PDA

View Full Version : Omar: Dolphins expected to PASS on Tannehill

Nublar7
04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/OmarKelly/status/194523068163559424

The word on the street in the NFL is that the Miami Dolphins are prepared to pass on Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill and will select a quarterback in the second day, with Arizona State's Brock Osweiler as the top name on their board of second-tier guys. Don't know if its true, but don't have any reason to doubt it. Osweiler has good tools, and could certainly use some good coaching.

ROADRUNNER
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/04/awrmes-1.jpg

CANDolphan
04-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Great news everyone. That means Miami is drafting Tannehill, because Omar Kelly doesn't have a single source in the Dolphins organization, unless you count dreaming about Sean Smith and Jason taylor having a shirtless wrestling contest for your affection "sources"

ChambersWI
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I can see Osweiler being enticing as well as some of the other players in the first being too good to pass up

SkapePhin
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Meh.... Brock Osweiller seemed like a huge phony on Gruden QB Camp. But he does have some good physical attributes.

Just not impressed with the QBs left. I honestly might just take a flyer on Russel Wilson in round 4-5 and look to draft a guy next year.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
This, if true, is cause for great celebration. I highly doubt anybody in the Phins camp would leak this info, though.

SoIllFinsFan
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
He's probably pulling it straight outta his (I'm a 4 year old and can type bad words), but if true, I'm a fan. He's just not worth that pick.

kloud_9
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM
This is the best case scenerio. You can get a top corner (gilmore), receiver or any other position of need and take a qb that isn't much worse or even better than tannehill in the 2nd or 3rd round.

sinPHIN
04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
would not surprise me one bit if we wait to select brock.

foozool13
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Any info that comes out the week of the draft is pretty much bull**** or something that is intentionally put out there(smokescreen). To me this means we will 100% draft Tannehill. I think its a smokescreen to get other teams to NOT trade up ahead of us and force us to have to trade up.

SamIam
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
This means he will definitely be the pick

AZStryker
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Wait, passing on Tannehill for Osweiler makes people happy??? Wow, seriously???

finomenal
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
:lol: .....HaydenFox in 3....2.....1....

datruth55
04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Well if we select Osweiler in the second he'll fall right in line with all the other failed 2nd round draft picks we've selected.

TheWalrus
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
It's amazing how people fall for "bull**** week" every year.

oasis
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Smokescreens upon smokescreens upon smokescreens. The Dolphins are doing a pretty good job of COMPLETELY muddying the waters.

Aqua and Orange
04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Only reason this rumor carries a bit of weight is that the team could be trying to avoid another Quinn-like letdown by the fan base. Leak that they are passing early in the week to cushion the blow.

Yes it is Omar, who lately only seems to posture and preen rather than break news, but I'm not dismissing it entirely.

And yes, for the record I really want the Dolphins to draft Tannehill and think Osweiler is a train wreck after watching tape on him. This move is dumb enough to reek of truth with this team.

ChambersWI
04-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Wait, passing on Tannehill for Osweiler makes people happy??? Wow, seriously???

I think it's more not taking Tannehill than taking Osweiler.

I like Brock's potential, physically he's very tempting, but he's NOWHERE near ready to start. If we drafted him, we would need to resign Moore for sure.

Of course I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if we don't get Tannehill, my top 2 choices are Luke Kuechley and Michael Floyd.

AZStryker
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I think it's more not taking Tannehill than taking Osweiler.

I like Brock's potential, physically he's very tempting, but he's NOWHERE near ready to start. If we drafted him, we would need to resign Moore for sure.

Of course I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if we don't get Tannehill, my top 2 choices are Luke Kuechley and Michael Floyd.

Watching all of his games (ASU fan) I agree he's not ready. He's also very immature and I doubt his ability to become a leader. I also completely agree with Kuechly or Floyd have to be the pick if we pass on Tannehill. They would be an easy sell and not cause mass meltdown from the fan base like Coples or Cox would.

jim1
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Smokescreens upon smokescreens upon smokescreens. The Dolphins are doing a pretty good job of COMPLETELY muddying the waters.

Exactly. I have a very strong suspiscion that their man is Brandon Weeden.

BlueFin
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
I think passing on Tannehill would be a huge mistake. I feel strongly this kid will be a star and yet another in the long line of QB's Miami passed on that they should have drafted.....meanwhile, the Dolphins remain quarterbackless................

fishbanger
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
The board was set last Wednesday nigght or Thursday. Everything that has been stated since last Friday is a smokescreen. Nothing anyone from the FO is speaking the truth. Phins may be looking to trade down and need to get a partner. The fact that they paid Osweiler to come visit is a smokescreen.

The QBs they have least mentioned are probably the front runners. Actually they have said very little about Tannehill other then the media hype has made the connections because of Sherman.

I think if you want to know what attributes Philbin is looking for in a QB then take a look at the Rodgers attributes and scouting report when he was drafted and compare it to the current crop of QBs and you may find the answer.

Scaryfoo
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
this

utahphinsfan
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm fine w/ Tannehill but would prefer its not at #8.

Weeden in the 2nd is ideal IMO but could live if the QB taken is Foles or Wilson in the 4th.

PHINATIC13
04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
...I'm ok with passing Tannehill....( I can't believe I just said that)....with the release of Merling...it could mean our Phins are going after Cox or Coples or maybe even Floyd/Blackmon....maybe our HC and GM are thinking about getting some of "other" needs for the WCO this year....and plan to sell the Farm in the next year draft(do whatever it takes to move into position) and shoot for Barkley or some other "top" QB prospect...

DKphin
04-23-2012, 09:21 PM
I love how Omar comes up with these things without having any sources.:rolleyes2:

kvado16
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
If we pass on Tannehill, ooh boy! This team will have some serious protesters on their hands. Then again Omar Kelly is an idiot, so this may not be true.

finfan54
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Well,

We know a couple of things.
Seattle was at dinner with us with Tannehill. odd.
Seattle then came out and said they really like Osweiller.
Now we supposedly like Osweiller in 2nd round.

Thinking we are trading with someone but first choice is probly Seattle.

Another thing I wonder is would Cam Wake be on trade block with say Cincy for #21 for Tannehill. End up with Coples or Ingram and Tannehill and still have a 2nd rounder to snag another DE (Chandler Jones).

Does anyone wonder why Wake suddenly came back to workouts without at snarl?

claytonduper
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Just hope we aren't using our #8 for Brock (the last 10 years have been shockingly difficult to understand what our FO is thinking)

LANGER72
04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I think(my guess at what the team could do) we are trading down in the first round as many times as possible to collect additional players from rounds 2-4 with additional picks for next year.
If you were going something like that, this is the year to do it. New regime, excellent talent in rounds 2-4. This year will be a honeymoon for Philbin and company. Next year, the pressure will be on to compete in the playoffs.
Don't be surprised when the Fins don't pick anyone until late in the evening.

DefensiveEnd76
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey now, Omar has awesome sources. He gets a lot of inside info on the Dolphins from his paperboy and the local cashier at the Supermarket.

fishfanmiami
04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I think(my guess at what the team could do) we are trading down in the first round as many times as possible to collect additional players from rounds 2-4 with additional picks for next year.
If you were going something like that, this is the year to do it. New regime, excellent talent in rounds 2-4. This year will be a honeymoon for Philbin and company. Next year, the pressure will be on to compete in the playoffs.
This

dolfan91
04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I've seen 15 of Tannehill's 19 starts over the last 2 seasons and feel he is GOING to be a very good NFL Starting Caliber QB SOMEDAY. BUT, to Draft a player at #8; who will need to sit and learn for possibly 2 seasons before he is ready, IS NOT VERY SMART. This isn't a situation where, Miami has a Brett Farve type QB already in place, so Tannehill can sit and learn his trade. Miami is not in a position of luxury, they have other needs where players who can contribute ASAP, could still be available when Miami selects at #8. I'm not against Miami selecting Tannehill, just not in the top 10. Tannehill is one of my favorites in this draft!!! but I do realize He is being over drafted if taken at Miami's spot. On the other hand IF Miami was to somehow trade down and still get Tannehill, I would jump for joy. IMO Tannehill's potential is far better than Gabbert, Ponder and Locker's and feel he could someday be a franchise QB. I would rather Ireland address another position with a far superior player who can make an immediate impact on Sunday's.

hooshoops
04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
good job omar putting out the smoke just like ireland wants you to...soak it up

Dogbone34
04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been critical of scotland in the past
We're good if he gets this one right

Miami Dolphins - Luke Kuechly

Gonzo
04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Any info from Omar doesn't qualify as a smokescreen. Maybe a ****screen. He probably does have a "source," and the FO sits there cracking up while he's on the phone with Omar. "What should we tell him this time?"

thefranchisedef
04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
i will be really really sad if we draft ohs weller. He is buns! If we pass on Tannehill we better draft kirk cousins or brandon weeden. they are the only thing that could become a franchise quarterback. osweiler has horrible accuracy, bad release, and im pretty sure he's a pot head. Brandon Weeden is the best quarterback left after luck and rg3. luck and rg3 dont have the arm strength and accuracy that weeden has. WEEDEN has elite talent.

insom187
04-24-2012, 02:32 AM
I think if Fletcher Cox is there at #8 we may be able to trade picks with the Eagles who really want him before Carolina has a chance at him (who I've seen take him in many mocks I've checked). That way we can pick up an extra pick either in the 2nd or 3rd and might still get Tannehill at better value (Philly's 1st and 2nd would be the picks if going by the trade value chart). Not that I'm a huge fan of Mel Kiper but I like it when he described a scenario where the Dolphins trade down and dare another team to draft Tannehill with an early pick. If we pick at #8 I'm still in Camp Keuchly but at #15 I think that's a really good pick (Tannehill I mean). Should we trade down and a team does decide to take Tannehill before we pick at #15 we will have still grabbed an extra pick to try and fill the holes across this roster.

Seem plausible?

Ricky4Life
04-24-2012, 02:45 AM
I am hoping for Arron Murray next year anyway so I am fine with this.

Eloz13
04-24-2012, 04:50 AM
I don't buy it! Tannehill is the pick..... Phins are playing it cool and will pull the trigger. He will sit for a year behind Moore and be the starter in '13.

mia4ever
04-24-2012, 05:07 AM
exactly. I have a very strong suspiscion that their man is brandon weeden.b. I .n .g .o

TheWarriorFins
04-24-2012, 05:09 AM
I wish this was true but it's from omar

ROADRUNNER
04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
DeCastro this year and all out for Barkley next year...............

LikeUntoGod
04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
LB Luke Kuechly with our 1st. I do not like Dansby and I feel that he is overpaid, not elite and has maybe 2 season left. Kuechly would start as a rookie and have at least 100 tackles for us. IMO, he is a future All Pro waiting to be drafted.

BARF
04-24-2012, 08:04 AM
omar is never right, lets hope he is right on this one

Morey161
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Brock sucks.

Zounds
04-24-2012, 08:11 AM
These are the kinds of blurbs Miami has to put out to prevent someone from trading in front of them to get Tannehill

Hayden Fox
04-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Tannehill is the guy then if it is an Omar report.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Too bad we couldn't pass on Omar............

abNORMal
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Straight up, y'all...I'm confused as hell as far as what we should do in the draft. I know now that if we had "sucked for Luck" I would feel better about the draft, or even if we were the ones that traded up for RG3, I would be happy at least knowing the QB position was taken care of. Man, if Landry Jones had played lights out last season and was coming out and Barkley had decided to come out this year too, we would be sitting pretty. But, oh hell no, the stars did not line up right and here we sit with mediocre options at QB (again).

Where the hell is Boomer, to tell me what I should be thinking?????
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/04/imagesqtbnANd9GcQYQToln_NXLvreLmzLEgloAJ-1.jpg

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
you shouldn't be thinking landry jones for starters...guys garbage

state06
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM

this would be ideal imo.

abNORMal
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Just sayin,' Landry Jones was not considered garbage going into last season. He was spretty highly regarded. If he had met those expectations....and made himself available in the draft along with Barkley, ooohhh weeee!!! but alas, twasn't meant to be. and here we sit, hoping for one mediocre QB prospect over another.

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
whats ideal about trading down as much as possible and choosing quantity over quality??? that's how you end up with a roster full of average talents and few true difference makers...you're in the top 10 for a reason...go get a premium talent

abNORMal
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
double post, second one cancelled...

Tunaphish429
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
well we will see on thurs...If he falls, I would love to see Miami try and get back into the first round and take him tho.

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
i really believe that if tannehill gets by us and kc passes like i think they will tannehill will get into the mid 20's at least...cleveland all indications are all about weeden either at #22 or #37 or trading up a little from #37...tannehill could be sitting there in the late 20's i wouldn't be opposed to taking a true premium talent a #8 and then jumping back into late 1st round for tannehill if he fell into our wheelhouse...i just wonder about the cost from #42 to say #25...

but that would require ireland having some serious stones...pass up the qb he wants at #8 and have the faith he can get him late in round 1...stones

DcRy82
04-24-2012, 11:08 AM
whats ideal about trading down as much as possible and choosing quantity over quality??? that's how you end up with a roster full of average talents and few true difference makers...you're in the top 10 for a reason...go get a premium talent

I'm STILL pissed we didn't take Earl Thomas when we had the chance.

DcRy82
04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
If we pass on Tanne, I hope we snag Russell Wilson in the 4th. I know he's only 5'11, but he has a high release and threw over/between the largest line in college football last year. If he was 6'3, he'd be a top 10 pick. The guy wins. He's extremely intelligent (learning 2 completely different systems). he has a cot in the film room. Played in the WCO type offense with NC State for 3 years. had almost 73% completions in a pro style offense in his first season at Wisconsin. Wilson in the 4th to me is a much better option than Osweiler, Weeden, or Cousins in the 2nd round.

fishbanger
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
If no tannehill then trade down. There is not enough value in the 8th pick other then Decastro and he is a RG. HE does fill a big need for us at the value. However he is also not a playmaker we lack. It will be difficult to trade down but there are a few teams that may want the DT or OG or something else to trade up to.

mfish41
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Meh.... Brock Osweiller seemed like a huge phony on Gruden QB Camp. But he does have some good physical attributes.

Just not impressed with the QBs left. I honestly might just take a flyer on Russel Wilson in round 4-5 and look to draft a guy next year.

I agree with you on Russell Wilson. The guy seems to be a good character guy and an excellent athlete.

Rodney1505
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
well lets sit back and see what happens hope he is right

pccanale
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Cameron Wake is gone. Expect the Dolphins to trade down into mid 1st to get their guy and maybe back into the first to get Tannenhill. I find it hard to believe they don't get Tannenhill.

If they actually pick at 8 rather than trade the pick, they will not get Tannenhill. Just might not be that big on him.

pccanale
04-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I just think the guy's 30yrs old. Prime age to trade a guy rather than pay him big money. He deserves it and he deserves a new contract. We'd just rather not pay him.

Also, we will get a Stud TE and release Fasano to save 4.75mm. Book it.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

russel Wilson would be a waste of a pick at 4th or 5th. I'd rather get a stud corner to push Sean Smith. Come'on. Not sure why Omar is so high on Cousins though.

I want Tannenhill bad. Great kid and I could see him in a Dolphins uniform. I see the future...