PDA

View Full Version : My "GM for a day" mock

Fin Thirteen
03-29-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm not trying to second guess our FO. This is where I'm leaning at the moment, if I was in the war room. No trades. I'll probably do it totally different tomorrow, but I like this draft a lot. You may think very differently!

1. Courtney Upshaw Alabama DE or Whitney Mercilus  Illinois DE
I really like both these guys. Upshaw's is my preference, though I'd need to see whether his drills are genuinely affected by tendinitis, because the numbers underline a concern over explosiveness. Yes, 8 is high for the generally accepted grade on these two, but I think Upshaw's in particular is worth it.

2. Reuben Randle LSU WR
The most underrated WR in the upper rounds and a great fit for the WCO.High character, hard working kid with lots of upside to go with good speed, sticky hands and great route running.

3a. Josh Robinson UCF CB or Dwight Bentley ULL CB
Robinson is a great value pick in the early third. If Robinson doesn't make it to here, my backup is Bentley. Either of these could thrive at nickel and are both creeping up draft boards.

3b. Russell Wilson Wisconsin QB
If you have the balls to tailor your offense to this guy, you may just have the next Brees. If his height is such an issue, how does he have so few pick and batted balls? He will reward the brave GM in spades.

4. James Brown Troy OT/OG
Spread offense lineman with good athleticism, used to zone blocking. Not a big guy but could bulk up.

5. Michael Egnew TE Missouri
Big athletic guy with decent pace, good hands, who isn't the shabbiest blocker either

6. Delano Howell SS Stanford
Underrated, Solid cerebral safety with good character

7. JK Shaffer Cincinnati ILB Small but productive backer

ROADRUNNER
03-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm not trying to second guess our FO. This is where I'm leaning at the moment, if I was in the war room. No trades. I'll probably do it totally different tomorrow, but I like this draft a lot. You may think very differently!

1. Courtney Upshaw Alabama DE or Whitney Mercilus Illinois DE
I really like both these guys. Upshaw's is my preference, though I'd need to see whether his drills are genuinely affected by tendinitis, because the numbers underline a concern over explosiveness. Yes, 8 is high for the generally accepted grade on these two, but I think Upshaw's in particular is worth it.

2. Reuben Randle LSU WR
The most underrated WR in the upper rounds and a great fit form the WCO. high character hard working kid with lots of upside to go with good speed, sticky hands and great route running.

3a. Josh Robinson UCF CB or Dwight Bentley ULL CB
Robinson is a great value pick in the early third. If Robinson doesn't make it to here, my backup is Bentley. Either of these could thrive at nickel and are both creeping up draft boards.

3b. Russell Wilson Wisconsin QB
If you have the balls to tailor your offense to this guy, you may just have the next Brees. If his height is such an issue, how does he have so few pick and batted balls? He will reward the brave GM in spades.

4. James Brown Troy OT/OG
Spread offense lineman with good athleticism, used to zone blocking. Not a big guy but could bulk up.

5. Michael Egnew TE Missouri
Big athletic guy with decent pace, good hands, who isn't the shabbiest blocker either

6. Delano Howell SS Stanford
Underrated, Solid cerebral safety with good character

7. JK Shaffer Cincinnati ILB Small but productive backer

i THINK HE'S STARTING TO MOVE UP PEOPLE'S BOARDS............

WaxOn WaxOff
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
That is a horrible draft. Just horrible. Where to start.... Upshaw is fine to start, IF it's Upshaw. The other is a major reach at 8. DE/OLB is a strength in this draft, there are about 6 that are close to equal after the top two. Randle doesnt seperate from the multitude of 2nd-3rd rd WRs of which there are many. Russell Wilson? Puh-leeze. If he had stayed at NC State NOBODY would be talking about him now. I might bing him in for a FA tryout. He might make a decent special teams player. But not an NFL QB.

Fin Thirteen
03-30-2012, 03:08 AM
That is a horrible draft. Just horrible. Where to start.... Upshaw is fine to start, IF it's Upshaw. The other is a major reach at 8. DE/OLB is a strength in this draft, there are about 6 that are close to equal after the top two. Randle doesnt seperate from the multitude of 2nd-3rd rd WRs of which there are many. Russell Wilson? Puh-leeze. If he had stayed at NC State NOBODY would be talking about him now. I might bing him in for a FA tryout. He might make a decent special teams player. But not an NFL QB.

Tell me what you really think!

Have to disagree with you on Randle. Kid may go in the first with his blend of size speed hands and character. Pats reportedly interested.

As for Wilson, IF he hadn't moved to Wisconsin, learned the offense in a month, played behind a huge oline, threw only 4 interceptions and 3 batted balls against a completion % in the 70s and 33 TDs, outplayed the other contenders against top opposition, demonstrated superb leadership and intangibles, then yes I agree no one would be talking about him.

He's a risk at 5'11", for sure. But he's going to stick in the NFL if the coaching staff have the balls to work the offense to fit him.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
that draft is awful im sorry, upshaw is overrated and russell wilson will never be an nfl qb