PDA

View Full Version : McShay upgrades Tannehill to top 10 pick, says can be "elite"

phinatic1399
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
“I now believe he has a chance to be an elite NFL quarterback,” McShay said on a conference call Friday. “At quarterback, I’ve got (Stanford’s) Andrew Luck a solid No. 1, then a little drop to Robert Griffin III, and the difference from Griffin to Tannehill is not that great.”

“You looked at how quickly he rose (on the draft boards) and you can’t really figure it out,” he said. “He had 19 career starts, and his production was not elite.
“But then I got seven or eight weeks of games, looked at his bowl game, and in the last four or five days I’ve finished my grading of the top quarterbacks. You start to go through the checklist of what you’re looking for with all the top quarterbacks: how he handles pressure, how he drops back, his handling of third and fourth downs, how he performs in the fourth quarter either trailing or with a one-score lead.
“When I looked at it and took the bias out of it, he had everything you look for. I had to take a step back and realize he belongs in the top 10, and has a chance to be an elite NFL quarterback.”
Whether Cleveland takes him at No. 4, he falls to the Dolphins at No. 8 or someone even trades with Minnesota to get him at No. 3, McShay said the team that gets him has to be patient, however.
“You’re going to bring him in and sit him for a year, and after that you’re looking at a franchise quarterback,” he said. “He’s got all the tools: arm strength, his accuracy continues to improve, he can handle pressure, and his intangibles are through the roof.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/03/31/espn-draft-expert-todd-mcshay-upgrades-ryan-tannehill-to-top-10-pick/

phinfan33
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I feel we need to draft him if he makes to us at 8, but i wouldn't trade up for him.

mikefinfan
03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Well I guess Cleveland will get their franchise qb...and we'll be stuck again

Roman529
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Well I guess Cleveland will get their franchise qb...and we'll be stuck again

Cleveland lost Peyton Hillis,,,,who is going to run the ball for them???? I know.....Trent Richardson.

MiamiMuss
03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Well i surely disagree about is arm strength...Its good but not Elite.

I still get baffled by why after Mcgee left Sherman didnt put him in as starter.I dont care if Johnson was their when Sherman says he could be elite talent but doesnt get him in til Johnson went down.

Hopefully its that the "Light"went on in Tannehides dome and not something else.

Miamifin23
03-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Tannehill will not be available at 8.. Qbs hold more value than any other position, period! There's teams that need qbs and don't be surprised if a team coming out of no where trades up and snags him to sit for a year or two behind their current starter. Cleveland has the picks necessary to if they wanted Tannehill at 4 and Richardson they could use their second first to trade back up in the 1st half of the round and snag both of them. If we want him and we think he's going to be elite then it's time to pony up and trade up. Personally, I would stay put at 8, don't panic and let the draft fall to us as it comes.

jlfin
04-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Well i surely disagree about is arm strength...Its good but not Elite.

I still get baffled by why after Mcgee left Sherman didnt put him in as starter.I dont care if Johnson was their when Sherman says he could be elite talent but doesnt get him in til Johnson went down.

Hopefully its that the "Light"went on in Tannehides dome and not something else.

This notion of 'elite arm strength' is over rated. Montana had average arm strength, as does Brady. Manning's was above average, but not elite coming out of college (that's why some thought Leaf had a higher ceiling).
What makes a good QB is good enough arm strength to make all the throws, but also pocket presence, intelligence and ability to process what you see on the field quickly. Those are much more important than pure arm strength. Just ask Jim Druckenmiler.
Marino was a very good QB because he had great pocket presence and processed things quickly. His elite arm strength and quick release are what made him exceptional.

hooshoops
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
tom brady does not have average arm strength...

TheWalrus
04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

When he came out of Michigan he did.

rent this space
04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Not sure I like that people seem to be changing their opinion of Tannehill as we get closer to the draft.

Roman529
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
It's funny how McShay didn't have many good things to say about Tannehill a couple months ago, but as soon as Mayock, from the NFL Network, starts propping him up as a top ten pick, and a franchise QB, than McShay jumps aboard the Tannehill bandwagon. All of these experts really have no idea how most of these guys will turn out. You can look at all the college tape you want, but some guys cannot handle the pressure and learning the NFL playbook. Jamarcus Russell couldn't, and the same with Ryan Leaf. I read that Tannehill would like to go to medical school and become a surgeon some day...so I think you could probably say he is a sharp kid. You also cannot measure how fame and money will affect guys, but it sounds like Tannehill has it together...I think Weeden is the same way...he has already handled pressure as a professional baseball player.

Awsi Dooger
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM

No kidding. Where did that come from? His mechanics are so terrific these days it allows an effortless motion that fools fans into believing the arm strength is far less than actual.

As a '72 Dolphin season ticket holder as a kid I still prioritize maintaining the unbeaten season far beyond anything the current team does. For one thing, there's a likelihood of success, not apology for Jeff Ireland or rooting for mediocre players to suddenly be more than mediocre.

Tom Brady's arm strength scared the heck out of me in the final seconds of that '07 season Super Bowl. I knew darn well what he was capable of, particularly given the natural adrenaline of that desperate moment. When he was sacked up the middle my apprehension only grew, worried that the Giants would underrate his arm strength and allow Moss to get behind them. It darn near happened. Check that play, which is available on YouTube. Brady launched it in the neighborhood of 80 yards. It wasn't far from a miracle escape and 19-0. Fortunately Moss was somewhat winded, and several years beyond his absolute peak, when he might have made that play regardless.

dr.jake
04-01-2012, 07:43 PM
had barkley come out he'd be the 4/5th rated qb and suddenly he's a top ten talent? draft value is late 20's tops imo.