PDA

View Full Version : LANGER's final mock

LANGER72
04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
The draft is in a couple of days. I made a few changes. I omitted Osweiler who I liked as a project because of the likely hood of RT.

Thoughts or opinions?

Round 1 - #8 - QB Ryan Tannehill (It looks like the pick, I would rather have Keuchly)

Round 2 - #42 - DE Vinny Curry (He could really give us some pressure off the edge)

Round 3A - #73 - CB Brandon Boykin (Nice replacement for Sean Smith at CB)

Round 3B - #74 - WR Brian Quick (play maker at WR)

Round 4 - #104 - WR TY Hilton (play maker at WR and KR)

Round 5 - #170 - OG Senio Kelemete (zone blocking guard)

Round 6 - #219 - DE Vernon Oliver (giving some love to UM. The guy might be player)

Round 7 - #232 - TE Cory Harkley (never heard of him. Give him a shot at TE or ST)

fininpsl
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd love that draft. I personally prefer getting our pressure player in Rd 1, but I'm not sold Coples is worth it at 8 given his riskyness. Still, I think Vernon and Irvin would be a solid haul at DE/OLB. You are right on with the WR picks in the middle rounds. With this being such a deep WR class I think our FO waits til the 3rd round to address the position. Like others I'm not sold on Tannyhill, but I've yet to hear one scout say he didn't have a very high ceiling. I don't look at his limited experience as a downside. I think it explains his shortcomings thusfar. Look at Brady's first full year as a starter in college. It was far worse than Tannyhills play. IMHO it just means we've yet to see him close to his potential. He's a risky pick, but if they like him, I'm not gonna cry about taking the chance. And Boykin would really solidify our secondary. Good mock.

finfan54
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I kinda like the positions where you took them but would replace Curry with Chandler Jones (based on who Ireland likes) and Juron Criner instead of Quick in 3rd. Criner is way more polished than Quick and will probly fall there.

fishbanger
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I vote you for GM. Send in your picks. You may be right if Cleveland takes Richardson or one of the elite 6.

J Tes
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I kinda like the positions where you took them but would replace Curry with Chandler Jones (based on who Ireland likes) and Juron Criner instead of Quick in 3rd. Criner is way more polished than Quick and will probly fall there.

No way is Chandler Jones lasting until pick 42 but i'd love it if he did

phintim
04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
You need another offensive line man. I know everyone is sick and tired of the OL but they are retooling it this year completly with only Long and Pouncy secure. They brought more OL men in than any other position for rookie visits followed by the secondary and WR positions. i would make room for a Ole Miss OT Bobbie Massie in the 3rd in your draft. Other than that it works but I just see Parcells influence still on this team and Parcells loved drafting OLB high in the draft. I see Ireland swinging for the fenses with Couples and hoping Oswiller at QB will buy him time in the 2nd round. But thats just my opinion. Good job.

DKphin
04-24-2012, 12:57 AM
CORY HARKEY UCLA 6-4 270

A big, strong in-line tight end prospect with a muscular looking lower half and good girth throughout his frame. Isn't a great athlete by any stretch, but does a nice job keeping his base down on his release, getting into his routes quickly and not wasting any motion off the ball. Displays good enough short area quickness and hand usage to slip the bump off the line as well. Isn't a guy who can threaten the seam and will drift at times when trying to settle his feet out of his breaks. However, he does have some snap in tight areas, uses his body well to shield and can adjust. Hands are inconsistent however, lets too many throws into his frame and isn't going to win for you in man coverage at the next level.

Nevertheless, this is a guy who can routinely win for a team as an in-line blocker. Coils up into his stance well, keeps his base under him and generates an explosive thrust off the ball. Extends his arms well, takes proper angles and squares his head with the target. Runs his legs well through contact, displays good hand placement and routinely can handle DE's off the snap and on the move.

Is tough to disengage from as his combination of power and coordination allow him to stick. At times will whiff into contact trying to fire off the ball quicker and loses balance, but for the most part takes very good angles. Also, looks natural in pass protection. Displays some range/anchor strength when asked to block on the edge, keeps his head on a swivel and is coordinated enough to re-direct and picking up a stunting linebacker.

Impression: He's a guy who can win for you as a blocker in both the run and pass game. If he's willing to be a down and dirty type tight end, has the ability to stick in the league for a while.:up:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=36731

sinPHIN
04-24-2012, 01:56 AM
i like it, but boykin isnt very good on the outside. he has good burst and quikness to be a nickel tho. give me givens over hilton,i dont think ty hilton would be an upgrade over gates, so i dont think he would make the team. but who knows. love the curry pick. like the quick pick as well

JCane
04-24-2012, 02:03 AM
Boykin pick would be a concern for me because of the Senior Bowl leg injury. Just where is he in the rehab stages at this point. Is he on track, etc.

LOVE that Vernon pick. Kid is a MONSTER who suffered from poor poor PISS POOR coaching at Miami just like all the other kids (ie: Sam Shields) who did NOTHING at Miami and went on to the league to give solid effort and contributions.

Vernon is a late-round steal.

sinPHIN
04-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Boykin pick would be a concern for me because of the Senior Bowl leg injury. Just where is he in the rehab stages at this point. Is he on track, etc.

LOVE that Vernon pick. Kid is a MONSTER who suffered from poor poor PISS POOR coaching at Miami just like all the other kids (ie: Sam Shields) who did NOTHING at Miami and went on to the league to give solid effort and contributions.

Vernon is a late-round steal.
i havent watched a whole lot on him but what i did see it looks like he struggles against the run and didnt look explosive, he was also having a hard time getting off blocks. i did se him make some plays tho. but like i said i havent seen a whole lot on him, but i alot of people on here seem to like him

JC
04-24-2012, 03:51 AM
I think some people overlook offensive lineman because it is not a "sexy" pick. We can have as many playmakers as we want, but with as many holes as we have on the line now, we won't be able to adequately get the ball moving.

insom187
04-24-2012, 04:22 AM
I think some people overlook offensive lineman because it is not a "sexy" pick. We can have as many playmakers as we want, but with as many holes as we have on the line now, we won't be able to adequately get the ball moving.

I think people overlook lineman here because we've recently spent two first round picks on lineman and we lack play making offensive players. Good lineman can be found later in the draft )as many other teams in the league right now have proven), we don't need to use all our first round picks on linemen.

The Confessor
04-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Change DeCastro for Tannehill and I could easily get behind that Mock!!!

Boykin is gonna be a steal for a team that can let him sit and continue to mend.
Not only a very good cover guy, but a very very dominant return man as well.

EDIT: Change Decastro, Engram, Floyd, Keuchly or even Coples out for Tannehill and I could easily get behind that Mock!!!

The Confessor
04-24-2012, 05:16 AM
I think people overlook lineman here because we've recently spent two first round picks on lineman and we lack play making offensive players. Good lineman can be found later in the draft )as many other teams in the league right now have proven), we don't need to use all our first round picks on linemen.

If DeCastro is still there, he is one of the few guys that is a legit to start right out of the blocks. In fact, he is easily as sure a pick as you can make in this draft.

IF we do finally end up with a solid QB, you need guys like these in front of him, and I don't care who that QB is.

insom187
04-25-2012, 02:47 AM
How many teams though have 3 first round lineman in their starting lineup (that they drafted themselves)? Honestly I don't know but I'm pretty sure you wont find any. What we need most is not a safe pick that can start right away, we need a playmaker. I'm not sold on Tannehill but I wont be surprised or upset if we take him, I'm thinking more on the defensive side and going for Kuechly or Barron. Those are two guys that can also start right away and have a huge impact on our team immediately. I'd like to point out I'm in total agreement that DeCastro looks to be an amazing prospect and will likely be a multiple pro-bowler but he's not my guy this year.

The Confessor
04-25-2012, 05:30 AM
How many teams though have 3 first round lineman in their starting lineup (that they drafted themselves)? Honestly I don't know but I'm pretty sure you wont find any. What we need most is not a safe pick that can start right away, we need a playmaker. I'm not sold on Tannehill but I wont be surprised or upset if we take him, I'm thinking more on the defensive side and going for Kuechly or Barron. Those are two guys that can also start right away and have a huge impact on our team immediately. I'd like to point out I'm in total agreement that DeCastro looks to be an amazing prospect and will likely be a multiple pro-bowler but he's not my guy this year.

I'm honestly not completely sold on Barron, but wouldn't be completely against the pick, but I think we could trade back 10 spots and still get him.

I wouild be completely on board with Kuechly, Engram or Cox. No problems what-so-ever.

Once again, what getting DeCastro would mean, we are absolutely SET on the O-line. After that, you can plug in guys at either LG or RT and no problems.
Having 3 potential Perrenial Pro-Bowlers along that line is the sort of thing that has made Brady great. For years, he never got touched and had forever to throw....... IJS.

utahphinsfan
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
The draft is in a couple of days. I made a few changes. I omitted Osweiler who I liked as a project because of the likely hood of RT.

Thoughts or opinions?

Round 1 - #8 - QB Ryan Tannehill (It looks like the pick, I would rather have Keuchly)

Round 2 - #42 - DE Vinny Curry (He could really give us some pressure off the edge)

Round 3A - #73 - CB Brandon Boykin (Nice replacement for Sean Smith at CB)

Round 3B - #74 - WR Brian Quick (play maker at WR)

Round 4 - #104 - WR TY Hilton (play maker at WR and KR)

Round 5 - #170 - OG Senio Kelemete (zone blocking guard)

Round 6 - #219 - DE Vernon Oliver (giving some love to UM. The guy might be player)

Round 7 - #232 - TE Cory Harkley (never heard of him. Give him a shot at TE or ST)

I don't know if Kelemete will still be on the board in the 5th.

Another pass rusher to consider is Branch (Clemson) in the 2nd. Miami could go w/ the D3 TE, Dunsmore (NWestern), or Bradie Ewing (FB (Wisconsin) in the 7th.

Rodriguez (TE/H-back) Temple could be good value on day 3.

The Homer in me says don't over look Bergstrom (OL in round 3) or Shelby (DE day 3)

utahphinsfan
04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm honestly not completely sold on Barron, but wouldn't be completely against the pick, but I think we could trade back 10 spots and still get him.

I wouild be completely on board with Kuechly, Engram or Cox. No problems what-so-ever.

Once again, what getting DeCastro would mean, we are absolutely SET on the O-line. After that, you can plug in guys at either LG or RT and no problems.
Having 3 potential Perrenial Pro-Bowlers along that line is the sort of thing that has made Brady great. For years, he never got touched and had forever to throw....... IJS.

Cowboys are really Jonesin (pun intended??) for Barron as I understand it.

I'd rather Miami take Kuechly @ 8. As for QB, my pref is Weeden (2nd) then Foles or Wilson in the 4th/5th.

Fin Thirteen
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
You're right, Langer, we did go for similar mocks, though using different players. Olivier Vernon I thought about but went for a second WR instead. Kelemete may well be a better lineman pick than my guy from Troy, Brown.

Nice. Would not be on board with Keuchly at 8 though.

The Confessor
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Cowboys are really Jonesin (pun intended??) for Barron as I understand it.

I'd rather Miami take Kuechly @ 8. As for QB, my pref is Weeden (2nd) then Foles or Wilson in the 4th/5th.

I'd say that Barron is Dallas' Tannehill. The fans are the ones that are in love with him, not necessarily the FO.

Sorry brother, I wouldn't touch Nick Foles in the draft period. Invite him to camp if he goes undrafted? Sure....but no how no way would I give up a pick for him.

Elliott 1
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
I think if they stay at #8 the pick is Fletcher Cox, and a QB in the 2nd.