PDA

View Full Version : 2012 dolphin 1st round pick is in. its official. spoiler alert

enduro
03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
As you know last year I was correct with my first round pick well before the experts, in the pick of m. pouncey. Well once again the pick is in. After reviewing his workout the pick will be tannehill. This of course depends if he is still on the board. The way things look, Miami may deal one of there 3rd round picks to move up to #7 to secure the pick. The chiefs and the Browns may try to leap frog miami and move into #7, and Jeff will have none of that.

colts: luck
skins: rgIII
vikes: kalil
browns: richardson
bucs: morris claiborne
rams: blackmon
fins: (trade of one spot) tannehill

If we miss tannehill in some senerio we will look to trade back unless a top 6 pick falls. Tannehill is our #1 target this year much like M. pouncey was last year.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 08:42 AM
I honestly think we have to trade with the Vikes if we want to secure Tannehill, after yesterdays pro-day I think the chiefs and browns are both in play, I'm not sure what it would cost to move up with minnesota, maybe our 1st round pick, one of our 3rds, and maybe a 2nd next year, but the way I look at it is if Ireland/Philbin believe Tannehill is their guy then they have to go get him even if it means moving up, I think this kid has tremendous upside and it will be worth it a year or two from now when we finally have our franchise QB

Etuoo33
03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Trade????? WTF Who do you think you are...Rick Spielman?

LikeUntoGod
03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
You need help. And you also need to download a page telling you what draft picks are worth.

Noodleman
03-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Miami would be stupid to TRADE UP for tannehill considering he is not worth a first round pick. I disagree with you...I think Miami is not as interested as everyone thinks in him. I think they take FLoyd at 8 then draft a qb in the second.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Also if Miami trades up to 3 it better be to draft Blackmon.lol

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Miami would be stupid to TRADE UP for tannehill considering he is not worth a first round pick. I disagree with you...I think Miami is not as interested as everyone thinks in him. I think they take FLoyd at 8 then draft a qb in the second.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Moore to Blackmon, not going to happen...........

enduro
03-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Miami is looking to move up. I may not have the compensation correct but they are looking to secure tannehill. They see him as the next a rodgers.

FINFAN15
03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
The Team has so many needs and Philbin values draft picks no way we give them away.I think he trades back to pick up more picks.We already had Weeden in here for a work out and now Ireland is going to Osweiler's pro day.Tannehill could be the pick at 8 but no way in hell we trade up for him

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Miami is looking to move up. I may not have the compensation correct but they are looking to secure tannehill. They see him as the next a rodgers.

I hope so we need a QB, not just B/UP's...............

Geordie
03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm not high at all on Tannehill. He's not even a top 2 or 3 round pick in my view. The only solace I see in picking at #8 is at least the FO is going Skill position for a change. Trading up for him to any spot is completely ludicrous, picking him at #8 is bordering on stupidity.

enduro
03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
The Team has so many needs and Philbin values draft picks no way we give them away.I think he trades back to pick up more picks.We already had Weeden in here for a work out and now Ireland is going to Osweiler's pro day.Tannehill could be the pick at 8 but no way in hell we trade up for him

in todays nfl your only as good as your starting qb. Unless you have some elite defense which we do not have. You don't pass on the next A. Rodgers. We have many needs but QB is still priority #1

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
You are late on this enduro, I think half the board already assumes he will be the pick if he is available . . . but if they trade up one spot to secure him, you are definitely the first to call that so you still have something to "redeem" your legacy on. :up:

enduro
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm not high at all on Tannehill. He's not even a top 2 or 3 round pick in my view. The only solace I see in picking at #8 is at least the FO is going Skill position for a change. Trading up for him to any spot is completely ludicrous, picking him at #8 is bordering on stupidity.

the fins feel differently than you. He is not ready to start game 1 but he has a ton of upside.

trojanma
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Those that are calling for Floyd or Blackmon are going to be dissappointed. Philbin has made it clear that his offense has no need for a prime #1 target. That is why Marshall was traded. Using the highest pick in the draft to secure the exact same thing would be idiotic.

The pick is obviously Tannehill. The question is will we be willing to pay the necessary price to leap up to secure him.

Canadianfishfan
03-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Is it me? But I don't see us trading up at all. We need as many picks as possible.

trojanma
03-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Well your opinion would go against just about all draft experts out there.
3rd round pick! That is a laughable.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Those that are calling for Floyd or Blackmon are going to be dissappointed. Philbin has made it clear that his offense has no need for a prime #1 target. That is why Marshall was traded. Using the highest pick in the draft to secure the exact same thing would be idiotic.

The pick is obviously Tannehill. The question is will we be willing to pay the necessary price to leap up to secure him.

You are probably right . . . but there is no way you can trust anything a coach or GM says right now. Marshall was traded because he is a knuckle head and a potential cancer in the lockerroom. If our #1 WR was named Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald . . . you can bet they would still be on the team.

They met with Michael Floyd at the combine, before they even traded Marshall . . . I think he would be a great addition, but if Tannehill is there I think it sets up nicely for him to sit this year behind Moore and Garrard and become the starter next year.

MRojas4
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's just me but first round picks are for players that are guaranteed to be super stars or close to it.

You don't take a "project" player with lots of "upside" in the first round. You take the sure thing player that will be a starter at the respective position for 10+ years.

We need a QB but not to the point were we should take a gamble on a project player with less than 20 games at QB.

enduro
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
You are late on this enduro, I think half the board already assumes he will be the pick if he is available . . . but if they trade up one spot to secure him, you are definitely the first to call that so you still have something to "redeem" your legacy on. :up:

Well to be honest this one is not that tuff this year. I have heard talk of swapping with the jags....

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I will just put in the mix........DeCastro at #8.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Is it me? But I don't see us trading up at all. We need as many picks as possible.

I think if we trade up, it will be in round 2 to secure a target . . .and we would use one of those 3rd round picks.

If a guy like Fleener slides to the end of the first round, I could see them jumping ahead of the 49ers, Giants and/or Colts to try and get him.

enduro
03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe it's just me but first round picks are for players that are guaranteed to be super stars or close to it.

You don't take a "project" player with lots of "upside" in the first round. You take the sure thing player that will be a starter at the respective position for 10+ years.

We need a QB but not to the point were we should take a gamble on a project player with less than 20 games at QB.

A. Rodgers good enough for you

normaniii
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
If we take him I trust the fact that Philbin decided to pass on Flynn and Sherman believes he is good enough for next level. Although I think Ireland will go Decastro and Cousins/Osweiler.

enduro
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I think if we trade up, it will be in round 2 to secure a target . . .and we would use one of those 3rd round picks.

If a guy like Fleener slides to the end of the first round, I could see them jumping ahead of the 49ers, Giants and/or Colts to try and get him.

we could move up and down in all rounds but we need to keep our eye on the prize. the next A. Rodgers

HybridPHIN 23
03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Tannehill has been considered a first rounder by actual scouts since before september..... all you haters need to give some reasoning for why you disagree with all the experts.

NRA
03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
so let me guess, the browns gm told your "source" that they are going to pass on tannehill leaving him wide open for the finz to select?

all gm's have informed your "source" [or emailed you] saying they would not be trading up ahead of the finz and grabbing him?

then you got a call from ireland and he said he got the same info and would in fact be taking tannehill?

yeah.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................................

PS: thousands of people had the pouncy pick including a couple hundred on this board.

Geordie
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Well your opinion would go against just about all draft experts out there.
3rd round pick! That is a laughable.

How high someone is rated is not the same as how high he will be picked, I said I don't rate him as a top 3 round pick that does not mean I don't think he'll be picked there. But any team picking him imho is reaching way too high. For us, top 10 draft picks should be day one starters or at least close to it. Tannehill is a country mile away from that. If you want a young project QB with upside there are other options with better value further down in the draft. Or just wait till next year, when with the way the team is shaping up, we may be in a great position to draft Barkley.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Tannehill has been considered a first rounder by actual scouts since before september..... all you haters need to give some reasoning for why you disagree with all the experts.

I agree, the dude has tremendous upside, now we have a chance to finally get our franchise QB and everybody wants to trade down and take some scrub named osweiler, if philbin/ireland believe tannehill is the guy then get him at all costs, who cares about draft picks ireland and parcells were obsessed with stocking up on picks and where has it got us? mike mayock says tannehill is a franchise QB and is the next rivers but with mobility, are we really willing to pass that up just to trade down, get another pick, and get 4-5 years out of weeden or take a chance on osweiler? we already tried the safe method when we took long and henne in the 2nd, it didnt work, its time to get aggressive and make some moves stop being so damn conservative. Tannehill will have to sit for a year but it will be well worth it when the kid turns into a stud.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
we could move up and down in all rounds but we need to keep our eye on the prize. the next A. Rodgers

:lol: Just remember Aaron sat 3 years behind Brett Favre with no pressure at all. There will be pressure from day 1 for Tannehill to push for a starting role down here and clearly it would be great if we can get Ryan to sit for a year. Aaron went in the 20's and was 3 years younger also. Tannehill's value probably resides in that area, maybe a little further down but the need for a QB makes him a viable selection at 8.

Saying he is the next Aaron Rodgers is just trying to build a buzz around a bunch of miserable fans who are hungry for a Super Bowl and are fiending for a Marino replacement. It isn't fair to put him in the category of an Aaron Rodgers right now.

That being said, I'd gamble on him with Philbin/Sherman as the coaches . . . would totally be against it if the combo was Sparano/Henning.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Even if Tannehill doesn't end up a franchise QB, if you have any thoughts right now that he "can" be one you pull the trigger . . . you pull the trigger every year within reason until you know you have one.

Geordie
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
:lol: Just remember Aaron sat 3 years behind Brett Favre with no pressure at all. There will be pressure from day 1 for Tannehill to push for a starting role down here and clearly it would be great if we can get Ryan to sit for a year. Aaron went in the 20's and was 3 years younger also. Tannehill's value probably resides in that area, maybe a little further down but the need for a QB makes him a viable selection at 8.

Saying he is the next Aaron Rodgers is just trying to build a buzz around a bunch of miserable fans who are hungry for a Super Bowl and are fiending for a Marino replacement. It isn't fair to put him in the category of an Aaron Rodgers right now.

That being said, I'd gamble on him with Philbin/Sherman as the coaches . . . would totally be against it if the combo was Sparano/Henning.

I agree it's setting the guy up for a huge fall. And if you watched him play a bit last year (and I watched a lot of his games) you'll know just how far he is away from starting in the NFL. He might get there someday, but it's not going to be any time soon, and that might be too slow for this team which needs an injection of excitement and hope.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Even if Tannehill doesn't end up a franchise QB, if you have any thoughts right now that he "can" be one you pull the trigger . . . you pull the trigger every year within reason until you know you have one.

I agree 150%, this kid has tremendous upside, strong arm, good accuracy, can throw on the run, ran a 4.58/40, he was a WR and in only 19 starts turned himself into a QB and learned a pro-style WC offense, that shows he is a one hell of a worker and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and he can adapt, is he raw? hell yea he is, but in a year or 2 this kid is gonna be a straight beast and I'm willing to pull the trigger instead of playing it safe again on kirk cousins or weeden.

JCfinfan
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
We will stay at 8 or move down.

Pinkboy
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
One thing I will say is I was wrong with a post I wrote about Tannehill's pocket awareness and feel in the pocket, as this signifies 50% of my grade on a QB.

Every good QB had terrific feel in the pocket like its 2nd nature. From Favre to Rodgers to Elway to Manning to Marino to Brees.. you name it, they all had it. What happens before you throw the ball is just as important as when and how you throw it.

Admittedly I rarely paid attention to Texas A&M last year. Remember only watching one game, and in that game Tanny looked poor in the pocket. Obviously he just had a bad week because as I've caught up and watched alot more footage over the past week,.. I've concluded that his pocket feel and awareness is not only adequate, but it is ideal and quite good.

He is nothing like Gabbert who is god awful in the pocket. John Beck and Chad Henne, both horrid in the pocket and you saw the results. QB's who come out of college with no feel and instincts in the pocket never make it. This criteria and attribute should automatically be 50% of anyone's grade on a QB. And it's why Osweiler will never amount to jack diddly in the NFL. He would be a total waste of a pick

Krush
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
It will cost the fins a 2nd and a 3rd by the draft points chart.

Krush
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Man do you watch football? your opinion is welcomed but come on Man!

J Tes
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
If you don't think he's at least a day 2 pick you have no idea what you're watching

phinfan40353
03-30-2012, 09:55 AM
As much as some of us would like to see aggressive drafts, history tells us Ireland/Parcells style drafting is about minimizing risk and maximizing value.

Posted in various places over the net:

He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.
Look at the QBs Ireland has drafted or been associated with while here: Chad Henne and Pat White.

Ryan Tannehill doesn't even come close. Matt Flynn had strong connections to Philbin and we had intimate knowledge of him. Yet the Phins didn't blink when it came to their belief of a fair contract. Tannehill has strong and obvious connections to Sherman. Again, we have intimate knowledge of him. And I don't think we'll draft him any higher than we grade him out. And while I'm sure Sherman has high praise for the kid, it comes down to value and risk. There is a tiny body of work for anyone to judge Tannehill. And I personally believe, our interest in Tannehill is merely a smokescreen. It's a strategical gift horse. We can use it to manipulate the value of our 8th pick.

I think most of the fans are going to be disappointed yet again. I believe the pick is going to be defense or a lineman. And our sexy draft history will continue to be alive and well.

Travis34
03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
If we draft Tannehill, no less trade up for him, I will vomit

zachblitz54
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
IMO, Clev trading down or KC moving up to 6 or 7 are the biggest obsticles facing Ireland if the pick is to be Tannehill. If Kalil and Blackmon are gone, I think STL may move their pick. Which means that we may have to give up one of our 3rds to move up and get Tannehill at 6. If STL stays at 6, it will probably cost us something like a 4th and 6th to move up one spot with Jack.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
ehhh...i been sayin he's the guy if not flynn since before free agency...hard to believe if kc wants tannehill they wouldn't trump our 3rd round pick offer...that said moving to #7 to make sure jax doesn't trade out to someone who wants tanny makes sense...

all you guys who think this is goin a different way if tannys there need to wake up and smell the coffee...

Harry_Bagpipe
03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
ehhh...i been sayin he's the guy if not flynn since before free agency...hard to believe if kc wants tannehill they wouldn't trump our 3rd round pick offer...that said moving to #7 to make sure jax doesn't trade out to someone who wants tanny makes sense...

all you guys who think this is goin a different way if tannys there need to wake up and smell the coffee...

Does his tendency to lock in to receivers worry you or do you think he can be coached out of it. Henne couldn't but tanny didn't have games put in that Henne did

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 10:13 AM
I've had Tannehill going to the Skins before they traded out, so I've never really considered him an option for Miami until that trade. Question is, do the Browns like Tannehill enough to take him over TRich . . . we know they would have taken RGIII over him? They do have McCoy in their back pocket who shows promise but isn't consistent. I dunno, I think after losing HIllis the Browns can't pass up on TRich and they build their skill positions with those first 3 picks and swing next year at QB if they have to.

Tannehill should be there for Miami w/o trading up, remember Pioli is with KC . . . he doesn't have a track record of taking QB's early at all.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Does his tendency to lock in to receivers worry you or do you think he can be coached out of it. Henne couldn't but tanny didn't have games put in that Henne did

sure it does...but their gonna say with more film study and time under center in a pro setting that he'll ween off of it...this aaron rodgers stuff to me is a bit obnoxious...quite obnoxious...rodgers throws one of the best deep balls in pro football if not the best...tannehill hasn't shown he can throw it in the same zip code...rodgers had better ball placement also...

fellas cleveland barring trading out to #6 with st louis is taking richardson...i guarandamntee it...i think they want rich so bad they won't trade period and take the chance the bucs take him at #5...

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
here's the only thing about richardson...i read reports he ran b/t 4.45 and 4.49 if thats accurate lock it up he's going to cleveland at #4...that dude was rediculous in drills etc yesterday...but i also read stuff that said 4.62...now that # can get you out of the top 5...

thats the only thing i wonder about...where does cleveland have his timed speed at...

Miamifinz
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
I'll put 50$ on the opposite of what Enduro says.

DavePornstache
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM

I'd love this scenario... Floyd, then Weeden in second if hes there, possibly use a 3rd to move up to grab him if neccessary

enduro
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
here's the only thing about richardson...i read reports he ran b/t 4.45 and 4.49 if thats accurate lock it up he's going to cleveland at #4...that dude was rediculous in drills etc yesterday...but i also read stuff that said 4.62...now that # can get you out of the top 5...

thats the only thing i wonder about...where does cleveland have his timed speed at...

cleveland would be fools to pass on richardson. Miami is worried about cleveland jumping back up to 7 to grab Tannehill.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:23 AM
cleveland would be fools to pass on richardson. Miami is worried about cleveland jumping back up to 7 to grab Tannehill.

from where...#22??? they better be willing to part with a 2013 1st rounder plus something else to get there...

15 spots in round 1 into the top 10 is gonna be hell of a pricey trade...especially when you're coming up for a qb...jax is gonna make out like bandits...i see the concern though but thats a long ways to go...depends on if jax is ok dropping that far and the dropoff talent wise in the early 20's

Mogwai
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
I buy it. If the FO feels they NEED to throw away a pick to move up incrementally and secure him then go right ahead. If you can do it for someone like DT, you better be able to for your future QB. I like Tannehill, watching him is not like the polished uber talents of Luck and RG3, but the potential is there. I don't know what everyone saw in Gabbert last year. I definitely prefer Tannehill as a prospect ahead of Blaine, Locker, and Ponder. He has an extremely high ceiling. At this point, any other pick would be borderline catastrophic for the franchise.

NICK_ERA
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Miami is trading our whole draft for Andrew Luck Remember you heard it here first.. :) lol

finfan54
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
remember, we were 75% likely to get manning

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM

I totally agree. All this "interest" in Tannehill is coming from the media and amateur draftniks, not from people actually associated with NFL teams. I don't see either Holmgren (Cleveland) or Ireland reaching for Tannehill.

finfan54
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
were staying at 8, osweiler will be the pick at 2 or one of our 3's should cleveland trade back and take tannehill. I am sure we are measuring all the possiblities and comparisons. cus we are currently checking this guy out right?

umpalu
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
confused, am I in the draft forum?

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
here's the thing though if you're cleveland...if you truly believe that this kids a franchise qb in the making you don't pass him up at #4...you just don't...it trumps all...even a monster rb that comes along once every 5 years or so like rich...you take the qb when you have a chance to...

unless these guys already know that whatever jax ask for they are willing to give up to make it happen...thats the only way you even consider it...and that price starts with multiple 1st rounders...the #22 pick this year the #1 next year and probably a #2 somewhere along the way

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Really? Given that Tannehill only played in 6-8 games before September 2011, these "actual scouts" must be pretty astute. Who were they, BTW?

phinDE
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree 150%, this kid has tremendous upside, strong arm, good accuracy, can throw on the run, ran a 4.58/40, he was a WR and in only 19 starts turned himself into a QB and learned a pro-style WC offense, that shows he is a one hell of a worker and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and he can adapt, is he raw? hell yea he is, but in a year or 2 this kid is gonna be a straight beast and I'm willing to pull the trigger instead of playing it safe again on kirk cousins or weeden. He wasn't a WR who turned himself into QB, he was a QB who turned himself into a WR. He was recruited out of high school as a QB, He only turned to WR after he was told he would not be the starter nor the 2nd string QB, but the 3rd string. So Sherman moved him to WR based on his athleticism and obvious all around skills. This obviously changes nothing, but just that he was a QB his whole life.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
I totally agree. All this "interest" in Tannehill is coming from the media and amateur draftniks, not from people actually associated with NFL teams. I don't see either Holmgren (Cleveland) or Ireland reaching for Tannehill.

if you don't think people are talkin about this kid and his stocks goin up and that mayock and these guys aren't having conversations with gms and scouts etc and coming to these conclusions about guys stock well amateur you are...

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
I agree 150%, this kid has tremendous upside, strong arm, good accuracy, can throw on the run, ran a 4.58/40, he was a WR and in only 19 starts turned himself into a QB and learned a pro-style WC offense, that shows he is a one hell of a worker and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and he can adapt, is he raw? hell yea he is, but in a year or 2 this kid is gonna be a straight beast and I'm willing to pull the trigger instead of playing it safe again on kirk cousins or weeden.

The Bills thought that, too, when they traded up to draft JP Losman in 2004 ...

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM

So Cleveland passes on him at 4, take a RB (one of the easiest positions on the field to fill . . . I don't care who it is) and then trade back up, give up a first next year more than likely to get a guy they could of already had. Their first mistake would be valuing a RB over a QB . . . if you like a guy that much to trade the picks required to get him, you just take him at 4 . . . especially if that guy is a QB.

Now if he slips past Miami, you could see them potentially trade back up . . . but they waited on Brady Quinn that one year and he slipped to the 20's and then they traded up.

I dunno, to me the draft is setting up like this:

1. Indy - Andrew Luck
2. Wash - RGIII
3. Minny - Kalil
4. Cle - TRich
5. TB - Claiborne
6. STL - Blackmon
7. Jville - who knows . . . they could go Coples/Floyd/Reiff/Ingram
8. Miami - ???

If the Tannehill talk isn't smoke . . . he is the pick. And a trade up won't be necessary.

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
if you don't think people are talkin about this kid and his stocks goin up and that mayock and these guys aren't having conversations with gms and scouts etc and coming to these conclusions about guys stock well amateur you are...

If you think NFL GMs and scouts are flapping their traps to media "draft gurus" and giving out truly useful info, you are naive. If they say anything at all, it's that they love everybody. GMs keep their personnel info in-house, and any of their staffers who blab will be out on the street when it's discovered.

enduro
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
remember, we were 75% likely to get manning

well at least i wasn't 100% like some local miami radio personalities. lol.. according to his agent and unknown to everybody else, we were all 75 % chance winners. I can't blame anyone for being fooled. what a scam that manning mania turned out to be. He picked denver the first day there and used the rest of us to drive up the price. scammed again.....

enduro
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
So Cleveland passes on him at 4, take a RB (one of the easiest positions on the field to fill . . . I don't care who it is) and then trade back up, give up a first next year more than likely to get a guy they could of already had. Their first mistake would be valuing a RB over a QB . . . if you like a guy that much to trade the picks required to get him, you just take him at 4 . . . especially if that guy is a QB.

Now if he slips past Miami, you could see them potentially trade back up . . . but they waited on Brady Quinn that one year and he slipped to the 20's and then they traded up.

I dunno, to me the draft is setting up like this:

1. Indy - Andrew Luck
2. Wash - RGIII
3. Minny - Kalil
4. Cle - TRich
5. TB - Claiborne
6. STL - Blackmon
7. Jville - who knows . . . they could go Coples/Floyd/Reiff/Ingram
8. Miami - ???

If the Tannehill talk isn't smoke . . . he is the pick. And a trade up won't be necessary.

the chiefs are very interested also. do you want to take that chance at 7?

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
If you think NFL GMs and scouts are flapping their traps to media "draft gurus" and giving out truly useful info, you are naive. If they say anything at all, it's that they love everybody. GMs keep their personnel info in-house, and any of their staffers who blab will be out on the street when it's discovered.

you got to weed thru the bs no doubt...personally i don't think tannehill is a top 10 worthy qb...but they always get overdrafted just the nature of the position...and there's zero doubt in my mind if he's there at #8 irelands pulling the trigger

our own oc mike sherman this year during the college football season even told everyone that tannehill is a future 10 year starter at qb...ie franchise guy...

Thumper1016
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Alot of people called the pick last year. Like you were the only person to say Pouncey give me a break :lol:.

Kinzua
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM

Is Tannehill the only QB in the draft after Luck and Griffin?

Has college football abandoned the forward pass and is no longer using QBs, so the Fins have to draft Tannehill or forever lose the opportunity to draft another QB?

Tannehill wasn't a good enough QB to even be the backup QB at that noted QB factory, Texas A&M, his first two years. Suddenly, after fewer than 20 games, he's such a great prospect that the Fins should trade up to get him? Really? ROTFLMAO.

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
confused, am I in the draft forum?

Ye it's been in the main long enough.................

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
i guess you guys who want it moved would rather talk about david garrard and matt moore than the nfl draft...this is the time the draft talk should stay in the main forum...after the free agency frenzy and next up the draft...but carry on talking about nothing pretty much

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
i guess you guys who want it moved would rather talk about david garrard and matt moore than the nfl draft...this is the time the draft talk should stay in the main forum...after the free agency frenzy and next up the draft...but carry on talking about nothing pretty much

No, we can still talk about it in the right forum.
Why would we talk about the draft in the main forum when we have a draft forum, yes i know it does'nt get used much, but the more we use this forum the better, what do you think Hoops...........

Harry_Bagpipe
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM

I agree. The draft is weeks away and this thread has not only been topical but it has been a breath of fresh air on the main amid all the repititive Homer vs Haters, Ireland sucks vs Ireland rules threads.

Locke
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd put money on us staying at 8 and still getting Tannehill. Moving up one spot for him is ridiculous. I mean, absolutely ****ing stupid...

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
No, we can still talk about it in the right forum.
Why would we talk about the draft in the main forum when we have a draft forum, yes i know it does'nt get used much, but the more we use this forum the better, what do you think Hoops...........

i think the only hope we have right now is the draft...we should talk about it in every forum...

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Meh, I'd have to see it. Pioli made his name off of drafting Brady in round 6 and Cassell in round 7 . . . he isn't a "first round QB" type of GM. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I don't know where this "interest" is coming from . . . unless you are breathing in all of the late March smoke.

chrisbaucom
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

How do we know Philbin values picks? If they love tannehill, they may have to move up that 1 spot to prevent someone from trading in front of them.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
How do we know Philbin values picks? If they love tannehill, they may have to move up that 1 spot to prevent someone from trading in front of them.

I dunno, I think it is unnecesarry panic. KC/Pioli is not trading up for a QB with the limited work Tannehill has, it is not in his nature, and Cleveland trading up to 7 from 22, when they could of picked him at 4, isn't very logical to me. Seattle just invested in Matt Flynn.

I think the biggest hurdle is the Browns at 4 . . . if Cleveland passes, I think the road is clear to take him at 8. Buffalo paid Fitzpatrick a 5 million dollar roster bonus earlier this month and I don't think they are done with him yet. Dallas? Meh, I don't think so, they brought in Orton and they spent some money in FA, I don't think they draft their future at QB just yet. Cardinals gave Kolb his roster bonus also.

Miami needs to just stay calm and i think they will be fine.

phinDE
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Is Tannehill the only QB in the draft after Luck and Griffin? Has college football abandoned the forward pass and is no longer using QBs, so the Fins have to draft Tannehill or forever lose the opportunity to draft another QB? Tannehill wasn't a good enough QB to even be the backup QB at that noted QB factory, Texas A&M, his first two years. Suddenly, after fewer than 20 games, he's such a great prospect that the Fins should trade up to get him? Really? ROTFLMAO. To give the guy credit, most college Head Coaches are very reluctant to start a frosh QB day 1. Another note, did you ever hear of a guy getting better as he gains experience? I would rather have someone that keeps getting better then hits their ceiling day 1 and stays mundane throughout his whole career.

MiamiDolphin618
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Tannehill is a guy I can def get down with at 8. His feet and the way he moves in the pocket are better than anyone in this draft besides Luck..and its pretty close. He throws on the run extremely well, his arm strength is plenty to make all of the throws. He KILLS the out routes. He just needs to improve on his anticipation, and for me that is something that comes with reps. Is he a sure thing?? No. But the draft is a crapshoot, especially at QB and with the tools he has and the new coaching staff we have I think its a risk well worth taking.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
if i'm miami i am concerned about kc with tannehill and i guess cleveland also...but the most i would ever consider doing if i'm ireland is offering up one of those 3rd rounders preferably the one in 2013 when chicago is likely to be coming off a playoff berth season to move from #8 to #7...at the most

i wouldn't do it...but i think ireland very well could if it secures him the #7 pick and tannehill

TheWalrus
03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Meh, I'd have to see it. Pioli made his name off of drafting Brady in round 6 and Cassell in round 7 . . . he isn't a "first round QB" type of GM. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I don't know where this "interest" is coming from . . . unless you are breathing in all of the late March smoke.

Pioli was the Director of Player Personnel with the Jets back in 2000 when they took Pennington in the 1st round.

The more likely thing to put Tannehill off the Chiefs radar is that with Daboll as their new OC they'll be running a Patriots style offense that doesn't particularly value mobility at the quarterback position. We tried to trade for Orton when Daboll was here and that's probably more of the kind of quarterback he wants.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Tannehill wasn't a good enough QB to even be the backup QB at that noted QB factory, Texas A&M, his first two years. Suddenly, after fewer than 20 games, he's such a great prospect that the Fins should trade up to get him? Really? ROTFLMAO.

ummmm, he was a WR and converted to QB, not only did he convert from WR to QB but he did it effectively while running a very complex pro-style West Coast offense, that shows the kid can learn quick and has tremendous upside and can adapt quickly, I'll listen to guys like mayock, kiper, and mcshay over you any day

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
chiefs are said to be high on the dts and kuechly with that #11 pick...

phinDE
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
ummmm, he was a WR and converted to QB, not only did he convert from WR to QB but he did it effectively while running a very complex pro-style West Coast offense, that shows the kid can learn quick and has tremendous upside and can adapt quickly, I'll listen to guys like mayock, kiper, and mcshay over you any day No he wasn't, this is the 2nd time you said this in this thread. I posted this on page 4 Quote Originally Posted by thesparanos13 View Post
I agree 150%, this kid has tremendous upside, strong arm, good accuracy, can throw on the run, ran a 4.58/40, he was a WR and in only 19 starts turned himself into a QB and learned a pro-style WC offense, that shows he is a one hell of a worker and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and he can adapt, is he raw? hell yea he is, but in a year or 2 this kid is gonna be a straight beast and I'm willing to pull the trigger instead of playing it safe again on kirk cousins or weeden. He wasn't a WR who turned himself into QB, he was a QB who turned himself into a WR. He was recruited out of high school as a QB, He only turned to WR after he was told he would not be the starter nor the 2nd string QB, but the 3rd string. So Sherman moved him to WR based on his athleticism and obvious all around skills. This obviously changes nothing, but just that he was a QB his whole life.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
well that just shows how good of an athlete this kid is, he still spent a year at WR and jumped back over to QB which is impressive

enduro
03-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I dunno, I think it is unnecesarry panic. KC/Pioli is not trading up for a QB with the limited work Tannehill has, it is not in his nature, and Cleveland trading up to 7 from 22, when they could of picked him at 4, isn't very logical to me. Seattle just invested in Matt Flynn.

I think the biggest hurdle is the Browns at 4 . . . if Cleveland passes, I think the road is clear to take him at 8. Buffalo paid Fitzpatrick a 5 million dollar roster bonus earlier this month and I don't think they are done with him yet. Dallas? Meh, I don't think so, they brought in Orton and they spent some money in FA, I don't think they draft their future at QB just yet. Cardinals gave Kolb his roster bonus also.

Miami needs to just stay calm and i think they will be fine.

This draft is like chess. if they pick up richardson at 4, miami sits at 8 all fat and happy and forgets about cleveland. then boom they move back up to 7 and grab both prospect. Holmgren would look like a genius. Cleveland is loaded with picks and no stars.

phinatic1399
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
This draft is like chess. if they pick up richardson at 4, miami sits at 8 all fat and happy and forgets about cleveland. then boom they move back up to 7 and grab both prospect. Holmgren would look like a genius. Cleveland is loaded with picks and no stars.

thats something I never thought about but could happen

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Pioli was the Director of Player Personnel with the Jets back in 2000 when they took Pennington in the 1st round.

The more likely thing to put Tannehill off the Chiefs radar is that with Daboll as their new OC they'll be running a Patriots style offense that doesn't particularly value mobility at the quarterback position. We tried to trade for Orton when Daboll was here and that's probably more of the kind of quarterback he wants.

No he wasn't, Pioli/Belichek go hand and hand from 2000 to when the Chiefs got him in 2009.

And I disagree with the idea that Daboll's system doesn't "value mobility" . . . I think we saw how mobile Chad Henne had to become in Daboll's system and Matt Moore is a guy who obviously isn't RGIII mobile, but he isn't a statue either. Colt McCoy isn't a statue and neither is Seneca Wallace . . . I think Tannehill would be a good fit in Daboll's system, I just don't see Pioli putting that high of a price on Tannehill and his lack of experience.

I mean I could be wrong, but I'm just going off of history . . . maybe they love him and trade up but that isn't the norm from Pioli.

Locke
03-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Considering what Washington gave up to move up to number 2, why would Cleveland give up the bounty it would take to move up from the 20s all the way to 7? That pretty much goes against what Holmgren has done up until now. I don't believe that's a possibility. If the Browns want him, they'll take him at 4. If he gets by the Browns, he will be there at 8. Trading up one spot is a rookie move...

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
i would tend to agree with locke that if the browns think tannehill is worth a top 10 pick they'll take him at #4 instead of paying the price to come up from #22...it wouldn't be the price wash paid to move up to #2 from #6 for rg3 but it would be quite damn pricey...only way i see them having the ammo to really pull that off withoutn crippling their future draft opps is to trade down from #4 to #6 with st louis but even then you probably get a high 2nd rounder in the deal...maybe a 4th or something also...but from #22 to #7 thats multiple #1s territory plus something else

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Orrr . . .

They could go:

1. TRich
2. Stephen Hill
3. Coby Fleener (may have to give up something to jump ahead of a couple of teams)

and ride with Colt McCoy one more season (because last year they surrounded him with nothing) and then when the verdict is out . . . they can throw their hat in the ring for a QB next year and keep the talent they gathered this season.

You don't pass up on a QB you LOVE and hope to get him later by giving up a boatload of picks . . . you take the QB and move on. A trade up from 22 to 7 isn't logical when they can take the QB at 4. To give up the amount to move up you would have to love the guy . . . if u love him, take him at 4. QB>>>>RB every time.

TheWalrus
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
No he wasn't, Pioli/Belichek go hand and hand from 2000 to when the Chiefs got him in 2009.

And I disagree with the idea that Daboll's system doesn't "value mobility" . . . I think we saw how mobile Chad Henne had to become in Daboll's system and Matt Moore is a guy who obviously isn't RGIII mobile, but he isn't a statue either. Colt McCoy isn't a statue and neither is Seneca Wallace . . . I think Tannehill would be a good fit in Daboll's system, I just don't see Pioli putting that high of a price on Tannehill and his lack of experience.

I mean I could be wrong, but I'm just going off of history . . . maybe they love him and trade up but that isn't the norm from Pioli.

Ok. You're right about Pioli. My mistake.

I still don't agree about the Daboll offense. They coached Henne to scramble because he doesn't have very good pocket presence and because our offensive line wasn't very good. But bootlegs, rollouts... stuff like that isn't a big part of that offense. Relative to the WCO, mobility and the ability to throw on the run is minimized.

hooshoops
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
i'll tell ya this though...if ireland and sherman and philbin truly believe that this kids aaron rodgers they'll pony up more than a 3rd round pick to make sure it gets done...hell they'll pay the price to get to #3..

i sure wish i could see it

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
i would tend to agree with locke that if the browns think tannehill is worth a top 10 pick they'll take him at #4 instead of paying the price to come up from #22...it wouldn't be the price wash paid to move up to #2 from #6 for rg3 but it would be quite damn pricey...only way i see them having the ammo to really pull that off withoutn crippling their future draft opps is to trade down from #4 to #6 with st louis but even then you probably get a high 2nd rounder in the deal...maybe a 4th or something also...but from #22 to #7 thats multiple #1s territory plus something else

Yea but that only works if TRich doesn't get drafted at 5 . . . which I think Tampa would snatch him up quickly.

And why would the Rams move up from 6? They like Blackmon and unless Minnesota somehow doesn't take Kalil, I don't think they have anything to worry about unless Cleveland takes him. If Cleveland takes Blackmon at 4, I don't think a 2nd rounder would make them change their mind. They would really like Blackmon for that to happen and they wouldn't trade with the Rams unless the Rams potentially gave back one of those first rounders from the Skins deal.

Philbin clearly values this draft and I don't think giving up picks for hypotheticals is something he'll vibe with. I don't think it's that easy to just break up those back to back picks in the 3rd round . . . Miami likes that scenario and securing Ryan Tannehill to make that happen doesn't seem to fit. I dunno, I could be wrong, but I'm not worried about it. I think it will play out in our favor and if we like Tannehill . . . he'll be there 8 as long as the Browns pass at 4.