PDA

View Full Version : Romney, Who will be his VP pick?

BAMAPHIN 22
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Speculation about vice presidential picks is heating up. As it has become increasingly clear that Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination, there has been all kinds of chatter about who he will pick to run with him on the ticket.Overall, Romney needs to pick someone who voters feel could handle the presidency in an emergency and, perhaps even more importantly, someone who won't derail the campaign strategy. Otherwise, like McCain, Romney might end up making the wrong kind of game changing decision. http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/09/opinion/zelizer-romney-vice-president/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Locke
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I hope he picks Rick Santorum, just for the comedy that would ensue...

X-Pacolypse
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Whoever it is. They'll probably suck. Honestly, I can't imagine somebody actually wanting to run alongside Mitt Romney. The guy is a slimeball of the highest order.

Tetragrammaton
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I hope he picks Rick Santorum, just for the comedy that would ensue...

It's a great way to make you the frontrunner for 2016.

After what happened with Sarah Palin, it is very likely to be someone with an impressive career. People saying Paul Ryan aren't paying attention to how his budget polls when people are asked about specific cuts.

Valandui
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think the nominee will be decided before the convention, to be honest.

Dolphins9954
04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
He should pick Obama.

LANGER72
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Although Rubio has ruled out his selection for VP candidate, he might be waiting until the time is right to announce. I like him and think he would be a good choice. He could definitely help Romney with the Hispanic vote. Just my .01

ohall
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Rubio, they'll draft him.

Valandui
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Convention will be interesting if Romney doesn't lock up the delegates he needs beforehand.

Locke
04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Although Rubio has ruled out his selection for VP candidate, he might be waiting until the time is right to announce. I like him and think he would be a good choice. He could definitely help Romney with the Hispanic vote. Just my .01

I doubt he'll have much of an effect on the Hispanic vote...

jared81
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM

I think Rubio will get the job done in Florida if he's picked. Ohio is a tossup, if they can win those two states it would make it difficult for obam to win.

phins_4_ever
04-09-2012, 10:43 PM

He won't get the Hispanic vote. Just because of his lies about his past and his family's past.

Valandui
04-09-2012, 11:59 PM

True. People don't seem to realize that the "Hispanic Vote" isn't the same as the other groups as a block vote. The three largest groups considered to be "Hispanic" here (those being Cubans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans) tend to vote different ways, demographically speaking. Cubans tend to vote conservative/Republican, Mexicans tend to vote liberal/Democrat, and Puerto Ricans tend to be more center left, usually towards the Democratic side. This is obviously a generalization and not cut and dry across the board and I really hate stereotyping people into groups because I like to think of people more as individuals, but the "Hispanic vote" is a different thing to try and predict, especially compared to what we usually think of as far as voter blocks, such as the "Black Vote" or the "Woman Vote".

LANGER72
04-10-2012, 01:07 AM
True. People don't seem to realize that the "Hispanic Vote" isn't the same as the other groups as a block vote. The three largest groups considered to be "Hispanic" here (those being Cubans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans) tend to vote different ways, demographically speaking. Cubans tend to vote conservative/Republican, Mexicans tend to vote liberal/Democrat, and Puerto Ricans tend to be more center left, usually towards the Democratic side. This is obviously a generalization and not cut and dry across the board and I really hate stereotyping people into groups because I like to think of people more as individuals, but the "Hispanic vote" is a different thing to try and predict, especially compared to what we usually think of as far as voter blocks, such as the "Black Vote" or the "Woman Vote".

Agreed. Thank you for explaining better than I did. I over simplified a very diverse group. He may not reach all Latino's, but he will certainly help Romney, especially east of the Mississippi river.
Rubio's family and the distortions will not have a chance to get any traction if he has a change of heart closer to November.

Valandui
04-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Agreed. Thank you for explaining better than I did. I over simplified a very diverse group. He may not reach all Latino's, but he will certainly help Romney, especially east of the Mississippi river.
Rubio's family and the distortions will not have a chance to get any traction if he has a change of heart closer to November.
It's cool. I have a degree in political science and it slips out some times. I wasn't trying to call anyone out.

ohall
04-10-2012, 04:15 AM

lol you mean you hope!

LouPhinFan
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
If he picks Mitch Daniels as his VP (Daniels has not ruled out a possible VP nomination) I think that would go a long way with with the tea partiers and midwesterners. I know it would go a long way with me.

jared81
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
one positive for the republican party is that they have a deep benchm which is something the democrats cant say. rubio, christie, ryan, daniels are all repected as future canidates. much better than skanks like debbie wassarman schultz.

LANGER72
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
one positive for the republican party is that they have a deep benchm which is something the democrats cant say. rubio, christie, ryan, daniels are all repected as future canidates. much better than skanks like debbie wassarman schultz.

DS is as swarmy and skank riddled as they come. IMHO, she has absolutely no ethics and never learned right from wrong. Listening to her talk is like listening to someone scratch their nails on a chalkboard. She has been throating every democratic bagpipe since she volunteered for the PTA.

Locke
04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
lol you mean you hope!

No, I mean he won't. This is political science 101. Change in demographics and voting tendencies change slowly and gradually. That's a fact. Hispanics, despite being a bad group to try and categorize, have historically leaned democrat, much like every other minority. To think that will suddenly change just because a candidate has the last name Rubio is ridiculous. What you are saying is that Hispanics are so uneducated, they will vote for whoever is their same race because they don't know any better, which I'd find extremely insulting if I identified as Hispanic...

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

If he picks Mitch Daniels as his VP (Daniels has not ruled out a possible VP nomination) I think that would go a long way with with the tea partiers and midwesterners. I know it would go a long way with me.

After the Palin fiasco last year, Romney would be well-served in sticking to the stereotype and finding a good strong VP...

LANGER72
04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
No, I mean he won't. This is political science 101. Change in demographics and voting tendencies change slowly and gradually. That's a fact. Hispanics, despite being a bad group to try and categorize, have historically leaned democrat, much like every other minority. To think that will suddenly change just because a candidate has the last name Rubio is ridiculous. What you are saying is that Hispanics are so uneducated, they will vote for whoever is their same race because they don't know any better, which I'd find extremely insulting if I identified as Hispanic...

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

After the Palin fiasco last year, Romney would be well-served in sticking to the stereotype and finding a good strong VP...

I can tell you that the Latin (or Hispanic) community in Florida is a good snap shot of the nation at large. I have many friends that hail from the Caribbean, South America, Central America, and Mexico. This state is the melting pot. The vast majority are hard working good people that want to live the American dream.., a vibrant economy, robust job outlook, and low taxes. Florida has been leaning republican apart from the Obama aberration. Obama's performance and the state of the nation's economy and deficit has caused traditional democrats and moderates to peek at the alternatives. Rubio as a candidate, from conversations with my friends and neighbors, that they have their eye on. He is a rising star. Rubio has the right message and the fact that he is Cuban helps him tremendously in South Florida. He is extremely articulate and on point. He would be a wonderful conservative candidate no matter where his parents came from (it doesn't matter).
You have taken someone's comments and opposing point of view and painted a very distorted ugly picture(uneducated Hispanics)... Partisanship 101...

Republican stereotype? I won't even go there....

jared81
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
DS is as swarmy and skank riddled as they come. IMHO, she has absolutely no ethics and never learned right from wrong. Listening to her talk is like listening to someone scratch their nails on a chalkboard. She has been throating every democratic bagpipe since she volunteered for the PTA.

watching her use the gabby giffords shooting in a political way was as disgraceful as it comes. giffords is also one of her best friends, apparently.

Locke
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I can tell you that the Latin (or Hispanic) community in Florida is a good snap shot of the nation at large. I have many friends that hail from the Caribbean, South America, Central America, and Mexico. This state is the melting pot. The vast majority are hard working good people that want to live the American dream.., a vibrant economy, robust job outlook, and low taxes. Florida has been leaning republican apart from the Obama aberration. Obama's performance and the state of the nation's economy and deficit has caused traditional democrats and moderates to peek at the alternatives. Rubio as a candidate, from conversations with my friends and neighbors, that they have their eye on. He is a rising star. Rubio has the right message and the fact that he is Cuban helps him tremendously in South Florida. He is extremely articulate and on point. He would be a wonderful conservative candidate no matter where his parents came from (it doesn't matter).
You have taken someone's comments and opposing point of view and painted a very distorted ugly picture(uneducated Hispanics)... Partisanship 101...

:lol:

Another partisan accusation, eh? Well, if you keep flinging things against the wall, maybe eventually it'll stick? :idk:

Here is a fact you may or may not know: New Mexico is the only state in the country where the minority races actually outnumber whites. White is still the single largest demographic, but the Latino population is so large, that when combined with blacks, asains, etc, whites become the minority. I'm literally living in the Latino stronghold of the U.S. I certainly can't speak to how Latinos in Florida are going to vote, but I can tell you, in the Southwest, if Rubio has an effect on voters, it will be minimal. Now, considering you've had trouble separating what you hope will happen from what is going to happen, I'll go ahead and assume the same thing is happening here. People behave similarly across populations, and it the Latino voters here in the SW aren't going to be swayed much by it, I have trouble seeing how Latinos in Florida are going to be much different. If Rubio has an effect in Florida, I would feel confident in saying it has more to do with the fact that he is from there, with very little due to his race.

Lastly, I didn't mean stereotypical republican, I meant stereotypical politician. They stepped away from the prototype with Palin and it blew up in their faces. They'd do well to stick to the prototype this year, and it already looks like they've embraced that...

LANGER72
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Locke;1064278439]:lol:

Another partisan accusation, eh? Well, if you keep flinging things against the wall, maybe eventually it'll stick? :idk:

Two can't play partisan police? :lol:
Accusation? Trying to decipher the convolutions is quite difficult. I just objectively report. Everyone else can decide for themselves.

ohall
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM

I can promise you if Rubio is the VP, he most certainly will.

Valandui
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Florida is a microcosom of the US as a whole, electorally speaking. It's a melting pot of the country as a whole. That's why a lot of strategists keep considering Florida more and more important as a predictor of future election outcomes. It's also why Florida is typically hard to predict itself.

Locke
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I can promise you if Rubio is the VP, he most certainly will.

A wager then? You're so confident that a single man is going to buck historical trends, why not put something behind that ridiculous claim? If Rubio is the VP, my assertion is if he has an effect on Florida, it will be due to the fact that it's his home state. I also assert that he will have a minimal effect on the Latino vote in general. You are claiming that his name on the ballot as VP is going to swing the entire Latino vote towards Romney. What are you willing to put up? I'm not talking about money or anything like that. I'm talking about message board stuff...

ohall
04-10-2012, 11:24 PM
A wager then? You're so confident that a single man is going to buck historical trends, why not put something behind that ridiculous claim? If Rubio is the VP, my assertion is if he has an effect on Florida, it will be due to the fact that it's his home state. I also assert that he will have a minimal effect on the Latino vote in general. You are claiming that his name on the ballot as VP is going to swing the entire Latino vote towards Romney. What are you willing to put up? I'm not talking about money or anything like that. I'm talking about message board stuff...

Sure, I think Romney will get more Hispanic votes than McCain did.

As far as the bet, we are gentlemen, the bet is enough for me.

Locke
04-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Sure, I think Romney will get more Hispanic votes than McCain did.

As far as the bet, we are gentlemen, the bet is enough for me.

Get more votes than McCain did? That's not what you were saying. Romney will get mores votes than McCain did across the board simply because the anti-Bush backlash is no longer in effect. You were making the assertion that Rubio is going to swing the Latino vote Romney entirely. Of course he'll most likely get a higher portion of the Latino vote than McCain. That's different than stating that he is going to swing the entire Latino voting base though...

ohall
04-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Get more votes than McCain did? That's not what you were saying. Romney will get mores votes than McCain did across the board simply because the anti-Bush backlash is no longer in effect. You were making the assertion that Rubio is going to swing the Latino vote Romney entirely. Of course he'll most likely get a higher portion of the Latino vote than McCain. That's different than stating that he is going to swing the entire Latino voting base though...

No I wasn't. I think Rubio will bring more votes than McCain, that's why I typed it before.
I'm not sure if Bush even won the Hispanic vote. I think the best he did was in 2004, with like 44%. Those days are gone even if the REP candidate was of Mexican descent, IMO anyway.

LANGER72
04-11-2012, 09:38 AM

What do you have in mind? I might want to get in on this...lol

LouPhinFan
04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I just don't see how a Mexican-American living in Southern California or Texas or New Mexico or Arizona is going to be too impressed or swayed by a Cuban VP candidate from Florida. Aside from the nationality difference, there's also a cultural and lifestyle difference and it's just the VP spot.

Locke
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I just don't see how a Mexican-American living in Southern California or Texas or New Mexico or Arizona is going to be too impressed or swayed by a Cuban VP candidate from Florida. Aside from the nationality difference, there's also a cultural and lifestyle difference and it's just the VP spot.

Everyone is making this assumption because Obama got a ridiculously large percent of the black vote. The difference being, blacks have always voted democrat in a landslide, so it wasn't surprising that they did so again. Latinos tend to vote democrat as well, same as most minority groups. That isn't going to change because the VP candidate has a Latino last name...

Tetragrammaton
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
This is the same kind of useless thinking that led people to proclaim the selection of Sarah Palin would make women vote for their ticket. A bunch of white men saying what minorities and women are going to do. It is insulting to assume they just vote with their type.

CedarPhin
04-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Latin Americans aren't all one giant voting bloc and aren't all the same people. A Colombian's not going to vote for a Cuban just because the dude is Cuban, nor is a Mexican going to vote for a Salvadorian just because he's Salvadorian.

Pretty diverse lot, all things considered.

Dogbone34
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I think non politico types could embrace Rubio once they get to know him

LANGER72
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I think non politico types could embrace Rubio once they get to know him

Precisely. He is a star on the rise.

He will not be embraced because he is Latino, but because of his honest message delivered with excellent communication skills. He can talk intelligently, to the point, and think on his feet without a teleprompter. The fact that he can relate with a segment of the Hispanic population, in their own language is pretty darn good IMHO. I can understand why he is down played. He doesn't fit the text book stereotype and track record.
He is a long shot to get the offer, and he might decide to decline anyways, but he will factor into national politics in the future. No doubt in my mind.

Valandui
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Precisely. He is a star on the rise.

He will not be embraced because he is Latino, but because of his honest message delivered with excellent communication skills. He can talk intelligently, to the point, and think on his feet without a teleprompter. The fact that he can relate with a segment of the Hispanic population, in their own language is pretty darn good IMHO. I can understand why he is down played. He doesn't fit the text book stereotype and track record.
He is a long shot to get the offer, and he might decide to decline anyways, but he will factor into national politics in the future. No doubt in my mind.

I'm taking a cautiously optimistic approach with Rubio. I voted for him, but he's already made some questionable votes to me. The second he joins the CFR I'm done.

Daman379
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Speculation about vice presidential picks is heating up. As it has become increasingly clear that Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination, there has been all kinds of chatter about who he will pick to run with him on the ticket.Overall, Romney needs to pick someone who voters feel could handle the presidency in an emergency and, perhaps even more importantly, someone who won't derail the campaign strategy. Otherwise, like McCain, Romney might end up making the wrong kind of game changing decision. http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/09/opinion/zelizer-romney-vice-president/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

LOl the Republicans can make another fake Vice President aka Sara Palin worked out well. LMFAO fake people are real Republicans.

jguig
04-11-2012, 11:55 PM
You can count on this...... Susana Martinez, the Governor of New Mexico. This will help Romney with the Latino vote and the women vote. She gives him geographical diversity also since she is from another part of the country. Rubio is another solid choice, but it doesn't help with the women vote.

You can go ahead and bet the farm - Martinez it is.

Locke
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
You can count on this...... Susana Martinez, the Governor of New Mexico. This will help Romney with the Latino vote and the women vote. She gives him geographical diversity also since she is from another part of the country. Rubio is another solid choice, but it doesn't help with the women vote.

You can go ahead and bet the farm - Martinez it is.

Not happening. She is much more moderate that Palin was, but she has not been popular here. She has killed our local economy with some ridiculous laws that have been driving off business. The big one is she discontinued a tax credit here that was given to the movie studios so they would film here. They were bringing millions into the local economy, at the expense of some tax money that could have been going into the state. Once she stopped giving out the credit, most of the studios closed down and left, so they didn't get the taxes anyways, and we lost the money in our local economy. Everyone was telling her it was going to happen, but she ignored it and insisted they wouldn't leave. I'd go into more detail, but it wouldn't matter much since none of you are from here and really understand the effect it's had. She is not going to be a serious candidate. She has not held any type of office before governor, she was a lawyer. She is barely into year 3 of her first term, she doesn't have the experience.

Especially after Palin, they pretty much have to stick to the prototypical politician. You guys need to stop trying to reaching for candidates because you think they'll sway an entire demographic of voters. She barely won here in 2010, and she wouldn't have if there wasn't such a strong anti-Richardson backlash in the polls...

GreenMachine
04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, here come the flood of ads

http://video.staged.com/greenmachine/mitt_romney_memories_to_last_a_lifetime

jguig
04-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Not happening. She is much more moderate that Palin was, but she has not been popular here. She has killed our local economy with some ridiculous laws that have been driving off business. The big one is she discontinued a tax credit here that was given to the movie studios so they would film here. They were bringing millions into the local economy, at the expense of some tax money that could have been going into the state. Once she stopped giving out the credit, most of the studios closed down and left, so they didn't get the taxes anyways, and we lost the money in our local economy. Everyone was telling her it was going to happen, but she ignored it and insisted they wouldn't leave. I'd go into more detail, but it wouldn't matter much since none of you are from here and really understand the effect it's had. She is not going to be a serious candidate. She has not held any type of office before governor, she was a lawyer. She is barely into year 3 of her first term, she doesn't have the experience.

Especially after Palin, they pretty much have to stick to the prototypical politician. You guys need to stop trying to reaching for candidates because you think they'll sway an entire demographic of voters. She barely won here in 2010, and she wouldn't have if there wasn't such a strong anti-Richardson backlash in the polls...

I am surprised that you think one law about movie taxes is enough to dissuade latinos and women from voting for someone who they can identify with.

We will see. I do believe I will be correct. If it is not her, it is Rubio.

dolphinbryan
04-13-2012, 12:18 AM
chris christie

Locke
04-13-2012, 12:38 AM
I am surprised that you think one law about movie taxes is enough to dissuade latinos and women from voting for someone who they can identify with.

We will see. I do believe I will be correct. If it is not her, it is Rubio.

I hope that's not all you read. She was a lawyer before becoming Governor, a DA I think. The only experience she has is the partial term as governor she has served so far. I gave the movie tax credit as an example of the things she's done, not the only one. She has been a fiscal disaster for the state

Again, you insult women and Latinos if you think simply having a VP with the last name Martinez is going to make them vote for her. Again, she barely won here in NM, the only state that whites are the minority. She only won because everyone was so tired of Richardson, they all voted Republican, much like what happened with the Bush/Obama election in 2008. Wouldn't you think she would have won in a landslide if all Latino voters were going to vote for a Latina candidate? The best thing that could happen to Obama is that Romney picks Martinez as his VP. She won't provide the soundbites that Palin did, but she will be just as clueless in debates. Luckily for Romney, it looks like he has learned from the Palin fiasco...

Dolphins9954
04-13-2012, 01:29 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/04/funnymormonmissionarymormonsgonnamormhat-1.png

ohall
04-13-2012, 03:21 AM
I hope that's not all you read. She was a lawyer before becoming Governor, a DA I think. The only experience she has is the partial term as governor she has served so far. I gave the movie tax credit as an example of the things she's done, not the only one. She has been a fiscal disaster for the state

Again, you insult women and Latinos if you think simply having a VP with the last name Martinez is going to make them vote for her. Again, she barely won here in NM, the only state that whites are the minority. She only won because everyone was so tired of Richardson, they all voted Republican, much like what happened with the Bush/Obama election in 2008. Wouldn't you think she would have won in a landslide if all Latino voters were going to vote for a Latina candidate? The best thing that could happen to Obama is that Romney picks Martinez as his VP. She won't provide the soundbites that Palin did, but she will be just as clueless in debates. Luckily for Romney, it looks like he has learned from the Palin fiasco...

Are you either one of those?

If not, how the heck would you know?

Cassiopeia
04-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Are you either one of those?

If not, how the heck would you know?

It's a generalization, and a bad one. That would be like me saying all Christians voted Bush because he is a Christian. We all know that's not true, and it's insulting to Christians to reduce them to simply one aspect of who each individual is...

EDIT: Apparently the wife was on here last night and didn't sign out. This is Locke...

Locke
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
chris christie

That seems unlikely, but that's just my personal opinion. Christie would be a great POTUS, and I think that may be in his plans eventually. Being the VP for someone as underwhelming as Romney might hurt him more than help him though...

Tetragrammaton
04-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Christie would be a great POTUS.

Why?

TheWalrus
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM

They wouldn't be, but those states are pretty much all set in stone, anyway. I think Arizona could end up an interesting battleground but Obama is going to win New Mexico and California and Romney is going to win Texas.

Florida is all that matters when you're calculating the Hispanic vote and if people don't think Rubio would have a large effect on the Hispanic vote in Florida they're dreaming. I identify as a liberal but my mother is Cuban and I know that community well. People think Cubans just all vote Republican but what seems to be little known is that the partisanship of that vote is starting to fray. It's still more conservative than minority groups in general but the younger generation is becoming -- and staying -- more liberal than their parents are and were. Rubio would help bring back that partisan advantage (identity politics -- both the fact that it's a factor and that you can count on it as a factor -- is not "racist," guys, it is a fact of life) and stir up a tremendous amount of enthusiasm, money and organizational help in a key battleground state. In other words, turning some Cubans from people who would merely vote for Romney into an army of volunteers; knocking on doors, planting signs and making phone calls. Rubio won't have as big an effect on other minority populations, obviously, but his rags to riches story and immigrant parents will strike a chord with many down here.

The other thing people don't know about Rubio is just how effective he was in the northern (South Alabama, I like to call it) part of the state. The man has credibility with Tea Partiers and other true conservatives and won big majorities there despite fears he wouldn't because of his ethnicity. Romney is going to need those voters if he wants to win. Without them, he'll have to fight just to keep hold of places he should be able to win rather easily. Rubio speaks a conservative language Romney hasn't mastered and his seal of approval would help in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri.

If I'm Team Romney, Rubio is absolutely my #1 choice to be VP. But ultimately I don't think Rubio will do it. He's smart. He knows he's a rising star who doesn't need the limelight generated by a nomination to the vice presidency. He knows many in the Tea Party and other conservatives view Romney as a traitor. He won't want to sully himself by having to defend Romney's positions on the campaign trail knowing there will be video of him four years from now saying things he doesn't believe when he actually decides to run for President against the likes of Bobby Jindal and John Thune (at a time when Romney will be as big of a joke in his own party as Kerry is viewed as being by many Democrats).

Just as Hillary Clinton turned down the VP spot in '08, Rubio will turn it down now.

As for who Romney will actually pick, I don't know. Bob McDonnell of Virginia is a name I've heard thrown out there.

Locke
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Why?

Granted, everything I've heard him say are just clips from youtube or the evening news the rare times I've caught it, but the guy seems very moderate. He doesn't let the extremists in his party influence his decisions, and he comes off as very reasonable and willing to listen. I probably don't know as much about him as you do, but my limited exposure to the guy has been positive...