PDA

View Full Version : If the draft falls this way... we might be screwed.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
This is my personal nightmare scenario for draft day:

1. luck
2. rg3
3. kalil
4. tannehill
5. blackmon/claiborne/richardson
6. claiborne/blackmon/ richardson
7. richardson/claiborne/blackmon

Basically if the browns take tannehill, and the next 3 teams take blackmon, claiborne, and richardson, I really don't like how it plays out for the fins...

At this point our best player available and best value would be Coples..... That is a guy who is talented yet I wanna stay away from him.

Other choices I guess we could go after would be Reiff and Decastro, maybe Ingram, with an outside possibility at taking Floyd... if the draft falls like this honestly I want us to take Floyd, but my gut instinct is we will take either Reiff or Decastro, i don't think the current FO wants anything to do with Coples, even though he would be the best talent left...

Nightmare scenario if this happens in my opinion... it would basically FORCE us to take an offensive lineman....

finsfanjay13
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I would draft Kuechly in that situation. The fact of the matter is that a play maker will be available at #8, no matter how the draft falls.

kloud_9
03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Ingram or kut misi and get Luke at #8

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Might have to go with Ingram, with Misi getting nicked..............lol

Zounds
03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
If that happens then you go Kuechly and then Weeden in the 2nd. I'm completely fine with that scenerio.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd try and trade down or go Michael Floyd.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
If that happens then you go Kuechly and then Weeden in the 2nd. I'm completely fine with that scenerio.

Isn't it possible Weeden is long gone by the 2'nd round?? Or are teams really that turned off by his age?? I guess I wouldn't want much to do with him either at that age...

McMichael
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Also, wouldn't Kuechly be a pretty big reach at #8?? I thought most "experts" had him projected around mid - late first round... seems really early to take him at #8

I have a good feeling if it plays like this we will be FORCED to take decastro or reiff, as the FO wants nothing to do with Coples and those are the next BPA

MRojas4
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Trade down or just take Melvin Ingram.

I'd be happy with Ingram at #8.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Another interesting thing to throw out there...

The packers took BJ Raji with the 9'th pick a couple years back...

Dontari poe to me looks like a bigger, stronger, faster, more agile version of raji.

Is there any chance we make a splash and take Poe with the 8'th pick?

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Also, wouldn't Kuechly be a pretty big reach at #8?? I thought most "experts" had him projected around mid - late first round... seems really early to take him at #8

I have a good feeling if it plays like this we will be FORCED to take decastro or reiff, as the FO wants nothing to do with Coples and those are the next BPA

I haven't heard that . . . they have no interest in Coples? Is that assumption or is that valid? He has the prototype size that I believe a GM like Ireland has always coveted and he is athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4, DE in a 4-3, DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3 in a Justin Tuck type of role. Hell, he may be the favorite to be picked at 8 if Tannehill is gone.

I don't think Kuechly would be a big reach, but I just rather go elsewhere than MLB with that pick. I wouldn't be upset with the pick, it's a safe pick . . . but that seems to be the problem with some of these drafts . . . too safe.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Dontari poe to me looks like a bigger, stronger, faster, more agile version of raji.

It's a lineman, it's always possible :lol:

Personally, after signing Soliai, I'd be pretty upset with it. Your starting WR's are Bess and Hartline, you have no pass rusher opposite of Wake, you have a secondary that probably made the fewest plays in the league last year . . . and your other line has way more holes in it.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Isn't it possible Weeden is long gone by the 2'nd round?? Or are teams really that turned off by his age?? I guess I wouldn't want much to do with him either at that age...

Alot of "experts" have him getting snatched in round 3, but all it takes is one team to take him earlier than that. I think Miami could get him at 42, but it isn't a guarantee. I'd definitely watch KC in round 2 if that is the plan.

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Only if we're really ****ing stupid.

In this scenario, I still like Fleener (*ducks*). I also like Kuechly, Coples, Floyd - in that order. But I don't think we draft a WR in the 1st.

Kdawg954
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Only if we're really ****ing stupid.

In this scenario, I still like Fleener (*ducks*). I also like Kuechly, Coples, Floyd - in that order. But I don't think we draft a WR in the 1st.

Ugh Fleener at 8, too rich for my blood. I think he could be an asset in the passing game early on, but for me to draft a TE that high I need to ensure he is a beastly blocker as well and Fleener is not that. I do think he has the upside to become one but that is alot of risk. I think you'll get more value taking somebody else . . . maybe Coples . . . and trading back up to snatch Fleener.

I can live with giving up a third to move back up for him . . . it would be more than worth it.

We may not draft a WR in the first round, but if the scenario fell like that, I think they would take Floyd before Fleener. These athletic TE's are easier to find later than a talent like Floyd at WR. You'll get more bang for your buck with Floyd at 8 . . . if you want a pass catcher.

I'd take both over Poe at 8, that is for sure.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Ugh Fleener at 8, too rich for my blood. I think he could be an asset in the passing game early on, but for me to draft a TE that high I need to ensure he is a beastly blocker as well and Fleener is not that. I do think he has the upside to become one but that is alot of risk. I think you'll get more value taking somebody else . . . maybe Coples . . . and trading back up to snatch Fleener.

I can live with giving up a third to move back up for him . . . it would be more than worth it.

We may not draft a WR in the first round, but if the scenario fell like that, I think they would take Floyd before Fleener. These athletic TE's are easier to find later than a talent like Floyd at WR. You'll get more bang for your buck with Floyd at 8 . . . if you want a pass catcher.

I want us to take Floyd at #8 too but for some reason I don't think we will. Theres just too much value in the other positions to take the #2 receiver at #8 in the draft. If it was blackmon then I think we'd take him in a second. Blackmon would be better for the type of offense Philbin wants to run as well.

However I think we're gonna end up either taking the #1 DE, #1 OLB, #1 G, or #1 RT... instead of taking the #2 receiver prospect in the draft.

my gut feeling is if the board plays out like this, and I think theres a good chance it will, we take either Reiff or Decastro.

datruth55
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Tampa Bay is not taking Blackmon. They drafted Mike Williams and Arrellious Benn two years ago and signed Vincent Jackson as a free agent this year. WR is not a need for them. It will be Claiborne or Richardson for them. Rams will take Blackmon. If Richardson is on the board when Jacksonville picks I think they pass. They have MJD already and have more pressing needs like D-line and WR. If Richardson gets past Tampa Bay he'll be there when we pick.

phinsno1_fan
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I dont think Poe would be my choice here. As a dolphin fan for 40 years our team is far from being a playoff contende. So, lets face it we are at least 2 strong drafts away. If we elect not to Take Tanneyhill at #8 then we need to wait and draft Barkley or Landry Jones next year. With this draft I would love to see an offensive draft. Decastro in my opinion would be a great pick here. He would solidify our o-line. Our best case scenario is if Claiborne or Richardson were to fall then we could trade back and aquire xtra picks. we must come outta this draft with at least 5 starters. Hopefully an olineman, 2 wide receivers, another te although i think chales clay is gonna be great we need another pass catching te. Any other thoughts?

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM

I don't need a dominant blocking TE to draft him that high. Fleener is a capable blocker. I think he does every bit as much for your passing game as Blackmon or Floyd, and he gives you more versatility. You have a deep threat out of Jumbo packages. You have a guy you can play all over the field. I know I like him more than most, but I don't think there have been too many prospects at TE who appear to be better receivers than Fleener.

phinsno1_fan
03-30-2012, 03:31 PM
If blackmon is there at 5 i would love to trade up with TB send them the #8 pick and one of our 3rd rounders. We cant go wrong with taking Trent Richardson here either

Tunaphish429
03-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I think if Couples is on the board you take him. Extreme need.

McMichael
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
If blackmon is there at 5 i would love to trade up with TB send them the #8 pick and one of our 3rd rounders. We cant go wrong with taking Trent Richardson here either

Lol, anyone would love that trade, except it's not nearly the value needed...

It would be a lot closer to our #8, our #41, and both of our 3'rds for their #5...thats if we don't have to use a first rounder from next year which we might

Geforce
03-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Other choices I guess we could go after would be Reiff and Decastro, maybe Ingram, with an outside possibility at taking Floyd... if the draft falls like this honestly I want us to take Floyd, but my gut instinct is we will take either Reiff or Decastro, i don't think the current FO wants anything to do with Coples, even though he would be the best talent left...

This may or may not be true but the Dolphins have scheduled a visit with Coples to find out more about him.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?317898-Phins-schedule-visits-with-Bruce-Irvin-Coples-Massie-pluse-more-buzz&

The Dolphins do not announce the draft prospects that are summoned to team headquarters, but sources say Miamiís list of upcoming visits includes North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples (an option at pick No. 8), Mississippi offensive tackle Bobby Massie (ESPNís Todd McShay has Miami picking him at No. 41) and West Virginia linebacker Bruce Irvin (combined 22.5 sacks the past two years).

The Dolphins want to spend time with Coples, considered the draftís best 4-3 end, and reconcile the widely-held perception that he didnít always play as hard as he could last year.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I would draft Kuechly in that situation. The fact of the matter is that a play maker will be available at #8, no matter how the draft falls.This. A perfect solution to a defense that needs more help than some realize. Take Cousins in round 2.