PDA

View Full Version : We've all been brainwashed by... MADDEN

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Mods I know this doesn't belong here, but I wanted people to see this.
I have been playing Madden for years (every year since the old Genesis days), and I loved this past years version, that is until I started playing ESPN Football by SEGA.
It honestly BLOWS MADDEN AWAY!!!! I couldn't believe it myself, but the game is much better. I now have traded in my Madden and just own ESPN football. I couldn't even play Madden again after a few days with ESPN. It still has a couple of things wrong with it, but it is still leagues above Madden. Don't self it short people. GIVE THIS GAME AN HONEST SHOT!!! I went into this laughing at my friend saying NOWAY would it be better. Five games later and MADDEN was a thing of the past. SEGA ESPN IS THE NEW VIDEO FOOTBALL KING!!!!!

ckparrothead
02-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Just curious but what makes it better? Honestly I'm a big NFL Blitz fan and as such I can imagine that I'm gonna like that new game comin out NFL Street ball.

Bowl_Bound
02-06-2004, 02:54 PM
I would also bet interested in what makes it better. The NFL street is ok but I dont love it at all. The one thing I dont like about switching games is the yime it takes to get natural with the buttons. Its even worse when you switch systems.

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 03:03 PM
The graphics are WAY better, the gameplay is better, the AI is better, online play is AWESOME, the whole package in general is better. It just has a much better feel to it. You can't just throw the ball up and come down with it. You have to read your patterns and find the open guy and zip it there at the right moment. It also lets you play the game in FIRST PERSON view. WOW!!!!!!!!! This is as real as it gets. Tons of things to do in the game as well.ESPN IS JUST WAY BETTER. YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT A COUPLE OF GAMES TO ADJUST.
I also have NFL Street. If you like Blitz, you'll probably enjoy it. There aren't a whole lot of plays in it though. It's fun when you don't want to think and just smash people around. RICKY is a freakin' beast!! The best part about Street is creating your own team and building up your players to challenge others online.
BUT IF REALISTIC FOOTBALL IS WHAT YOU WANT< ESPN RULES!!!

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 03:06 PM
If you have Microcenter in your area, ESPN is only $29.99 new there.

Thundercracker
02-06-2004, 03:09 PM
i used to like nfl2k series way better than madden. but this years title just felt weird when playing. the players running look ridiculous. and i now have converted from an nfl2k fan to a madden fan. :) the franchise is better on madden as well. there are certain things on ESPN that are better than madden, like graphics and commentary, boy dont you just wish they would form a hybrid? that would be an awesome game.

Bowl_Bound
02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Thundercracker
i used to like nfl2k series way better than madden. but this years title just felt weird when playing. the players running look ridiculous. and i now have converted from an nfl2k fan to a madden fan. :) the franchise is better on madden as well. there are certain things on ESPN that are better than madden, like graphics and commentary, boy dont you just wish they would form a hybrid? that would be an awesome game.

Are you saying the ESPN game has no Franchise option? That is my fav part of Madden.

Bowl_Bound
02-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by unclemonty
If you have Microcenter in your area, ESPN is only $29.99 new there.
Does it have a franchise mode? If so how would you compare it?

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Of course there is a franchise option. It's VERY similar to Madden's. What do you mean by the players looking ridiculous?? You have total control over them.

Thundercracker
02-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Of course there is a franchise option. It's VERY similar to Madden's. What do you mean by the players looking ridiculous?? You have total control over them.

i know theres a franchise option. it just isn't as good as maddens. and watch the players run, they look stupid. it does not look real. one other thing ESPN has better is tackling. but i've played both games and Madden is more realistic.

Bowl_Bound
02-06-2004, 03:33 PM

You mention the game is 29.99 but how much is the system? Can you change the controls to whatever you desire? Meaning can you change the tackle butto to anyone you want etc?

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 03:38 PM

i know theres a franchise option. it just isn't as good as maddens. and watch the players run, they look stupid. it does not look real. one other thing ESPN has better is tackling. but i've played both games and Madden is more realistic.

I think ESPN LOOKS WAY BETTER and is WAY more realistic. The only bad thing I've found is defending the opponents kickoffs. It took a little while to learn how to stop. Once you get past that, ESPN is just way better. I couldn't even really look at Madden anymore after playing ESPN. It went directly to EB for a trade-in.
BOTH OF MY ROOMMATES FELT THE EXACT SAME WAY. There used to be 3 copies of Madden in the house (2 XBOX, 1 PS2), now there are NONE. We all got rid of them. My one roommate played Madden 24-7 and couldn't believe it either. He now plays ESPN as well. Rent it and give it a shot, you won't be sorry!!!!

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by dreadlockera

You mention the game is 29.99 but how much is the system? Can you change the controls to whatever you desire? Meaning can you change the tackle butto to anyone you want etc?

Which system??
I have ESPN for XBOX because graphics and sound are the best on the XBOX.

Thundercracker
02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Rent it and give it a shot, you won't be sorry!!!!

i did rent it, twice in fact. the second time i rented it was months and months later when i saw it get a better rating on gamespot than madden. then once i started playing it i realized why i didn't buy it, because i already had a better game in madden.

Dolfan984
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Honestly, I've played both, and for pure simluation and realism (not graphics, but animations) you got to go with Madden.

unclemonty
02-06-2004, 04:42 PM

i did rent it, twice in fact. the second time i rented it was months and months later when i saw it get a better rating on gamespot than madden. then once i started playing it i realized why i didn't buy it, because i already had a better game in madden.

Madden is just WAYY to simple of a game. I never found any competition in it. No one ever wants to play me, because I always won. I had my set bread and butter plays and they almost ALWAYS work. What's the fun in that? Throw the ball up deep and your WR leaps to catch it. Remember people I was raised on Madden. It's the game I always look forward to each year. Don't be afraid to try something a little different.
ESPN is much more challenging. Call the same sets of plays over and over and the defense will crush you. ESPN is just a better game, pure and simple.

minus
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I purchased ESPN Football before Madden to give it a fair shot but ended up returning it 3 days later.It doesn't compared to Madden franchise and it simply won't ever!

TerryTate
02-06-2004, 05:56 PM
ESPN NFL football sucks, just is too arcadish for me....for Realism Madden is the way to go, and they have cut back on those bread and butter plays as you call them....

The only thing that ESPN/NFL2k series has thats better are the intros and commentary....

Madden 0wnZ

iceblizzard69
02-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I've played both and Madden is way better IMO.

Phinzone
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM

Madden is just WAYY to simple of a game. I never found any competition in it. No one ever wants to play me, because I always won. I had my set bread and butter plays and they almost ALWAYS work. What's the fun in that? Throw the ball up deep and your WR leaps to catch it. Remember people I was raised on Madden. It's the game I always look forward to each year. Don't be afraid to try something a little different.
ESPN is much more challenging. Call the same sets of plays over and over and the defense will crush you. ESPN is just a better game, pure and simple.

Might I suggest you turn the difficulty ALL the way up? I'm the best madden player on campus (I won the tournament ot prove it). Cranking the difficulty makes it WAY more realisitic, my kid cousin cnan crush the game on Pro.

NEXT. Graphics way better? Are they prettier? yes, more detail. But the animations BLOW. I really hate the naimations in ESPN, they are WAY unrealisitc.

Next, you have the pysics engine. It's WAY off it seems as if they didn't take any payers weight into consideration when making this game. Thomas and Fletcher blowing over Alsott should NOT happen, yet it does consistently in ESPN.

Next-The franchise mode is not as deep as maddens.

Next- The AI of Madden is much better. Sorry, but it's more of a sim. Yeah, ESPN has big hits, and cool dive passes, but as a fan of the GAME you have to admit Madden is more realisitc.

Next- First person football? FIRST of all, Madden did that SIX YEARS AGO. It's unrealistic.

You bought into gimmicks, bigger hits, first person football, and an interior decorating simulator (Crib). Madden is more realistic, period. Sorry, enjoy your game I'm sure it's good fun, but I want realisim. If I want bells an whistles, I'll play Halo.

fins4o8
02-10-2004, 05:24 AM
i play Madden franchise in coach mode. how do i stop the CPU from sacking my QB like 6+ times everytime?

unclemonty
02-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Graythreat

Might I suggest you turn the difficulty ALL the way up? I'm the best madden player on campus (I won the tournament ot prove it). Cranking the difficulty makes it WAY more realisitic, my kid cousin cnan crush the game on Pro.

NEXT. Graphics way better? Are they prettier? yes, more detail. But the animations BLOW. I really hate the naimations in ESPN, they are WAY unrealisitc.

Next, you have the pysics engine. It's WAY off it seems as if they didn't take any payers weight into consideration when making this game. Thomas and Fletcher blowing over Alsott should NOT happen, yet it does consistently in ESPN.

Next-The franchise mode is not as deep as maddens.

Next- The AI of Madden is much better. Sorry, but it's more of a sim. Yeah, ESPN has big hits, and cool dive passes, but as a fan of the GAME you have to admit Madden is more realisitc.

Next- First person football? FIRST of all, Madden did that SIX YEARS AGO. It's unrealistic.

You bought into gimmicks, bigger hits, first person football, and an interior decorating simulator (Crib). Madden is more realistic, period. Sorry, enjoy your game I'm sure it's good fun, but I want realisim. If I want bells an whistles, I'll play Halo.

Of course I play Madden on all Madden. I will crush you any day of the week lol. I've won tons of money playing Madden not to mention.

Madden's first person mode was a joke. ESPN is actually very good. As I've already said I have owned Madden EVERY SINGLE YEAR IT HAS BEEN MADE!!!
I just think ESPN (XBOX version, I haven't played PS2 version but I have ALL THE SYSTEMS) has now surpassed Madden (which I've played on Gamecube, PS2, and XBOX).

I TOO WAS STUBBORN UNTIL I FINALLY GAVE IT A FULL NIGHT OF ATTENTION BECAUSE OF A FRIEND NAGGING ME. I SIMPLY COULD NO LONGER PLAY MADDEN AFTER ESPN.

I PREFER ESPN HANDS DOWN. IT'S A BETTER GAME!!!!

EVERYONE GIVE IT AN HONEST SHOT, DON't JUST GO BY MADDEN'S PAST. YOU MIGHT BE AS HAPPY AS I WAS. IF NOT, YOU ARE ONLY HURTING YOURSELF!!!!!