PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Player Interest

Boomer
04-03-2012, 06:16 PM
This is from Miami Meets in today's Draft Winds.

OK, here’s who the Dolphins have been meeting on the offensive side of the ball. We can confirm that Miami have with Robert Griffin III which they did at the Combine. However, they were one of a handful of teams who didn’t make it to Waco for the Bears pro day and therefore didn’t see Kendall Wright. They dined with Ryan Tannehill on the night before his pro day, were on hand during his 60+ throws and then spent 90 minutes working him out privately and getting him up on the chalkboard.

The Dolphins have also spent significant time with San Diego State passer Ryan Lindley who is erratic with his accuracy but shows up significantly on tape and makes more NFL throws than any QB in the draft. He has a legitimate arm, excellent field vision and gets real velocity on his deliveries. He runs Andy Ludwig’s pro-style offense very well and his faults are generally correctable; not enough depth on his deeper drops, he can over extend on his 5 and 7 step drops, and his accuracy issues are in part down to poor footwork.

They spent time with Kirk Cousins at the Combine and the Michigan State pro day and as discussed in the main body of the article, have spoken with OSU’s Brandon Weeden and as previously mentioned here in Draft Winds, they sent a number of scouts including GM Jeff Ireland to Stillwater to see the Cowboys. The Dolphins were also on hand at Arizona State’s pro event to see Brock Osweiler who has a lot of talent but needs work in a number of areas. I saw him compared to former Seattle QB Dan McGwire earlier in the week. Just so we’re clear there is no comparison between the two. McGwire was a 6’8 statue. Osweiler is a former basketball recruit with good mobility.

Miami has also spent time with Arizona’s Nick Foles who is being knocked for a poor pro day but if you want to truly get a handle on Foles then watch the tape. He threw 1,403 passes in games at Michigan State and with the Wildcats. They have a lot more significance than what he did or didn’t do in shorts at Tempe. The Dolphins were on hand in Cincinnati to watch the work out of undersized passer Zach Collaros. He’s mobile, has good touch and excellent pocket awareness but he’s 5’11 and plays almost entirely out of the shotgun. I suspect he might be CFL bound because he has some talent. They also were one of 17 teams on hand to see developmental QB Dominique Davis who at 6’3, 218lbs, showcases terrific athletic ability, completing 62% of his passes over the past two seasons. Oregon’s QB Darron Thomas has also met with the Dolphins and may well be coming in for a workout. The leader of the Ducks offense, he was a surprising early entry but is intriguing. He has good size, good short to intermediate accuracy and the ability to manage a game as well as get outside the pocket and make plays. He’s certainly a developmental project but an intriguing one.

Things seem more settled at TB. Miami has shown fairly scant interest in the better backs in the Draft. They were on hand for the workouts of Trent Richardson of Alabama and Lamar Miller of Miami where both Ireland and Brian Gaine attended. Staying in state, Miami have also spent time with Florida scat back Chris Rainey who offers real ability out of the backfield or in the slot. One under the radar RB who Miami have an interest in is Derrick Coleman of UCLA who is 5’11, 230 and ran a 4.56 at his pro day, along with a set of very good numbers in the different drills and in the weight room where he ripped off 20 lifts. Coleman is hearing impaired but it hasn’t hindered his ability and his hands are terrific. Scouts at the UCLA pro day said he “caught the ball like a seasoned receiver”. They also spent some time with Cincinnati TB Isaiah Pead at the Bearcats pro day. They also attended the Oregon State workout to see James Rodgers who is 5’7, 184lbs but improved his forty time significantly from the Combine, running a 4.49, doing 19 reps and jumping 37 inches. Appalachian State’s Travaris Cadet is a player Miami have shown a lot of interest in. He’s 6’0, 212lbs and as a HS QB he turned down Florida and Tennessee to go to Toledo before leaving during the point shaving scandal. He’s played all over the offense and recorded 1,700+ all-purpose yards in 2011. He’s this year’s poor man’s Taiwan Jones. He will fly to Davie for a private workout on April 5th and has said that the Dolphins are showing “a tonne of interest”.

Far more in the draft mix is a back I spoke a couple of weeks ago; Michigan State’s Edwin Baker who said that the Dolphins interviewed him at the Combine. He’s a very interesting character because in 2010 he was excellent but then lost his starting job and really didn’t seem interested as a junior in 2011 and then decided to come out. He’s quick. He has good hands and despite being 5’8, 204lbs, he has some ability in pass pro so has 3rd down possibilities. With Lex Hilliard having departed, it’s no surprise to see that Miami have been showing a lot of interest in FAU’s Alfred Morris who weighs in around the 230lb mark.

Understandably there is significant interest in upgrading the WR and TE positions. Starting with TE, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was waiting to confirm a private workout with Stanford TE Coby Fleener. Well, that happened. Fleener took an under the radar visit to Miami. They’ve also spoken to UCLA TE Cory Harkey who’s 6’3 and a half and 261lbs. He’s no athlete but he’s an impressive blocker. I spoke to Georgia TE Orson Charles who’s seen his stock tumble some since the end of the season. He’s a pure move tight end who might fall down into the 5th round area. He confirmed that Miami have shown interest in him. They’re also showing an awful lot of interest in Division III TE Kyle Fiedorowicz who plays for North Central College in Naperville. At 6’7 and 265 pounds, he ran a 4.67 forty at the Northwestern pro day. He says that no team is showing as much interest as Miami.

At WR, they sent numerous scouts to see Justin Blackmon through the season and have had the Cowboy receiver into Davie for a private workout. They’ve also spoken to Texas A+M’s Jeff Fuller who had a hugely disappointing final season in College Station after looking like a possible early round pick. I’m sure that Mike Sherman will believe he can revert to his previous form because he’s big and physical, he uses his body very well and can go up and get the ball outside his frame. He struggled with drops in 2011. As I mentioned, they were on hand at the Miami pro day and have a legitimate interest in Tommy Streeter who is big and raw. For all the criticism the Dolphins have received about not drafting local players, it would be a shame if they broke that mould with Streeter who runs mainly verticals, is sticky in the hips and doesn’t show much ability to run the route tree. Arkansas’s Greg Childs is a receiver I thought would be a high first round pick 2 seasons ago before a knee injury. He was slow to come back this season but he has looked very strong in this draft off-season and measured in at 212lbs and ran a 4.39 forty at the Arkansas pro day, as well as a 40.5 inch vertical, looking terrific in drills as Miami coaches looked on intently. They also have an interest in Child’s teammate Joe Adams. They’ve spent a lot of time with Marvin McNutt of Iowa who’s well known to Ken O’Keefe and as reported on a number of occasions here, they continue to show interest in California PA receiver Thomas Mayo who has subsequently worked out for Miami. Mayo is one of the most productive receivers in Division III history and more than 20 teams have been out to see the 6’2, 202lber who is only the 15th man in Division III history to have more than 4,000 yards receiving.

The Dolphins paid close attention to the workout of vertical threat Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech with his 30.2ypc average and at LSU to see Reuben Randle. As we reported on Twitter, the Dolphins were on hand at Huntingdon College specifically to see undersized WR Cody Pearcy who ran a 4.31 forty, jumped a 44 inch vertical and recorded the fastest ever short shuttle time of 3.76. This is a kid who has the move ability of a slot WR at the next level, although at 165lbs is going to need to add some weight. The Dolphins took in the Nevada pro day as well, checking out WR Rishard Matthews who had a massive year in 2011 catching 91 balls for 1,364 yards. He had a decent pro day workout and we’re waiting to confirm a visit to Davie. Jeff Ireland has also shown an interest in Houston WR Patrick Edwards who is small at 5’9, 175lbs but who proved to be a big time wideout under Case Keenum. He’s a vertical threat who caught 7 balls for 318 yards and 5 touchdowns against Rice last season and won the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year.

The best slot WR in the draft is Fresno State’s Devon Wylie. The Dolphins interviewed him in Indianapolis but interestingly were one of the teams who didn’t attend his pro day. It’s worth watching to see if he comes into Davie for a workout because he would be a terrific wideout in a Joe Philbin offense. Although Miami weren’t in Waco for the Baylor pro day, they have met with RG3’s outstanding vertical threat, Kendall Wright who should come off the board in the top 18 picks. The Dolphins were also on hand in South Carolina to see the impressive performance of Alshon Jeffrey. Questions remain about his ability to separate and just how hard he’s going to work as he has a reputation for being rather sloppy in the work habits department. Miami were also at the East Carolina pro day to see WR Lance Lewis. The Dolphins also have had sit downs with the outstanding Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd who had a tremendous Combine, speedy Travis Benjamin of Miami. They were also at the OSU pro day to run the rule over DeVier Posey. The Dolphins were represented at the Indiana Pro Day watching receiver Damarlo Belcher who admitted to reporters that his dismissal from the team 9 games into the season was due to a failed drugs test.

As for the offensive line, the Dolphins have shown a lot of interest in Iowa LT Riley Reiff who will kick to the right side with Miami but would also be good insurance if Jake Long’s injury list continues to grow. OL coach Jim Taylor was on hand to work him out. Stanford’s outstanding RG David DeCastro is another who met with the Dolphins in Indianapolis. Rutgers G Desmond Wynn has been to Davie for a visit. He’s big, strong and tough and is an excellent run blocker but he has a history of injuries that would scare even the most hardened doctor; knees, shoulders, a head injury that forced him to miss all of the 2008 season. He’s the sort of late round value selection that Philbin’s Green Bay thrived on. Mike Harris of UCLA was another Bruin who Miami ran the rule over during his pro day. The 6’5, 308lb tackle is probably a priority FA. Colombia’s Jeff Adams has been in recent contact with Miami. Chris saw him first hand at the EW Shrine Practices and he’s an excellent zone blocker with long arms and good feet. Miami held an interview with Pittsburgh OT Lucas Nix who’s a solid mid round tackle/guard prospect who measures in at 6’6, 317lbs but missed much of 2011 through injury. A three year starter, he’s a scrapper, but is tough and strong and probably figures to kick inside at the next level. South Dakota OT Tom Compton who is 6’6, 314lbs with 34 inch arms and ran a 5.11 forty in Indianapolis is also firmly on the Miami radar. He’s a four year starter and although I’ve not seen him play, he’s been tabbed as a possible 4th rounder.

Zebrie Sanders of FSU is very interesting. In Jeff Ireland’s brave new world of looking at more athletic players, Sanders certainly fits that bill. He’s a physical freak; 6’6, 324lbs with almost 11 inch hands and 35 inch arms. He’s very athletic on tape but ran poorly. However, he looks like he needs to add some serious strength on tape, yet threw up 28 on the bench. He looks like he goes about 290lbs and clearly does need to convert some of that mass into muscle. But he has some real upside if a coach can work with him. He met with Miami in Indianapolis too. Scouts were also on hand to watch around 20 assorted prospects work out at the UAB Pro Day but paid particular attention to OT Matt McCants who is 6’5, 308lbs. The Dolphins have worked out Kent State center Chris Anzevino who is working out with former All Pro LeCharles Bentley. Anzevino is very athletic at 6’1 and 300lbs and is flying under the radar. He’s vastly experienced, starting every game since 2008. Also, add Cal G Mitchell Schwartz as another player that the Dolphins have a strong interest in. They were at the Ohio State pro day to see LT Mike Adams and have had both Miami of Ohio G Brandon Brooks and Ole Miss OT Bobbie Massie into Davie for workouts.

DKphin
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I saw him compared to former Seattle QB Dan McGwire earlier in the week. Just so we’re clear there is no comparison between the two. McGwire was a 6’8 statue. Osweiler is a former basketball recruit with good mobility.I agree.

The best slot WR in the draft is Fresno State’s Devon Wylie. I also concur.

state06
04-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree.

I also concur.

three receivers i would love to see in miami are Sanu, Givins and Wylie

DKphin
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
three receivers i would love to see in miami are Sanu, Givins and Wylie
I would like to see them in Miami, but I have a man-crush for Wylie:up::up::up::up:

TheWalrus
04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Boomer. You guys do great work, but the "Miami Meets" aspect to these reports is especially invaluable.

sinPHIN
04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
i actually wouldnt mind darron thomas late

sinPHIN
04-03-2012, 08:05 PM
great post

hooshoops
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
darron thomas blows...jeff fuller...ehhh...another big body wr that can't separate in the pros...he's got more going for him than patrick turner as he can go up and get the ball but he can't separate and gets by more on running solid routes than explosive qualities...i'll pass...talking to more garbage in tommy streeter devier posey travis benjamin and marvin mcnutt...i like the ryan lindley talk and devon wylie no thanks on nick foles the cadet kid now that is intriguing...

Regulus
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I am glad they are looking at Ryan Lindley. He looks like he could develop into a great NFL QB. Just needs the right coaching staff to bring him along.