PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins with UM Draft Prospects on Wednesday and Thursday...

JCane
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
And some former University of Miami players sound a bit slighted by their hometown team.

It's something that I've never understood myself. I'm sure many of you share the same thoughts on this.

It's not secret that I was all over this board SCREAMING to draft Jimmy Graham when we were (and still are) in need of a Tight End threat.

Tommy Streeter is another Miami draft prospect that Ireland should really go after. Kid can burn and he has size. All he needs is to pack on some pounds. Tommy can go up and snatch footballs out of the air with anyone.

McKinnie said he, Reed and Jeremy Shockey used to talk about finishing their careers with the Dolphins, but “the Dolphins wouldn’t do that. In college, we all said we would take pay cuts to come to the Dolphins.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2012/03/suspension-set-for-marlins-oviedo-former-canes-greats-puzzled-by-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2012/03/suspension-set-for-marlins-oviedo-former-canes-greats-puzzled-by-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

ITS!MATEO
04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Wouldn't want to mess up our always winning team with a bunch of future pro bowl Thugs :rolleyes2:

Nah, but seriously we should take Streeter. Kid has a lot of upside.

2413fanphins
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I know i generally, shake my head every time we let another player from the u go by. Id like to see streeter and miller on the team to be honest. I think if you keep putting good football players on your team, you will find success.

fishfanmiami
04-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd look at Travis Benjamin to return kicks and as a WC slot guy. Probably get him in the 4th round or so. Him and Gates going deep. That's a lot of speed.

TedSlimmJr
04-02-2012, 10:51 PM
The issue you run into recently with 9 out of 10 prospects from Miami is that even the one's worth a draft pick are so underdeveloped that it's difficult to get a bead on their progress as football players. Scouts don't like that.

When you watch the tape of them as Juniors/Seniors and they still look like they did as freshmen, you have to dig and dig some more to find out whether it's lack of coaching or lack of effort on behalf of the player, or both.

Some of them tend to be late bloomers and reach their potential once they get into the NFL and are able to get more coaching on a daily basis. You might as well throw darts trying to predict which one's will (Jimmy Graham, Sam Shields, etc.) and which one's won't (Brandon Harris, Kareem Brown, etc.)

There's no way a scout could've come away under the impression that Jimmy Graham was a better football player than Brandon Harris based on their college careers.

The Dolphins haven't had the coaching in place to get blood from any of these turnips coming out of the Hurricanes program.

JCane
04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Underdevelopment is a huge issue.

But the fact is, South Florida is breeding grounds for elite football talent. If Sam Shields can do NOTHING in college and then contribute the way he contributed to Green Bay, then you might want to take a look at Miami players a second time.

I've always been reserved in who to draft from Miami because I don't let my emotions get involved, but I don't know how you can say scouts couldn't tell Jimmy Graham was a better football player than Brandon Harris. I could see it six years ago when I said Graham was playing the wrong sport for us. Harris is undersized at the NFL level with the way the rule changes now benefit the offenses. No way is he tackling anything over 225lbs.

Jimmy Graham was very raw but had some serious upside. Couldn't believe we didn't take a shot at him when he played so well in the Senior Bowl.

Travis Benjamin...not that big on him. Kid plays when he wants. I hate that. Elite speed without question. Size is an issue...one big hit and he could lose his head.

DefensiveEnd76
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Streeter is just another Patrick Turner. No thank you

JCane
04-02-2012, 11:51 PM

wut

:lol:

ITS!MATEO
04-03-2012, 12:09 AM

From what I remember, Pat Turner was about as fast as my Grandma and had brick hands...

Streeter runs a mid 4.3 so....... :ponder:

JCane
04-03-2012, 12:19 AM
From what I remember, Pat Turner was about as fast as my Grandma and had brick hands...

Streeter runs a mid 4.3 so....... :ponder:

He can also jump over the moon.

CANDolphan
04-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Streeter is a pure project. He's tall and fast but doesn't catch the ball naturally at all. He also runs terrible routes but he's only been a starting WR for a season so I'll forgive that.

JCane
04-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Streeter is a pure project. He's tall and fast but doesn't catch the ball naturally at all. He also runs terrible routes but he's only been a starting WR for a season so I'll forgive that.

Not to mention he was in between wide receiver coaches as well.

Aubrey Hill left and went back to Florida.

We had so much talent at the WR spot that just flopped. You don't miss on that much talent at one position. It's coaching.

Randy Shannon sucked. Golden isn't an offensive guru.

But Streeter can play.

eger
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Streeter didn't do much for the Canes, and Spence was good but I think over-rated on a defense with very little impact players.

foozool13
04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Id like to grab Brandon Washington OG in round 4 or 5.

CANDolphan
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Streeter just doesn't have the natural hands that I like. It's why I'm so high on a guy like Floyd, and I've hated prospects like Troy Williamson and (we all know now I was horribly wrong) Santonio Holmes.

Mudder1310
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Dolphins have been passing on UM players since Armstead and Barrows. It's almost like they do it on purpose, just because they are familiar with them.

Twitches Brew
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
JoJo Nicolas is the truth! Was a victim of the unease at UMiami; he had to play both CB and S within the same season (largely because he was the best player/athlete in the secondary). He can handle either position because he's smart, long and has surprisingly quick feet for his size. Also the surest tackler they had on the back line. I'm really hoping the phins take him somewhere in the last couple rounds. He can be a steal, and he will succeed.