PDA

View Full Version : Fins draft workouts

mandal24
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Perhaps a sticky? Maybe in the Draft forum or here?...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

ITS!MATEO
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I see we're interviewing Tru Johnson. Nice call, guy is going to be a beast.

ROADRUNNER
03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Perhaps a sticky? Maybe in the Draft forum or here?...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

I will see what i can do for you..........

ROADRUNNER
04-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Nice mix for miami..............

phinatic1399
04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN
The Dolphins, sources say, have made plans to fly in three marquee prospects that warrant consideration with their first-round pick: LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, South Carolina outside linebacker Melvin Ingram and Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd. Among a handful of other players in the mix at No. 8, Miami already has met extensively with Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill and is bringing in North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples.

In his latest mock draft, ESPN’s Mel Kiper has Claiborne going fifth, Ingram seventh, Tannehill eighth to Miami and Floyd 13th. Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland puts a high premium on defensive backs, and Claiborne would be very tempting if he falls to Miami’s spot.
Ingram (10 sacks last year) is one of the draft’s premier pass rushers; CBS’ Charley Casserly compares him to standout NFL pass-rushers Elvis Dumervil and Tamba Hali.
Though most project Floyd for the teens, NFL Network analysts Mike Mayock and Ted Sundquist (the former Broncos general manager) said Miami should consider him at No. 8. “His explosion off the line is exceptional – I would compare it to Justin Blackmon’s,” Mayock said. Sundquist said Miami could do what Cincinnati did last year - taking a receiver in the first round (A.J. Green) and quarterback in the second (Andy Dalton).
Floyd (100 catches, 1147 yards, nine touchdowns last season) has three alcohol-related incidents in his past, including a March 2011 DUI, but has eased concerns by showing maturity last season and during pre-draft interviews. He’s a physical receiver with very good hands and leaping ability.
### If the Dolphins don’t take Floyd (or if Blackmon doesn’t fall to them), there are several potential receiver options at No. 41, and more than a dozen with Miami's picks at 72 or 73.
ESPN’s Todd McShay said the only receivers who would be good value at 41 are LSU’s Rueben Randle (“deceptive speed, but a lot of areas he needs to improve”) and South Carolina’s Alshon Jeffery (“don’t like his route-running, but rare ball skills. If the ball’s in the air, he gets it.”) But Kiper lists two other receivers who belong in that range: Illinois’ A.J. Jenkins and Appalachian State’s Brian Quick. Kiper said Quick, 6-3 1/2, "has big-time size and can stretch the field."
Iowa’s Marvin McNutt, UM’s Tommy Streeter, Michigan State’s Keshawn Martin and Wake Forest’s Chris Givens are among numerous receivers in the mix for Miami’s two third-rounders.
### For all the early talk of the Dolphins taking Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff at No. 8, it’s not good value. Mayock now says he deserves to be drafted in the 20s.
A three-time South Dakota state wrestling champion, Reiff had one odd incident, in 2009: Officers reportedly found him undressing and acting disoriented in an alley when he ran into a nearby kitchen. The pursuit lasted 20 minutes and involved eight officers. He pleaded guilty to intoxication and interference with official acts, but teams aren’t concerned about his character. Regardless, it's tough for Miami to justify taking another offensive lineman in the first round, with so many other needs.
### Ireland said he would love to add a tight end in the Rob Gronkowski mold, but he and Joe Philbin are comfortable with Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay if they cannot. Of the draft’s clear-cut top three tight ends, Stanford’s Coby Fleener is expected to be gone by 41, Clemson’s 6-4 Dwayne Allen might be there, and Georgia’s Orson Charles likely will be there. But Miami has bigger needs at 41 than taking Allen or Charles.
Keep an eye on Louisiana-Lafeyette’s Ladarius Green (51 catches, 606 yards last year) and Missouri’s Michael Egnew (50, 523) as mid-round Dolphins options. Green has good speed and size (6-6); Egnew, a converted receiver, has strong hands, speed and leaping ability. The Dolphins also have been inquiring about North Central (Ill.) tight end Kyle Fiedorowicz, a Division III All-American.
### Besides working out UM and FIU and FAU players this week, sources say these were some of the other players with local ties that were brought to Dolphins camp: receivers LaVon Brazill (Ohio) and Donovan Varner (Duke), linebacker Lavonte David (Nebraska, a potential first-rounder) and Ronnie Thornton (Southern Mississippi), Wake Forest guard Joe Looney, UCF cornerback Josh Robinson, Wisconsin cornerback Antonio Fenelus, Pittsburgh running back Zach Brown and Appalachian State running back Travaris Cadet.
### The Dolphins can invite an unlimited number of local players for workouts. But for non-local players, they are limited - by NFL rule - to 30 visits, and those can include only interviews and medical tests. If Miami wants to work out any of those players, it must be out of town, typically on their campus. Among the 30 non-local vists, Miami is using some on potential first-rounders (such as Claiborne and Ingram), several on second-to-fourth rounders (such as Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler and West Virginia linebacker Bruce Irvin) and some on under-the-radar late-rounders such as Cincinnati tight end Adrien Robinson.
CHATTER
### The Dolphins plan to bring veteran free agent linebackers Gary Guyton and Quentin Groves to team headquarters for visits in the coming days, sources said. Both have good speed and position versatility.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy
more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Kdawg954
04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
So we sit down with Michael Floyd at the combine and now we are flying him in for a visit.

Smokescreen or not, I think Joe Philbin wouldn't mind adding this big target to his offense.

I agree about Claiborne though, if he somehow slid to 8 . . . Jeff Ireland probably couldn't resist.

I actually couldn't blame him either.

phinatic1399
04-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I want Tannehill, but I would not mind if we take Floyd and roll with weeden in the 2nd round

Harry_Bagpipe
04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
If by some miracle Claiborne falls to 8, you gotta grab him and Ireland would be right to do so. Funny thing is that he would probably be crucified by the masses if he did pick him.

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 09:16 AM
they got dwayne allens height wrong...he's 6 ft 3...and yes that matters...i smell a mid round pick on a size speed te this year...or a very late one on the d3 kid

i had no idea its actually 3 and not 2 alcohol related offenses with michael floyd...thats a tough sell to ross after you just paid b marsh all that money and dropped him within 2 years...

ingram in the top 10 is scary stuff given those short arms and lack of height...but he's probably got the most going for him pass rush wise arsenal wise in this draft...

mcnutt in the 3rd is bad value...so is streeter and that martin kid ...that aj jenkins kid has been on the rise for a while...i don't much like most the wrs that it looks like we're considering in the 3rd...i don't like guys that can't separate and mcnutt screams that to me...

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
If Claiborne slips to us that is a no brainer. Vontae and Morris as our CB's? WOW. I have to admit i'd be pissed if we went with Tannehill is he was still available.

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
ha ha...if claiborne ever got to #8 (which he won't but anyways...) and we passed him up for tannehill like i think we would i bet this place would go postal...

Kdawg954
04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
The first 2 charges on Floyd were because he wasn't 21 yet. The last one was the biggie, DUI driving home on ND's campus . . . which I'm sure many kids do, but Floyd ran a stop sign at 4 a.m. and that caught the eye of the police.

The good thing is, he really has been humbled by the experience, been incident free for over a year and has shown plenty of maturity during the countless interviews he has had during the pre draft process.

Michael Floyd is hardly a Brandon Marshall type, he's a college kid that made a few mistakes with alcohol . . . and while certainly those mistakes should not be ignored, I think when you dive in deeper and see the type of person Michael is, you understand you are genuinely getting a good person and terrfic WR if you draft him.

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
now you sound like his agent kdawg...ha ha

it's still a tough sell coming off the problems we had with marshall...

i'll say this though now that i've actually gone and put grades on a lot of these prospects i don't know if you can feel comfortable sitting there at #42 and getting a brandon weeden there if you go a different route than qb with the top pick and he's the secondary target...normally i would say you can sit and wait on a 28 year old qb...but not in this draft...this draft just isn't that damn deep

Kdawg954
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
now you sound like his agent kdawg...ha ha

it's still a tough sell coming off the problems we had with marshall...

:lol: I had this guy rated a notch above Julio Jones had he came out last year . . . I saw what he did to Miami in that bowl game and throughout his entire career. The kid has the "it" factor to be a big time WR in the NFL.

I agree, I know little about "how bad" the alcohol issue is with Floyd, but just based off the 3 incidents, I just see a college kid in the limelight that was too careless with the alcohol and hopefully he has matured a bit, which by all accounts it seems that he has.

That being said, if I'm sitting there with Tannehill off the board, yet we have choice between Claiborne and Floyd, I have to lean Claiborne . . . its scary that this kid was recruited as a WR, knew very little about being a DB coming out of high school and yet was the top shutdown CB in the nation. He's only going to get better.

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 09:44 AM
if they decide floyds the guy though it won't bother me...i think floyds gonna be a heck of a pro...kid gets off press better than anybody in this draft and its not close and that will translate...great hands great body great size...but he doesn't play 4.4 fast he plays more low 4.5 but that won't matter...he's got all the tools...bit of stiffness in his hips but thats common with big wrs...

MarshallFin1
04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
If Claiborne slips to us that is a no brainer. Vontae and Morris as our CB's? WOW. I have to admit i'd be pissed if we went with Tannehill is he was still available.

now your going with the bpa huh? flip flopped pretty fast!

LouPhinFan
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
You spend a #1 on Floyd or Blackmon but your coach just finished an interview saying that he doesn't need a true #1 WR and that in his offense you're going to be spreading the ball around? I'm thinking we're going to be using one of those back-to-back #3s we have on a WR.

MiamiDolphin618
04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Has anyone seen that DIII All American TE play? That is the second time Ive seen his name floating around.

DcRy82
04-06-2012, 11:27 AM
You spend a #1 on Floyd or Blackmon but your coach just finished an interview saying that he doesn't need a true #1 WR and that in his offense you're going to be spreading the ball around? I'm thinking we're going to be using one of those back-to-back #3s we have on a WR.

Just because he says there won't be 1 primary target in our offense doesn't mean he won't want the best possible guys out there (that fit the system). I think Floyd AND another receiver in the 3rd is very possible. I think we take 2 WRs in this draft for sure.

utahphinsfan
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
So we sit down with Michael Floyd at the combine and now we are flying him in for a visit.

Smokescreen or not, I think Joe Philbin wouldn't mind adding this big target to his offense.

I agree about Claiborne though, if he somehow slid to 8 . . . Jeff Ireland probably couldn't resist.

I actually couldn't blame him either.

Claiborne still on the board @ #8 is a no brainer IMO.

I'd rather the phins select Egnew in the 3rd (If Fleener is gone) than than Floyd in the 1st. Looking @ Green Bay's roster, I'd bet Miami drafts at least 1 TE.

Givens IMO is an ideal WR for the WCO especially if you lok at the WR Corps in Green Bay.

KDog13
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
We better not ask any of them if there mom is a prostitute, especially Clairborne considering he got a 4 on the "wonderlic test" :chuckle:

fishbanger
04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I only believe Floyd would only get picked in a trade down. GB model says dont spend lots of money on a number 1 WR. This is a smokescreen. Claiborne would be the pick if he fell however JAX just sign their CB Barber to a one year contract and this may be his last year before he retires so JAX Claiborne will be a jaguar if he falls.I think if we were to trade down the phins if wanting a receiver would be going after FLeener and not Floyd. TE is more critical in the WCO as WRs are all about equal and TE needs to be a STUD.

datruth55
04-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not big on Floyd but if Philbin thinks the guy is a fit then I'm all for it. I don't have a problem really with any of the names mentioned in the first paragraph except for Coples. Coples is probably the most talented DE in this draft but his production doesn't reflect that, you can coach a player up all day but if he has no heart there's nothing you can do to motivate him. I wouldn't take him in the top 10.

Ingram would be a heck of a fit for us since they plan on employing multiple fronts. Ingram can play DE or OLB and I think he can do it pretty well. No way Claiborne drops to us but if he did we should jump on that. I don't see it happening. If Cleveland does take Tannehill, Tampa will take Richardson I think, Rams would take Blackmon and I'm pretty sure Jacksonville will take Claiborne or at least get a lot of offers for trades for someone else to grab him.

mega-fin-love
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Not that I care but I see no reason why this post got moved. It's all about the Dolphins and their first pick?????????

Predaphin
04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I think Floyd is all smokescreen....

Why would we want to bring in a big target with off the field issues when we just got rid of one....Philbin clearly stated his system does not require a #1 WR...I just don't see the Dolphins going after Floyd

rent this space
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Teams would be offering a ransom to trade up if Claiborne falls to 8, but I think you take him anyway

Travis34
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Floyd! Yes please

datruth55
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Packers haven't drafted a 1st round WR since 2002 (Jevon Walker). Donald Driver (1999 7th round), Greg Jennings (2006 2nd round), James Jones (2007 3rd round), Jordy Nelson (2008 2nd round) and Randall Cobb (2011 2nd round) is the makeup of their receiving corp. As a matter of fact Jevon Walker is the only WR they've taken in the 1st round since 1988 (they took Sterling Sharpe in the 1st round in 1988). I think Walker may have left a sour taste in their mouth though, lol.

MarshallFin1
04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Packers haven't drafted a 1st round WR since 2002 (Jevon Walker). Donald Driver (1999 7th round), Greg Jennings (2006 2nd round), James Jones (2007 3rd round), Jordy Nelson (2008 2nd round) and Randall Cobb (2011 2nd round) is the makeup of their receiving corp. As a matter of fact Jevon Walker is the only WR they've taken in the 1st round since 1988 (they took Sterling Sharpe in the 1st round in 1988). I think Walker may have left a sour taste in their mouth though, lol.

i'd rather have a stud like claiborne to be honest. Good wrs are easier to find than elite cbs.

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
i can't remember where i read it on here but i want to say someone was saying miami sees marvin mcnutt as a jordy nelson type pro...that seems like quite a dang stretch to me...

oasis
04-06-2012, 06:26 PM
ha ha...if claiborne ever got to #8 (which he won't but anyways...) and we passed him up for tannehill like i think we would i bet this place would go postal...

Despite the fan pressure I think they would do the right thing on that one.

CallMeDaddy
04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82822de9/article/dolphins-reportedly-to-work-out-lsus-morris-claiborne-others?campaign=Twitter_news

It's been widely speculated the Miami Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA) have set their sights on Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, but a contingency plan could be in the works, as they reportedly will fly in a trio of top draft prospects, sources told The Miami Herald on Friday (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82822de9/article/09000d5d82822de9).

The team will take a closer look at LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, South Carolina outside linebacker Melvin Ingram and Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd, according to the newspaper.
In his latest mock draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/brian-baldinger/130100), NFL Network's Brian Baldinger has Clairborne going fifth to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB) and Ingram and Floyd outside the top 10. Baldinger sees Tannehill falling to the Dolphins as the third quarterback off the board.

Nublar7
04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I would like Tannehill in the first round to have as a starting quarterback a year or two down the road, but I am not sold on the Dolphins trading up to get him. Reason being that if Tannehill does go to Cleveland at #4 or a team trades with Minnesota to take him, there is likely going to be a solid player that falls to #8. Whether it is Richardson, Ingram, Claiborne, Blackmon or Coples, Miami could get a solid player.

Locke
04-06-2012, 07:49 PM
If Tannehill is gone, I take Floyd and wait patiently for Weeden to fall to me in round 2. Cleveland is realistically the only team that would take him in the first, with their 2nd first rounder. No other team has a QB need large enough to warrant Weeden in the first...

fishbanger
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Claiborne wont get past TB. Trade dwon if tannehill is not there. Draft Fleener after trade down. Lots of good WRs available. WCO needs a great TE and 4 good WRs.

wonderl33t
04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
If Tannehill is gone, I take Floyd and wait patiently for Weeden to fall to me in round 2. Cleveland is realistically the only team that would take him in the first, with their 2nd first rounder. No other team has a QB need large enough to warrant Weeden in the first...

1. Floyd and 2. Weeden would be incredible. I am not sure Weeden makes it out of the first, though. I don't think he would make it past Cleveland at 22 or San Francisco.

Locke
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
1. Floyd and 2. Weeden would be incredible. I am not sure Weeden makes it out of the first, though. I don't think he would make it past Cleveland at 22 or San Francisco.

My thinking is if Tannehill isn't there at 8, the only team who could have taken him is Cleveland, so they are out. I don't see another team there with a need at QB big enough to take a 28 year old one with a first. San Fran just resigned Smith to a big contract and still have Kaepernick. Any other team who drafts him would need to sit him behind their current starter, and he is too old for that. The only place for him to go would be somewhere as a starter. That would leave us, in this scenario at least...

Kdawg954
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
My thinking is if Tannehill isn't there at 8, the only team who could have taken him is Cleveland, so they are out. I don't see another team there with a need at QB big enough to take a 28 year old one with a first. San Fran just resigned Smith to a big contract and still have Kaepernick. Any other team who drafts him would need to sit him behind their current starter, and he is too old for that. The only place for him to go would be somewhere as a starter. That would leave us, in this scenario at least...

Yea San Fran also has Josh Johnson, they definitely aren't going QB that early . . . they need to add some more offensive pieces to an already stellar defense. There are a few dark horse teams (KC . . . would fit Daboll's system well) who maybe could jump the Fins in round 2, but nothing I'm stressing if I'm Miami.

This team needs a solid draft and a QB that Philbin/Sherman believe in . . . if it's Tannehill in the first, Weeden in the 2nd or Cousins/Lindley in the 3rd/4th . . . they need to draft a guy.

I also think people are underestimating the like they have for Pat Devlin. He is a westcoast QB by nature and there is alot to like with him. They truthfully could have their developmental QB already on the team.

DeathStar
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
This guy won't make it past the 5th pick...

Why we waste our time...

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Cleveland wont take him if they get Tannehill and San Fran wont get him because they just draft Colin Kapernick in the second last year.

Miamifinz
04-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Unlikely he falls to us, but I'd be fine with taking him. Some teams read way too much into the wonderlic. I don't care if my CB knows 4x + _ = 28 , I want to know if he can catch.

clownfish
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Not many WR on that list. I was hoping to see Quick, Sanu, and Givens on that list.

gardena19
04-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Claiborne wont get past TB. Trade dwon if tannehill is not there. Draft Fleener after trade down. Lots of good WRs available. WCO needs a great TE and 4 good WRs.

WCO offense also needs a QB.....

hooshoops
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
ha ha...maybe they want to get in his head about his teammate taylor at safety...cause there's not a chance in hell he gets to #8 and brandon taylor is a quality free safety prospect...likely early 3rd round value

Tigers2003
04-07-2012, 01:51 AM

Claiborne is all Tampa. His DB coach at LSU, Ron Cooper, is now the DB coach with the Bucs. Its in the cards.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

WCO offense also needs a QB.....

Is Tannehill the best guy for it? In all sincerity I wouldn't mind risking it on Weeden based on value (despite his age).

JerryD
04-07-2012, 02:06 AM
ha ha...maybe they want to get in his head about his teammate taylor at safety...cause there's not a chance in hell he gets to #8 and brandon taylor is a quality free safety prospect...likely early 3rd round value

Maybe ... but according to reports ... that space is empty ... 3 on the Wunderlich?? ... Its multiple choice & most could guess a 3!! :confused:

BAMAPHIN 22
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
The Miami Dolphins will host Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd for a pre-draft workout, according to a report. Floyd told NFL.com he would visit the Dolphins next week among other teams. Would the Dolphins consider draft Floyd with the eighth pick in the NFL draft? Floyd (6-3, 220 pounds) is consider one of the top wide receiver prospects along with Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon, who is widely considered the top wide receiver available. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-report-miami-dolphins-to-host-notre-dame-wr-michael-floyd-20120409,0,6413744.story

DzakkH13
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Due diligence.

oasis
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Due diligence.

Maybe, maybe not.  If they can't get a trade down and are forced to make a pick at #8, he might be the guy.  Just as much of a risk as Ingram or Coples.  Only sure pick at #8 IMHO is Keuchly, but I might be in the minority on that.