PDA

View Full Version : i think AOL..............

dolfan06
04-15-2002, 01:02 PM
has just lost a customer! i get a link light and i get a message, "can't establish a connection" called a tech last night, told me he was gonna set up an appointment to come out here, then i find out it takes 48 hrs for them to set up a time. i can still get on with regular service, but these aol techs don't know squat!:mad:

Marino1983
04-15-2002, 01:27 PM
AOL 6 or 7 times for the past 7 yrs,, of all the online services IMOP THEY SUCK !!!!! I was a customer for just about 9 months ,, but I got kicked off because of some problems on the message boards --- imagine that... I think they give you a second chance (depending on the offense), but I basicly told the
m they could stick their online UNSERVICE,, up their a******* without vaseline !! I still use their service (free disks) and as far as I am concerned IT STILL SUCKS !!!!! :lol: :D Marino1983

dolphan39
04-15-2002, 02:30 PM
cable modem is the way to go or DSL - no more dial up :cool:

phinsphan4ever
04-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by dolphan39
cable modem is the way to go or DSL - no more dial up :cool:

Is it really worth the extra $$$$$$? I've been contemplating doing it.:confused:

dolfan06
04-15-2002, 03:44 PM
but i don't recommend AOL. downloads that used to take 5 or 10 min, now take seconds. i think i'm gonna change to earthlink, i've heard good things about them.:confused:

FinHeavenAJ
04-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Personally, I have found that if your local cable company offers cable internet, go with them. My sister, brother, and myself all live in different areas of the state, all have cable internet with their cable company. I have few complaints, but nothing really major.

I think this because if there is a problem with your internet connection, it can sometimes be because of your home cable reception, only your cable company could fix that. Imagine having to go through two companies JUST to get the internet. Plus, its sometimes cheaper.

dolphan39
04-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by aqua&orange54

Is it really worth the extra $$$$$$? I've been contemplating doing it.:confused: it been great for me, but my work also picks up $30/month so that I can get to our network from home if needed :D

It is very fast if the web site your on is fast

iceblizzard69
04-15-2002, 04:59 PM
DSL is awesome, but I kept the AOL. In fact, I am on my DSL and AOL right now. :)

Muck
04-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Funny you mention AOL techs. AOL tech support is right here in Tampa (actually it's an outsource company). I've been hired to be a tech twice in the past year. Just never pulled the trigger. Lots of negative factors influencing my decision (although the pay is good for me). Personally, I can't stand AOL. I use RoadRunner Cable.

There are some really smart guys working there as AOL techs (some of my friends who really know their stuff). And there are others who don't know squat. The problem is that they'll hire anyone off the street. There's a girl that used to be on MTV Real World/Road Rules who works there and doesn't know jack. You can see her in this month's Playboy as a matter of fact :cool:

dolfan06
04-16-2002, 03:53 AM
recommends cable! has to be something to it!:rolleyes:

Marino1983
04-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by dolphan39
cable modem is the way to go or DSL - no more dial up :cool: DSL is not available in my area yet,,, unless I would go with a Satellite Dish and the cost for the equipment alone would be in the 5 - $600.00 range plus an access fee of 60 - $70.00 a month. I have heard that the problems have yet to be worked out of these dish systems, and untill that happens along with a more reasonable cost,,, I guess Ill stick with my dial up modem ! Marino1983

dolfan06
04-16-2002, 10:53 AM
its about $44 a month, but then their service absolutely sucks. i called sunday afternoon about a problem, the tech couldn't help me over the phone, said he would have a tech call and set up an appointment and i have yet to hear from the *******! can't get anything done, cause i'm waiting on a friggin call. "all dressed up and no place to go!":mad:

dolfan06
04-16-2002, 11:11 AM
after using dsl for 7 mo, dial up is slow. can't get used to waiting for the damn images to load!:(

Muck
04-16-2002, 01:26 PM
Don't go for the Dish Internet. It's not as fast as Cable or DSL. I think the maximum speed is 400K for downloads, 100K for uploads.

It's faster than Dial-up (what isn't), but it's not nearly as fast as Cable or DSL. And it's cost (installation and monthly) makes it not worth the trouble.

Also, it's not compatible with AOL (suprise), Mac, Linux, Unix or peer-to-peer file sharing (WinMX and other mp3 sharing programs)...all by it's own admission. Nor is it recommended for gamers. Again, it's Cable or DSL.

dolfan06
04-16-2002, 02:43 PM
but the turkeys won't be out till monday! i'm calling cencom!:mad:

dolfan06
04-17-2002, 10:56 AM
every now and then i have been trying to sign on with DSL and this morning i got on with no problems. must have been a problem with the phone company.