PDA

View Full Version : If Browns beat out Phins at #4, the newest "1st Round QB"

NYPhin24
03-31-2012, 08:51 PM
In no way am i endorsing this situation,just sharing the news, however if the Browns are the new serious threat for selecting Tannehill....

ASU Quarterback Brock Osweiler's draft stock seems to really be on the rise and now according to Gil Brandt will "receive 1st round consideration"

Mentioned in the video is the similarity in athleticism between Brock and Tannehill as well as the lack of starting experience in college, most of the analysts in the video seem very unsure of putting Brock in the 1st round, however like we have seen teams dont care anymore because they know if they dont have a QB they dont have a chance and teams are getting desperate and "Reaching" on players

If Tannehill is gone and Ireland and Philbin dont feel anyone left on the board is worth #8, they could trade out the spot and just keep trading back and collecting picks to fill all the other holes on the team and if they feel Brock has that franchise QB potential (they were at his pro-day yesterday) trade back into the late 20's and select the ASU QB

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/did-strong-workout-vault-qb-osweiler-into-first-round/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Osweiler weighed in at 238 pounds on Friday; his height was not measured, but at the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine) he measured 6-foot-6 7/8. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 and 4.97 seconds indoors on FieldTurf. He threw for those in attendance, but did not do any other drills.
The scripted throwing session was run by Noel Mazzone, who recently left the Arizona State coaching staff to become an assistant at UCLA. Osweiler threw 72 passes, with seven hitting the ground. The seven misses were not, however, an indicator of wildness; his accuracy was very good. He presented himself very well, which is important for a quarterback, and interacted well with his receivers.
Despite his height, he is very flexible and has a solid throwing platform. Mazzone has worked with him to correct a tendency to drop his elbow, which Osweiler avoided doing on Friday.
Based on Friday’s workout, I think Osweiler vaulted himself into the first round on draft day. He will likely work out for a number of teams; there is a lot of excitement surrounding him. His showing Friday was somewhat surprising; I think he exceeded the expectations of everybody in attendance.
Osweiler, an outstanding high-school athlete from Montana, has a lot of upside, and some team with a need at the position will be tempted late in the first round.

LarryFinFan
03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Most draft pundits and scouts still have him as a 4th round prospect...

NYPhin24
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Also adding more of a threat to Tannehill being gone....Report: Rams Will Consider Trading No. 6 Pick In NFL Draft (http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/31/report-rams-will-consider-trading-no-6-pick-in-nfl-draft/)
http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/31/report-rams-will-consider-trading-no-6-pick-in-nfl-draft/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

The St. Louis Rams have already traded down in this spring’s NFL draft once, moving the No. 2 pick to the Washington Redskins for a boatload of later selections. Now there’s a chance the Rams move down again,reports Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/will-rams-move-out-of-no-spot/article_9099f28a-7aaf-11e1-adc1-0019bb30f31a.html).
“We would move down because we’d expect there to be a number of good players there,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher told Thomas. “Not because our guy wouldn’t be there [at No. 6]. Clearly, we have a number of needs.”
The Rams dealt the No. 2 selection to the Redskins three weeks ago — in exchange, they got the No. 6 this year, plus the Redskins’ first-round picks in 2013 and 2014. The teams also swapped second-rounders in the deal.
With the No. 6, the Rams are eyeing either the top offensive tackle in the draft (Matt Kalil), the top cornerback (Morris Claiborne), the top wide receiver (Justin Blackmon) or the top running back (Trent Richardson). But if the player they want isn’t there sixth, the Rams may make a move.
“I don’t see it happening until the draft,” Fisher said.

dlockz
03-31-2012, 08:57 PM

personally have seen most people rate him as a second rounder but many say he may sneak late in first round

NYPhin24
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM

i know i heard that in the video, but most "draft pundits" had Jamarcuss Russell as the #1 over all pick, i can list a hundreds of good analysis "draft pundits" had given and were 100% right on......but i could also list 100 times they were 100% terribly wrong on their analysis

Mogwai
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
That's outrageous. People call Tannehill a reach in the 1st but by comparison this is tearing off your arm and throwing it. I've seen him play. No.

Anvil35
03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
He reminds me of Dan McGuire a bunch of years back. No thanks...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/31/in-survey-of-nine-teams-eight-call-osweiler-a-fourth-round-prospect/

The Confessor
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
That's outrageous. People call Tannehill a reach in the 1st but by comparison this is tearing off your arm and throwing it. I've seen him play. No.

Talk all you want.

I have seen Tannyhill play PLENTY. I have posted TONS of video of him "Playing", yet everybody has him as their OVERWHELMING favorite at #8.

I hope he is still overwhelming at #40 or whatever our second pick is...............

dlockz
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Talk all you want.

I have seen Tannyhill play PLENTY. I have posted TONS of video of him "Playing", yet everybody has him as their OVERWHELMING favorite at #8.

I hope he is still overwhelming at #40 or whatever our second pick is...............

Tannehill will be long gone at 40 but Weeden will be there.

fishbanger
03-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Dolphins can only control what falls to them. Lets just hope is a great player. I think the only player the JAGs wont draft is Richardson so they may trade down if he falls.

I think the the draft to play out correctly for the phins is for Browns to draft Blackmon. Rams will probably take either Blackmon or Clairborne but want to trade Richardson if he falls to them.

tampa may draft Richardson as they have the QB and WR weapons set. If I were Bucs I would hope Richardson falls to me. Browns are the key to it all for the phins.

The Confessor
03-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Tannehill will be long gone at 40 but Weeden will be there.

I'm sure there is a point here, but it is obviously way way beyond my intelligence level.

Mr. Day
03-31-2012, 10:15 PM
If they draft this guy in the first round, Ireland would get fired immediately. This guy would be a sitting target. He is a fourth rounder at best.

Roman529
04-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I watch most of ASU guys as an alum and my unbiased opinion is he is NOT a first rounder, but he is not a tall stiff QB like Dan McGwire. Dan couldn't run or move and was a statue.....Osweiler moves very well....he has fluid hips and can run for first downs when called upon. I think playing basketball helped with Osweiler's speed and movement. Osweiler has a strong arm....maybe not as strong as another QB like Joe Flacco, but he is way faster than Flacco and I doubt he gets sacked as often as Flacco when he turns pro.

I think Osweiler would probably be a 3rd round prospect in most years, but there may be a run on QB's, so he could move up....I think somewhere around the 40th pick is realistic for Osweiler. I would take Osweiler before Weeden just because he is about 7 years younger. I think Cousins of Michigan State is probably a little more pro ready but probably doesn't have as much upside as Osweiler. If I were the Phin's GM and couldn't get Tannehill, I would consider Osweiler and Cousins, but I would prefer taking a WR or TE, and risk waiting to see what is available in the third round.

Pinkboy
04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Osweiler's recognition and feel in the pocket is total garbage. All the good QB's had it coming out of college from Elway, Rodgers, Marino, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady etc etc. Great pocket feel and presence is a COMMON DENOMINATOR for good QB's and they either "have it", or they don't. This extremely important criteria and attribute should automatically be 50% of anyone's grade on a college QB coming into the NFL. Cam Newton wouldn't have been half the QB he was last year if it wasn't for his unbelievable instincts and feel in the pocket.

Those guys that don't have this incredibly important attribute just never make it at the next level. PERIOD. see John Beck, Gabbert, Henne etc etc etc. And it's why Landry Jones will be a total dud in the NFL when he gets drafted next year. Same for Osweiler.

AVOID !!!

he would be a TOTAL waste of a draft pick, even in the 7th round.

AVOID him like the plague !!!!

Ricky4Life
04-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I still think if we miss on Tannehill that we will take Cousins.

BassFin
04-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I still think if we miss on Tannehill that we will take Cousins.

Agreed.

phinfan33
04-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I still think if we miss on Tannehill that we will take Cousins.I agree with this.

Ed Norton
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Does Weeden have a meth addiction I haven't heard about yet?

LANGER72
04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Stop with all the QB talk at #8. There is no one left on the board worth taking that high. Tannehill is a 2nd round pick in any other year.
We need to draft play makers and draft a project QB and ride with Matt Moore this season.
We can make a play for Barkley or Landry Jones next year.