PDA

View Full Version : Question for any experienced travelers

Locke
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
My Danish buddy and his wife divorced, so he moved back to Denmark. He invited me to come out, and I've decided to take him up on the offer since I've never been there. The wife has some other commitments, so I'll be going alone. I've been to Europe before, but only the western countries, and I was always with a group.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about going to the Netherlands by myself, so I was wondering if anyone has been there before, or if anyone has traveled alone before. I'm pretty much just looking for general advice or some pointers that I wouldn't know unless you've traveled alone before. Any advice you guys could give would be much appreciated...

NY8123
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
My Danish buddy and his wife divorced, so he moved back to Denmark. He invited me to come out, and I've decided to take him up on the offer since I've never been there. The wife has some other commitments, so I'll be going alone. I've been to Europe before, but only the western countries, and I was always with a group.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about going to the Netherlands by myself, so I was wondering if anyone has been there before, or if anyone has traveled alone before. I'm pretty much just looking for general advice or some pointers that I wouldn't know unless you've traveled alone before. Any advice you guys could give would be much appreciated...

My future bother-in-law is from Netherlands, is your buddy from Holland or Denmark? The Netherlands is/are basically Holland, Denmark is Denmark lol. Holland is usually very safe to travel in, I could get you tips for traveling there but Denmark is a different story, I am not familiar with going there.

Locke
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
My future bother-in-law is from Netherlands, is your buddy from Holland or Denmark? The Netherlands is/are basically Holland, Denmark is Denmark lol. Holland is usually very safe to travel in, I could get you tips for traveling there but Denmark is a different story, I am not familiar with going there.

I'll be going to Denmark. It's looking like I'll fly into Amsterdam, and then take a train up to Aalborg, which is pretty far north in Denmark...

Valandui
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Never been to Europe, so this is just speculation on my part. I imagine Denmark would be pretty safe. Seems like most of Scandinavia would be, but I could be wrong.

Locke
04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Never been to Europe, so this is just speculation on my part. I imagine Denmark would be pretty safe. Seems like most of Scandinavia would be, but I could be wrong.

I'm hearing that pickpockets are common all across Europe, and they like to target single travelers. I don't know how true that is, or if a bad experience made this person give me a jaded opinion...

CedarPhin
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
As long as you don't get culture shock easy, you'll be alright.

rob19
04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
you gotta visit a pot shop for me

MelbournePhin
04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
red light district looks fun...ha ha

jared81
04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Spent a couple months in Belgium and holland back in college. Extremely safe, the people are friendly and most speak some English. All in all, it's a pretty good area of the world to travel in. Also, smoke shops aren't what the average American thinks they are. You have to roll your weed with tabaco, it's frowned upon if not.

X-Pacolypse
04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm hearing that pickpockets are common all across Europe, and they like to target single travelers. I don't know how true that is, or if a bad experience made this person give me a jaded opinion...

I've never been to the Netherlands myself, but everything I've heard it's pretty safe. If you're still concerned about your wallet, then keep it in one of your front pockets. I did that when I was in Hong Kong.

silverfin
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I'll be going to Denmark. It's looking like I'll fly into Amsterdam, and then take a train up to Aalborg, which is pretty far north in Denmark...

I know the train line in Amsterdam stops at/goes through the airport (Schiphol airport). There is Amsterdam Central Station which is, as the name implies, in the middle of Amsterdam and there is Schiphol train station, which is located directly below the airport. They are on the same line and are two of the main stops along it, I know another one is the Amsterdam Arena.

I'm not fully familiar with how you'd get to Copenhagen (or wherever you are going in Denmark) from there. I'm not sure if a train goes direct from Schiphol to your desired Danish destination or whether you'd need to jump on a train to Amsterdam Central (takes about 20 minutes from Schiphol). As far as I know it is possible to book a cheap flight from Schiphol to Denmark, and I believe there is also a ferry. I think a train from Amsterdam to Denmark takes a long, long time (I've read something like 15 hours).

Experiment a bit with http://www.raileurope-world.com

I just plugged in your journey from Amsterdam Central to Aalborg (DEN) and it returned a 16 hour 51 minute journey with a fare of $176. (That was just one way)

As for pickpockets, I don't wish to put you off or anything but be cautious. They can be a problem in Amsterdam, so be careful. They aren't as common as they are in places such as Barcelona, but if you are alert then you shouldn't have any problems.

Valandui
04-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I've never been to the Netherlands myself, but everything I've heard it's pretty safe. If you're still concerned about your wallet, then keep it in one of your front pockets. I did that when I was in Hong Kong.To be honest, I do it in general. Why just be cautious on vacation?

NY8123
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I've never been to the Netherlands myself, but everything I've heard it's pretty safe. If you're still concerned about your wallet, then keep it in one of your front pockets. I did that when I was in Hong Kong.

X is right on the money. I have traveled the world for work. All over Asia, US, Mexico keeping your wallet in your front pocket is extremely hard to lift if not impossible if your ready for it. You hear the term situational awareness in the military but it applies to travel as well. My passport is my first order of protection followed by my cash/wallet and then my laptop and luggage. If I have my passport and some cash I can get anywhere, the laptop and luggage are not essential given the choice.

But like many here have said, Holland is safe and nice, I have not been to Belgium but I would expect no different. Don't underestimate the power of a business card, if I find a spot I would like to return to, I grab a card from a local business. Grab a cab, show them the card and bingo, language barrier tackled. Have your friend mail you some from Belgium if you are worried about the language barrier in cabs.

Locke
04-11-2012, 11:05 PM
I know the train line in Amsterdam stops at/goes through the airport (Schiphol airport). There is Amsterdam Central Station which is, as the name implies, in the middle of Amsterdam and there is Schiphol train station, which is located directly below the airport. They are on the same line and are two of the main stops along it, I know another one is the Amsterdam Arena.

I'm not fully familiar with how you'd get to Copenhagen (or wherever you are going in Denmark) from there. I'm not sure if a train goes direct from Schiphol to your desired Danish destination or whether you'd need to jump on a train to Amsterdam Central (takes about 20 minutes from Schiphol). As far as I know it is possible to book a cheap flight from Schiphol to Denmark, and I believe there is also a ferry. I think a train from Amsterdam to Denmark takes a long, long time (I've read something like 15 hours).

Experiment a bit with http://www.raileurope-world.com

I just plugged in your journey from Amsterdam Central to Aalborg (DEN) and it returned a 16 hour 51 minute journey with a fare of $176. (That was just one way)

As for pickpockets, I don't wish to put you off or anything but be cautious. They can be a problem in Amsterdam, so be careful. They aren't as common as they are in places such as Barcelona, but if you are alert then you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah, I was looking at that. My time is limited, so I may have to just fork over the extra money and fly into Aalborg. I'd fly straight there, but I really want to check out Amsterdam while I have the chance. I really appreciate your insight, it's exactly what I was looking for...

Locke
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
X is right on the money. I have traveled the world for work. All over Asia, US, Mexico keeping your wallet in your front pocket is extremely hard to lift if not impossible if your ready for it. You hear the term situational awareness in the military but it applies to travel as well. My passport is my first order of protection followed by my cash/wallet and then my laptop and luggage. If I have my passport and some cash I can get anywhere, the laptop and luggage are not essential given the choice.

But like many here have said, Holland is safe and nice, I have not been to Belgium but I would expect no different. Don't underestimate the power of a business card, if I find a spot I would like to return to, I grab a card from a local business. Grab a cab, show them the card and bingo, language barrier tackled. Have your friend mail you some from Belgium if you are worried about the language barrier in cabs.

As nerdy as it is, I was considering buying one of those torso fanny-pack things that you wear under your shirt for my passport and most of my cash. Damn good advice on the business card thing. Apparently English is very common in Denmark, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'm going to take your advice regardless. I'd rather not chance it...

silverfin
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I was looking at that. My time is limited, so I may have to just fork over the extra money and fly into Aalborg. I'd fly straight there, but I really want to check out Amsterdam while I have the chance. I really appreciate your insight, it's exactly what I was looking for...

No Problem.

If you want any specific advice on where to stay in Amsterdam, how to get there from the airport, location of any main attractions or anything then feel free to drop me a PM and I'll try to help out as best as I can. I will say this though, by the time you leave you'll never want to see another bicycle again in your life!! :lol:

Valandui
04-12-2012, 12:05 AM
You better be meading it up Beowulf style in Denmark.

Locke
04-12-2012, 12:42 AM
You better be meading it up Beowulf style in Denmark.

That goes without saying. My buddy had to have been a viking in a former life. He can grow a beard of epic proportions, and he can out drink anyone in the states. If I go to Denmark and try not to drink, I'm pretty sure he'd just slap me around until I started...

Valandui
04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
That goes without saying. My buddy had to have been a viking in a former life. He can grow a beard of epic proportions, and he can out drink anyone in the states. If I go to Denmark and try not to drink, I'm pretty sure he'd just slap me around until I started...
I wonder that about myself sometimes. I don't drink much but can drink large amounts when I do. Also true about the beardedness. I guess I am Irish/German, though.

Harry_Bagpipe
04-12-2012, 07:10 AM
I've been to almost every country in Europe and to Amsterdam many times and i think you'll be shocked as to how many Americans are in Amsterdam especially during the summer. In fact, you'll be surprised as to how many Americans you meet who wound up moving there after visiting. It's safe but just use common sense. Like people mentioned, keep your wallet in your front pocket or use a fanny pack. Keep your passport in a hotel room safe if they have one.

If you get a chance I would check out the rijksmuseum. It's filled with some of the most famous Dutch painters and paintings. I haven't done it in years but I had a blast taking a tour of the Heineken brewery.

The train system is excellent and I'm sure you can easilly get to Denmark that way via central station. In fact a possibility for you could be to spend the day in Amsterdam and than take an overnight train to denmark. It's a very common way to travel and it's also a good way to meet people. Copenhagen is a beautiful city and even though I've never been to the outskirts of Denmark, I'm sure they are extremely safe.

Pack up some space cakes and enjoy a nice train ride. You'll see a lot of the countryside and will save you the airfare

NY8123
04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
As nerdy as it is, I was considering buying one of those torso fanny-pack things that you wear under your shirt for my passport and most of my cash. Damn good advice on the business card thing. Apparently English is very common in Denmark, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'm going to take your advice regardless. I'd rather not chance it...

The sell a zippable case the hangs from your neck if you don't want the pouch. Like to this guy:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/04/25002601-1.jpg
I actually don't use one but some the guys from work do. When you are trucking through airports trying to catch flights things get misplaced if you are not on top of things. I usually slide my Passport into my other front pocket when I am in Airports and train stations. But my passport looks like it when through hell because of that Lol. The case tends to keep it a little neater if you are the type who likes your documents tidy and you can tuck into your shirt/jacket if you don't want it to be seen. They sell slim versions of the holder but they are usually plastic and seem like they would rip off easy if someone really wanted to snatch it.

Like I said mind your surroundings and people will pay you no nevermind.

ROADRUNNER
04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I have been to holland,Germany,and Italy, and all i can say to you is take a lot of money with you, it's dear over there.............

Cassiopeia
04-13-2012, 02:39 AM
of course he would get invited to europe the summer i finally get a job that uses my degree. ive been working crap jobs every summer until now, but no, his friend has to wait until now to get divorced and go home. i told him he should take the train so he can see more of the country, but i think he would start getting restless sitting for that long. does anyone know the exchange rate for euros? i keep telling him to look into it, but he keeps telling me not to worry about it yet. doesn't make sense to me to not know how much money youre going to need early on.

Valandui
04-13-2012, 03:38 AM
of course he would get invited to europe the summer i finally get a job that uses my degree. ive been working crap jobs every summer until now, but no, his friend has to wait until now to get divorced and go home. i told him he should take the train so he can see more of the country, but i think he would start getting restless sitting for that long. does anyone know the exchange rate for euros? i keep telling him to look into it, but he keeps telling me not to worry about it yet. doesn't make sense to me to not know how much money youre going to need early on.
That's the way it works. It seems this divorce is only convenient for one person.

Locke
04-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm not even sure Denmark uses the Euro. It probably does, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm saying don't worry about it because I'm putting away money for it regardless of the exchange rate. I'm not going to take everything I manage to save, just what I'll need. We can figure out the exchange rate and what to take once we see what's been saved.

Besides, you called him an ***hole the last time we grabbed a beer before he left. Are you sure he would even let you stay at his place...? :lol:

Vaark
04-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Let's hope this one ends better than the last time one of our member's lovely wives made a guest appearance.

Whitedolphin54
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Take LOTS of money for any part of Scandinavia, especially if you like drinking. God, Paris was dear enough :boohoo:

Locke
04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Let's hope this one ends better than the last time one of our member's lovely wives made a guest appearance.

:lol:

She's been around the forum for a year or so. She used to post in the PoFo, but stopped after people were intentionally trolling her. I'm actually surprised she made an appearance. I asked her to vote in the March Madness thing, guess she took the time to browse the forum a little afterwards...

silverfin
04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm not even sure Denmark uses the Euro.

Denmark uses the (danish) krone. Something like 5 krones equals one USD.

Holland uses the Euro though. Most of the more well known European countries do apart from the UK

Locke
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Denmark uses the (danish) krone. Something like 5 krones equals one USD.

Holland uses the Euro though. Most of the more well known European countries do apart from the UK

That's what I thought. I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that they had their own currency. Depending on how much things cost over there, that's a pretty favorable exchange rate...

NY8123
04-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Poor Wevie lol.

She's been around the forum for a year or so. She used to post in the PoFo, but stopped after people were intentionally trolling her. I'm actually surprised she made an appearance. I asked her to vote in the March Madness thing, guess she took the time to browse the forum a little afterwards...

Workin' on some tips from my future brother-in-law for travel around Holland. He says you won't have one problem.

Valandui
04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm not even sure Denmark uses the Euro. It probably does, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm saying don't worry about it because I'm putting away money for it regardless of the exchange rate. I'm not going to take everything I manage to save, just what I'll need. We can figure out the exchange rate and what to take once we see what's been saved. Besides, you called him an ***hole the last time we grabbed a beer before he left. Are you sure he would even let you stay at his place...? :lol:Oh ****, son. It's on now.

Locke
04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh ****, son. It's on now.

She'll make me listen to some god awful British indie band, but that'll be about the extent of her retaliation. If I snuck some meat into her dinner she'd fillet me, but that's probably the only thing I could do to incur her wrath...

Bumpus
04-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Keeping the wallet in my front pocket always works in the distraction-filled city of Las Vegas ... I seriously doubt you'd find many more pickpockets anywhere than there.

Enjoy your trip, bro!

I'm officially jealous.

Bumpus
04-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Ahem ... That's a pretty bold statement my friend. :lol:

Locke
04-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Ahem ... That's a pretty bold statement my friend. :lol:

You guys could have a beard contest, then follow it up with some drinking games. It would be a pretty epic evening...

Valandui
04-13-2012, 09:27 PM

She'll make me listen to some god awful British indie band, but that'll be about the extent of her retaliation. If I snuck some meat into her dinner she'd fillet me, but that's probably the only thing I could do to incur her wrath...
That's a pretty harsh punishment, dude.

Locke
04-14-2012, 12:43 AM
That's a pretty harsh punishment, dude.

No kidding. Normally she keeps it to herself, but it's pretty easy to know when I've done something wrong because she'll play it loud enough for me hear...

Bumpus
04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
No kidding. Normally she keeps it to herself, but it's pretty easy to know when I've done something wrong because she'll play it loud enough for me hear...

Two words:

Eighth Amendment. :up:

Arsenal WV
04-15-2012, 08:10 AM
WeVie's wife came on here?

Bumpus
04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
WeVie's wife came on here?

Yeah, briefly. Too bad for WeVie her stay wasn't brief enough - she saw too much.

WeVie's not here anymore (I think he's grounded from the interwebz indefinitely :chuckle:)

MadDog 88
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
It depends what area you are in. Living in Italy I have heard Rome is bad but I have never had any problems. Just be smart. Remove credit cards, cash and ID from your wallet when in a questionable area.

In general, most Europeans are very nice people and the crime is far lower then the States. My advice is don't stop for cars that are pulled over on the shoulder waving for help. Southern Europe has pockets of Gypsys who won't hurt you but will steal everything they can from you. Some of these roadside bandits do use physical force to subdue their prey.

If it was me I would feel safe traveling through the central and southern areas of Europe. Sorry not the area you are going to but I find it hard to believe The Netherlands would be any worse.