PDA

View Full Version : Kuechly or Barron?

insom187
04-25-2012, 03:52 AM
If we choose to not take Tannehill at #8, or he just isn't available, I feel that the 'Fins will go with one of the bigger defensive playmakers left on the board. To me that is either Luke Kuechly or Mark Barron. I'm much more familiar with the MLB from B.C. as I'm from the northeast and have seen a lot of his tape over recent seasons. I know Barron played for an absolutely dominant, national championship winning defense and was an important part of it, solidifying his reputation as the best safety in this years draft. Drafting either would fill a position of need for us and both could start day one. Based on their college production and reputations I would not be surprised if either of them were Captains by their second year. If not Tannehill which would you rather see us pick up?

IMO I don't see us taking Floyd due to both his past run ins with the law, low numbers his final college season and the idea we don't need to be top heavy at the WR position in the WCO but rather fill it out with mid-round prospects. Going back to a 4-3 means we could use more depth at DT so Cox is also an option as well as Coples and Ingram at the DE position opposite Wake but Kuechly and Barron are more dominant at their position and like I pointed out either would fill a need for us as well. I'm leaning towards Kuechly because he is built like, and has the numbers similar to, Patrick Willis had coming out of college and we have all seen how a player like that can change the entire mindset and output of a defense. Wouldn't be upset with Barron either as we have also seen that safeties of his caliber (potentially) can change a game in an instant from either the line of scrimmage or 40 yards down field.

Excited for the draft, I can't wait for Thursday!

rickd13
04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Nothing would make me sicker than the Dolphins wasting the 8th pick in the draft on a strong safety.

Fin Thirteen
04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Eric Berry was worth an early pick. Mark Barron is not Eric Berry.

Zounds
04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Kuechly is one of three players I'd be happy with at #8. I dont think Barron is an impact player and worthy of the #8 pick.

j-off-her-doll
04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't be pissed about Barron, but I wouldn't be thrilled.

I'd be near-thrilled with Kuechly.

LikeUntoGod
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Luke Kuechly is a future All Pro. He will start and have a big impact as a rookie.

K Dansby has at best two seasons left, he is overpaid and it not a elite player. We are going to have a huge hole there soon.

LikeUntoGod
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012ILB.php

Luke Kuechly*, ILB, Boston College
Height: 6-3. Weight: 242.
40 Time: 4.50.
Bench: 27.
Vertical: 38. Broad: 10-3.
Arm: 31.
Projected Round (2012): Top-16.

4/25/12: Kuechly is the top linebacker in the draft and one of the best linebackers to enter the NFL over the past decade. He could be one of the safest picks in the entire draft class. As far as pure football players, he is one of the best and is in the top 10 of everybody's big board rankings.

Kuechly laid to rest any concerns about his speed with a fabulous showing at the Combine. He validated his draft stock as a pick in the top half of the first round with the potential to go in the top 10.

Kuechly was all over the field in 2011, giving a weekly illustration of how effective a linebacker can be when he has elite instincts and top-notch intelligence. Kuechly has enough speed to get in position to go along with excellent tackling technique.

Against Miami, the junior set ACC and school records for career tackle totals, along with providing the game-winning score on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown. He had nine tackles and his interception, plus a pass breakup that came deep downfield in tight coverage on speedster wide receiver Tommy Streeter.

Kuechly was extremely active against Florida State, recording 20 tackles (plus helped force a fumble, but was not officially credited with it). All game, he made big plays and was always around the football.

Kuechly amassed 191 tackles with 12 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and three interceptions in 2011. He was the lone bright spot on a disappointing team. If Boston College was bowl eligible, Kuechly would have, almost certainly, exceeded 200 tackles on the season. He left Boston College with a tackle total of 532.

8/25/11: Luke Kuechly, a consensus All-American, led the nation in tackles in 2010 with 183. That included a 110 solo tackles. The All-American also contributed 10.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and three interceptions. Kuechly has fabulous instincts and is extremely intelligent. He is a hard-working student of the game, and is a safe pick to be a productive, in-the-box run defender. As a freshman, Kuechly had 158 tackles with 13 tackles for a loss and four passes broken up. Kuechly is not an elite athlete, but definitely is a top-20 pick.

dovershores
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Kuechly

SF Dolphin Fan
04-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Luke Kuechly is a future All Pro. He will start and have a big impact as a rookie.

K Dansby has at best two seasons left, he is overpaid and it not a elite player. We are going to have a huge hole there soon.This. Both Dansby and Burnett are over 30 and this unit needs a good young player to build around. Kuechly would be an awesome pick.

foozool13
04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Kuechly at #8 would be 100% ok with me, Coples would be too as far as defensive players.

If we draft Barron, which ther is NO WAY that is going to happen, Ireland should be fired before round 2 the next day.

TedSlimmJr
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

K Dansby has at best two seasons left, he is overpaid and it not a elite player. We are going to have a huge hole there soon.

Exactly. The teams that draft well are the one's that are able to see the holes on the roster before they become the Grand Canyon... and address them properly ahead of time.

It doesn't take a genius of a GM to see a hole after it's already there with a flashing neon sign and attempt to address it by overpaying or reaching.

Just like a great quarterback anticipates and throws his receivers open, a great organization anticipates holes ahead of time and doesn't pass up the opportunity to go ahead and address it ahead of time with one of the best players in the draft.

Miami couldn't see the hole at linebacker they were going to have in a year, so they passed up Patrick Willis. They couldn't see the hole at pass rusher they were going to have in a year, so they passed up Clay Matthews.

The Dolphins own inability to properly identify probable solutions at quarterback despite adequate opportunities to do so has put them behind the 8-ball. They finally realize the importance of the position... they're just now catching up to the rest of the league.... again.

This has put them in a position where the desperate fanbase is ready to reach for a 2nd round quarterback in the top 10 just to say they drafted one. Meanwhile passing up the best players in the draft that will help this football team this year, next year, and 8 years from now.

I'm repeating myself but I'll say it again... if I stay at #8 I'm taking an elite player at another position and not apologizing for it.

Whoever it was that said "Need is a terrible evaluator" couldn't be more dead on. Miami should know that better than anyone.

garganoz3
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Luke Kuechly I think would be a great pick for Miami. Everyone seems to think we're going with Tannehill for some reason

Regulus
04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Keuchly would be a great pick. A future all pro and leader of your defense for a decade.