PDA

View Full Version : Ireland will not take a skill player with the #1...

Dmarino110
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
The reasoning is that skill players have a higher potential to be busts than linemen (they also have a good potential to be better than people gave them credit for)...Ireland (parcells Jr.) doesnt do, high risk high reward players...Generally what you see is what you get with a lineman and it translates to the NFL (minus a few exceptions)...

just my opinion, I could be wrong but I fully expect coples if we cant move back...

I would be shocked if he took a chance on tannehill...(or any skill player for that matter)

Spesh
04-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm fully expecting DeCastro to be the pick.

This will be justified by saying "hey, he's the most talented player on our board". While that might be true, we just saw the sort of impact drafting a interior lineman early has on a season. Namely: little impact.

datruth55
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Can't argue against what you're saying. So far he done nothing but draft safe picks. We've been in the top 15 in 3 of the 4 draft he's been here and he's taken Jake Long, traded back to take Jared Odrick and taken Pouncey. That's pretty overwhelming evidence right there.

SamIam
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
So if we had the #2 overall pick.. you think Ireland would pass on Robert Griffin?

Spesh
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
So if we had the #2 overall pick.. you think Ireland would pass on Robert Griffin?

Is that rhetorical?

LANGER72
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Is that rhetorical?

Well...we had the #1 pick and we took a LT...

datruth55
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I think if Washington would have offered us what they gave the Rams he probably would have traded down.

Spesh
04-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Well...we had the #1 pick and we took a LT...

Exactly. We also passed on Dalton(and others) last draft. We've done it before, why shouldnt we believe Ireland would do it again?

foozool13
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
It's either Coples or Tannehill.

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
i would argue that a 43 de is a skill position player...but ireland better snap out of not taking playmakers with top picks...they rarely are available in free agency in their prime and the contracts they sign if they are are astronomical...you want to pickup 2nd tier guys in free agency you better got high end difference makers and playmakers with your top picks in the draft...especially when you have a top 10 one...

phinatic1399
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
offensive lineman dont win championships, skill players do

finfan54
04-24-2012, 08:56 PM
offensive lineman dont win championships, skill players do

you should tell larry csonka that and see what he says. He gave credit for any of his success to the beef up front. different era I know but Im sorry, if you dont have an OL, you will not go to the dance. We have only half a line.

SamIam
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
you should tell larry csonka that and see what he says. He gave credit for any of his success to the beef up front. different era I know but Im sorry, if you dont have an OL, you will not go to the dance. We have only half a line.

The colts won the sb with an average o-line and average d

JEDIJ007
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
thats why parcells has 0 superbowl wins as a gm

PJack
04-24-2012, 09:53 PM

And Larry Csonka would be right...because that's how you won in the 1970's. Really doesn't work in this pass happy NFL unless you have a historically good defense. Playmakers....for the love of god....we need PLAYMAKERS!

JC
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
The colts won the sb with an average o-line and average d

But the difference is Jeff Saturday creating the cohesiveness along the offensive line.

Also had two premier pass rushers in Freeney and Mathis.

Just saying.

finfan54
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Its about following your board and all things equal go need and also value in the rest of the draft.

WR is so deep with talent that I think this skill position will get left out (Floyd).
QB Ireland is looking to trade down IMO and then justify taking him (should some loser team not trade up ahead of us-if this happens, Blackmon or someone drops to us then trade down can happen bigtime but we lose out on Thill.

If Coples or Decastro those are not safe picks, those are picks who are ranked high for good reason and are position of need.

finfan54
04-24-2012, 10:52 PM
And Larry Csonka would be right...because that's how you won in the 1970's. Really doesn't work in this pass happy NFL unless you have a historically good defense. Playmakers....for the love of god....we need PLAYMAKERS!

yeah but WR is deep.
We are taking a QB IMO so.....
Still need a complete OL to go to the dance. If we have injuries to key spots without drafting a OL or two we are screwed.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Coples is too risky with the lack of motor and effort. Fletcher Cox is the safest bet, therefore he is who i think Ireland will draft. Edge setting OLB, with the strength and heft to be a DT in 4-3.