PDA

View Full Version : NFLN: Two NFL Personel people talk about Tannehill

Crzynick25
03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
One was a GM for the Broncos for over 10 years and the other has been the director of scouting for multiple teams and is currently the director of player personnel for the Rams. They were both in complete agreement that Tannehill is a big reach in the top 10 of the draft. They both say that the only reason for consideration in the top 10 is based 100% on teams need for a QB and since Luck and RG III are as good as taken that Tannehill with get an big upgrade in draft status due to need and not talent.

I feel like as a team we have WAY too many other needs to blow a top 10 pick on a guy who needs a lot of development time and purely talent wise may not even be a 1st round pick.

dlockz
03-31-2012, 05:13 PM
One was a GM for the Broncos for over 10 years and the other has been the director of scouting for multiple teams and is currently the director of player personnel for the Rams. They were both in complete agreement that Tannehill is a big reach in the top 10 of the draft. They both say that the only reason for consideration in the top 10 is based 100% on teams need for a QB and since Luck and RG III are as good as taken that Tannehill with get an big upgrade in draft status due to need and not talent.

I feel like as a team we have WAY too many other needs to blow a top 10 pick on a guy who needs a lot of development time and purely talent wise may not even be a 1st round pick.

I remember people saying the same thing about phillip Rivers when people thought we had a chance to pick him. We cant keep ignoring ab or praying that the 5th best prospect is the answer

Kane337
03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
If Mike Mayock says he's a franchise QB then he probably is. He is rarely wrong.

dolpns13
03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Rather draft Blackmon or Lloyd. Tannehill isnt worthy of a top 8 selection.

DKphin
03-31-2012, 05:56 PM
If Mike Mayock says he's a franchise QB then he probably is. He is rarely wrong.I like Mayock, but to say he is rarely wrong would be a mistake.

JRoX85
03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
So your taking the word of 2 of the most qb starved and offensively deprived teams in the nfl saying he is not top 10 material???

DrCpa
03-31-2012, 07:30 PM
If Mike Mayock says he's a franchise QB then he probably is. He is rarely wrong.

Question is what do the dolphins think. If they believe he is a franchise QB and he is there at 8 they have to take him.

datruth55
03-31-2012, 08:19 PM
I've been watching NFLN most of the day. Mayock is the only guy on there that thinks Tannehill is worth a top 10 pick. Casserly says there is no way Cleveland takes him at #4 because there are 6 elite player in this draft and they need to grab one (he thinks they should take Trent Richardson who is #2 overall on his board), he also said he could justify Miami taking Tannehill at #8. Lombardi said he doesn't think Tannehill is a top 10 pick but could become a starter eventually in the league, he said he doesn't think he'll be an elite QB and is pretty dead set against drafting Tannehill in the top 10 sees him as a good fit for Cleveland at their #22. Brian Billick was also against Tannehill in the top 10 and said buyer beware if you hitch yourself to him and take him in the top 10 because if he's a bust it will cost you your job. The two former GMs/Personnel guys they have as guests via video conference were also against taking him in the top 10.

So out of 6 guys that rated Tannehill the only one who would take him in the top 5 is Mayock who is very good at player evaluations but has never worked in a front office in the NFL while the 5 other guys were against it. IMO he'll be sitting there at #8 for us if we want him and I agree with Casserly's evaluation of him and what his value is and that we probably need to take him out of necessity.

Incidently all these guys said he needs to sit for a year and probably two...which I also agree with.

Valandui
03-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Still rather have him than Griffin.

Myles Fynch
03-31-2012, 08:35 PM
If you are picking in the top ten you need to land a stud, no excuses.

silverfin
03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Still rather have him than Griffin.

Who Tannehill? Rather than RGIII?

Really?

jlfin
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
I think he's a better prospect than Locker, Ponder and Dalton were last yr. I also think he's a better prospect than Sanchez and about on par with Flacco.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
If we had still had our previous coaching staff, I'd be against drafting him in the top-10. But I think when you have a staff with a proven track record of developing QB's, and you have a guy with Tannehill's skill set, the pick makes sense. And, he should sit for a year or two.

Valandui
03-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Who Tannehill? Rather than RGIII?

Really?
Yup. I have Luck, Weeden, and Tannehill ahead of him, in that order.

mmikel30
04-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Were taking Melvin Ingram at 8 and Brock Osweiler in the second

rent this space
04-02-2012, 01:33 AM
I remember people saying the same thing about phillip Rivers when people thought we had a chance to pick him. We cant keep ignoring ab or praying that the 5th best prospect is the answer
Completely agree, this is the type of thinking that has kept the Dolphins from their franchise QB for too long. Also, with the rookie salary cap, missing on 1st round QB isn't as devastating as it used to be