PDA

View Full Version : Why Ryan Tannehill is a First-Round Prospect

where's th'fish
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/03/12/why-ryan-tannehill-is-a-first-round-prospect/

One of the best scout authors out there gives his take on Tannehill. A must-read if you're interested in going deeper into football.

My favorite part is the photos, which I much prefer to videos, to illustrate his points.

Slim
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Great article... thanks for posting.

SkapePhin
04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Nice article... Is this guy a former NFL scout? Or just some guy? Pretty cool analysis regardless.

Rodney1505
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
niice

where's th'fish
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
As far as I know, he's just some guy who knows his football

sircole
04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Good article!!

tay0365
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Awesome article, not just another opinion, but someone that actually shows why be believes what he believes.

allsilverdreams
04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
He may be a first round qb but not sure is is a top 8 player

SkapePhin
04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
He may be a first round qb but not sure is is a top 8 player

Who cares, if they feel he can be a successful QB, TAKE HIM, regardless of "value".

mrbunglez
04-24-2012, 07:44 PM
That was an excellent analysis. Here's hoping he's a Miami Dolphin on Thursday!

WaxOn WaxOff
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
That analysis fails at the start. He compares Tannehill favorably to Andy Dalton. Dalton was a winner in college. That is the most important "stat".

JerryWrasse
04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
good read

finfan54
04-24-2012, 08:31 PM
It would be my wish to get Tannehill after a trade down because I dont think anyone else will take him up to 22.

TheWalrus
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
That analysis fails at the start. He compares Tannehill favorably to Andy Dalton. Dalton was a winner in college. That is the most important "stat".

Hardly. Or were you the guy who preferred Leinart and Vince Young over Jay Cutler? Or Todd Blackledge over John Elway? Surely your favorite QB this year is Kellen Moore, then.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Hardly. Or were you the guy who preferred Leinart and Vince Young over Jay Cutler? Or Todd Blackledge over John Elway? Surely your favorite QB this year is Kellen Moore, then.

As for Cutler, I'm not sure what he has done to warrant praise. Elway and Blackledge? I'd have to go backwards in my time machine on that one.

TheWalrus
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
As for Cutler, I'm not sure what he has done to warrant praise.

What he's done is be a much better quarterback than Vince Young and Matt Leinart, who were both taken ahead of him, despite being well below .500 as a starting quarterback for Vandy.

Elway and Blackledge? I'd have to go backwards in my time machine on that one.

Please do. Then come back and apologize for saying the only stat that matters for college quarterbacks is "wins." While you're back there, go ahead and check out the pro careers of Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, Art Schlichter, Danny Wuerffuel and Cade McNown for me (Elway, for his part, never even led Stanford to a winning season).

Oh, and while you're there, punch Biff.

SebasMiamiFan
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Great post!

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
interesting stuff...feel for pressure and the pocket is very good...keeps eyes down field looking for a target when he leaves the pocket...lets just hope he's a better pro when its all said and done than andy dalton cause that kid doesn't have me thinking franchise qb

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
by the way gruden qb camp ryan tannehill tonight on espnu...set the dvr

PJack
04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
It would be my wish to get Tannehill after a trade down because I dont think anyone else will take him up to 22.

Don't know he makes it to 22 but I would be far happier trading down 5-10 spots and then taking him. Could net us another second.

If not I truly hope we go BPA at a playmaker position.

hooshoops
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
you can also tape tannehills bowl game against northwestern immediately following the gruden qb camp at 12:30 AM on espnu...

Geforce
04-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Nice article... Is this guy a former NFL scout? Or just some guy? Pretty cool analysis regardless.

From his website
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/

Matt Waldman is a football writer and analyst. His annual publication, The Rookie Scouting Portfolio (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2011/11rsp.php), is the most comprehensive evaluation of NFL prospects at the skill positions (QB, RB, WR, and TE) available.

Geforce
04-25-2012, 01:37 AM
Matt Waldman, who has published The Rookie Scouting Portfolio for the past seven years has written several articles about Ryan Tannehill including these two about Tannehill ability to manage the pocket.

Managing the Pocket pt1
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/09/managing-the-pocket-part-i-texas-am-qb-ryan-tannehill/

There is no better scenario to test some of the quarterback’s decision-making prowess than when he’s in the pocket and pressure is on its way. With an abundance of college offenses employing spread passing games, there are fewer opportunities to evaluate a quarterback in a pocket under pressure that is similar to what they will experience in the NFL. Somtimes I can watch Arizona State, Texas Tech, Houston, or Oklahoma State and not even see pressure in the pocket during an entire game.

Texas A&M plays a pro-style offense that former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman brought to College Station. While there are spread concepts incorporated into this offense, the Aggies run personnel sets with fullbacks and tight ends and its quarterback under center. And their quarterback Ryan Tannehill put on an impressive display of what it means to possess pocket presence from both pro-style and spread concepts against an Oklahoma State defense that caused more turnovers than any team in the FBS last year.

I should note that Tannehill threw three interceptions in the second half of this game, but only one was actually a poor play on his part. The others were a tipped pass and a wide receiver slipping during his break with the ball already in the air and giving up the outside position to the cornerback on a deep comeback. Tannehill, for multiple reasons that I’ll explain in the 2012 Rookie Scouting Portfolio, is one of the best quarterback prospects in this class. Today we’re confining the analysis to pocket management. and

Managing the Pocket pt2
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/11/managing-the-pocket-part-ii-texas-am-qb-ryan-tannehill/

“If I worked out a quarterback for an NFL team, he’d have to show me 100 throws off his back foot.”

-Dan Marino

This is one of two statements about quarterbacking from Marino that football analyst Pat Kirwan shared in his book Take Your Eye Off The Ball that demonstrates the difference between the theory and practice of the NFL game for a pro passer. The second statement is about having a good internal clock – the awareness of the length of time a play should take, how long its actually taking, and what the defense is doing to add or subtract from that amount of time. Marino says a good internal clock “can be a quarterback’s most important asset.”

A player I’d like to watch with Dan Marino – alright, ONE of ANY player I’d like to watch with Dan Marino – is Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. The 2012 NFL Draft prospect has good pocket presence for a college quarterback. In fact, against Oklahoma State in September, Tannehill put on a clinic of what defines good pocket presence. In the previous post of Managing the Pocket (http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/09/managing-the-pocket-part-i-texas-am-qb-ryan-tannehill/), I analyzed two plays of Tannehill’s that involved the subtleties of avoiding pressure. Today I’m featuring three plays that demonstrate two of Marino’s preferred traits of a quarterback and likely a third that I don’t have a quote from him about: managing adversity.

where's th'fish
04-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Uh, no.

dolfan91
04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Sounds like the Tannehill analysis by Mayock and Bunting who are predicting he will become a very good NFL Starter with more experience is validated by this article. I've liked Tannehill since last season and he has showed improvement during 2011. I think he's the real deal, now all I got to do is find a way to stop worrying about all the negative junk out there by the nay sayer's, and learn to love the pick even if it at #8.

polstein
04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I liked the way this analysis was done with the pix, but I always worry that these are simply cherry picked plays & not the normal.

I worry (if they take him at 8) that the answer to "Why Ryan is a 1st Round Prospect" isn't "because Barkly & Landry went back to school)

where's th'fish
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I liked the way this analysis was done with the pix, but I always worry that these are simply cherry picked plays & not the normal.

I worry (if they take him at 8) that the answer to "Why Ryan is a 1st Round Prospect" isn't "because Barkly & Landry went back to school)

I know what you mean, but go to draftbreakdown.com, they have edited clips of entire games for lots of prospects. Watch Tannehill's. You'll consistently see much of what this guy says. In that particular game he makes several "veteran" decisions, aka throwing the ball away, and consistently shows good mechanics. From that game, I don't get the "he's very raw" concept, which is something Matt also brings up in the article.

Looks like a very solid prospect to me.

Oh, and btw: the plays in the article were chosen from a terrible half of football he had statistically, kind of to prove the point they weren't cherry-picked.

finomenal
04-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Bump. Great article.

Funky Fin
04-27-2012, 01:27 AM
What he's done is be a much better quarterback than Vince Young and Matt Leinart, who were both taken ahead of him, despite being well below .500 as a starting quarterback for Vandy.

Please do. Then come back and apologize for saying the only stat that matters for college quarterbacks is "wins." While you're back there, go ahead and check out the pro careers of Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, Art Schlichter, Danny Wuerffuel and Cade McNown for me (Elway, for his part, never even led Stanford to a winning season).

Oh, and while you're there, punch Biff.

:lol:

clutch
04-27-2012, 02:52 AM
im not sure