PDA

View Full Version : Claiborne scores a 4 on the wonderlic?

LordPicklewagon
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Seriously. Has this been confirmed? I just heard this on local sports radio and they have been talking about this for the past 1/2 hour. To be honest, it has little relevance at certain positions. I mean does it matter how high of a grade a RB got. Just give him the ball and let him run. Claiborne is a hell of a player and i would jump on him if by some miracle he fell to 8 but even if you blindly guessed, the chances are you will score higher than a 4.

I dont know how many answers there are per question but if there are 5, blindly guessing gives you a 20% chance of getting it right. If there are 50 questions and you blindly guess at every one, then over the long run the average would be a 10. Thats 2 1/2 times what Claiborne scored.

So I'm assuming that he didnt know one answer on the entire test. Thats incredible when you actually look at what some of the questions over the years were.

hooshoops
04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
i could care less what a corner scores on the wonderlic...especially one with man to man skills and ball skills and mirror abilities claiborne possesses...non issue

JCane
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
21 is average intelligence. 14 is an unskilled worker. Anything less is mentally inept.

So basically, this kid wakes up, ****s and pisses on himself, and then runs full speed into a wall.

Eff a playbook. Hand this kid a coloring book.

Mudder1310
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
The wonderlic is 50 questions, the score is a general association to IQ, double the score and add 60.

LordPicklewagon
04-03-2012, 11:47 AM
i could care less what a corner scores on the wonderlic...especially one with man to man skills and ball skills and mirror abilities claiborne possesses...non issue

Oh i agree its a non issue. Im just kinda flabbergasted that someone could score that low and it was more a commentary on that rather than how it would affect his play on the field.

ROADRUNNER
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Man that is thick, but he's a very good player and some team will pick up a bargin...........

foozool13
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
It was also being reported that he probably didnt give a **** about the test and the wonderlic is a non-factor for almost every position other than QB.

TedSlimmJr
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Cornerback isn't an analytical position, it's an instinctive position based on technique, reflex, athletic ability, and recovery speed. A high wonderlic is often just as much of a red flag as a low one. It means your subject to overthink instead of reacting.... which results in not playing the game to your full speed.

Morris Claiborne was far and away the best defensive back in college football last season. He plays every technique from press to off-man and plays them well. If you've ever listened to this kid speak, you know he's not an idiot.

John Chavis' runs a rather complex defensive scheme and Claiborne mastered it mentally. As long as he can come in and learn a system in the NFL, he'll be a DROY candidate by the end of the season.

Football IQ and the Wonderlic are two entirely different measures.

I believe Revis only scored a 10. He's quite skilled at his craft.

sinPHIN
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
if he was a qb then people should be worried. he probly showed up and didnt give a crap

MarshallFin1
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Cornerback isn't an analytical position, it's an instinctive position based on technique, reflex, athletic ability, and recovery speed. A high wonderlic is often just as much of a red flag as a low one. It means your subject to overthink instead of reacting.... which results in not playing the game to your full speed.

Morris Claiborne was far and away the best defensive back in college football last season. He plays every technique from press to off-man and plays them well. If you've ever listened to this kid speak, you know he's not an idiot.

John Chavis' runs a rather complex defensive scheme and Claiborne mastered it mentally. As long as he can come in and learn a system in the NFL, he'll be a DROY candidate by the end of the season.

Football IQ and the Wonderlic are two entirely different measures.

I believe Revis only scored a 10. He's quite skilled at his craft.

This is actually a good thing, now maybe he will drop to us. He could be dum as a box of rocks for all i care but if he hangs on to those picks 6's i saw him do at lsu and can count to 10, come on down claiborne to the mia!

datruth55
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Patrick Peterson scored a 9. It's just part of that excellent academic institution called LSU.

Roman529
04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Claiborne can still play football, but damn, how do score a 4??? Vince Young got a 6 on his first try and then a 16 on his second. I took this test pretty quickly online a few years back and I think I got a 35. It's much easier then taking the SAT or GRE test. If Claiborne were to drop to the #8 spot and Tannehill is off the board, I would still be ok with taking him. I think Dan Marino got a 16, and he turned out alright.

ROADRUNNER
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Claiborne can still play football, but damn, how do score a 4??? Vince Young got a 6 on his first try and then a 16 on his second. I took this test pretty quickly online a few years back and I think I got a 35. It's much easier then taking the SAT or GRE test. If Claiborne were to drop to the #8 spot and Tannehill is off the board, I would still be ok with taking him. I think Dan Marino got a 16, and he turned out alright.

Same here i got 31....how can you get 4.

Roman529
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I could just see Jeff Ireland getting on the phone with Claiborne if he is there are #8 and saying, "Are you going to retake the Wonderlic test Morris?"

Morris- "You want me to do what?" :lol:

next-year
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt marino get an 8 or something close to that?

LordPicklewagon
04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Morris Claiborne does have the distinction of being the only person taking the wonderlic who spelled his name with a 4 and to answer 6 of the questions with the Superman Symbol

j-off-her-doll
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
21 is average intelligence. 14 is an unskilled worker. Anything less is mentally inept.

So basically, this kid wakes up, ****s and pisses on himself, and then runs full speed into a wall.

Eff a playbook. Hand this kid a coloring book.

lmfao

sn9ke.eyes
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Not saying it affects his skills but if true I feel it reflects poorly on his character if he didn't even care enough to try.

retarmyfinfan
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Vince Young is feeling real good about right now.

TedSlimmJr
04-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Read the bottom two paragraphs here carefully....

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7770388/2012-nfl-draft-morris-claiborne-top-cb-prospect-scored-4-wonderlic-sources-say

Pinkboy
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Marino was a total dumb a$$ on the wonderlic too

That always ends these arguments

TedSlimmJr
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
The Wonderlic wasn't designed to be administered on athletes.

You would think all of the scholars around here would at least be somewhat familiar with Gardner's multiple intelligence theory.

Blaine Gabbert scored a 42 and couldn't play football if his life depended on it. He'd have a brighter future in a lab as opposed to in the pocket.

Frank Gore - 6

Ladanian Tomlinson - 13

PSU Cane
04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Does the wonderlic matter for where Claiborne will get drafted? No...he's still a great player.

BUT....these kids are supposed to be "student athletes", which is a COMPLETE joke. Many of these kids shouldn't be allowed on a college campus, let alone receive passing college test scores or graduate. It's a mockery of the educational system as a whole and a slap in the face to those kids who really do put in the time to earn good grades. Even more sad than that is the fact this kid is about to be handed a sh!tload of money and probably has no clue how to handle it, how to invest, how to live his life b/c he might not be able to even read or comprehend simple questions. That's sad. It really is. And that is why many of these kids end up broke in their 30's.

I feel bad for Claiborne. The system has failed him. Many won't agree b/c he's about to make millions, but it did. And for ever Claiborne making millions there's hundreds/thousands of kids making nothing.....and they are forgotten.

Kdawg954
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Randall Hill was on WQAM talking about this . . . he said he knows of instances where guys literally "freeball" the entire test, w/o even looking at questions or anything. Says it has zero effect on their ability to play football and they have so many things to worry about during the combine that they won't even try.

I hope all the teams in the league feel strongly about the Wonderlic tho, he can "score a 4" all the way down to the 42nd pick :lol:

(I know won't happen).

PSU Cane
04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Randall Hill was on WQAM talking about this . . . he said he knows of instances where guys literally "freeball" the entire test, w/o even looking at questions or anything. Says it has zero effect on their ability to play football and they have so many things to worry about during the combine that they won't even try.

I hope all the teams in the league feel strongly about the Wonderlic tho, he can "score a 4" all the way down to the 42nd pick :lol:

(I know won't happen).

I'm sure that's true for some, but i bet some of the guys who do that are only doing it b/c they know they are going to score low and it's so much easier to say "yeah, i scored low b/c i didn't care and really didn't read the thing" than it is to actually take it seriously and still score low. Others just don't care....and for those it makes you wonder how serious they'll be and how much they'll care about the job once they have it if they don't even care about the interview process.

Dogbone34
04-03-2012, 08:16 PM
4 is not a bad score

- signed wood

Kdawg954
04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnRu0aSt76o

Kdawg954
04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VliWDGJ101s

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Certainly doesn't sound like an idiot in these 2 interviews. Seems like a humble guy that will be a cornerstone on a defense for the next decade +

rent this space
04-03-2012, 08:54 PM
"...(for cornerbacks) basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed..." LMAO

LordPicklewagon
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
4 is not a bad score

- signed wood

Well played sir

PJack
04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
"...(for cornerbacks) basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed..." LMAO

Just to give that context.....so maybe Claiborne knew this and want to set the record for worst score ever so scouts would think he's be the best CB ever.....or he's just a dumbass.

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told The Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to [football] performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

hooshoops
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
randall hill should have worried about being a good player...he wasn't

datruth55
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
The Wonderlic wasn't designed to be administered on athletes.

You would think all of the scholars around here would at least be somewhat familiar with Gardner's multiple intelligence theory.

Blaine Gabbert scored a 42 and couldn't play football if his life depended on it. He'd have a brighter future in a lab as opposed to in the pocket.

Frank Gore - 6

Ladanian Tomlinson - 13
Frank Gore has a learning disability though...he worked twice as hard in the classroom to make grades than other guys because he had to. In high school when they identified him with a learning disability they were going to move him to special classes but he refused because he knew that it meant he'd never be able to go to college and he wanted to play for the University of Miami.

TedSlimmJr
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Frank Gore has a learning disability though...he worked twice as hard in the classroom to make grades than other guys because he had to. In high school when they identified him with a learning disability they were going to move him to special classes but he refused because he knew that it meant he'd never be able to go to college and he wanted to play for the University of Miami.

Claiborne is reported to have a learning disability too, and got through college by committing himself to daily tutoring....

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/04/morris-claiborne-wonderlic-result-leaked/1#.T3vUfPBST4F

Claiborne was one of the few players at LSU that weren't getting into trouble or getting suspended. Apparently he makes just as good a decisions off the field as he does on it.... he didn't follow the crowd.

All this was most likely intentionally leaked by a team trying to get him to slide. It happens every year. Welcome to the NFL draft.

Dogbone34
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
my comment about Claiborne was just for fun

I think he is an exceptional talent

LANGER72
04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
He got the 4 points for arriving on time and spelling his name right.

MiamiMuss
04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.nicholascreative.com/footballiq/ Here you guys go.

When you get a 4 you dont give to ****s about it.

phinsno1_fan
04-05-2012, 07:43 AM
A.J Green and Patrick Peterson scored below a 10 last year. What kinda players did they turn out to be. GREAT

Zounds
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
A.J Green and Patrick Peterson scored below a 10 last year. What kinda players did they turn out to be. GREAT

Peterson actually sucked at CB. Great returner though, although Ive never seen a player used exclusively for KR drafted that high.