PDA

View Full Version : We could trade down with Eagles if Tannehill at 8

finfan54
04-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I have checked out some things on the draft order. The Eagles have #15 in 1st round and have two seconds with #46 and 51 (from Cardinals). If Ryan Tannehill is there at 8 I think an awesome trade down is with the Eagles. #51 has similar value for them to move up to 8. Teams will be more willing to move up since players are cheaper now and less risky. If they want Coples or someone else, we could easily find them in a partner.

The fact that Arizona does not have a 2nd rounder I do not believe they would go for Tannehill. I also do not believe Seattle will with Flynn. Buffalo needs other positions even though they might flirt with it.

Henceforth, I believe the Eagles would be a nice trade partner. If we get there #51 then we have:
That is six picks in top 100+ That is one way to get every position of need and upgrade IMO

Mudder1310
04-01-2012, 11:24 PM
It also depends how bad Miami wants Tannehill. If they want they could move down, go with Moore all year, and simply draft BPA with all those picks. That would fill holes as well as add depth. There are at least 3 quality QB coming out next year we could target.

state06
04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
if it worked out that way, it would be awesome, but I wouldn't try to get too cute if they see Tannehill as a franchise QB

BlueFin
04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
If you have a conviction on a QB...you don't gamble on him sliding down and risk losing him. Quarterbacks are too important.

Mudder1310
04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
There are plenty of examples of very good, championship even, teams with just game manager QBs. The Ravens with Dilfer and Flacco, Giants with Simms, Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson. Do I want a great QB? Of course, but I think it would be dumb to make big reaches when you have plenty of needs and there are better value players.

mrbunglez
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
There are plenty of examples of very good, championship even, teams with just game manager QBs. The Ravens with Dilfer and Flacco, Giants with Simms, Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson. Do I want a great QB? Of course, but I think it would be dumb to make big reaches when you have plenty of needs and there are better value players.

Sorry but if we have a chance at Tannehill and they believe he can be a franchise QB take him at 8. That mentality of picking better value players and keeping a "game manager" QB has worked out real well for us since Marino left hasnt it?

datruth55
04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't see the Eagles trading up for Coples when all of the former GMs on NFLN all say he's not a top 10 pick. Great talent with not enough production which they view as a red flag. Eagles are also working Tannehill out this week and I think they feel he may drop to 15 which is where his value really lies but probably won't last that long. If the Eagles trade up, which I don't think they will, it will be to take Tannehill. Lets remember that Andy Reid has been given more say over personnel and he may feel Tannehill, with some coaching, would be a better option than Vick and Kafka. The Eagles would be able to sit him for a couple of years before having to play him. Plus Vick has never been able to stay healthy.

I do think a more realistic player the Eagles would trade up for is Kuechly but not to 8...maybe more like 9 in front of Buffalo cause I think they're a threat to take Kuechly. Regardless if we dropped below Seattle and Kansas City Tannehill is not dropping to us.

ckparrothead
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know if I see the Eagles making a trade up for any player. They might be more inclined toward trading down. Andy Reid likes to trade, but it's not always a trade up for the guy he wants, a lot of times it's a trade down.

The Titans are the team to watch out for moving up. They need defensive help that they're not going to get at #20 overall. Think Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, or Morris Claiborne.

Chart value on a move up from #20 to #8 involves the Titans giving up their 2nd (#52) and 3rd (#82) round picks. But they could potentially push one of those off into 2013. That would give Joe Philbin 5 picks in the top 100 in 2012, and another 5 picks in the top 100 in 2013. That's a lot to work with that helps you shape the roster the way you want.

datruth55
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't know if I see the Eagles making a trade up for any player. They might be more inclined toward trading down. Andy Reid likes to trade, but it's not always a trade up for the guy he wants, a lot of times it's a trade down.

The Titans are the team to watch out for moving up. They need defensive help that they're not going to get at #20 overall. Think Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, or Morris Claiborne.

Chart value on a move up from #20 to #8 involves the Titans giving up their 2nd (#52) and 3rd (#82) round picks. But they could potentially push one of those off into 2013. That would give Joe Philbin 5 picks in the top 100 in 2012, and another 5 picks in the top 100 in 2013. That's a lot to work with that helps you shape the roster the way you want.
You'd end up having to use all those picks next year in a trade up to get the QB you want unless we have a worse record next year and that's not something you want to bank on.

Mudder1310
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry but if we have a chance at Tannehill and they believe he can be a franchise QB take him at 8. That mentality of picking better value players and keeping a "game manager" QB has worked out real well for us since Marino left hasnt it?
It worked a few years with Feidler. It was working when Pennington was healthy. No one complained about that turnaround. If he hadn't blown up his shoulder I'd venture to say we'd have been a consistent playoff team. Just because it hasn't worked for us isn't the bellweather of if that system does work. Geez, the Browns were perennial champ game suitors with Kosar, and he couldn't throw a ball out of his own shadow.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Eagles now need a Right Tackle in the worst way with the recent Peters injury (he is out next year with an achilles injury). They will not trade up for that, doubt they trade down either. Several good tackles will be there for them, and they can't wait for the second round.

Roman529
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I am on a lot of Philly forums as I am a big Phillie's fan, and some Igg's fans love the thought of moving up to get Tannehill but some really hate it and can't stand the thought. Many of them want Kuechly with the 15th pick. I think our 8th pick for their 15th and second rounder would be a pretty fair trade.

JRoX85
04-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Why would the eagles trade up when they signed vick to a huge contract??? I just don't understand the logic behind these threads. The eagles have no need for a qb at 8. Vikings invested in ponder so they are out, Seattle got flynn so they are out, Arizona signed Kolb to a huge deal so they will give him another year, Jacksonville is gonna give Gabbert another year. The only team imo that is thinking of Tanahill is the Browns, and they have more holes to fill than a closet full of moths and t-shirts..

2413fanphins
04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
true a lot of people didn't complain about the 11-5 turnaround... BUT some of us knew damn good and well, it wasn't a long lasting turnaround... weakest schedule in the league, coupled with brady going down... some people knew it would be short lived.... we weren't built for long term success. the last three years we have seen the ripple effect, even moreso than the last 12 years.

datruth55
04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Why would the eagles trade up when they signed vick to a huge contract??? I just don't understand the logic behind these threads. The eagles have no need for a qb at 8. Vikings invested in ponder so they are out, Seattle got flynn so they are out, Arizona signed Kolb to a huge deal so they will give him another year, Jacksonville is gonna give Gabbert another year. The only team imo that is thinking of Tanahill is the Browns, and they have more holes to fill than a closet full of moths and t-shirts..
I wouldn't count Seattle out. Flynn got a 3 year deal, Jackson has 1 or 2 years left on his deal. Everyone knows Tannehill needs to sit for a year or two, seems like it would line up nicely for them. He'd be starting in the last year of Flynn's contract so you have a first year starter backed up by a player with two years experience as a starter at that point. Good insurance policy.

Plus Carroll traded for Whitehurst two years ago when he came in the league, Whitehurst is now back in San Diego, signed Tavaras Jackson after he let Hasselbeck walk...the QB position there has been in constant flux since Carroll became head coach. Don't think he's going to settle on a QB any time soon. If he doesn't take Tannehill, provided he falls to him or Seattle tries to trade up for him, he'll draft a QB at some point in this draft. A 3 year deal for Flynn is not a sign of commitment.

hooshoops
04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
seattles out...they'll give flynn 2012...kc is a potential player...the eagles aren't taking tanny at #15...thats a waste of time to worry about them...its cleveland if they trade down a few spots and kc and miami in the top half of round 1 for tanny

finfan54
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I am on a lot of Philly forums as I am a big Phillie's fan, and some Igg's fans love the thought of moving up to get Tannehill but some really hate it and can't stand the thought. Many of them want Kuechly with the 15th pick. I think our 8th pick for their 15th and second rounder would be a pretty fair trade.

I dont think the Eagles would be willing to trade up for Tannehill as some people misconstrued. I think they would go up for someone like Kuechly. I know teams like the Bills and others should have their eye on him. I think this is one player worth noting.

The risk associated with trading up is not the same and the money is less and them giving up #51 I think would be worth it for them. Not saying it will happen but I think trading down is a serious thought by Ireland.

I do not think even the Browns will take Tannehill and other teams will not. Arizona is one who is a darkhorse IMO but as I mentioned before, the eagles have their #51 so Arizona will look to shore up another position.

I also think Cincy and Dallas might be trade partners because of this less risk and they will know that Ireland has a desire to move down every year. If they want a player like Kuechly, then there you go. You get your player at 8 with good value and less money spent.

phinDE
04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Eagles are only on the hook with Vick's contract for one more year (this year), so essentially they could take Tannehill and start him next year.

kvado16
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
There's been rumors that the Eagles have been wanting to trade up to take Tannehill, so we'd essentially be screwing ourselves.

insomnia411
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Kansas city is a possible trade down partner for Tannehill as well. I think we'll have an opportunity to trade down and pick up another 2nd whether Tannehill is there or not, and we should definitely do it. This team has too many needs not to.