PDA

View Full Version : Did Ireland slip a little in this interview?

pnayan
04-24-2012, 12:43 PM
did ireland just slip and said "we'll use the draft to solve issues like front line help" and then quickly caught himself and said "and other positions"?

I thought that last part of the interview was interesting, it's after the 19:00 minute mark.

Maybe we do look for a Couples/Cox/Decastro in round 1?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/24/the-full-jeff-ireland-interview-from-mondays-pft-live/

Phins28
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
He loves cornfed lineman.

NUGap
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I noticed that too. But it's all going to depend on who's there.

There was another part where Florio asks him about the Redskins trade setting the market for trading up. Ireland in the middle of talking goes "that hasn't affected.." and stops himself, I would imagine he had planned to say "that hasn't affected us". While not many people thought the Dolphins were going to trade up - I thought that he had started to pretty much say they weren't looking to trade up. Some sort of confirmation I suppose.

I'm stretching for any information at this point.

Dolphin Dave
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
He loves cornfed lineman.

Ireland on draft day reminds me of that old Wendy's commercial. The little old lady at the counter looking at her hamburger and the camera asking "where's the beef!"

MadDog 88
04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Prior to drafting Jake Long Ireland stated about the possible #1 pick, "he's the type of player you build your defense around." Point is don't believe anything you here right now.

TheWalrus
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Needing "front line" help isn't much of a mystery and probably indicates more of the plan for round 2 (unless they trade down and target a Jonathan Martin or David DeCastro, which I doubt). When I look at the draft, I think there will be a lot of good depth both on the offensive line and at pass rusher available at 42. Which one they decide to invest in will say a lot about where their priorities are and how they plan to attack the rest of the draft.

Ireland's statement -- if it's anything -- might be an indication they're looking at guys like Bobby Massie and Keliche Osemele at that pick rather than pass rushers like Bruce Irvin, Chandler Jones (though his stock is through the roof right now) or Malik Jackson.

If it's me, I'm focusing on pass rush help, but the right side of the OL was a pretty glaring hole, our new head coach is an old offensive line coach and Ireland has even mentioned in interviews about how Philbin "got after" him about needing to protect the quarterback better. That all points to offensive line being something of an emphasis, though I would have preferred they just sign Eric Winston.

phintim
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I watched the interview too and took away from it that he was warning the Press not to expect a QB pick at #8. We do need tons of help on the front line for whatever reasons the OL never developed under Sporano so all those picks and FA signings are going to be dumped IMO to correct this long term issue. Plus we are changing the offensive line philophy moving back to quick linemen. So I expect at least 2 picks in this draft to be used on offensive linemen with only Long and Pouncy safe. I know that will upset some fans. I am hoping it will not happen until the 3rd round but I expect one taken by then. Really there is a ton of good talent available on the OL where we are picking but I am also hoping that either one of the very top 5 picks drop to us like a Blackmon or Clayborn which I doubt. After reading Bills Parcells info on players on this draft and his input affecting Ireland plus our need for a pass rusher outside wake plus the potential of Coples I just see him as our pick unless as Ireland says he does not draft players that do not have the mental side of the game down. Would love to see us trade back for more picks but after reading all the press posts the value in this draft may be trading up in the first round as so many teams want to trade back. It really is stange to me that teams this year would want to trade back with the new rookie salary cap lowering the cost of 1st round picks. You would think that would want them want to move up more than down for a good pick.

mfish41
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Prior to drafting Jake Long Ireland stated about the possible #1 pick, "he's the type of player you build your defense around." Point is don't believe anything you here right now.

I remember this, he even blushed after he said it. Perhaps if we follow this that means we are going to get a skill player in the 1st..... we could only hope.

SamIam
04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
I am waiting for the day when we stop drafting O-Linemen... specially high

cullenbigcstill
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
But just because he said front line, don't just assume he means the offensive line, where there are needs; but also the front defensive lines as well, where there are needs. Maybe he tipped his hands....but more likely he has people wondering and not entirely sure, and that's where Ireland is on point! The man does very well with 1st round picks and later round picks. Everything being said helps add confusion to Car, BUF, KC, SEA, ARI, DAL, PHI, NYJ and so on, because no one has a clue whiuch direction the crafty and arrogant bastard will go!

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
i wouldn't take anything from that...ireland knows what he's doing with what he says and he said it to keep people doing exactly what you're all here doing now...

ROADRUNNER
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Bump............

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Fletcher Cox, write it down :)

Exuro
04-24-2012, 03:58 PM
If you believe anything Jeff Ireland says the week of the draft, then I have a bridge to sell you

Crzynick25
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
i think its great we are rebuilding our Lines just like we did when he and bill and tony got here in 2008......glad that worked out well the first time.

Spesh
04-24-2012, 04:42 PM
did ireland just slip and said "we'll use the draft to solve issues like front line help" and then quickly caught himself and said "and other positions"?

I thought that last part of the interview was interesting, it's after the 19:00 minute mark.

Maybe we do look for a Couples/Cox/Decastro in round 1?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/24/the-full-jeff-ireland-interview-from-mondays-pft-live/

Actually, this is a relief.

Anyone remember back in '08 when he "slipped" by saying "we just want to get the defensive player we can" or something to that effect.

Hes trying to throw out smokescreen. Its horrifically delivered and easily seen through, but at least hes trying.

foozool13
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
The week leading up to the draft is when all of the BS starts to come out. Teams are SUPER TIGHT with everything at this time so anythign you do hear is either complete bull**** or misdirection.

polstein
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Is there anything Ireland can do at this point in the 1st that would not make him look like an idiot - shy of drafting Luck in some sort of miracle? I allllmost feel for the guy. This was supposed to be a QB class. Fins start 0-7 & he thinks he gets a lock on a QB. Then they start winning. Then QB's go back to school. Man can't win.

Anyway, since Tann is far from a lock at QB, and wouldn't start this year anyway - I don't see how he can't get something to work with and/or replace Wake... and that's just not the sexy pick most people want.

Lord Of Miami
04-25-2012, 01:21 AM
When he said front line stand point at the 19:45 mark he was talking about finding starters.

Not just players that play on the line..... funny thread:crazy:

umpalu
04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I love how Sparano was an offensive line guy, we spent a ton of energy with picks and free agency on getting guys for the line the last few years and we still are talking about Irelands talent evaluation because there is the possibility we might draft one with the 1st round pick because half of the line is a mess. Incredible.