly 4 times.

I may have been wrong about staubach but he was a 10th round pick becasue he went into the Navy for four years. Staubach was the Weeden of his time and Weeden will be a 1 or 2 round pick.

DevilInPgh
04-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Also tried to make the point that lots of first round picks also made it to the Super Bowl and lost like Jim Kelly 4 times.

I may have been wrong about staubach but he was a 10th round pick becasue he went into the Navy for four years. Staubach was the Weeden of his time and Weeden will be a 1 or 2 round pick.

Staubach was also not counted on to start immediately. When he was drafted, Dandy Don Meredith was still in his prime. And even when Staubach came into the league, Craig Morton was already in place as the starter, so Staubach sat on the bench for 2 years. Weeden doesn't have that luxury, so if you take him, you gotta throw him immediately into the fire.

Krush
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Give the kid a break, we talk about RGIII and Luck so much that we think that they're the only one has talent, Well!!!! news flash they ain't coming here, what i see of Tannehill this kid has talent, and although he may need to be coached up a bit I pick him in a NewYork minute if he was thier at 8. You experts don't like any moves the fins make any way big or small.

Mcganiel
04-01-2012, 08:59 AM
tanehill

Krush
04-01-2012, 09:08 AM
7 of those Qb's won the superbowl with better Teams not with the celler dwellers that choose them.

Adam Strange
04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Staubach was the Weeden of his time and Weeden will be a 1 or 2 round pick.
Staubach was not the Weeden of his time; Weeden doesn't even belong in the same conversation as Staubach. Staubach was a Heisman trophy winner and was voted into the College Football Hall of Fame. He's also consistently ranked as one of the best college football players of all time. Weeden isn't and shouldn't be. The only reason Staubach was drafted so late was because he would be unable to play in the NFL immediately due to his military commitment.

The only thing Weeden's got in common with Staubach is that he'll also be older than usual when he takes his first snap in a pro game.

Marino420TD
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Since 2005... these are 1st round QB's that we could have taken - 5 guys. 3 are way better than anything we have or have had on the roster. Campbell is either equal or marginally better than what we have had. Quinn is probably a bit worse than our best over that period. Those are actually pretty good odds if we had the balls.
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Brady Quinn
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

fishbanger
04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
you left out Dalton #35 pick last year. He is much better then what we have now.

jlfin
04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Since 2005... these are 1st round QB's that we could have taken - 5 guys. 3 are way better than anything we have or have had on the roster. Campbell is either equal or marginally better than what we have had. Quinn is probably a bit worse than our best over that period. Those are actually pretty good odds if we had the balls.
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Brady Quinn
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

Campbell and Quinn are career backup types and I would argue that Garrard has a better resume' than the 2 combined. Ryan and Flacco haven't distinguished themselves as elite QB's yet, whereas Jake Long has established himself as an elite player at his position.
Keep in mind, when Flacco came out, there were concerns about his level of competition. He was drafted on potential and based on his pro day (similar to Tannehill).
Dalton was a bit of a surprise, but looks more like game manager with a limited ceiling. Nice, solid player, but unlikely to achieve elite status. The Phins should be aiming higher than that.